Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cream-of-Plenty some time ago posted:

Most of PN's features can be turned off / not installed when you activate the FOMOD, though. Granted, I didn't realize you could opt out of installing entire modules the first few times, but I eventually figured it out.

I've been experimenting with various combinations of settings, trying to find the perfect blend of difficulty to make the game more difficult, and pretty much everything is usable without the "Equipment" and "Cyberware" plugins (if that's the extra bullshit you're talking about.)

Difficulty - Normal, Hardcore On

Weapon Damage Skill Influence - 50% (PN has this set to 20%, which is bunk because it defeats the purpose to putting skill points into weapons because of the relatively worthless payoff.)

Food Rarities - 16%, 12%, 9%, 6%

Ammo Rarity - 10%

Leveling Rate - 66%

Skill Point Penalty - (-4)

Minimum Damage (DT Bleedthrough) - 15%

Alternative Repair ON

Everything else I leave at default values or doesn't effect the difficulty of the game. I've discovered that a leveling rate of 66% prevents you from blasting through 10 or 12 levels in a single DLC, but isn't SO slow that you feel like you're never getting anywhere. The -4 skill point penalty means you have a spread of 7 - 11 points to invest per level (rather than 11 - 15), meaning you'll NEVER get anywhere near maxing out every skill. This emphasizes grooming your character to fit a certain role, rather than just dumping points into whatever when you feel like it.

Would anyone be kind enough to explain how to find these parameters in the GECK (or otherwise)? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Coughing Hobo posted:

You don't have to. It's in the Mod Configuration Menu when you press ESC and bring up the menu.

Yup, I hadn't loaded up the Rebalance module, so it wasn't showing up. Thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cubemario posted:

For those who won't download the mod, here's a video from some guy to get to know your Willow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLUbcYjCUY&t=158s

Stuff like this punctuates just how well and subtly written the vanilla companions are.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Horns posted:

Thanks, that was it. Should have known going back to NS was a dumb idea, looks like Western Skies is going to be taking its place again.

Whilst WS has the better skies, the colours are overly saturated for my taste. This is especially bad in high contrast settings like the Strip at night. You end up with this posterized effect. On the other hand, I occasionally get near freezing slowdowns with NS (which is probably mostly due to my aging computer).

Naky I might be using an outdated version of the Armory (I used the samods link from the OP yesterday), but I found a bug. The 'De Lisle Carbine' has a scope, but it's being treated like an iron sight.

And one question, do some of the rifles have custom scopes (like the Colt AR-15 Beowulf), or did I just miss those scopes in vanilla NV?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 30, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Naky I might be using an outdated version of the Armory (I used the samods link from the OP yesterday), but I found a bug. The 'De Lisle Carbine' has a scope, but it's being treated like an iron sight.

And one question, do some of the rifles have custom scopes (like the Colt AR-15 Beowulf), or did I just miss those scopes in vanilla NV?

And according to the database, the scope shouldn't be standard, it's a mod. As I said I'm using 2.0, but the 2.5 changelog doesn't mention it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Horns posted:

I had this same problem and have been using Weapon Mod Recipes. It allows you to make all kits at a workbench and I've found that most of the necessary parts are either rare or weighted enough that it doesn't feel like cheating (though it might send your NV hoarding senses into overdrive).

This is great. If it works, it's just what I was thinking about when I first got into NV crafting/repairing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Does A World of Pain add "M" variants of guns to the game - essentially superior but rarer versions of vanilla guns with larger ammo clips/more damage. I'm trying to figure out which mod's responsible, and I don't think they're part of The Armory.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cubemario posted:

That's AWOP and M guns aren't rare, they are everywhere. Take my advice and uninstall that horrible disease.

