Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sam. posted:

Trying to get ropekid's mod to work, but the game crashes while loading. This is my load order:

FalloutNV.esm
OldWorldBlues.esm
HonestHearts.esm
LonesomeRoad.esm
GunRunnersArsenal.esm
DeadMoney.esm
Project Nevada - Core.esm
Project Nevada - Equipment.esm
The.Armory.esm
jsawyer.esp
Project Nevada - Rebalance.esp
Project Nevada - Cyberware.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Dead.Money.Patch.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Honest.Hearts.Patch.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Lonesome.Road.Patch.esp
The.Armory.Leveled.List.Old.World.Blues.Patch.esp
The.Armory.Cabinet.Addon.esp
The.Armory.HonestHearts.Patch.esp
SignatureWeapons.esp
SignatureArmor.esp
OWB Stealth Field Suit.esp
OWB Moddable FIDO.esp
OWB Valence Extra.esp
OWB More Vendor Caps.esp
OWB Companion Teleport.esp
Follower Home Marker.esp

Total active plugins: 27
Total plugins: 43

It works just fine without jsawyer.esp. I've tried moving it to different places, but that hasn't helped.

This has been happening to me as well, and I think for the same reason-Courier's Stash is absent. jsawyer requires all the DLCs to work, if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Alright, for some reason New Vegas seems to be crashing instantly every time I try to enter the Jacobstown Lodge, and to the best of my knowledge ONLY the Jacobstown Lodge and not any other specific location. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

It did for me too when I installed Beyond Boulder Dome. If that's the problem and you haven't started Beyond Boulder Dome yet you can just disable it, do whatever you need to do in the lodge and enable it again.

Thanks, that did the trick.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Lots of People posted:

Is Beyond Boulder Dome any good?

I haven't been keeping up with this thread for the past few weeks, and as such missed quite a few people asking this question. As someone who played through the mod, let me repost my thoughts from the main New Vegas thread:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Has anyone else tried out Beyond Boulder Dome? I played through it recently, and I have to say I as really disappointed. It's clear that a lot of effort went into the mod, and I spent a lot of time playing through it... but my god, it's just BAD. Almost entirely linear, maybe two merchants (Neither of which sells any significant amount of ammo), very few skill checks of any kind (Not a single speech check, IIRC), some extraordinarily poor level design, story is almost entirely "Work with the NCR (And kill everyone in the Dome)" or "Work with the Brotherhood of Steel (And be the hero by curing the dreaded Seltsam Syndrome)", and most aggravatingly, the god drat NCR Death Squads. I went in at level 18 and not only are they automatically hostile, but all but a few of them are armed with Marksman's Carbines. (The few that aren't have Anti-Material Rifles and are stationed at the tops of buildings where you can't get to them without toggling noclip.)

Urgh. There are signs of promise, but overall the whole thing's just an unfun slog, and the ending just makes the whole thing feel completely and utterly pointless.

Anyone else have a chance to play it?

And here's my following post regarding the ending:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is for the Brotherhood of Steel ending. I'll probably get around to the NCR ending at some point, but at this point I have absolutely no interest in going anywhere near Colorado ever again.

As soon as the Brotherhood gets inside the dome, Elder Guile kills the remaining scientists and betrays you while cackling "Now that I have the technology of the Boulder Dome at my disposal, Colorado will be mine!" :what: So you're forced to fight him, and of course his bodyguards have a new Gauss carbine that can kill you in one hit, which makes the fight impossible unless you just sneak kill everyone beforehand. So, you kill him, and the past few hours you spent doing quests for the Dome scientists (And by extension the BoS) seem to have been entirely pointless.

But wait! It turns out that the head dome scientist was actually an android sent by the real guy to protect his wife, who is currently in stasis and is the original source of the Dreaded Seltsam Syndrome. Once you find him (He's been ghoulified and has spent the past 200 years trying to find a cure) and bring him back to the dome, you're able to give him the cure for his wife. He opens the stasis chamber, she reacts in shock at his current appearance, you're on the edge of your seat...
When the head NCR officer bursts into the room and shoots them both, rendering the entire thing pointless. Again.

:what:
And that's the end of the main quest to Beyond Boulder Dome (But by no means the end to the questionable absolutely retarded design decisions).

In short, it's not really all that fun, and the ending is just :suicide: Not even that much loot, beyond the literal mountain of Marksman's Carbines I pulled off of the hordes of NCR death squads.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 10, 2012

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Arenovalis posted:

Clean model work, I'm poo poo at designing so I won't comment on that :P

Feel free to add me on Skype/MSN/Steam/whatever if you need ask me for advice on anything.

