Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
It looks like I might be running into a common pitfall. :v: As I know how to install mods stare at readmes for hours and I want to enlighten a friend, I'm setting up a modded playthrough for them.

Since he has a much better PC than mine and is an insatiable gun nut, I've put together mostly texture packs (NMC, PB & WFO) and new equipment. All the recommended stability and anti crash stuff too. Tacticool armor, gas masks of the world, weapons of the new millenia (coincidentally he's been playing fractured space!), Jsawyer and body replacers necessary to get spice of life working for all sorts of hardcore stalker shenanigans.

The only problem so far is when I decided to include a big overhaul suite. FOOK-PN-WME-WMX-EVE Convergence says it includes "practically all of WRP in its optional download" so I thought it couldn't hurt. I'm pretty sure I've installed it correctly. No errors or popups after juggling and deleting a dozen or so esps and esms but it looks like some of the textures are missing.

It is painfully obvious that a handful of the actual firearms are still low res - .357 revolver, varmint rifle and the preorder guns to mention a few. I know when I used WRP years ago it covered most of the guns. WME or WMX by themselves should work with WRP so now I'm considering ripping out the whole convergence stuff and sticking with one of those.

Is there anything I can do to sort out the low res stuff? It might not be worth keeping the convergence esps around if it ends up being a headache later when my friend wants to add new mods. This is the load order.

GaistHeidegger posted:

Trimmed things down considerably and along the way it resolved at least half of the texture issues I was having--but I am still getting a really creepy one specifically with dudes after using Roberts Male Body per Spice of Life:

It appears to be trying to give a variety of torso skins all over the place. Yikes. I'm baffled as to why, the Roberts mod's only conflict overwrites are a few armor entries and I've tried reinstalling it twice in Mod Organizer without any luck.

Is it possible to do some renaming and see if that works? People were flickering in their underwear until I removed some files.

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/5164-archive-invalidation-not-working/page-3 posted:

My problem is solved. After hours of searching, head scratching and trying 4 different versions of MO including v1.2.4 (which looks interesting but is not quit ready for primetime). Turns out it wasn't Archive Invalidation. The problem was an incompatability with 2 mods, Roberts Male Body with Fallout New Vegas Redesigned 2. Roberts Male Body Nexus page descibes what I was seeing, namely black bars on the body as archive invalidation not working. But....

Roberts uses a custom nif for upperbody.nif, which in turn uses a custom upperbodymale.dds. The body parts are laid out in a different pattern within the dds file. Fallout New Vegas Redesigned 2 uses the vanilla nif and dds layout. So when installing Roberts before FNVR2 MO/FNV uses Roberts' upperbody.nif and FNVR2's upperbodymale.dds resulting in what looks the same as Archive Invalidation. Simply hiding FNVR2's upperbodymale*.dds files fixes this. Hope this helps someone else who might be fighting the same problem.

Delacroix fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

GrizzlyCow posted:

Fear and Loathing is a decent guide in general, but for replacing low res weapon textures, you may want to look at their Do You Feel Lucky? section which includes some texture mods in it.

Also make sure that MO is actually loading those textures. Try toggling "Have MO manage archives" if you have BSA files.

I made sure to toggle MO archive management since automatic archive invalidation was important in getting the body replacers working. As for the low res weapon textures, the thing puzzling me is why FOOK isn't using all of Millenia's textures. Some of the guns have his higher res treatment; Millenia likes to use gunmetal black and etched words (e.g detail work on the silenced pistol or service rifle). There's more than half a dozen guns that look untouched in base game res however.

I suspect it's something to do with weapon mod compatibility (getting WME + WMX working together) since from memory a weapon mod on an incompatible weapon texture is a surefire way to get the dreaded blocky texture bug. I know if I use WRP+EVE+WME, there won't be any problems but I was using that combo ~3 years ago so I'll be a little disappointed if comes to that. :(

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

What's the difference between the 2.9 and 2.5 versions of The Armory? The weapon table in the directory looks like it only applies to the 2.5 version.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Naky posted:

100+ more weapons or so, but some are broken.

Thanks, It sounds worthwhile!

After spending some time to explain changes and additions to my friend (without spoiling too much), we have both come to the conclusion that I really can't be bothered to resolve low res guns in FOOK-PN-WME-WMX-EVE FTS Convergence and that neither of us care enough to keep it. With PN, WRP and WME he'll still be running around in a gasmask drinking vodka using his favorite stalker and battlefield guns from Weapons of the New Millenia and TA.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's okay, but the first time I played it I was planning to unlock the safe and get the unique Lucky pistol out....then remembered it was just gone with the entire old scene thanks to that quest.

