Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm not sure if it's Project Nevada or Fellout, but in my game, the godawful blue filter is gone from Cateye. Maybe that's true of Nevada Skies too, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
There isn't a mod that adds text descriptions to the items like in Fallout 3, is there? It just ain't Fallout without a warning that my 12 gauge buckshot isn't for children under 3.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Someone.

Me. I've started making one. Just wanted to make sure no one else had beat me to it and made mine redundant.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'd like to see something like this happen, actually--especially if a lot of the descriptions were pulled inspiration from FO1, FO2, and Tactics.

That's the idea, if I can find a good list of all those descriptions.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

It's just such a pain in the rear end to find the problem for me, at least, since the crash doesn't usually happen until about an hour in. But it pretty much always happens an hour in, at least.

I stripped down to just those four mods and played for like half an hour with no crashes, but still came across another weird maybe bug. Is there something in FOOK or PN that would prevent you from repairing? It doesn't seem like it happens only in combat (and I believe those options are off by default in both of the two), but rather that it's related to the effects of ingestibles.

FOOK does have a disallow repair in combat option. It's kind of annoying because Gamebryo isn't always consistent with what is and isn't combat.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Naky posted:

There are... things... being done to the files that could be extremely bad for the modding community

I assume you're talking about legal stuff but my first thought was terrible gay furry hentai being included in the archive for no other reason than Nexus.

That...that isn't it, is it? :ohdear:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Naky posted:

Let's just say these people view it as a sort of DRM, but what they're really doing is loving poo poo up bigger than they realize.

Well...

GECK EULA posted:

If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials, You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit. You also waive and agree never to assert against Bethesda Softworks or its affiliates, distributors or licensors any moral rights or similar rights, however designated, that You may have in or to any of the New Materials.

I'm no expert on copyright law but that says to me that mods made with the GECK are technically Bethesda's IP, so the guy who made Two Bears High Fiving couldn't sue because of its reference in Honest Hearts, for instance. To use models created in any program in New Vegas, I assume you have to use the GECK to define an item that uses the new models, so adding DRM is pretty flagrantly in violation. This isn't buried in the middle, btw. This is in the first clause of the document, and if you read nothing else from a EULA, you should ALWAYS read the first clause or two.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You're talking about a community that bans people for using paid stock models where the licensee owns the result of whatever they do with it. They do not comprehend copyright law at all.

Sorry, I'm posting from an alternate reality where people adhere to common sense and shun those who don't. It's a much better internet except for Something Awful, which is exactly the same.

Speaking of which, can you guys access the Nexus in your dimension? Here I'm getting a message that the servers have been wiped and Fallout Underground will be the place to get Fallout mods in the future.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Naky posted:

The Underground is where all this poo poo is originating from, sadly, so I sure as poo poo hope not.

I was hoping to deflect the magnitude of the issue with humor. Now it seems there is truly no safe place on the internet :smith:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Still working on Pip-Boy Item Descriptions (tentative title), but I may have a technical issue in the near future.

The program I'm using just adds text to the icon texture, which is probably the best way to do it, but not only do some very different items share icons (Electron Charge Packs have the same icon as standard Micro Fusion Cells) but it seems lazy to keep unique weapons with the same description as normal ones (Maria is different enough from the standard 9mm that it warrants its own flavor text). So I will probably need to make an .esp that changes the icon from the default for every item that uses a base weapon's icon.

The problem: Almost every new item in the game needs this treatment. Won't any mod that changes other things about a unique weapon or icon-reusing item conflict with mine, forcing the end user to lose either the flavor text or the item's modded properties?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Male Man posted:

Instead of altering the base icons, assign new icons to old items. That way anything you miss (or choose to ignore) and modded items will be unaffected. It'll also make it easier to keep organized for unique descriptors.

I'm not sure I understand. Don't I need an .esp to assign the new icons? :psyduck:

I'd better finish writing the descriptions first, I'll ask for help again when that's done.

edit: If anyone has specific requests for goony references to be included in some of the descriptions (YCS-186) I'm welcoming suggestions.

double edit: Unrelated, but is there a way to set companions' home location to the Sink?

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 25, 2011

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Right, I forgot the HH weapons show up at Gun Runners. They never show up on any NPCs, though, and I've never seen Dead Money weapons outside of the Sierra Madre.

It's a good thing DM is so amazing while it lasts, because it's kind of lovely to have all this new content more or less exclusive to an area you can never again return to. Well, the BAR and holorifle mods show up in the vending machine after beating it IIRC (provided you found the codes) so I'm not too bummed.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

DM weapons started showing up before I even started the DLC, actually. I just found a Police Revolver in a safe at the Repconn Test Site. :iiam:

I think it's PN though.