Also,

Naky made me do this:

That looks like the demon spawn of an AK and a Chauchat.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ariong posted:

What is the most likely reason that I would be crashing as soon as I enter the Gomorrah? As soon as I try to enter the front door or use coc to get in, I crash to desktop. If I use coc to enter a part other than the main area right beyond the front door, there's no problem. I don't believe I have any mods that could be causing this. Here's the list.

Beyond Boulder Dome. There's all sorts of places where trying to enter random huts can cause crashes for no reason whatsoever. I thought the whole thing was pretty bad, especially the ending, so my recommendation would just be to uninstall the drat thing. (If you absolutely need to play it, there may be patches on the mod's nexus page that might fix the issue)

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Beezle Bug posted:

Yeah, it was BBD and there is a patch, I had the same issue. I haven't gotten around to it since this is my first NV game on PC, would you mind saying what's bad about it? I'd like to know if it's really not worth my time but I can also be pretty forgiving of some shoddy mod work here and there. The horrible, horrible art they used on Nexus was a pretty big red flag so I'm morbidly curious if the art is a good indicator of the rest of the mod's quality.

In my opinion, Beyond Boulder Dome is an interesting concept completely ruined by shoddy game design and absolutely terrible writing. I made a post about it earlier in the thread, but the gist of it is that it's a very long, very difficult (Depending on what level you enter at, I did so at 18) slog with few rewards and an ending that's so bad it makes Fallout 3 look like Hemingway.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I realize this is an oooold post but the problem with a lot of the neat little light guns getting shifted into the game through the Armory and other sources is that their VATS logic is completely whacked. Like, at ranges of beyond 20 feet I get miserable percentages (at Guns 100) even when I can deadeye something free hand. Is there some fix for this besides taking perk taxes? Is this even specifically an armory problem?

I've had this happen, but I'm pretty sure The Armory has nothing to do with it. Do you have any other mods that might be making those changes, like Project Nevada?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I just started playing NV again, since I never actually beat the game yet. Do I actually need to buy Courier's Stash to use JSawyer? I have all the other DLC, but wasting even a dollar on that is sorta annoying.

Yep.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Keep in mind, however, that it's a one time event. You get on their bad side again, and they'll be sending hit squads after you for the rest of the game, as will the NCR if you manage to piss them off as well.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Nope.

I was interested until I read this. No thank you.

He means weapon condition. Random items don't break.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So I guess "Beyond Boulder Dome" was finally officially released yesterday (no more beta status) which means, if you've been looking for a large, DLC-like expansion, now might be a good time to check it out. As a beta, it definitely had its share of issues, but it sounds like it's gotten a lot of polish in the months since it was first publicly available. I'm in the middle of downloading it and am slowly realizing that it probably won't jive with the loadout of JSawyer + CCO + Puce Moose Tweaks + personal changes I've made to the base game--so now I'm going to have to open it up with FNVedit and make sure the monsters/armor/weapons/loot availability don't completely break my game.

Why can't people make mods only for me? :negative:

Unless they changed the ending, I couldn't care less. God, that was awful.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Old Boot posted:

What were the panning reviews of Beyond Boulder Dam? I looked through way too many pages of this thread to see them, and I didn't see any.

I haven't bothered to check it out since I'm still just loving around with basic mods, but I'm curious what the criticisms were.

Pretty much what everyone else has said: A tremendous amount of effort, ruined by terrible execution. The combat is constant and terribly unfun, as there are numerous enemies throughout the mod that posses one/two shot kill weapons if you're not wearing power armor. There is a poo poo-ton of backtracking that you need to do for the various quests, and very little of it can be solved through fast-travel. The worst thing, though, is at the end it all seems ultimately pointless-You go through a double-cross, then a double-double cross, and by the end everybody who mattered to the main plot is dead.. It's a shame, too-there's a ton of huge, expansive environments they created, lots of voice-acting, new weapons, enemies, and armor... and it's all for nothing because the game design and writing is just terrible.

chitoryu12 posted:

I gave up in the nuclear reactor. The constant radiation level hosed you over if you weren't able to get through the labyrinthine map quickly, to the point where I even turned on God Mode and still couldn't figure out where the gently caress to go.

Good lord that section was the worst.* It didn't help that everything was so dark that it made it hard to figure out where/how you could actually get anywhere. At least you didn't have to suffer through the ending! :v:

*Second to the slog of getting to the ZAX, now that was just a nightmare.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Necroskowitz posted:

Thanks!

On an unrelated note: Has anyone made a functional patch between PN-Rebalance and jsawyer.esp? I prefer ropekid's mod but I'd like some of the modifiable aspects of the PN mod. Could I just run jsawyer.esp after PN or would that wreck things? Does it conflict with anything else in the mod?