I mean, it is weird that gun isn't turned into a minor reward halfway through instead of that tweaked 10MM SMG. It would make more sense to me now.

I watched someone do a modded playthrough of FNV and there should be a button near one of the exits that lets you enter the ruin version of the Bison so you can pick up anything you missed. I thought it was a nice touch for a mod that alters the worldspace of a fairly notable location.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So I downloaded the JSawyer Ultimate edition mod and am enjoying it, but the backpacks in it when worn just show up as a big red and white exclamation point (meshes are missing). Are there any other mods needed to get the backpacks to work properly?

Are you sure that JSawyer is responsible for the backpacks? In any case, you need to specify which version of it is being used, it could be something else like a mismatch between Spice of Life or Project Nevada Equipment module.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

That kind of slowdown is possibly due to the amount of scripting working in the background. The engine barely holds together by itself.

I don't think it's happening due to shaders or huge texture packs at least. Perhaps you have a significant number of different items added by mods. Custom quests can contribute to the problem too but according to that picture you have them disabled. If they or other substantial mods were disabled mid-playthrough then there's the chance they may have left orphaned rubbish behind, there should be mod tools to check and clean up orphan scripts.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Disabling that mod did nothing, so I found out that apparently Steam overlay does funky things to either New Vegas generally or the 4gb exe. I then remembered it happening to me ages ago, but only when somebody tried to actually send me Steam messages and not just... all the time.

New weird issue: Foods don't recover my health at all. I'm not playing on hardcore mode, I can still heal limbs with Stimpaks and don't have hunger or thirst, it's just that food and drink have no stats related to health recovery over time. I don't recall a mod doing this unless it's that YUG thing, but I read the description and I don't think they mentioned that.

I remember this happening to a friend I set up a modlist for, it's possible a mod thinks HC is on and has removed healing or you have two things conflicting over food (which may require merging). In my case it was because my friend messed with the food settings in the project nevada menu willynilly which definitely conflicts with mods that change non-stimpak healing.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Shouldn't this mod also kill the courier for good in the intro?

The dead don't stay dead without a doubletap, that's was Benny's mistake.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

But he DOES doubletap! He shoots the courier twice in the head!

I'm no advocate of bloody mess but it's not much of a doubletap if the victim isn't a headless stump or scattered over the place.

Being shot in the head doesn't cut it, being slack in the gibs department is how you get ghost people. :colbert:

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

bony tony posted:

How do you get addicted to weapon repair kits? At least Stealth Boys make sense in the story

Jury Rigging is one helluva drug. You'll get hooked into collecting weapons and before you know it you're repairing them to 100% and wondering why your pile of 4500 5.56 rounds is getting bigger.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

I suspect Repopulated Wasteland is making areas in your game unstable. I know mods that change the strip and freeside can be a mixed bag regarding stability but that wasteland mod in particular touches a lot of areas enough to make it seem random because it's so substantial.

I remember when Project Nevada and EVE would crash because they changed format and invalidate a compatibility patch but you're not running PN by the looks of it so you should be safe but there's no certainty with these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

Agents are GO! posted:

I could see the NCR having a gallows set up right next the monument. It's not the act of a civilized and bureaucratic nation, which is what the NCR feels itself to be, to hang a dead body off of a monument. It's the connotations of the act which rub people the wrong way. It's not just barbaric, but it's also not correct according the the NCRMJ, and you didn't fill out form 26a (Disposal of Enemy Combatants.) (Yes, neither of those things are in game, but do you really think that the NCR wouldn't have them?)

Personally, I would picture a unit of rangers (probably the only ones capable of capturing legionnaires alive) leaving scalped Legion soldiers in plain sight. It's only a small step up from taking legion ears after all. And if it took place in backwater legion territory? Well...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is there a highlights video of ropekid playing New California yet?

It's on twitch VODs

He mercifully skirted around the worst parts.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've noticed on Nexus's media tab that Millennia has been working on some more weapon textures. I really hope he comes back and does some updates because his almost nonexistent presence in Fallout 4 modding was really felt.

In the intervening time between Weapons of the New Millenia and fo4, they were preoccupied with Fractured Space. As much as I appreciate the mods, those ships looked fantastic.

Millenia's absence and the slow progress on Battlefield 1 animation mod (not that I blame them, the engine is uncooperative) are big reasons I gave fo4 a pass. Not worth the price of entry without quality modification.