Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I was serious. I'm gonna drop a grand piano on this guy for using a console command

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Feels good getting to novac and emptying your p-what the gently caress do you mean i’ve been carrying around a 50lb wood chipper and three fission batteries?!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

esquilax posted:

I don't actually think anyone here was being that serious

I like the Lucky 38 suite but that's really inconvenient from a gameplay perspective :(

Not as bad as it used to be with an SSD and a modern computer, but still annoying. Is there a good mod for that?

I like Afterschool Special, which lets you fix up the schoolhouse in Goodsprings: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43757

For sorting out your various items, there's nothing as good as Stash Organizer: https://mod.pub/falloutnv/4-stash-organizer

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

esquilax posted:

I like the Lucky 38 suite but that's really inconvenient from a gameplay perspective :(

Not as bad as it used to be with an SSD and a modern computer, but still annoying. Is there a good mod for that?

I haven't used this mod in particular, but it adds convenient fast travel points to Freeside and The Strip. The discussion posts aren't full of people claiming it's broken, so it might help!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

esquilax posted:

Oh it's not serious at all, I just thought I'd explain why people (including myself) suddenly started posting low carry weight propaganda, as you seemed a bit surprised at that. I find rhetoric interesting, examining how framing and phrasing affects how people respond. Needless to say, I'm autistic.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 25, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

esquilax posted:

I think the last time I played whatever I got off Wabbajack had a fast travel point which dumped you inside the suite.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

you can play a game wrong

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
There’s a mod called the Overlook that adds a cramped little ranger station on the long road near Novac. Combines form and function pretty well and it’s not particularly overpowered.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

DaysBefore posted:

Obsessively collecting every single unique weapon in the game but only ever using a single pistol ftw

That too, well mostly.
Half the time I try to figure out what signature weapons I want to use for a run. Which works so and so for the most time.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I did a playthrough where I tried to use every named weapon in the game, and it was a lot of fun.

My current playthrough uses unarmed weapons and Annabelle. The missile launcher feels like it's looking for a big group of oblivious enemies to hit, but it's so rare to actually see that.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Feels good getting to novac and emptying your p-what the gently caress do you mean i’ve been carrying around a 50lb wood chipper and three fission batteries?!

Legit have problems that the craftable weapons from 3 don't exist, keep on forgetting that makes things like the wood chipper absolute trash not worth picking up. That guy's shack before Black Mountain is filled with things that are treasure in 3 and near worthless in NV. The fission batteries can be turned into Madre Chips, though, eventually.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Coming back from the Sierra Madre with to my stash of 134 Fission batteries and realising I never did the dialogue options to unlock counterfit chips lmao

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
The quick loot mod is a godsend but i do pick up alot of poo poo without realising,like this loving ghoul from black mountain.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He's an open book written in Spanish with a few pages missing. He's cool.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Real chads set carry weight to zero.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Discendo Vox posted:

Real chads set carry weight to zero.

https://youtu.be/eZ7MFTBjJS8?si=GbAMzBaZcwHBRB6c

Pooperscooper
Jul 22, 2007
I get all the guides for how to mod New Vegas on PC but how do I do all that stuff on the Steamdeck? Is there a well known guide for that? Like do I do it on PC then transfer it over somehow?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I wondered if I could make a mod that gives you Explosive 45-70 ammo that you can fire out of the Ranger Sequoia. I could and then immediately broke both of my arms by firing it at a Legion soldier while standing too close.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pooperscooper posted:

I get all the guides for how to mod New Vegas on PC but how do I do all that stuff on the Steamdeck? Is there a well known guide for that? Like do I do it on PC then transfer it over somehow?

Just install the mods like you normally would manually, or use Vortex, or whatever they're calling the Linux version of Nexus Mod Manager these days.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pwnstar posted:

I wondered if I could make a mod that gives you Explosive 45-70 ammo that you can fire out of the Ranger Sequoia. I could and then immediately broke both of my arms by firing it at a Legion soldier while standing too close.