It's also added silent NPCs around each settlement, some entirely out of place (like a lone Elite NCR Ranger sniper in Novac). And there's been a number of typos/poor English in the few bits of dialog I've found. But it's the M guns that are my biggest gripe because they're overpowered. Should my save file be fine if I purge myself of any M guns and lock myself away in a room without any, before uninstalling the mod?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I tried searching the nexus but nothing suitable popped up. Is there a mod which nullifies the running penalties for medium and heavy armors?

Also found these armors when looking around. They seem pretty respectable.

Brotherhood armor (modeled on the Brotherhood Combat armor from the original FOs)

Air Force Power Armor T-57c

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 13, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Herr Zealot posted:

Does anybody know which modification for weapon mods adds the word "MOD: WEAPON MOD HERE" as an item title? I know WME adds solid titles such rear end "9mm Silencer", but I can't figure out what's adding the latter phrasing, maybe vanilla? It's not too annoying, but so far I assume it's PN, also I can't apply any of the weapon mods with the prefix "MOD: ".

Yes it's Nevada.

e: You can turn it off. Uncheck "Inventory sorter" under the Features section in the Mod configuration menu.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 14, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

MadPierrot posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, why not have the player be able to become sheriff?

Because the PC tends to wander off?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I recently turned off your textures Arenovalis because I wanted to play around with WME (doing otherwise entirely screws up the texturing). Man, I'd forgotten what an ugly pipe the vanilla .223 pistol is - not to mention how tintwise it looks nothing like the gun from FO2. No weapon upgrade is worth going back to that travesty.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arenovalis posted:

WME has a compatibility patch which is updated very often since we are both FOOK members and talk daily :P

Oh great! I'll look it up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has there been any talk about the Signature Armor & Signature Weapons mods? They sound pretty awesome for those that just like to go through the game with 1 set or armor/weapon though the weapon level-up sound like they will basically turn a good weapon into a woops 1-shot that deathclaw by grazing its toe level of ridiculousness.

They're goon-made. I think it was Strudel Man.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

If anyone's interested, I'll post a track list before I get it uploaded.

Sure, please do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks! Glad to hear you're enjoying it so far. I like to think that I did a good job and I'm happy to see somebody else agrees.

This is really convenient because I could never get the radio extender to work properly, and I like what I've heard of the selection so far. Thanks.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Steam has started to redownload NV in full every few days. I'm guessing this is related to mods messing with the steam directories. Any idea what in particular might be causing this and how to prevent it? (Sometimes I can play while it's "updating" sometimes I can't, plus its seriously clogging up my bandwidth).

Plus regarding armor suggestions, I've posted this before but I think this Brotherhood Armor (fairly true to the brotherhood combat armor from the originals) might be a good fit. It also already outifits all brotherhood members wearing the recon armor with this armor.

EDIT: Although, comparing it directly to the vanilla reinforced combat armor, it's not actually all that different.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 7, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Found my first LPAM armor. :woop:

Together with what I think might be an oversight/bug. When I go to have it repaired, despite being in very poor condition, I can't have it mended.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are the pipboy icons not showing up for the armor, either?

Yup, I assumed you didn't add any. (Is it possible that it's related to some other mod I have installed?)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

You could take what you like from mine and add to your leveled lists, nobody said you *have* to use everything, you could also add some armors you have there and I don't to the collection. The idea is to have one go-to mod, and pick optional esps as you go. Oh I'll throw it up anyways, you can see for yourself if you like what I did.

I know you guys have mentioned something of the sort in the past, but someone should to do a similar filtration of the Armory, to properly balance the guns with the vanillas (some sort of similar weapon progression), get rid of the guns with bad models/texture work (there aren't that many but still), and generally get a solid selection without too many statswise similar weapons. I know this isn't really what the Armory's about, but I think an alternate .esp with a bit more order and consistency would be great. If I had any idea how to get any of this done I'd give it a go myself (maybe I'll take a look when I get a bit of time).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That's what I'm looking at right now. I have the health at 300, but if you console in a set, it's like at ~30% health. Also, you can see that I've got the armor directed towards a pipboy icon (included with the mod) but it doesn't seem to appear on the user's end. :iiam:

If it matters I found the armor on a downed fiend. Hopefully someone else can report in to confirm whether it's isolated to my game only or not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arenovalis posted:

I always liked this little thing, so I started re-redoing it.

