Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So uh, I installed the following mod:

http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=41480

I followed ALL the poorly written directions to the letter, used the installer like it said, and then when I went into FO3 from New Vegas the game looked like this:

Is there anyone out there who could provide me with proper instructions? That being, ones that actually make sense. I tried looking online for solutions but it's pretty much exclusively people complaining about the same problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nevermind my above message, I installed one version lower instead of the current one and now it works perfectly! :toot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah, I just fixed the DarnUI problem, I figured it was because of the [fonts] thing. If only there was some way to make it do that automatically. Ah, well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It isn't a mod problem, that has always been a problem with the "black people skin color" hues, mainly in the character creation. I am pretty sure it was a problem with Fallout 3 too. There are only a few colors that look actually black.

edit: Now that I look at it a little deeper, it might be a mod problem making it worse. No idea what it could be though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bloody Pom posted:

Unfortunately, I think it is just the result of horrible textures. There is something seriously wrong if you have green-tinged lips. I blame the radiation.

You're right, it probably is a texture or facegen or something problem but here's an example of the kind of thing I was talking about :

It took me like three playthroughs before I realized Old Ben was supposed to be black, because of the random whiteness that encompasses his face when you talk to him. This happens to a lot of black NPCs you can talk to and I have no idea why. He's just, like, caramel colored. or mocha. Or some other metrosexual-sounding term for skin color.

It's even worse when they're darker. Maybe it's the color filter New Vegas puts over the screen? I don't think he looks any better with Fellout.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
And nude mods.

There are already several Skyrim nude mods on the Nexus. Which is really freaky.

edit: I feel this needs to be said again to be emphasized. (not really i just skipped over a post that already said the same thing)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When I tried to do it for my now defunct LP over in the Let's Play subforum, it broke absolutely everything and corrupted all my saves. I had to replay the entire game from the start back to where I was in said LP and also lost all of my personal savegames from BOTH New Vegas and Fallout 3. Some people have reported success via very specific instructions related to their setup (the included install instructions are very vague and not helpful) but my advice: Don't even try it. It's a good idea linking the games up, but the modder did a horrible job of it.

Edit: See my post in the thread for my various gripes about it:

quote:

I'm tired of messing with Requiem for the Capital Wasteland. I hate that everything with installing the mod is a federal god drat issue, I hate that the mod's creator is an rear end in a top hat, and I hate that there are so many bugs it's almost not worth trying to install.

So, one update before we switch to RFCW, I'm just going to say 'gently caress it' and not bother. RFCW has too many bugs and glitches to be playable, and installing it is literally the hardest and most convoluted thing I have ever had to do on a PC. So, gently caress it. We haven't transferred over to NV yet, so I have decided that we aren't going to. I'm going to go back through and re-record everything from this update onward, because I just don't want to have to bother with RFCW anymore.

From the footage I've gathered, I'd be wasting about 12 or 13 episodes of content, but I don't want to put you through all the bugs only to go back to FO3 a few updates later. So, it will be a while until the next update, because I have to re-record everything I just got done with, and I have to reinstall the game to get rid of RFCW, and because RFCW has made me hate this game in general because every time something could go wrong, it went wrong. I'll be glad to get back to (almost) vanilla Fallout 3. Bear with me, folks. I'm not going to lock the thread because it's not going to be, like, months, but as soon as I overcome the overdramatic reeling grief this mod has caused me, I'll get back to recording.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 5, 2011

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh god, I'm having bad flashbacks of Fallout 3 where pistol clicks were REALLY quiet when you ran out of ammo and I kept dry-firing at a Super Mutant Brute not realizing that he wasn't getting hurt anymore (because I was so scared and all I had was a pistol against him).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked OWB's concept of "More points in this skill -> Skill check -> Ammo/weapons dedicated to that skill" when talking to the Think Tank. For example, with high Energy Weapons, you can ask them for more ammo which they will (confusedly) fork over to you. It was pretty neat being able to use your preferred weapon type in conversation.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Angstromboli posted:

I made this mod a while ago, but I think you guys will find it interesting. I call it the "Lollgerguns Mod." It basically adds a bunch of ridiculous guns such as the shoop da whoop laser gun. It actually got featured in a fileplanet blog (click for link) once.

You should probably not call the gun the "Shoop Da Woop" gun because it is an old and dead meme, I think a different "laser of ultimate destruction"-type name would fit it much better.

