Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hey so I've been playing around with 'wasteland defense' (where you build your own fort) and I was wondering, do any of you use a safehouse mod in addition to wasteland defense?

Like the 'Yangtze Bunker' mod looks like it has a fort build into it, and the 'Underground Hideout' mod looks to be in a pretty narrow area of land (not very much room above ground to build).

Basically, all I really need is a way to spawn a storage container or two that are flagged 'non-owned' or whatever so I can safely store my junk somewhere in the fort. But a player house type mod that I could build around would be perfect.

How difficult is it to create these mods? Could I potentialy create some sewer drain somewhere that links to a tiny generic room with a few lockers? Or does modding like that take a ton of effort?

Anyway any suggestions would be appreciated. Ideally I'd like my storage area/house surrounded by my wasteland defense fort surrounded by my 'Real Time Settler' town and enough room to do it.

The insane bastard deep inside of me thanks you.

e;

Is that underground hideout?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Heti posted:

The latest version of underground hideout has an item that lets you move the entrance so you can stick it wherever you want.
Awesome thank you so much!

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Brace posted:

Using URWL is seriously like playing a new game, it looks so much better then the original.

Also, how do I reset my CASM hotkey? :smith:

I installed URWL, did the recommended changes in the .ini's. The games brighter during the day but the colors seem like, super saturated or something. My beret is like so red it's hurting my eyes. Did I do something wrong?

The changes he reccomends are:

quote:

I also suggest you alter the lightfade and specular settings
for maximum result in the new vegas area by editing
falloutprefs.ini, fallout.ini in the my documents/my games
directory and fallout_default.ini in the install directory.
with the settings below. it will spruce up the entire game by the way.
Keep in mind that they go into the display section as shown.
[Display]
fLightLODDefaultStartFade=10240.0000
fLightLODRange=10240.0000
fLightLODMinStartFade=10240.0000
fLightLODMaxStartFade=10240.0000

fSpecularLODDefaultStartFade=10240.0000
fSpecularLODRange=10240.0000
fSpecularLODMinStartFade=10240.0000
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=10240.0000

This is with brightness close to the lowest setting. Like this cow is ORANGE man. (it's worse in game, the cow is glowing super bright.)

Any ideas?

e; At night the game looks awesome though.

Umph fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 10, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

A good question. I didn't launch the game until I followedN his steps. Not sure what the defaults are now. Ill have to try and find them tonnorow when I get on and see. I was googling specular and I guess that has to do with light reflecting, which might explain my glowing cow re- the .ini

Oh hey it seems like he specifies the ini changes for the strip area. I haven't left novak hardly and he probably means for the nightime city lighting. Thats probably my problem.

Umph fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jan 10, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Ara posted:

This is what my game looks like after installing URWLNV (I think, if that's a weather/lighting one). I have the glowing cow, too. I thought that that was just what the game looked like when you removed the orange filter on everything. It's only SUPER bright like that in big exposed areas.

Hmm, well after I fiddle with it if it stays like that I may revert. Seems overkill maybe.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Does anyone know of any place to find object lists with IDs? Like if I wanted to place a certain wall somewhere, one not included in wasteland Defense. I use "placeatme" right? Anyway, can't find object codes anywhere.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Demerzel posted:

That lighting does look nice, Fellout is great when there's no source of lighting around, and when it's sparse.

Where it sucks is large open areas where a light is 50 feet away and 10 feet away and it's pitch black where you're standing and you can't see the light 50 feet away and only barely 10 feet away. H
Hey if you do this the lighting shouldn't ever fade. Youll be able to see house light miles off in the distance. Makes downtown look wicked rad too.

code:
 I also suggest you alter the 
lightfade and specular settings for 
maximum result in the new vegas 
area by editing falloutprefs.ini, 
fallout.ini in the my documents/my 
games directory and fallout_default.ini 
in the install directory. with the 
settings below. it will spruce up the 
entire game by the way. Keep in mind 
that they go into the display section 
as shown.

[Display] 

fLightLODDefaultStartFade=10240.0000 
fLightLODRange=10240.0000 
fLightLODMinStartFade=10240.0000 
fLightLODMaxStartFade=10240.0000 

fSpecularLODDefaultStartFade=10240.0000 
fSpecularLODRange=10240.0000 
fSpecularLODMinStartFade=10240.0000 
fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=10240.0000 
You need fellout or the other lighting one in the op for this to work.

Umph fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 13, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I have a weird question.

I disabled a building and some other stuff that was in the way of the city I'm building, and now when I go inside a building a pop back out, when the game world reloads there's like a 'ghost' version of the stuff I disabled. It's like a super low rez version of the building I got rid of sitting there.