Very pretty. The lighting is painted right (i.e., won't move in game)?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arenovalis posted:

Nah, I don't paint light on any more. 100% dynamic.

Great! Though it's like it was that big a deal before.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

NV is acting up on me. After downloading the game for the nth time (for whatever reason it's been constantly "updating") it no longer allows me to directly start from FOMM, instead the launcher now always pops up. What's more, a number of mods don't work anymore - I think it's those that require NVSE, like PN. Launching via the 4GB .exe is also screwy (Darnified works as if the fallout_default.ini hadn't been changed). All this happened after updating. I didn't add any new mods between it working fine and this.

Help?

e: Reinstalling the big stuff seems to have cleaned things up for now.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Oct 10, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

First bit of "modding". :toot:

I branded the letters. Unless I'm mistaken, the base texture is from Arenovalis re-texturing pack.

So when can I expect the delivery of my modder's certificate of cool?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arenovalis posted:

Hey nice, if you ever need advice or some such you can find my contact info in my Nexus profile.

Applies for other people too, if you've got 3d related questions or just wanna chat, I don't mind.

Awesome thanks! I really barely know what I'm doing atm (and I'm really barely doing anything at all really). (I went searching for some basic videos on texturing, and found your (I presume) youtube shotgun videos, very very helpful in getting to grips with the basics).

quote:

HOW DO I MAKE CONCRETE WEAPON LOL

Either concrete or cardboard covered in tin foil.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

loving hell this is such a headache. Can somebody help me in deleting the Data directory? I've already uninstalled New Vegas with 'delete local content' via Steam, but when I want to get rid of the remaining files (mostly mods) I'm denied permission. I'm running Vista but I'm the admin and have UAC long disabled, I think this is some additional security permission from Steam.

edit: False alarm (hopefully). No problems with deleting after rebooting the system.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 15, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

Question: Is there a way to find out what songs are on the extended mojave radio? There's this one female singer that I'd like to know her name, she's got a great voice. Does that song that goes 'wham bam who shot sam' and I think another song on the list.