I wonder if you can give explosions a "direction" so they do more damage to enemies and less damage to you. I guess a "reduced explosion damage to player" effect on the ammo or something like that would simulate it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Pooperscooper posted:

This might help you

v1ld posted:

This is a write up on how to set up modding for Skyrim on the Steam Deck, figured I'd reproduce it here since it mostly applies to FNV as well. All of the external tools and SKSE extensions Just Work for Skyrim, so I'd expect most of the FNV tooling to as well. This includes xEdit, xLODGen, every SKSE plugin including one that needed extra DLLs in the game's root folder, BethINI, DyndoLOD & TexGen, Synthesis and Nemesis. The only thing I haven't tried yet is Wabbajack - and I now know how to run that too (see below for how to run arbitrary programs in a Proton prefix - use that to launch Wabbajack, should work though I haven't tried it).

I keep meaning to write up the Steam Deck modding process properly, but keep putting it off. Here's the stream of consciousness version so something is out there before I forget.

Use the MO2 installer at https://github.com/rockerbacon/modorganizer2-linux-installer - but be SURE to run the game at least once through Steam before doing this. By running the game, Steam will create the Wine/Proton prefix needed to run MO2 and all the other tools you need. This will also create the registry entries other tools will need to find your Skyrim install.

The prefix is a folder at /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid> where's Skyrim SE's appid is 489830. If you ever bork your MO2 setup somehow and need to clean your underlying Windows state, either remove or rename that folder and relaunch the game from Steam. This will recreate a fresh one for you. The prefix is essentially a brand new Windows install for just that game to run in, so you can then reinstall any programs you had installed in the borked instance and nothing is really lost. This works because all of your mods and other state are all in the MO2 install, which is all outside the prefix.

The MO2 Linux installer has a dependency on protontricks which you can install through the Discover app in Desktop Mode which installs a Flatpak. That failed for me, but it shouldn't have so do try it. I chose to instead have Arch, the underlying Linux distro under SteamOS, install it by enabling Arch package installation on the Deck. Here's one write up on how to enable rw on your internal filesystem and enable the Arch keys needed: https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/t8al0i/install_arch_packages_on_your_steam_deck/ Once you've done this, run "yay -S protontricks" from the konsole command line and respond y to the prompts.

One detail worth noting is that the MO2 Linux installer assumes you're going to run Skyrim 1.6.* and installs a SKSE for 1.6 for you. Suggest removing that and putting in the SKSE version of your choice instead. If you need 1.5.97, use the Unofficial Downgrade Patcher from the Nexus and run it as an exe from within MO2, works very well. Don't forget to switch out the SKSE Data/Scripts folder when doing this! SKSE installs dlls, exes and a scripts folder of its own - that scripts folder is tied to the SKSE version and must be swapped out when you change SKSE versions. You can let MO2 manage SKSE's scripts for you since they're under Data\.

Once you have MO2 up and running, most things can be run directly through it by adding them as launchers. This would be stuff like xEdit, DyndoLOD, Synthesis, etc. I suggest installing such external tools, well, externally: I use /home/deck/Games/Skyrim/<tool>. So install them under that folder then add them to MO2 using the gear icon in MO2.

One final useful trick: if you want to install software or run a program within the prefix for a game here's how you do it. Remember, a prefix is a Windows install specific to that game which is stored under /home/deck/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/<appid>. Let's assume you want to install .NET 6.0 which is needed for the Synthesis patcher into the Skyrim prefix, appid 489830. First download the .NET SDK installer for Windows x64, which should download to your ~/Downloads folder. Then run:
code:
WINEESYNC=1 WINEFSYNC=1 protontricks-launch --appid 489830 ~/Downloads/dotnet-sdk-6.0.401-win-x64.exe
Main thing here is getting the --appid correct.

Like I said above, don't worry about messing up your prefix, it's pretty easy to create a new one. MO2 stopped working for me when I put in the latest VC++ libraries yesterday for example. Easy: blow away old prefix, launch game through Steam so it creates a new one, reinstall a few programs I need using the above protontricks-launch tool.

LOOT is built into MO2 - it's the Sort button on the Plugins tab. No need to install it separately.

The way the Linux MO2 installer works is to replace SkyrimSELauncher.exe with a little program that launches MO2 instead for you. So when you press Play for Skyrim SE from within Steam, it will launch MO2. I suggest creating a shortcut to SKSE on the MO2 by clicking the Shortcut button next to Run in the MO2 interface, then selecting Toolbar and Menu. You can then launch the game by tapping the SKSE icon that will be on the MO2 toolbar.

