Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I fixed my problem by making the perk I'm designing complete a stage of the "generic" quest. I could still use some good non-video tutorials on creating perks, especially perks that give bonuses for wearing specific armor.

Chamale fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jul 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I normally play vanilla New Vegas, I'm now playing with a few mods that just tweak the game in ways that make it feel better.

No Dialog Tags, which removes the numbers before a speech check so that you have to actually decide whether your character's statement actually sounds convincing or not.

Weapon Jamming, which makes poorly maintained guns sometimes jam while firing, not just when reloading. This usually affects enemies more than the player, but it looks really cool.

Mr. New Vegas's Secret Stash adds most of the songs that are mentioned in quest names but weren't in the original game. It roughly quadruples the number of songs on the radio, and they all feel very appropriate for the setting.

Unlimited Companions, which lets you recruit multiple followers as long as you can keep them all alive and happy.

And of course JSawyer, which rebalances the game to make it more realistic, tougher but with fewer bullet sponge enemies.

I'm enjoying the game more now, but you know what I hate? When a mod does something really well, and then adds another unwanted thing that isn't related to the main point of the game. I've sure we've seen a lot of examples. JSawyer is 99% about rebalancing stats and spawn lists, but for some reason, Rope Kid decided that the safe route to Novac isn't hard enough. So there's an ambush by "Deranged Bright Followers", a faction that normally isn't hostile and is terrible at combat, with weapons so advanced that I'm pretty sure they could take down one of Caesar's assassin squads.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I find it pretty straightforward to raid the REPCONN headquarters for the special plasma rifle, although that's probably because I've played the game too many times. Those deranged Bright followers almost killed my level 6 shotgun guy, and it was the closest I came to death until I actually died because Arcade wanted to use his plasma defender against the explosive ants. JSawyer seems to make Power Armor and energy weapons more worthwhile than the base game, so I should try using those.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Merry Deciever posted:

Honestly, I always thought the hate towards the Frontier was overblown some, and there's a conversation to be had about the 4channers that deliberately stoked it, and why. (Far as I can gather it's cus the devs made fun of people for wanting to join the Enclave, a faction that has no actual merit, though they included a legion option, so tomato tomat-o)

Yea, there's some weirdness, but nothing overblown for fallout mods, or the series itself (Remember the talking Deathclaw village in Fallout 2? )

I don't remember foot fetish content in Fallout 2, or a sex slave companion with an 18th birthday card in her inventory

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a good mod to play as a Ghoul?

Ghoulified is the most popular.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

You could use Unlimited Companions and play as the leader of a small army. If you take the shortcut to New Vegas, it should be possible to recruit Arcade and Veronica without fighting anyone.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Does anyone know of a mod that makes your reload speed depend on your Guns skill, rather than your agility stat? Or know how I could make that mod? I've made mods with GECK before, but I don't see any way to change that particular feature.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Captain Walker posted:

Is there a pistol that can kill Benny with no more than two critical head shots, maybe including one sneak attack? I remember trying a few times in his suite to no avail on my very first playthru.

If you're at level 8 or less with 100 Guns skill, any pistol except the 9mm, 10mm, .357, and .22 will kill him with two critical headshots. If you're at level 50, Benny has 415 HP, and with no damage-related perks you can still kill him with two crit headshots from a Ranger Sequoia or Hunting Revolver. With a few damage perks*, or hollow-point ammo, you can kill a max-level Benny with just one headshot.

*Cowboy, Better Criticals, Just Lucky I'm Alive, Apocalypse Ain't Got Nothing On Me, Bloody Mess, and Black Widow/Confirmed Bachelor are the relevant ones

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Also it depends on what level difficulty Benny is on. He ain’t a fink but he might be on easy.

Good point. On Very Hard, it's possible to one-hit kill Benny with a Ranger Sequoia, but if he's at a high level you'll need hollowpoints AND some helpful damage perks.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I don't want to change the look of the game, the mods I change are all small gameplay tweaks except JSawyer. Mr. New Vegas' Secret Stash is a gamechanger, it adds a bunch of songs on the radio that they wanted to have but couldn't afford. Then I have mods that:

- Restore the NPCs that were cut for XBox 360 RAM reasons (Uncut Wasteland)
- Restore Cass' talkativeness (Cass barks)
- Let me fast travel directly to the NCR embassy (NCR Embassy Fast Travel)
- Remove the speech check numbers, so I have to read the speech check and figure out whether I'll pass it (Lexx No Dialog Tags)
- Make weapons sometimes jam while firing because I like the jam-clearing animations (Increased Weapon Jamming)

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Is anyone familiar with creating script mods in New Vegas, or have a link to a tutorial? I want to create a mod that makes weapon reload speed relate to your Guns or Energy Weapon skill rather than your Agility stat. I realized the simplest way is a script mod, something like:

If (equipped weapon = gun) and (Guns skill < 20), playrt.setav agility 1

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It's not part of Stewie's Tweaks. There's a mod called Reload Reloaded, but that doesn't do it either. It feels like someone should have made this mod already, but as far as I can tell, no one has.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Zereth posted:

Wouldn't that set the player's agility for all purposes rather than just reload speed?

Yes, but the only things Agility affects are reload speed, Guns skill, Sneak skill, and action points. The script could also provide bonuses or maluses to those things to make it consistent. It's less elegant than directly modifying how the game computes reload speed, but I don't know if that's possible.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Would that script actually revert your agility skill when you put your gun away? Or is it just 1 forever now.

Probably simplest to just let it be 1 forever, or until your Guns skill reaches 20. Then the script would set your Agility to 2, and give you -3 AP, -2 Guns, and -2 Sneak so that it all comes out the same.

Maybe this is why no one has made this particular mod before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I did a playthrough where I tried to use every named weapon in the game, and it was a lot of fun.

My current playthrough uses unarmed weapons and Annabelle. The missile launcher feels like it's looking for a big group of oblivious enemies to hit, but it's so rare to actually see that.