If I enter a building far away it doesn't happen, only if I'm within a mile or so. Is there a way to stop the game engine from doing this? It effects saves and seems to not want to go away ever once created.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

SheepNameKiller posted:

Talking purely out my rear end it sounds like you might've not fully disabled the building, maybe you left in the building's LOD or something. It's hard to say when you're not telling us how you disabled it.
I just did it purely in game using 'disable' and clicking.

Umph fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 13, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

So my giant city made out of random pieces of garbage was going very well, but then Boone who was a bartender that I setRestrain decided to stretch from where his feet were to way over the horizon to I guess where he spawns after 5 days.

So I have a giant speghetti boone terrorizing my trash city.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress you stupid jerks and your guns please care about my trash city.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is it possible to somehow export something made in game with placement mods to the Geck? Like can you copy a region altered in game with mods into the geck for scripting?

I want to populate this area I made with scripted NPCs and maybe someday release a mod out of it, do I need to start from the ground up in the geck or is there anyway to copy it over?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Dunno if this has been posted yet but the guy behind "Electro City" has come out with an expanded new tool called "The Imaginator" that allows you to have an inventory tool to change almost everything about how the visuals in New Vegas are presented. Contrast, color saturation, filters - it's basically got everything you need to fine tune the game to look how you want it to.

http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39619

I'm a big fan of the inclusion of a saturation tool so that I can get that high contrast low color saturation look that I really enjoy and used to have to use a bullet time / vats combination glitch to get the game to look like that while I play. It's also got some depth of field options and some other things built in as well.

This is a wonderful mod. Got my game looking perfect with one mod and it's all in game. The distance blur is especially nice, the game looks so much prettier now. A+++

The screen shots don't really do it justice, the lights POP and there's no over saturation or overkill darkness like I've always ended up with all the other lighting mods.

Umph fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 16, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Just want to say thanks for keeping the OP so up to date Creme!

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is there a mod that filters out loot? Like I dont craft and I have way too many caps and ammo already ans im anal about my inventory.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

The GECK seems so intimidating to me. In the past I usually just start screwing with stuff and I can piece together how it works eventually.

I was wanting to make a mod that radios in a platoon of robots if you go the usurp mr house route. But after an hour I can't even figure out why why the render window is all red. Anyone know why its doing that ? I pull up a region or cell or model and its just a red screen. I've tried google and the wiki btw. Anyway it just seems non intuitive I guess.

Umph fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 19, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hey I opened this suit I got off the nexus in FNVEdit to lower the DT on it, and i was wondering, I see how to change DT and weight, but how do I change status effects? Like if I wanted to put a +5 stealth modifier on it, where is the field for that on FNVEit? Or isn't there one?

I looked at other items that have staus effects on them, but couldn't find any of the stats listed in FNVedit.

Thanks, I need help asap as this suit looks cool and I need it to walk around shooting things.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, like Brace said, you need to open the mod in GECK as an active file. Ideally, make it the only file you open beside the FalloutNV.esm and any masters the mod might require. From there, you can directly modify the object (DT, weight, value) under Object Window (ITEMS subdirectory for weapons and armor) or modify / create new enchantment effects under the GAME EFFECTS > OBJECT EFFECTS window.

If it helps, look at a couple of preexisting armors and object effects so you can get an idea of what you'd like to change.
Ok, I opened the geck, went to data, then loaded Fallout NV.esm, and SnazzySuit.esm. I set Snazzysuit as active file, as otherwise I get an error. Ok now I'm looking at the object window, the item category, and it;s blank. Like there are no items showing up in the object window. What am I doing wrong?

This has happened everytime I try to use the geck and I get discouraged. Thank you so much if you can help me.

edit; setting no active file did not produce errors when i reloaded, but there are still no entries in the object window under items.

Like I think when I open NewVegas.esm, in the object window there should be thousands of entries for me to start learning from, but there's hardly anything. The only object that appears is handful of random things like bobby pins and gas trapdummy.

Umph fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 29, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why is snazzy suit a master file in the first place?

I didn't say anything about master file :( The only master file I see here is FalloutNV.esm.

Thee must be one simple step I'm just not seeing in between loading .esms from the data menu and actually seeing any of that data.

e;
Like I think when I open NewVegas.esm, in the object window there should be thousands of entries for me to start learning from, but there's hardly anything. The only object that appears is handful of random things like bobby pins and gas trapdummy.

Umph fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 29, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It opened up fine for me, so I'm not sure what would be the problem. Are you using the NV version of GECK? If you try using the FO3 version, you'll have issues like these. Have you ever been able to successfully open up an NV mod in GECK?