Also holy poo poo why is it so graphically intensive.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My most recent playthrough started out as a "be a dick at all costs, kill everyone if you don't get what you want" archetype character but I wussed out immersion-wise and just ended up playing as 'myself' again because I couldn't bring myself to kill all the nice people in Novac. It's so hard for me to be emotionally detached towards this game. :smith:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't found any muzzle flash mods, but the Flora Overhaul doesn't really affect your FPS at all, at least, it hasn't hurt me anyway. I installed the "actual desert-looking" version with less super tall green trees everywhere, so that might be why, but the only way you can know for sure is to try it yourself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of loot, I really like how a lot of the game's completely useless objects (see: cup, paper weight) are pick-upable and even useable with the right skill/weapon. It's one of those things that adds a teeny tiny bit of realism because, yeah, that cup's not glued to the table. You can pick it up, even though it will do absolutely nothing to help you (it can certainly help Muggy, though).

That said, I really loving hate how the game's completely useless objects are pick-upable. I have snatched so many useless spent bullets and clipboards and chunks of wood that I can never use nor be bothered to get rid of, so they just sit there occupying inventory space forever. It's just one of those things I am horribly torn over whether it's good or bad.

EDIT: This is not really a modding thread post, but oh well, it's relevant to the current discussion anyway.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 9, 2012

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

But Not Tonight posted:

I've been looking around for a console command to set companions as essential, and all I've found are mods, which is not what I'm looking for. Anyone know the commands to do so, or am I poo poo outta luck?

Go into the console with the NPC in view of you. Click the NPC. Type SetEssential. It SHOULD set them to be essential if they aren't already. I say should because in Gamebryo "SetEssential" is a script function that is shared with every NPC that's already essential, for when they're knocked out instead of killed. It's worth a try though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's why he doesn't get habitually murdered! He's out of OneThousandMonkeys' jurisdiction.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I'm trying this ENB thingamajig wrapper as my first foray into modding the game's graphics, and it looks awesome and works flawlessly...

Except that I can see directly through my hand and gun for some reason. Turning the whole ENB wrapper off ingame solidifies the gun (the hand stays a little transparent), and I'm offhandedly assuming it's a thing with the SSAO, but I have no idea how to fix it. Is this something I'm just going to have to deal with?

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Feb 16, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've done some finagling, and it seems that the Detailed Shadows option is what causes it to happen. Turning off ambient occlusion does not help the transparency. That's kind of upsetting because the detailed shadows option is almost the only thing I'm using it for! :v:

EDIT: And now for some reason ambient occlusion is also causing the transparency! This is some weird poo poo. :iiam:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 16, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After yet more fiddling with it, I have determined that in the latest version, ambient occlusion causes the transparency, but you can see the shadows from the detailed shadows option through said transparency as well. Turning down AO fixes it for the most part, so I guess I do just have to put up with it after all.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Alright, so I've done yet more fiddling with ENB, and I've discovered a weird oddity with the transparency bug.

Facing anywhere between South and Northwest on the compass will cause the bug to occur: Note the hat clipping and all of the foliage showing up through the ground.

Facing ANY OTHER DIRECTION shows no bug. This appears to be completely independant of the normal 'transparent hand' thing that happens with SSAO, and the only way to keep this from happening is to disable the ENB effect entirely.

From what I gather, it's probably because I'm using an ATI graphics card and ENB has a history of not playing nice with ATI, but if anyone knows an alternative reason this could be going on feel free to speak up! Just to note, switching 'Force NVidia Card' on and off does not fix this as it is no longer necessary with the latest version of the F:NV ENB plugin.

EDIT: Turning off ingame AA in the launcher options fixed it!

:toot:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 21, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm playing the J Sawyer mod for the first time, and I'm really liking the changes to things like item values. The traditional New Vegas tries to give you a sense of "what you have won't last forever" what with items breaking and sort of limited ammunition and it sort of jibes, but the J Sawyer mod does a very good job of it. The reduced carry weight is also nice.

Also, so long and thanks for all the fish, Cirosan! Your mod is really good!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the reason JSawyer requires the pre-order garb is because it adds it to the list of stuff enemies can wear (and loot bins?), but I don't remember. Either way, it's only a dollar. You can make that much by selling some of Steam's new dumb trading card things on the market page if it's that big a deal.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man, doing a clean install of NV is like pulling teeth sometimes. Reinstalling the game brought back all the ENB stuff with it, most of my mods, NVSE was still installed... I got everything deleted manually, but for future reference, is there an easier way to just reset everything to vanilla save for combing through FOMM and the main folder manually?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Raygereio posted:

Getting a clean instal isn't rocket science. Just uninstal New Vegas and have Steam redownload it. If you uninstal New Vegas via Steam's "remove local content", it will only delete the game files. Everything you put into the F:NV folder (<steam instal path\Steam\SteamApps\common\fallout new vegas) will not be removed, so you'll have to delete that folder yourself.

