Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

“Horns” posted:

Goes great with the Pipboy Readius (now your light won't mysteriously emanate from nowhere).

This actually bothers people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

icantfindaname posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but are Nevada Skies and URWLNV compatible?

Yes, it is a stupid question, because Nevada Skies includes an optional URWL compatibility patch on its Nexus listing, and its FAQ describes specifically what load order it should occur in.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Brace posted:

Does FOMM auto-update? I have some setting ticked I think that automatically updates something or other, and I thought it might include FOMM.

No, you have to manually update through a menu option. It’s a two-part check; first it’ll look for updates to the load order template, then it’ll look for updates to FOMM itself.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

My personal experience with enhanced shaders wasn’t very pleasant. I have an overclocked Q6600 and a 4850 X2. The enhanced shaders would cut my framerate in half, guaranteed.

I don’t think they add much to the experience, even though the screenshots are quite pretty. Downloading the detailed normal texture pack and some sort of depth of field mod would be a much better route, IMO.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Arenovalis posted:

workin' on the anti-mat rifle

v.early

Excellent. Can’t wait for this one.

Do you have any plans to retexture the preorder weapons, like the Weathered 10mm Pistol and the Sturdy Caravan Shotgun?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“Chronojam” posted:

As for new mods, Covered Face For Less Reputation looks interesting. Anytime you have an outfit/mask/helmet that shrouds your appearance, any modifcation to your standings is reduced. The theory is that nobody knows for sure if it was really you behind that gas mask or power helmet. I'm not sure the full list of helmets/masks it affects but the idea sounds good, without the need to modify any base items either.

Finally. I always thought it was bizarre that everyone could recognize the Courier even if his/her face was hidden.

Needed: a mod that allows stealth status to factor into reputation loss/gain for an action. After all, if you’re hidden and you blow up the BoS bunker, no one REALLY saw who did it…

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Fire axe that lights enemies on fire

I’ll just leave this here.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I've never found it :smith:

Bring some good armor and a strong weapon, and go north from Horowitz Farmstead. One mini-looting spree later will put the unique Gauss Rifle, the YCS/186, in your possession.

You can also buy a standard Gauss Rifle occasionally at the Silver Rush, or in the BoS bunker.

Lastly, there’s a shack in the mountains to the immediate west of New Vegas, north of the Fiend-controlled area, that has a very low condition Gauss Rifle inside.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 12, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Brace posted:

What about the NV-URWL Compatibility patch esp ?

The Nevada Skies description says that the URWL compatibility patch takes the place of the stand-alone URWL. Therefore, you uncheck the stand-alone URWL if you have it, then move NV-URWL into the recommended slot.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

potaties posted:

I'm not 100% positive that's even necessary, though. It seems to be for an older version of URWL, so I think they're just natively compatible now, aside from disabling the weather effects in Nevada Skies.

I haven’t looked at Nevada Skies for a few weeks, but my understanding is that the only way it achieves compatibility with URWL is by basically using its own version, thus the compatibility patch and the very outdated version.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"suicide.boy” posted:

It's not lore friendly in the slightest…

So what? Seriously, you’re downloading mods. Lore friendliness should not be a requirement of a good mod, as the TARDIS proves.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Mod of the day: Methclaw, a drug-dealing Deathclaw. And it can talk.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Nevada Skies - URWLified is out. Combines Nevada Skies with URWL into one mod. You still need to install the Nevada Skies data pack to get it working, but this substitutes fully for Nevada Skies and its URWL compatibility patch.

I tried it for a couple of in-game days and it works like a charm. This really should go into the OP.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

A Lamer posted:

I don't know if this will fix your crashing or match what you're looking for, but this is what I've got:

You’re doing it wrong. Nevada Skies URWLified replaces URWL.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Periodiko posted:

Is it good? I kind of got turned off in the first 30 minutes of my modded restart when it appeared to do nothing but spawn rats randomly into the overworld. I just got the vibe that all the mod was doing was taking my level, cross-referencing it with a really simple table of monsters, and plopping them down randomly.

IWS does reference level, but it also references geography. For example, once you hit the areas east of Nipton and south of Novac, you run into more Vipers and much more Legion. If you have the patrols pack installed, you get some nice battles between NCR patrols and Legion raiding parties.

Cazador spawns get increased in the northeast and northwest, along with ghouls in the northeast, geckos in the central areas, etc.

IWS is the best of its kind, IMO.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Roman posted:

OK, I just loaded the Core and the Civilians .esp and all of a sudden there's 3 Centaurs in The Devil's Gullet? Really, now.