1.) Pete Seeger - Home on the Range
2.) Curly Williams - Southern Belle (From Nashville, Tennessee)
3.) Gene Autry - Ghost Riders in the Sky
4.) Doc Watson - Crawdad Hole
5.) Jimmie Revard & His Oklahoma Playboys - Ride 'em Cowboy
6.) Billy Jack Wills - Troubles
7.) Deacon & The Rock Rollers - Rockin' on the Moon
8.) Range Riders - It Don't Mean A Thing
9.) Marty Robbins - Maybellene
10.) Tex Ritter & The Dinning Sisters - You Are My Sunshine
11.) Hank Thompson - Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette
12.) Sam Collins - Lonesome Road Blues
13.) Tex-I-An Boys - Chisholm Trail
14.) Four Cacadoes - Deep in the Heart of Texas
15.) Cisco Houston - Little Joe the Wrangler
16.) Bill Monroe & His Blue Grass Boys - Mule Skinner Blues
17.) Milton Brown & His Brownies - Taking Off
18.) Leadbelly - Cotton Fields
19.) Tex Morton - Big Rock Candy Mountain
20.) Peter Hurd - Las Chapparreras
21.) Hermes Nye - The Devil Made Texas
22.) Jesse Ashlock - My Bank Account Is Gone
23.) Red Foley - Hot Rod Race
24.) Tampa Red - Worried Devil Blues
25.) Billy Hughes - Cocaine Blues
26.) Cisco Houston - The Dying Cowboy
27.) Woody Guthrie - Jesse James
28.) Rex Griffin - You Gotta Go To Work
29.) Cliff Bruner's Texas Wanderers - When You're Smiling
30.) The Inkspots - Maybe
31.) Red Foley - Hobo Boogie
32.) J.E. Mainer's Mountaineers - Yodeling Mountaineer
33.) Georgia Washboard Stompers - I Can't Dance (I Got Ants In My Pants)
34.) Leadbelly - Midnight Special
35.) The Light Crust Doughboys - Pussy, Pussy, Pussy
36.) Rosalie Sorrels - Empty Cot in the Bunkhouse Tonight
37.) Golden Gate Quartet - Nobody Knows The Trouble I've Seen
38.) Speedy West - Stratosphere Boogie
39.) Elizabeth Cotten - Freight Train
40.) Marty Robbins - Smokin' Cigarettes and Drinkin' Coffee Blues
41.) Gene Austin - Lonesome Road
42.) Grandpa Jones - I'm No Communist
43.) Tex-I-An Boys - Put Your Little Foot
44.) Sons of the Pioneers - The Devil's Great Grandson
45.) Billy Star - Hound Dog
46.) Billy Adams & The Rock-a-Teers - Walking Star
47.) Leadbelly - Boll Weevil
48.) Roger Welsh - Horse Wrangler
49.) Doc Watson - Wabash Cannonball
50.) Brownie McGhee - Freight Train Blues
51.) Dave Fredrickson - Lone Star Trail
52.) Tennessee Ernie Ford - The Shotgun Boogie
53.) Helen Humes - Song of the Wanderer
54.) Bobbie Lawson & The An-tones - If You Want My Love
55.) Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Faded Love
56.) Roy Rogers - Cowboy Night Herd Song
57.) Faron Young - Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young
58.) Grandpa Jones - I'm My Own Grandpa
59.) Louis Armstrong - A Kiss To Build A Dream On
60.) Johnnie Lee Wills - Milk Cow Blues
61.) Furry Lewis - Kassie Jones
62.) Peter LaFarge - Trail to Mexico
63.) Hank Thompson & His Brazos Valley Boys - Woodchopper's Ball
64.) Marty Robbins - That's All Right
65.) Wanda Jackson - Who Shot Sam?
66.) Marty Robbins - The Ballad of Thunder Road
67.) Leadbelly - Springtime in the Rockies
68.) Judy Hayden - Dinner Bell Round-Up
69.) Leon Mcauliffe & His Western Swing Band - Panhandle Rag
70.) The Inkspots - I Don't Want To Set The World On Fire
71.) Tex Morton - Barnacle Bill the Sailor
72.) Sonny Terry, Woody Guthrie And Cisco Houston - Lonesome Train
73.) Modern Mountaineers - Everybody's Truckin'
74.) Billy Adams & The Rock-a-Teers - You Heard Me Knockin'
75.) Red Foley - No Help Wanted
76.) Jimmie Revard & His Oklahoma Playboys - Oh, Swing It
77.) Gene Autry - In The Jailhouse Now
78.) Noel Boggs & Wade Ray - It's All Your Fault
79.) Don Edwards - My Hero Gene Autry & There's A Rainbow on the Rio Colorado
80.) Walt Robertson - Railroad Bill
81.) Gene Austin – Cindy
82.) Tex Williams & the Western Caravan - Artistry in Western Swing
83.) The Hall Brothers - The Wrong Road
84.) Furry Lewis - John Henry the Steel Driving Man
85.) Noel Boggs & His Day Sleepers - Steelin' Home

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Capn Beeb what's the cigarette mod you're using in all your screen caps?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Capn Beeb posted:

Cigarettes and cigars: this one

Blunts: this one.

Also I need to sit down and figure out what all my flare gun needs in terms of resources/mods, then I'll upload it. Forza 4 has taken up a considerable amount of my time :v:

Thanks that's the one I've been trying, albeit from a different source. Whenever I try taking out a cigarette I'm told I have none, despite having a chock full.

