Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
When I said "sniping", I meant more like being able to actually hit things from distances and use weapons other snipers to be able to tear people apart.

Brace fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I have my fov set to default, it was fine, I just started the game, I went into MCM to do my tweaks on PN and FOOK, and I came out, and my fov was zoomed out really far(I could see my whole hand + the entire clip of the pistol)

FalloutNV.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
IWR.esm
IWS-Core.esm
CompanionInfAmmo.esm
iHUD.esm
New Vegas Redesigned.esm
FOOK - New Vegas.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
DarNifiedUINV.esp
CASM.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
Lore version.esp
Better Burned Man.esp
PerkEveryLevel.esp
Improved Sound FX.esp
Improved Sound FX - Gunshot Distance Tweak.esp
Improved Sound FX - Weapon Sharing Fix.esp
Improved Sound FX - HH.esp
Improved Sound FX - HH Sharing Fix.esp
Improved Sound FX - OWB Sharing Fix.esp
Improved Sound FX - LR Sharing Fix.esp
CompanionInfAmmoOptional.esp
CompanionInfAmmoCheat.esp
IWS-Core-Patrols.esp
IWS-Core-Guards.esp
IWS-Core-Civilians.esp
IWS-HH.esp
IWS-OWB.esp
IWS-LR.esp
ManualReload.esp
Tag Skills Improved.esp
ADAM - MAIN.esp
ADAM - HH.esp
ADAM - LR.esp
ADAM - Rangers on Patrol.esp
CompanionDisguises.esp
noautoaim.esp
SimpleStreetLights (Extra Lights).esp
Nights are Darker 25%.esp
BetterGamePerformanceV3.esp
The Mod Configuration Menu.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
FOOK - New Vegas.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Weightless Ammo.esp
Centered 3rd Person Camera.esp

Total active plugins: 50
Total plugins: 50

Also how do you know if the 4GB.exe is actually working?

Brace fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 5, 2011

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I have the same(more or less) load order that I posted above, but I have tag skills improved as the very last mod loaded, and yet I still only get one point per point investment in my tag skills? This doesn't make sense to me and is shattering my knowledge of modding

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Jesus Christ, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My load order is condensed, and just downright efficient(Removed FOOK, no weather mods, small NMC texturepack, high settings but reasonable.), 4GB enabler, the new stutter remover , no ridiculous mods that change anything, no crazy .ini tweaks I don't think, and I run gamebooster. Harddrive isn't fragged either. But as soon as I go outside, and walk around, my FPS will jump between 20 and 40 fps, always in that range. E8400 at 4GHZ, GTX280, 4GB of Ram, I seriously don't know what else I can do? Is there anything that just makes the performance of this game turn to stuttery garbage any time you do anything?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Like, it runs at good FPS but it's just... not smooth. Like it's not enjoyable to play, and I don't think my game was always like this.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I don't care what kind of voodoo I have to use, I just want my game to run smooth

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You say you have the Stutter Remover installed, but do you have it configured? Or did you just drag / drop it and forget about it?

I changed max FPS to 60, and set minFps to 0, what else should I configure?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Try capping your max FPS to something lower than 60, since having it that high effectively sets a ceiling for yourself that you'll probably never consistently hit. Drop it down to 45 and see if that helps.

My FPS hits a smooth 60 as soon as I'm inside an interior cell(Lieutenant Hayes' Tent for example) but then I walk outside, and it drops down to low 30s/20s. I'll try the D3D9.dll, and that and see what happens.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

You understand that you have a better framerate in tiny interior cells like Lieutenant Hayes' tent because there's jack poo poo being rendered, right? The reason you cap your framerate at a reasonable ceiling (such as 45 FPS) is to give yourself a consistent FPS both indoors and outdoors. By setting it to 60, you're not accomplishing anything beyond potentially alleviating screen-tearing (which I guarantee you don't have a problem with, given your 20-30 FPS outdoors) and the "64hz Stutter".

Lowering this ceiling allows your PC to more consistently hit its goal, and the resulting 36-45 FPS translates to a smaller disparity between highs and lows that makes the game feel smoother. The only way I play Dead Money is with my game capped at 45, because letting it do whatever it wants (by either removing the Stutter Remover or setting the MAX FPS to something it'll never reach) makes that DLC a really miserable experience, given the lack of occlusion culling.