Not that I know if, but it's not really necessary. You can run the game just fine with both mods running, and the nice thing about PN is that all the variables can be changed through the Mod Control Menu so if you can go and manually change all the values to the JSawyer numbers where they conflict.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

2house2fly posted:

The OP's mod list is still pretty good, I recommend Outside Bets and the retexture mods. One I like that isn't in the OP is DLC weapon integration, which adds DLC weapons to the main game. It's nothing insane- you can't buy an extra holorifle or whatever- I just run into Raiders who use .45 pistols and battle rifles occasionally, and I saved up to buy a LAER off a travelling merchant. I like this mod because it makes the game feel that bit more cohesive.

Definitely gonna have to try that out. Any idea on how well it plays with Right to Bear Arms or TTW?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I've been using TTW along with VFO and a winter mod, which combined have really made Fallout 3 come together for me. Wandering through a half-ruined DC buried in snow and covered in trees is incredibly poignant, and makes the wandering around portion of FO3 (i.e, the good part) a hell of a lot of fun.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Is the original post still relevant with all the neat new mods? I'd love to read through 500+ pages of discussion to find out if this is the case, but admittedly, that would take most of a day and I don't really wanna take most of a day.

I wouldn't say it's got all the latest and greatest mods, but it's still a solid resource and most of the mods there are still being updated or are pretty much necessary for any playthough, like NVAC.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Arcsquad12 posted:

The NCR does have the industry in the Mojave, but none of it is going to the citizens. All the railroad work and all the concrete from Quarry Junction is going to making bunkers and fortifications along the Colorado. They're strip mining Nevada because things are falling apart back home. Hanlon mentions never seeing a natural lake back in California, because they sucked up all the water.

Just like actual Californians! :v:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Ledgy posted:

Okay thanks.
EDIT: Welp, I picked the key up but it doesn't work on the station's door.

You may have picked up the wrong key, there's one on the desk that unlocks a locker in that room, and another one on one of the bodies that unlocks LS.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
My advice would be to install performance mods such as NVSE and the 4GB mod first, since many other mods require those to function properly. After that, I'd try not to go whole hog just yet-try adding just one or two mods from the OP that seem interesting, play for a session, and make sure everything's running smoothly. If it does, great! Move on and DL some more mods. If something goes wrong, then you will at least know which mod it is as opposed to having to try and hunt it down from a big list.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
If anything, Beyond Boulder Dome is a great example of how not to design games. Giant, expansive levels with no purpose other than having to run from point A to point B? Check. Hidden enemies that can inflict 1HKOs? Check. Numerous fetch quests? Check. Abysmal writing? CHECK. It pains me to think about how much effort had to have been put into it, considering the final result is such a tremendously infuriating waste of time.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I think I sat there dumbfounded for about a minute after the ending. I don't think I've ever seen another game where everything you do is rendered so utterly pointless at the end.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

drkeiscool posted:

How are Beyond Boulder Dome, DEIMOS, and Project Brazil?

Can't speak to the last two (Though I've been meaning to try them out since I've heard they're good), but BBD is baaaaaaad. You can tell they put a ton of work into it, but the level design is pretty poor (Expect to backtrack A LOT), the combat is a never-ending slog, and the plot (Especially the ending) is abysmal. Good if you're into combat and running back and forth, but not much else.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

khy posted:

So. Let's talk TTW.

I've been wary about it because I didn't know how well the two games would function as one. How is the stability? Does it give FO3 all of NV's gameplay changes or vice versa? Is it difficult to install? Gimme the rundown.

I installed and ran it not too long ago. The way it's set up, it's basically a giant DLC pack for New Vegas, so it's all New Vegas gameplay in an adjusted Fallout 3 environment. Companions use the companion wheel, New Vegas weapons are added to leveled lists and such, stuff like that. Installation isn't too difficult, and the base game is pretty stable, so long as you're not running dozens upon dozens of mods like I was. :v: I just uninstalled it since I wanted to try some other stuff in New Vegas proper, but I'd certainly recommend it if you're looking to play 3 again over playing 3 by itself.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Agents are GO! posted:

Worth pointing out again that mad genius modder TrainWiz just released his first New Vegas quest mod.

What other stuff has he put out? I'm definitely gonna go through the one he just released since it looks pretty interesting, but I'm curious as to what else he's done.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

ThaumPenguin posted:

Would anyone here happen to know where to find the console commands for advancing the quest Back in Your Own Backyard? The crucified NCR troopers are, well... gone.

That happened to me the other day, fortunately walking into and out of over of the barracks fixed it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Yeah, there's a tutorial for converting FO3 mods to TTW (NV mods are totally fine). It's actually not to hard, though I've basically forgotten the entire process. It's listed somewhere on their site, though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Kumaton posted:

Was NVR3 the one with detailed rape corpses and permanent animated tears on a rape victim? That description you posted sounded cool since I'm a stickler for atmospheric and fluff-building stuff like that, but I remember one of the New Vegas Redesigned or something similar to it was being lambasted in this very thread for those reasons, among others I can't remember.