Yeah, with IWS, Centaurs will appear at every toxic dump site. They’ll even appear at the small site just to the north of the ranger station near Novac. And the places where Centaurs already spawned by default, like Jackrabbit Springs, will have even more Centaurs.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“Syrant” posted:

Mod Idea: Special order gun-runners merchandise. Price +value% for the rarity/level of the gun, take a few days, then pick it up or have it ship to a Mojave Express bin? Maybe a container by the gun runners would work.

Already exists.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

I SAID LISTEN posted:

Is this the kind of game I should play through on vanilla at least once before piling on the mods?

That would probably be best, yes.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Schubalts posted:

What was the texture mod that replaced third-person weapon textures with their first-person versions?

e: Found it.

FYI, it’s part of the community bugfix patch now.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Soy Sauce Beast posted:

Holy crap, that's A Clockwork Orange encounter. Is that in the vanilla game, or is it in a mod?

That’s New Vegas Bounties.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Brace posted:

So I downloaded IWS High Spawns and all 3 optional files, but my game started getting kind of laggy, and I'm in New Vegas. Any way to rectify this?

Switch to medium spawns?

Though I don’t think IWS is your problem. New Vegas stutters due to all the neon lighting and Facegen choking on all the NPCs.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Caesar’s Legion Overhaul has a new release, apparently with far fewer bugs. IMO, this is an essential mod… if it works right.

And Nevada Skies URWLified has updated with an optional add-on that adjusts the Strip’s nighttime weather lighting.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“FadedReality” posted:

There are a few there in the unmodded game but my screenshot also doesn't properly capture how many were out there. It must have been 10 full sized cazadors and 5-6 young cazadors.

IWS definitely turns the tribal village into a deathtrap. Yes, there are cazadores in the tribal village in vanilla NV; there aren’t 20 of them as there are in IWS.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Your electro-city and Nevada Skies - URWLified are probably screwing it up. Push them to the bottom of the load order as so:

Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - CompletedWorkorders.esp
ELECTRO-CITY - Imaginator.esp

Also, URWLNV.esp is redundant because you're using Nevada Skies - URWLified.esp. Get rid of that.

Other way around. Nevada Skies - URWLified goes after ELECTRO-CITY.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"Cream-of-Plenty” posted:

No poo poo? If that's the case, I've been doing it wrong all along. Guess I got them mixed up. Are you sure?

Straight from the mod’s Nexus page:

quote:

Load Order Recommendations
--------------------------------------------
FalloutNV.esm
(other .esms)
Ambient Temperature.esm
(other .esps)
Electro City - Completed Workorders
Electro City - Highways and Byways
Nevada Skies - URWLified
Ambient Temperature - URWLified Nevada Skies.esp
Stripnights Illuminator
Electro City - The Imaginator

Edit: P.S. Do I get a Duke tag for setting this straight? Duke clearly appreciates having the proper lighting conditions in and around Vegas.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“Apotheosis” posted:

Also like my Morrowind character, he has a massive sword.

That katana really isn’t massive. Now, the Bumper Sword…

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

I’m getting the same error. It occurs when FOMM checks for a version update. Load order template checking is still okay.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“Flaky” posted:

I always loved the idea of factions in my RPGs, and the vanilla effort was needlessly lacking, given they took out a number of the 'factions' from Fallout 3 for which most of the resources already existed.

Most of those factions don’t exist on the west coast in the Fallout universe. Even Fallout 3’s super mutants aren’t the same as those in 1 and 2. Fallout 3 in a lot of ways is an aberration in the overall series.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

rope kid posted:

.22 LR and .223 Rem. are both considered varmint rounds, though the former is used against smaller critters (e.g. gophers) while the latter is used against markedly larger ones (e.g. coyotes) and at longer distances due to .223 Rem's flatter trajectory.

If the Varmint Rifle were semi-auto and fired quickly enough, I probably would have left it as a .22 LR rifle. But because it was a bolt-action, the low DAM of .22 LR (assuming I kept it in the ballpark of other .22 LR guns) made it really unattractive. As soon as I bumped it up into the rough DAM range of other 5.56mm weapons, people liked using it.

Did you consider having the Varmint Rifle given out by Sunny Smiles be in higher default condition? That would have solved the problem right there, IMO. Weaker caliber, but good condition.

I recently started a new game with the .22LR Varmint Rifle mod and it actually becomes useful for more than five minutes. Once it’s fixed, that is.

rope kid posted:

I can't even truthfully say that I'm insulted by this as much as puzzled. I really don't get how you can look at what our team generated in 18 months using technology that literally none of us (excepting Jorge Salgado, who joined the team halfway through) had used before and come away thinking that we were lazy. Uncreative, sloppy, incompetent -- these all make a lot more sense to me than "lazy”.