Hm, well I knew the whole 0 rendering thing with the tent, it's just that I don't really think my game could be chugging so hard playing New Vegas, I mean the engine is old as gently caress, the graphics aren't that great and I'm not running a great deal of mods.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

hairrorist posted:

The 4GB exe did that to me. I would suggest using the 3GB enabler instead. Also, as usual, what Cream of Plenty said. For me it was only a noticeable problem if I used the 4GB exe or if I dared to set foot inside the forbidden-by-engine-limitations Sierra Madre.

Where's the 3GB Loader? I can only find the 4GB one.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Male Man posted:

hairrorist was referring to the default .exe. You should be using it anyway. Unless you've got mods that add a lot of actors or higher resolution texture packs, there's no reason to use to 4GB loader.

What kind of problem would it create though? I mean I only see it as a good thing since it allows the game to use more RAM.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I can't play this game anymore, no matter what I do. I had the most optimized load order possible, and I was still getting stutters and >20 FPS, so I reinstalled the game completely fresh, and I still get the same poo poo fps. This is with an E8400 at 4GHZ, 4Gigs of ram, and a GTX280.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I don't think anyone replied to me, maybe it's just a Gamebryo game being Gamebryo but this is probably my favorite game in recent memory so I'd really like to sort the issue out.

quote:

I can't play this game anymore, no matter what I do. I had the most optimized load order possible, and I was still getting stutters and >20 FPS, so I reinstalled the game completely fresh, and I still get the same poo poo fps. This is with an E8400 at 4GHZ, 4Gigs of ram, and a GTX280.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I was using NVSE/4GB, launching through Steam. I had mouse acceleration turned off, and a few other tweaks in the .ini. Was using the medium NMC texture pack, changed it to small and there was no difference in FPS, but still really choppy/slow/jittery. I had a few mods like Project Nevada, IWS, Simple Street Lights and a few others but nothing too big.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
That's the thing, I turned off all my mods and it was still running like poo poo.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
No one has any snake oil I can try to use to unfuck my New Vegas so it doesn't run like poo poo in all circumstances no matter what? Also what's this CCO you guys are talking about?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm going to be honest, the problems you're describing sound more like something you'd need to have the computer to troubleshoot. If you're experiencing excessive stutter--because "stutter" is something you'll always experience in New Vegas, unless you're using a nice SSD--and getting lower framerates than you should with your rig, it sounds like a hardware issue or something that would be difficult to diagnose over the internet.

When you say you "completely uninstall" the game, does that include manually deleting the folder in your "My Documents"? Do you regularly defragment your hard drive? Have you noticed a sharp decrease in performance without being able to recall any significant changes you've made to your PC? Do other demanding games run like poo poo or is it only New Vegas? Do you run the game with a minimal number of programs running in the background? New Vegas is pretty CPU-intensive, and if you've overburdened your processor with outside tasks, you can really hurt your framerates. Also, have you made any global changes to your GPU control panel recently? Something as innocuous as forcing a higher-quality AA setting on all 3D applications can really slam your FPS. Maybe you've got graphics settings that are set too high--are you letting the game decide what to set things to or are you setting your own?

It's got to be something weird, I started up the game, completely vanilla, only the DLCs through the Launcher, went to Graphics settings and set to "Default" and it set the game to Ultra High Quality, with everything maxed out. I started the game and I was getting pretty much the same FPS as I was(this is with a new game, inside Doc Mitchell's House), around 30-36 is what I noticed. I'm gonna do a little more digging and see if I can't find what the gently caress is wrong with this thing.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
So, I deleted New Vegas under My Games, the folder which contains the .ini and my saves, and I started the game up. Doc Mitchell's House, where I was previously stuttering and getting 30fps, I'm now getting 80-90fps... What happened, and how do I prevent this from happening again

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Male Man posted:

Did you have a whole bunch of saves floating around? New Vegas' engine apparently likes to peak at all your saved games, so if you build up too many it can cause crippling slowdown. I've heard that because of this, Skyrim on a PS3 gets unplayable if you build up more than ~15MB of save data.

I deleted them, through the game's save menu everytime I reinstalled so I don't think that would be it.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I'm seriously at a loss how deleting FalloutNV in My Games boosted my FPS by 50-60. I don't even know, this is the most ridiculous case of ~Gamebryo~ ever

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

If it wasn't saves, it was a bad ini--from either dicking around with bad settings and then forgetting, or making driver / hardware changes since you uninstalled the game (and thus the ini has outdated information, since it isn't deleted on uninstall). I very seriously doubt it has anything to do with the Gamebryo, itself.