:downs: I gets it now.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 18, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Assuming I un-gently caress FONV and get this stupid Nexus manager's hooks out of my system, is there any better way for finding and downloading mods now, or am I just going to have to slog thorugh the horseshit that it looks like Nexus has turned into in the last six months?

Yes, you'll just have to deal with the ads - though as McStabbin says, AdBlock sometimes (in my experience not always) bypasses the commercial. It's annoying and obnoxious but they're the sole host of many of the worthwhile mods.

Also be careful not to bloat your game with too many mods. They will invariably destabilize the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rope kid posted:

Thanks. With the reduced Carry Weight in the mod, wearing PA with Power Armor Training (which now negates the weight of the armor) is pretty darn good.

If only the speed penalty was also gone. Was that a holdover from FO3?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rope kid posted:

If you load into the area and don't see about five hostile ghouls in robes labeled "Deranged Bright Follower", then the .esp isn't actually loading for some reason/something else is screwed up.
No, we implemented weight category speed penalties in F:NV. Otherwise a negligible Sneak penalty was the only real disadvantage to wearing the heaviest armor possible at all times. I brought the penalties down a bit in the mod. Heavy was -15% now it's -10%. Medium was -7.5% now it's -5%. I also reduced the speed penalties for running with 2H weapons drawn.

The movement reduction is more of an annoyance than a gameplay impediment really. It does make chasing or running away a problem, but it's most conspicuous and painful when you're sluggishly trotting across the Mojave. Sectioning off the the combat from the rest of the game is contrary to the game's structural philosophy, but I'd really prefer for those penalties to only kick in during a fight. (though I'm pretty sure you'd need a new engine at that point).

VVV Cool, never new about that. I always have PN on if only for the sprint.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 31, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

PN attempts this by slowing down base running speed then giving a larger bonus for having no weapon equipped.

I know the music changes with enemies nearby, but does the base game have some sort of flag that goes off when you're in a fight? There's a pretty wide spectrum between plinking from high ground and melee range.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jimmy Noskill posted:

I'm trying to reduce the number of skill points that I get upon leveling, but I'm not having much luck. I should be able to simply reduce the value of "ilevelupskillpointsbase," but no matter what number I set it to, it doesn't make any difference at all. From what I can tell, other people have had this problem too. Does anyone know a way around this or am I doomed to swim in skill points for all eternity?

In case you can tolerate a mod doing it for you, Project Nevada lets you customize the number of skillpoints per level in addition to a bunch of other variables. It's entirely modular, so you can ignore all of the other content it offers.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Davoren posted:

That's exactly it, I just got my current character to level 12, playing on hardcore again on hard, and it's been a welcome change of pace so far. I'm just about to start on the DLCs but want to delay the transition to godhood for as long as possible.

Thanks for the recommendations though, I'll try it out.

rope kid's mod also significantly decreases XP gained (by 50%?). I'm finding it's a considerably better balanced, though still not particularly challenging, experience than before.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 28, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Davoren posted:

I tried rope kids mod for a little while but I just couldn't get on with the reduced carry weight, especially once I downloaded one of the hideouts that has weapon racks on the wall. Gotta catch em all!

Edit: Just finished reading through the feature list for Project Nevada and I installed the whole drat thing. Sounds awesome!

I have the whole darn thing installed atm just for the option to sprint, makes traversing the Mojave for the umpteenth time that much more bearable.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 28, 2012

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

It's also a good thing the PC never opens his mouth.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

rope kid posted:

Use slugs.

That wouldn't help with armor penetration though, would it?

The Shotgun Surgeon perk let's you ignore 10 DT. Slugs will give you a bit more range by reducing spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Slugs use a single projectile instead of 7, so the damage per projectile is ~7 times higher, allowing it to power past DT.

I was never certain how that damage was converted with slugs. Thanks.