It is. I've never combined the two and never seen the police pistol or BAR outside the Sierra Madre.

edit: well, not unless I'm using them to slaughter the entire Fort :smug:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

VisAbsoluta posted:

Hey Cream-of-Plenty, a while ago you posted some screenshots:

Can you tell me which weapon is that one?

Isn't that Whatzit from AGSU?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I haven't used it, so it's possible it's just a bug only you're having, but I know there were mods to make non-white characters in Dragon Age 2 white, and their excuse was poo poo like "It's more visually appealing". The real reason is, of course, "I'm so sheltered that even seeing black people in my video games scares me!".

I have the same mod and the same issue. Retarded. The worst part is I just have to finish my current run before uninstalling it. I just want something that makes my NPC buddy of choice not look like a dingus :sigh:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Brace posted:

Why do you have to finish your current run before uninstalling it?

I'm always afraid adding/removing overhaul mods mid-game is a one way ticket to hosed up save city.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Dissolusion posted:

Ok, a couple of issues I'm having, just need to know how I go about finding out what's wrong. I get the big red texture missing box on a cork board outside the Nash Residence and Lt. Hayes tent area. I had a big red box for the gauss pistol from the Classic weapons mod, and fixed it to show, but ever since it doesn't fire projectiles at all, it fires but does nothing.

Any idea where I need to start looking/anyone have either of these problems before?

The cork boards are usually where bounties are posted in New Vegas Bounties II, and I recall at least one of those locations having a poster. Maybe you didn't get the loose files for NVB2?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

What is this? This is titillating.

New Vegas Bounties II. Let's just say I'm glad I had already beaten OWB when I got to that part.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Naky posted:

:negative:

... no, no good ones...

No good finished ones anyway :smug:

The Armory's not that great anyway the guns are too realistic and none of them are canon and there's not enough dirt and
:goonsay:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kharmakazy posted:

Also, dent looks and awful lot like the Stranger...

He's actually a reference to another game. Have you tried pickpocketing him?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kharmakazy posted:

I have not, but I assume hes supposed to be from Deus ex.

Yup, and he's carrying a copy of "Jacob's Shadow"

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kharmakazy posted:

Never played it.

In before 400 people tell you how wrong you are to have not played the greatest game of the 2000's. I consider this game, not Human Revolution, the most fitting successor in terms of how many outcomes there are to most situations.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Barring a major hard drive failure, I'm going to say that the Pip-Boy Item Descriptions mod I talked about a couple months ago is 75% done. I used a tool from the Fallout 3 Nexus that modifies the textures that appear in the inventory screen, updated it with New Vegas texture definitions, and wrote some snarky Fallouty text for every single one.

Now, I need a way to add all these textures to the game and have them override the existing textures without modifying item definitions in the GECK in a way that causes mod incompatibilities. Main issue I face is adding all those unique descriptions to unique weapons that use the same icon as their mundane counterparts. As it is, copying all the loose files and calling it a day will result in the Ratslayer having the same description as the Varmint Rifle, Gobi having the same text as the Sniper Rifle, etc. How do I replace the textures without causing mod conflicts??

Also, if someone could provide me with an application of the command-line dir tool or some other way to dump all the files in a directory to a text file, that would be patently awesome and allow me to start on the add-on DLCs.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Kharmakazy posted:

Is there any way to set it up to let me throw people... like... before they are dead. Treat living humans as ragdolls and press z to throw them around? I really want to do this. Like alot.

There's a HavokGrabtheLiving setting in one of the ini files but I don't think it does anything...

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Just dead money. HH you can only take 75 pounds of stuff.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

TehGherkin posted:

I know this isn't a modding question but seeing as the NV thread has been archived I'll ask here. It's kind of a stupid question, but can someone tell me which quests start which DLC? I'm doing Dead Money at the moment, and want to do the other ones in order, I'm guessing I have to do the happy trails expedition, the science fiction feature, then enter the divide to do it in the order of Honest Hearts, Old World Blues and Lonesome road? I just wanted to double check before I finish Dead Money to make sure I'm doing the right ones.

This NV thread?

Yeah, that's the chronological order. Also Dead Money is the hardest by a pretty wide margin. HH scales with level mostly, OWB is 10+ and LR is 15+.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

DemonNick posted:

Has anyone tried the New Vegas Uncut mods? Apparently they reintroduce cut dialogue and stuff, including encountering Benny after the Fort. Are they any good?