Don’t be puzzled. He’s basically using a lot of window dressing to state that he expected New Vegas to be Fallout 3 all over again, possibly because Fallout 3 was his gateway game to the franchise and so has no conception of what 1 and 2 were like or about. Process of elimination: there’s really no reason to complain that New Vegas didn’t sufficiently recycle assets from Fallout 3 unless one thinks that Fallout 3 is the normal order of things in the Fallout universe.

I’d say there are plenty of factions in New Vegas, judging by the content of the Pip-Boy’s reputation tracker.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Feb 21, 2011

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

"Flaky” posted:

I can assure Terpfen that, while I own and played both Fallout 1 and 2, I did miss out on the joys of un-modded Oblivion that I assume are responsible for his feelings about Fallout 3.

Never played Oblivion, so I’m not sure what you’re referencing there.

quote:

What I did not expect, and therefore was not disappointed by regarding Fallout NV was that it equal, upon release, my experience with modded Fallout 3. This was clearly impossible given the 18 month time frame.

I highly doubt the objective was to compete with the mod community of Fallout 3.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

^^^^^ Incorporating good ideas from the mod community does not mean they were competing with the mod community. There wouldn’t be a GECK for NV otherwise.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Arenovalis posted:

I already started retexturing the Dead Money BAR :'D
Am I sad or what?

You are awesome, that’s what. Is this coming out in a new version of FOOK?

Also I have to admit, I’d like to see you texture some contemporary weapon mods. Just for the sake of replayability, I’ve been using guns like the FN SCAR that could use better texturing. There’s also a Beretta M92 Samurai Edge mod on the Nexus that needs some texture and GECK scripting help.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Arenovalis posted:

Well it's gonna be a part of my retexture project (which is also a part of FOOK) so yeah technically :D

Great. Here’s hoping FOOK has a nice update in store. I use it more for the various fixes than the ported FO3 content, have to admit.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Naky posted:

The M92SE's mesh is half the issue. It's not really set up for NV type animation. It was easier for me to nuke the original mesh and somewhat rebuild it using existing models than to try to make it work but it's still not really true to the design.

Tell the mod author. He’s been struggling with bugs the entire time.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Roman posted:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40499

That was fast. Adds Dead Money weapons to perk lists they're missing from.

Jeez… really?

rope kid, if you’re out there, could you talk about this? Why are there so many of these bugs? I’m not complaining, just genuinely curious how this stuff falls through the cracks.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

“UberJumper” posted:

Is FOOK recommended and is it stable enough for a full playthrough?

FOOK is good for the amount of bugfixes and polish it adds to the game, but lately it’s been adding Fallout 3 content into the game (like weapons and raider/Fiend equipment) and I’m not a big fan of that. It’s worth a try but it’s probably not for everyone.

quote:

Otherwise is there any other sort of good overhaul mods recommended?

Try out Project Nevada.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

DemonNick posted:

I haven't hit any real bugs in it. The balance feels a little off, like it's aimed endgame level characters even though by the endgame you've given up caring about poo poo like all the gold in the vault or money in general.

The fact that the weapons don’t work with established perks is a pretty big bug by itself.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Gyshall posted:

there are mods that fix that already

DemonNick posted:

That's not really a bug, it's more of an oversight. And there was a mod out to fix it like an hour after Dead Money came out.

Yeah, guys, I realize there’s a mod out to fix it. The point is, it shouldn’t be necessary in the first place.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

DemonNick posted:

It's not really a huge deal though? Sure it shouldn't have happened, and if Obs is professional at all it'll be fixed in the upcoming patch.

There’s a patch in the works with a lot of fixes included, but having weapons work with the correct perks is sort of a basic thing that should make it in to begin with, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

white quilt posted:

Soooo I don't know what exactly I'm doing wrong here with regards to NVSE buuut here's what's going on.

On a fresh install of New Vegas, I copy nvse_loader.exe, nvse_1_1.dll, nvse_editor_1_1.dll and nvse_steam_loader.dll to valve/steamapps/common/fallout new vegas as instructed by the readme. Then, make sure "enable steam community in game" is ticked, and then try to launch the game. I get to the launcher, click play, and then I get literally nothing afterwards.

If I untick "enable steam community in-game", the game launches fine, and "getNVSEVersion" returns '1', so apparently it's working, but when I install a mod that requires NVSE, like this one, the NVSE features don't seem to work. Ie: I can't assign hotkeys to turn nightvision on and off, etc. So I'm confused.

Get FOMM. Set it to launch NVSE. Done.