The first two sentences of my post are about how that didn't work for me!

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Steam backup the game, Steam delete the game, Explorer delete the folder it was in, Steam restore the backup.

I tested this, however, and it worked fine. Now that I have a vanilla backup I can just delete the whole game folder and then copy it in, just in case I ever want to get rid of my bajillion and a half mods and start fresh again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Question: Does anyone have a link to the mod that makes it so Doc Mitchell gives you actual clothes instead of a vault suit at the beginning of the game? It's a tiny mod and that's all it does but I cannot for the life of me remember what it's called or where I got it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Ring-a-ding-ding! Thank you! :3:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a fair few weather mods that just don't like Dead Money for some reason. If you're using Nevada Skies or similar, try disabling it temporarily and see if the problem still occurs.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I open up New Vegas and

:stare:

And then night rolls around and

:stonk:

edit: This is not a graphics card problem, as it turns out. Somehow my Nevada Skies install corrupted itself and made this crazy poo poo happen. (my first clue was that the effect only happened at sunset :v:)

edit: Okay, so it is NOT a Nevada Skies issue. I have absolutely no idea how I made this happen or how I fixed it, then.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jun 26, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It was in fact a driver issue, thank you. I automatically update to the newest drivers whenever they come out, and AMD released a beta driver recently that for some reason wreaks havoc on Fallout 3 and NV for me. So hey, download the newest beta driver if you're into glitching-out matrix skylines!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fallout: New Vegas Modding Thread - I will sex you every day for the rest of your life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're using the launcher to play the game, it will reset the fonts in fallout.ini every time you play, so make sure to use NVSE or similar. If you aren't using the launcher, after you edit fallout.ini (in Documents/My Games/etc.) with the DarnUI stuff, make it read-only and that might work.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Signature Weapons claims it is very difficult if not impossible to change weapon names on the fly in New Vegas. I haven't found a mod yet that has done that, but someone else might have!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Huh. Today I learned that the Nexus caps your downloads at 1 mb/s unless you pay for their dumb premium thing. That's annoying, especially when downloading the bigger stuff like NMC's texture pack or Ojo Bueno. I'd ask if there's a rehost so I can download them both faster than snail-stuck-in-chewing-gum speeds but there probably isn't one!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 9, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kedo posted:

I just bought New Vegas on the steam sale as well and also have a question... will I need to make a wyre bash patch for the big ol' NMC texture pack(s)? I am lazy and would rather just dump stuff into NMM if I can. I'm not planning on installing a billion other mods besides that and maybe one or two of the weapon / armor mods, however those texture packs are like 3 gigs alone.

No. NMC comes in a bunch of zip files that are actually FOMODs that you can activate through the package manager of FOMM (use FOMM) or NMM.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Maybe I just use FOMM because I'm a crotchety old man who doesn't like change. FOMM is only really built for the two Fallouts (and not the rest of the Nexus' ilk) which is why I like it, I don't have to pick from a roulette of games.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 15, 2013

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Street Soldier posted:

Please tell me there is a torrent file out there for the NMC Texture Pack.

There is not. I posted this exact same thing a couple pages ago and unfortunately the only way to get it is to download it from the Nexus. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The oversight in the game is actually that they aren't marked as both. That guy marking them as male only switched it to be the opposite problem. Being marked as female in the game means they're affected by the +10% damage perks against female enemies, but not male enemies. If they were marked as both it'd be a gameplay contrivance since they'd take +10% no matter which of the two perks you have.

That guy also apparently didn't do his research because scientists and researchers also used the suit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have no idea what the options do, personally, but in basically all cases you want to say 'yes' to overwriting with mods that come in multiple parts. Why it asks you that, I dunno. :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
After reading the 'awful game mods' thread I'm not sure I want to know what it is.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As long as it doesn't contain the phrases 'tit milking' or 'dick physics' I'm sure it's better than anything in that thread.

edit: But really, why did The Armory get removed from the Nexus? Are they just big jerks? I'm assuming they don't like compilation stuff.

Naky posted:

We never put it on Nexus in the first place. We knew it wasn't allowed.

That makes sense!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Upmarket Mango posted:

So my weather mod is still coming along slowly. I'm mostly working on it off and on a couple of times a month--I don't even still play New Vegas at this point but I'm determined to see this through. I'm mostly waiting to do another playthrough until I'm done with this. Got sorta burned out on the game. Anyway. I'm pretty happy with day time overall. Still a few minor tweaks to make but this is pretty close still. Thought some of you might be interested in seeing what it looks like.

That looks pretty nice! Especially when compared to the super dusty vanilla version. :)