No I have not. Maybe I am using the FO3 one, let me try and see if that's what's been wrong all this time. I try to get the dang thing to work like once a week.

e; Welp yep its the Fo3 one. I got it from the NV site I could have sworn. Thanks man I bet i'll be able to figure it all our from here.

Seriously thank you, I needed this 'ah ha' moment.

e;; Hm the geck version on the wiki is fo3. Is the 1.5 update what changes it into the new vegas version?

Umph fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 29, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Oh well there's no link on the main page of the Geck wiki for the New Vegas version of the geck, only the fo3 version, and it doesn't say anything about a different version. I found it though, how loving irritating.

Thanks again guys.

e; Yeah it all works now. I've been wanting to make mods for like 5 months but I keep getting discouraged, as every tutorial I've ever tried didn't work because of that. :eng99:

Umph fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 29, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

One last question, how do I make a custom object effect to add to the drop down list? I can't seem to find it in the editor.

e; Never mind i found it. Wheee I'm so glad this is working now. Can't wait to make my teddy bear backpack with rufee-inhalent dispenser and secret van base.

Umph fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 29, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Yay

Thanks cream o plenty.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Demerzel posted:

Needs a Rolex pipboy and one less fingerless glove.

What I really need is a tommy-gun mod. The one I tried from the nexus holsters weird.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Naky posted:

I ported one a long rear end time ago, but drat me if I can remember how it holsters. It is, however, not in my pack. I figured the one in 19th/20th injection is probably done better than my early port back when the game first came out.

I will check it out, though I just grabbed a ton of armor mods so the mobster phase maybe over before it started. Oh and is your pack released?

Umph fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 29, 2011

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is there a mod that has those eye screen things in it? Like tactical headgear type video screen thing?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

FadedReality posted:

^^^

Do you mean something like this?
Yes, thank you.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I am essentially an adult male that plays with dolls :(

And here's the fortress I built with RTS/Wasteland Defense.

After running it through zombie apocalypse I'm down to 2 guards, one turret, and apparently a group of widows drinking their sorrows away.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is there a way to change how rifles are holstered? Like make it holster vertically as if it was slung over your shoulder, instead of magically stapled to your back diagonally? I can't find where that info is stored in the geck, or any mods that do it. Any ideas?

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Is there anyway to change the 'take all' button so it's different then the "how many to take" button? I have this one box that has like 500 items in it and many of them are stacked from dozens of armor/item mods. So whenever I quickly try to sort anything I have to click the item, then click to confirm the stack size. But when I try to quickly do it to get all of them items out I accidentally click 'take all' when the item isn't stacked, so I end up instantly 10,000 weight encumbered and have to start all over, or reload.

This happens more then I would like to admit, and it's driving me loving batty.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Umph posted:

Is there anyway to change the 'take all' button so it's different then the "how many to take" button? I have this one box that has like 500 items in it and many of them are stacked from dozens of armor/item mods. So whenever I quickly try to sort anything I have to click the item, then click to confirm the stack size. But when I try to quickly do it to get all of them items out I accidentally click 'take all' when the item isn't stacked, so I end up instantly 10,000 weight encumbered and have to start all over, or reload.

This happens more then I would like to admit, and it's driving me loving batty.

I figured it out by changing an xml file. If anyone else would like to change the confirm stack size to 'f' instead of 'a' to avoid accidentally taking everything, you can put this file (quantitymenu.xml) into your data/menus folder and it will work if you use the default UI.

http://www.filedropper.com/quantitymenu

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I made a mod oh boy! http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=40032

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

potaties posted:

I was nervous since it overwrote something from DarnifiedUI (I made a backup just in case) but it seems to work just fine. And man, what a great little mod it is! Thanks for this!

Hey that's great! I'll mention it seems to work with Darnified in the thing.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

I can't even play the game anymore. All i do is mess with mods. I'm never going to finish. I seriously can't play longer then a half hour without going "you know what would be cool?" and then going and trying to make that happen for 3 hours untill i forget what i was even looking for but now I have a chainsaw gun and I'm an albino.

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Are you an African-American Albino?

No I was using humorous fictional examples. Wait can I be that oh god.

Also is there a chainsaw gun? :black101:

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Hobo on Fire posted:

Rocket propelled chainsaws:
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=38641

African american albino:
http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35447

Gotta love the nexus.

Huh, I mist have seen these at some point subliminally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umph
Apr 26, 2008

Lockback posted:

Followed your advice, crashing still happens. :(

Try disabling Electro city: Work orders. I find highways and byways to be very unstable.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Do you have the compatibility patch for Electro-City and IWS? I didn't see that in your load order.

That's probably why it's unstable, I didn't even know about that. At any rate try disabling ECWO and see if that's the conflict.