When doing a long modding session, MO2 will eventually slow down over time. I tend to close and re-open it when it gets slow. Similarly, my game with ~200 mods and a *lot* of SKSE plugins tends to launch really slowly but is perfectly fine once it is up and running. I run it with a 30 fps cap and a screen refresh rate of 60 fps. 40/40 was working fine with CPU to spare until I went crazy with DyndoLOD but that's a perfectly fine price to pay for those LODs in my case.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

anyone know if the bug fixes in Viva New Vegas fix the GRA version of the assault carbine not working with the grunt perk?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't that one fixed by the YUP bug fix?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Isn't that one fixed by the YUP bug fix?

you're right, it does. I should have control+f'd "grunt" instead of "carbine"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
need some help troubleshooting. i resinstalled and went through viva new vegas and i am having an issue with one of the mods, [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/81641?tab=files&file_id=1000123296]B42 Optics[/url]. i nticed i was getting like a crescent moon black part on the scope so i looked up on the nexus page this video to fix it, and i did the adjustments...but i can't get it to save?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiIXALEBpgE

i press right control + enter and it just doesn't save. i can un zoom and zoom in and it'll be broken again. i went and opened the B42 Optics\Config\B42Optics\Guns folder and checked and the file for the gun i'm trying to adjust (gobi scout rifle\WeapNVSniperRifleUnique.ini) and it's not being altered at all. i've tried the suggestion in the nexus page comments to change the right control key to something else in the B42 Optics\NVSE\plugins\scripts\ln_B42Optics.txt file and even tried just uninstalling the mod, restarting MO2, and reinstalling, but it still won't save any adjustments. it's driving me nuts

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

site posted:

need some help troubleshooting. i resinstalled and went through viva new vegas and i am having an issue with one of the mods, [url]https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/81641?tab=files&file_id=1000123296]B42 Optics[/url]. i nticed i was getting like a crescent moon black part on the scope so i looked up on the nexus page this video to fix it, and i did the adjustments...but i can't get it to save?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiIXALEBpgE

i press right control + enter and it just doesn't save. i can un zoom and zoom in and it'll be broken again. i went and opened the B42 Optics\Config\B42Optics\Guns folder and checked and the file for the gun i'm trying to adjust (gobi scout rifle\WeapNVSniperRifleUnique.ini) and it's not being altered at all. i've tried the suggestion in the nexus page comments to change the right control key to something else in the B42 Optics\NVSE\plugins\scripts\ln_B42Optics.txt file and even tried just uninstalling the mod, restarting MO2, and reinstalling, but it still won't save any adjustments. it's driving me nuts

this sounds like a permissions issue, so let's ask 2 basic questions that can help narrow it down:

1) you are actually RUNNING new vegas through mod organizer right? like you don't only touch mods in there, to launch the game you're supposed to choose (in your case, probably NVSE) as an executable at the upper right and run it to start the game.

2) where is your original fallout new vegas install through steam? is it under c:/program files/ ? that can cause issues.

if the answer to the first is YES and the second is NO, then in the RIGHT pane of mod organizer, under the data tab, search for "WeapNVSniperRifleUnique.ini" and check that it's there. If it is, right click on it, choose reveal in Explorer, and then in the Windows Explorer window that comes up, make sure the file is not set to read only. (This is likely NOT the same file you opened before.)

Or you could already know Mod Organizer and in which case I sound like I'm talking down to you, in which case I apologize, just starting with the basics that come to mind.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
1. yes i run it through MO2 and nvse is being loaded. the command prompt box opens, it's reading in console in game, and all the other mods are fine as far as i can tell

2. nv is not installed in program files and i've checked all the files in the B42Optics mod folder and none are marked read-only

quote:

then in the RIGHT pane of mod organizer, under the data tab, search for "WeapNVSniperRifleUnique.ini" and check that it's there. If it is, right click on it, choose reveal in Explorer, and then in the Windows Explorer window that comes up, make sure the file is not set to read only. (This is likely NOT the same file you opened before.)

e: wait sorry it looks like the WeapNVSniperRifleUnique.ini in Iron Sights Aligned\config\ISControl does have a modified timestamp from last night when i was messing with it. so it is saving, just not in the place i was looking (e2: just went in altered stuff and saved, and the file did change so that is indeed the right file). but then why is it still breaking i wonder

site fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 28, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Honestly, sometimes a few of the gun sights just are hosed with that mod. I like it but it requires a lot of turning it on and off again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
bummer. have you tried NV True Scopes? is that any less buggy?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'm having a blast with Mr. New Vegas' Secret Stash, but it would be even better if the songs would play automatically as the quest text first appears on the hud.