Well, gamebryo as in I can't imagine something like this happening with any other game that uses a different engine, or even another game that uses a version of Gamebryo that isn't Bethesda's.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Willie Tomg posted:

Hey speaking of weird performance instability is there any flag or option that would crash my game roughly 1 out of 4 times an explosion of any kind goes off? Grenades, Meltdown perk, activating ARCHIMEDES, anything that makes boom.

Do you have any mods that affect explosions?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Willie Tomg posted:

Yeah, I use EVE. I'm also a literal dinosaur IRL and use DirectX 9. I'll poke around later tonight and see if disabling EVE helps anything.

Here's my load order carefully crafted through a painstaking process of throwing a bunch of poo poo into FOMM and hoping the program knows better than I do.

IWR.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
CaravanPack.esm
ClassicPack.esm
MercenaryPack.esm
DeadMoney.esm
TribalPack.esm
HonestHearts.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
NVInteriors_WastelandEditon.esm
NVInteriors_Core.esm
FalloutNV.esm
EVE FNV.esp
IWR - Rebuilt.esp
Improved Sound FX - Weapon Sharing Fix.esp
Fellout.esp
Better Binoculars High.esp
BetterGamePerformanceV3.esp
NewVegasBounties.esp
SunnyCompanion.esp
CompanionDisguises.esp
The New Bison Steve Hotel.esp
Fellout-OWB.esp
UHNV-Honest Hearts.esp
UHNV-Dead Money.esp
UHNV-Lonesome Road.esp
UHNV.esp
UHNV-OWB.esp
Improved Sound FX - Merged Major DLCs.esp
Improved Sound FX.esp

Total active plugins: 31
Total plugins: 31

FalloutNV should be at the top, followed by the DLC.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Isn't there some sort of EVE compatibility patches that make it run a lot smoother and nicer with DLC/other mods?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Most mods have no detriment to the game though. Look at some texture mods, and some weather mods. Maybe a few things you think will inconvenience you through your playthrough. Just look through the Nexus, but make sure you don't download any huge overhaul mods, or dungeon mods because those really gently caress with things.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

blue squares posted:

I deleted and re-installed the game so hopefully I unbroke it. I think what I'm going to do is try to find all the silliest and dumbest mods I can and play a game with them on. I've already done everything possible in the normal game. Is there a point where if I have so many mods installed my game just won't work?

Make sure you delete your folder in My Documents and the folder in the Steam folder too. I couldn't play the game for a few months because of terrible, inexplicably bad fps and stuttering, despite numerous re-installs, found out it was a bad .ini or something in the folder where the saves are kept in My Documents.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
CoP, can you add to the very top of the OP:

:siren: FalloutNV.esm should always be loaded first, no exceptions!!! :siren:

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
This is the first time I'm reading about CCO. How do you guys feel about it?

^^^ Look at the timing of my question and the poster above me, wow hahaha

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Are there any good mods that change muzzle flash and make it look like actual muzzle flashes? Also does Wastefland Flora Overhaul damage the FPS too much?

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
To kind of tie into this whole chat of abundance/sparsity of resources, I've almost never used Weapon Mods on any of my weapons because you pretty much have to go to to a merchant/trader and buy them, and there's usually only ever one or two in stock for some random weapon. This was annoying, but tying in the fact that you pretty much never ever have to visit a merchant/city for a specific reason other than to talk to a specific NPC for a quest or sell all your loot, made it pretty much useless.

I wish there was a good reason to actually spend time in New Vegas, or some of the towns you come across, and talk to the people other than just to pick up quests and then go shoot whoever they tell you to in the head and get caps/loot.

Also, CoP, I think it would be good to have rare ammo and a lot of poor weapons hanging around, but it's pretty hard to make the combat worth the ammo. The guns have a lot of random spread and bullshit, even with the no auto-aim mod, and in the vanilla game at least, you're never going to be able to take an enemy down with a well-placed shotgun shell or a few rounds.

Brace fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 10, 2012

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Definitely a texture missing. Read through the readme again and see if you missed anything obvious, which happens to pretty much everyone at some point in time or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Naky posted:

Not that I'm aware of, unless Anime Schoolgirl decides to do one but I certainly welcome anyone to make one. In general we encourage people to make their own esps based off The Armory's master but oddly enough nobody's taken the bait. I thought for sure that someone would do a thematically immersive based plugin at some point too.

I don't think many goons are really big modders, it's mostly people on Nexus who do that kind of stuff because it has a much larger basis of people that could be modders who want to do things with your mod. Honestly, with the hit-and-miss removal of files that copy stuff from other mods, you could probably get away with releasing The Armory on the Nexus if it got popular enough.