Yeah, that's the one. It does interesting stuff, but the mod author has... issues.

Edit: It also changes the race of like a dozen NPCs to match their VAs, because no one has ever heard of a black guy voicing a white character before.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Oooh, is that what does it? Are there any mods that have the same effects without the exhibitionism?

This one works pretty well IIRC.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bobfly posted:

I'm not playing a 100 hour game twice, though. Not in the foreseeable future.

E: Also, it seems to be incompatible with the jsawyer mod (which I'd very much like to play with)?

They're not incompatible. If I'm remembering this correctly, Project Nevada's Rebalance Module (Which is optional) does change some of the same values edited by jsawyer (Mostly healing rates and whatnot, IIRC), when a conflict like this occurs the game simply uses the values of whatever .esp is loaded last. And in any case, the Mod Control Menu (Bundled with PN) allows you to change pretty much all of the values in question on the fly, so you can reset them to jsawyer's numbers or to something else entirely, depending on your preference.

Edit: Nobody's saying you should play through the whole vanilla game first, just that you dick around for a couple hours or so before you start getting big ideas about what kinds of mods you actually want to use (No use getting a mod that adds to the Hardcore experience, for instance, if you decide after a while that you hate hardcore).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sexual Aluminum posted:

How up to date are the mod recommendations on the OP? What are some good mods now that I beat the game vanilla, and want to see what's out there.

The New Vegas modding scene has slowed down pretty significantly since Fallout 4 was announced, so for the most part it's still good. That said, there are a couple mods that have come out over the past couple years that are worth mentioning:

Loot Menu for FNV: Adds a Fallout 4-esque loot menu to the game. Doesn't always work perfectly, but for the most part it saves a LOT of time while rummaging through containers trying to figure out which one has actual valuables worth keeping.

1st Person Weapon Animation Overhaul: A neat mod that changes a lot of the first-person animations.

The big things to look out for are still on the horizon-The Frontier and Project Brazil. They're both massive quest and worldspace mods that have been worked on for the better part of the last couple years, and both have showcased a lot of really neat work. They're both definitely worth keeping an eye out for when they finally drop.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah, it's called populated casinos.
I'd really like a mod that adds apartments to freeside. Freeside Restoration adds a bunch of places but I'd like a dingy rundown apartment full of Chem dealers that uses assets from the Bison Steve Hotel's upstairs section

To be fair, that's basically North Vegas.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
It's worth noting that the game shipped with a bunch more NPCs in places like Freeside and Primm, but they were stripped out in various patches due to the aforementioned console memory limitations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Bogart posted:

Sorry, I didn't wanna turn this into ending chat. That said, House's Vegas boosted by the Followers, kept safe by the 'bots and the Kings, utilizing the Big MT tech sounds like one of the best endings for humanity.

House represents the best and worst of capitalism-for him, and for those who could afford it, it would be a paradise. For everyone else, it would be just as bad, if not worse.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
There are few greater joys in New Vegas than clearing The Fort with Boone.

"Thumbs down, you son of a bitch."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Lombard Station is always my default, because the automatic sorting of food, ammo, armor, weapons, and health items, plus the ability to craft with items that are still in storage, is always too good to pass up.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
I didn't run into any invisible walls in my first playthrough, and then ran into a bunch on subsequent runs :shrug:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Are people legit excited for whatever project Brazil turned into? It was poo poo, maybe worse than bbd because at least bbd had mindless combat portions

I'm personally looking forward more to The Frontier myself, which actually looks pretty decent.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

But then you have to play Fallout 3!

Eh, Fallout 3's biggest problems were in its writing, the dungeons themselves were fine. Just so long as you don't actually talk to anyone, you'll be set :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Alright guys, I've been thinking about playing through the fallouts again(only played NV on ps3, and fallout 4 on ps4).

I want to experience Fallout 3, but I understand it's a crappy game. I was thinking maybe Fook2 as an overhaul and also some sort of graphics mod. Can someone recommend one? Will it play nicely with Fook2?

Also should I just use my regular Mod Organizer, or is there a more preferred way of going about it now?

The best way to play Fallout 3 is through Tale of Two Wastelands. It turns Fallout 3 and New Vegas into one bigass game, and more importantly allows you to play through Fallout 3 in the improved New Vegas engine (Which means you get weapon mods, look-down sights, the companion wheel, ammo types, and more). Takes a bit of effort to get it set up (Especially if you want to mix in additional Fallout 3 mods, which is very doable but a hair tricky), but well worth it for the final experience.