I'm sure a submod doing that doesn't exist presently, but is it even possible?

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Arbite posted:

I'm having a blast with Mr. New Vegas' Secret Stash, but it would be even better if the songs would play automatically as the quest text first appears on the hud.

I'm sure a submod doing that doesn't exist presently, but is it even possible?

I'm no modding expert, but definitely not easily. There don't appear to be any functions for setting a radio to a specific track. Stewie's tweaks lets you set prev/next radio track hotkeys, so I imagine it's possible, but Stewie is able to get deep into the engine guts in ways typical modders aren't going to.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Reinstalling the game with mods, I've forgotten how hard it is to get WMX and WRP to work well together. :shepicide:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Reinstalling the game with mods, I've forgotten how hard it is to get WMX and WRP to work well together. :shepicide:

Those surely have been superseded by newer mods at this point, no?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Those surely have been superseded by newer mods at this point, no?

I looked and as far as I can tell WRP is the most update (because Millinia came back to update all the textures to her newer and better F4 textures) and MWX is the only weapon mods mod that kinda works as far as I can tell (WME is it's own can of worms).

You're a life-saver! Thank you so much.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Apr 29, 2024

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Back Hack posted:

I looked and as far as I can tell WRP is the most update (because Millinia came back to update all the textures to her newer and better F4 textures) and MWX is the only weapon mods mod that kinda works as far as I can tell (WME is it's own can of worms).

There's aWRP.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

NickPancakes posted:

I'm no modding expert, but definitely not easily. There don't appear to be any functions for setting a radio to a specific track. Stewie's tweaks lets you set prev/next radio track hotkeys, so I imagine it's possible, but Stewie is able to get deep into the engine guts in ways typical modders aren't going to.

The "radio system" is literally just a dialog tree, using the same system as idle barks and dialog. It would probably be POSSIBLE, but it would be a huge tedious pain in the rear end to implement.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

There's a scripted moment where Kick in the Head plays the first time you enter The Strip but I doubt that's tied to a quest stage

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

After watching the show I decided to go back to Fallout: NV. Instead of going custom like I used to way back I just used Wabbajack and installed TTW: Begin Again. It feels pretty okay to play and all the QoL changes are fantastic (quick inventory is a loving godsend). It's not super well balanced but I don't really play Bethesda games for that anyway. I never played TTW before and it's cool but gosh, putting Fallout 3 and New Vegas side by side perfectly accentuates the difference in the quality of writing between the two games. There's a cleverness and verve with responses in New Vegas, particularly with dialog checks but it's so much lamer in 3. Characters written as intelligent in New Vegas come off as such, whereas every single NPC in 3 comes across as stilted and basic. It's hard to put into words why it's so much worse, but it totally is.

I think I prefer how New Vegas world is laid out, with the intended path that you can ignore with enough persistence. But I've always felt that 3 had the more visually evocative world. It's funny how in spite of all the similar game mechanics how different the two are even when they're combined, travelling between the two areas still feels like I'm switching between two distinct games, only my character is the same.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Apr 29, 2024

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Are there any mods that give some kind of identity to the Jackals and Vipers lol. I did install one cool armour pack that inserted armoured vault suits into their levelled lists which was nice. Sure it makes no sense that they'd still be wearing them after almost 200 years, but I don't care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

DaysBefore posted:

Are there any mods that give some kind of identity to the Jackals and Vipers lol. I did install one cool armour pack that inserted armoured vault suits into their levelled lists which was nice. Sure it makes no sense that they'd still be wearing them after almost 200 years, but I don't care

Mojave Raiders makes the Jackals and Vipers more tribal, and adds a lot more raiders in general. No idea how much it does to give them more unique identities from each other though. It's well liked and considered well made, but it's definitely a difficulty boost too, so bear that in mind.