I haven't heard of these, but my gut feeling is that budget/time constraints are not always/often the primary reason things get cut in a game this well planned, like being able to get House to surrender to the NCR which is wildly out of character.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Doesn't the built-in steam launcher overwrite ini changes? Are you launching through that?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Oh.

Oh god.

Can you not at least put that behind a NWS link. The only way to effectively express my gut reaction:
:gonk:
As a side effect no one posting after me needs to see it now.

fake e: just let me know if that's breaking anyone's tables or whatever

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I thought Willow was the mod that introduced a voice-acted follower with a loving teddy bear, who would not. shut. up. specifically w/r/t her godawful singing, which asking her to stop would make it impossible to complete her lovely quest. God I remember hating Willow. Also you tell her you lost your memory so it's not even ~lore-friendly~

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Man why would you want Borderlands 2 with New Vegas as cheap and moddable as it is. Best 8 gigs I ever used on my HDD.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Oh yay, I added it, noticed every single Viper (just started a new game a couple days ago) was carrying .45 pistols, and decided to deactivate it. Well the stuff is still there. Asked the creator about it and get "That should already be answered by clicking the scripting link in the description and reading about how it works. Sorry lol, but it's not my fault you missed that before installing."

Going to the scripting link says it can't be undone and now I feel stupid :smith:

Welcome to Nexus!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Arenovalis posted:

Mauser? But I barely know her :ohdear:

I was just bemoaning to myself the fact that the Chinese 9mm was crappy in FO3 but never got a Vegas makeover. That is gorgeous and you should be proud of your baby.

Also if I ever finish that item descriptions mod I'm sitting on, and a goon-made mod comes out that adds this gun, your quote will accompany it.

Fake e: sorry Naky your wonderful mod isn't ~lore friendly~ :sperg:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I think I PMed you awhile back re: this. I'm tired and I feel like posting too many :words: about my favorite game in one of my favorite series, but no one wants to read it so I'll try and cut it short.

-Most of the weapons you have in TA are real, 20th and 21st century firearms. This is fine except in the context of the following two points, which are largely me speculating about established canon talking out my rear end
-Modern assault weapons are designed primarily for military and special forces, i.e. not civilians, and certainly not a one-man wrecking crew like you see in oh I dunno every game ever.
-The arms race is over in the Fallout setting, brought to its inevitable conclusion in 2077. Player progression in the games, where you start with a vault suit and a pistol and end up in power armor with a turbocharged plasma caster, is not representative of the average wastelander's need to fight off geckos and raiders. The Gun Runners might sell to the two established militaries in the Core Region, but that's probably not the bulk of their business given the political clusterfuck in the Mojave.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Gyshall posted:

Is this really :spergin: about The Armory? Dude, you can pretty much just install the Cabinet ESP and be done with it - that way you won't have to :qq: my immersion :qq: about NPCs shooting you with kickin rad guns.

I made a bad post, don't go out of your way to correct my poor internet behavior. I love the Armory. No qualifiers. Sorry to make you think otherwise :sweatdrop:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I always thought it was weird--given that there are bow animations in Oblivion, and Fo3 and NV are built on the same engine--that we haven't seen bow animations in either Fallout game.

I've seen people try and recreate SPECIAL in a P&P format and there's always a vocal faction that wants the original skillets including First Aid and Gambling. I want a Missile Weapon skill that covers both throwing weapons and muscle-powered bows, slings, etc. Ranged options for a gun hating tribal and such like.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I actually thought that building and using bows, spears, and game traps would be nice options to throw in with the Survival skill and round it out a little. I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't mind things like having Gambling and First Aid back. Make things more complicated.
Oh no no no. 14 skills is plenty. Gambling is not useful and if you really want PC aptitude to factor into gambling (bluffing, etc.) add a CHA factor to the LCK check. Why is there no poker in this game??

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
In his unfinished RPG, rope kid always seemed to favor separating Speech into persuasion (diplomacy/intimidate) and deception (gambling/bluff). The only reason not to do this--and it's a big one--is that convincing everything to kill itself is a big part of fallout and you'd need to build away from combat with two social skills. Which could easily work, but not every chump would be able to do both :black101: and :smug:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Honestly I'm excited for the potential of dual wielding and maybe motorcycles/cars, even if the latter was post-launch DLC which would be a smart move financially. More time to polish it, and rekindle Internet interest in FO4 if only by invoking ire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
The only thing I really wanted from 4, and I do mean the ONLY thing, was a drivable motorcycle. Dual wielding woulda been nice, maybe the return of more unique guns from 2 like the Needler.

Instead: revamped power armor, more settlement building than anyone needs, and a weird crafting system that essentially means no guns are unique.