Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Can anyone say some words on bashed vs merged patches? In my last spout of FNV modding I exclusively used bashed patches as I have been using them since Oblivion when they were necessary, but everyone seems to use merged patches for FNV as a de facto choice. I can handle myself making bashed patches, but it'd almost be nice not having to gently caress around getting Wrye and all the associated python dependencies if there is no benefit over just getting FNVEdit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

I'd say CoP keeps that poo poo pretty updated, more than any other Bethesda game thread I've seen on these forums.

Some stuff I'd recommend -

EssArrBee's STEP like guide, which is very good and focuses on merging/making a very good "Ultimate Edition".

Adonis VII's guide to TTW + the above guide.

Bash Tagger, a script for xEdit that can detect bash tags and apply them to mods. Very useful because a ton of mods don't ship with Bashed Tags in the headers, and this makes generating a bashed patch much more effective.

e: There is also a very good LOD noise texture here - http://drumbermods.tumblr.com/ (guy who did FCO's blog) direct link is here. 4k HD LOD Noise texture better than anything I've used out there.

Also after loving around with uGrids, but with WFO and NVAC two INI edits I'd recommend making in FalloutPrefs are:

code:
fGrassStartFadeDistance=14000.0000
fBlockLoadDistanceLow=25000.0000
fTreeLoadDistance=75000.0000
Basically increases the view distance without having to gently caress with uGrids. Still some "popping in" but it is still far more tolerable than vanilla.

Any advice on how that TTW guide is meant to be used? I plan on following the FNV guide you linked there, so thanks for that it looks fantastic, but if I could get TTW as well that would be incredible.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Use EssArrBee's guide, and then follow Adonis. What I did was use MO to make a new profile from my working EssArrBee's guide and then install TTW over top of it.

The new TTW installer is great, it creates FOMODs and basically makes installing through MO a breeze, so you can toggle it on/off.

Actually, since MO has been able to install all fallout mods (even scripted ones), my games has been hella stable.

Also I'm working on a Project Nevada Core + Jsawyer + EVE + IMPACT + WMX megapatch (with YUP changes forwarded) for New Vegas that I think I'll make compatible with TTW once all is said and done. If there is any interest I'll upload here. Basically keeps WMX's mod changes for anything Jsawyer conflicts with, but keeps JSawyer's stats where applicable it also removes all (GRA) tags because they always annoyed me to no end.

Maybe I'm really dumb, but I don't really know where to begin with the Adonis guide. EssArrBee's I can follow perfectly well (only downloading NMCs on my current 56KB/s connection is holding me up), but the Adonis guide is just a big jumble of random plugin names to me. I don't know what I should be adding or removing or changing from my EssArrBees install, or if I should have done the F3 guide as well and used that for TTW. If you could help that'd be awesome!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Okay what the hell just happened to my MO.

Why is there that weird greyed out category thing? I cannot delete it, and I cannot move the mods out of it. This is making using my MO really loving annoying. I did nothing to create it, it just appeared randomly after I installed the PocoBueno fomod.

Edit: a forums upgrade to whoever can fix this poo poo I've spent too long modding this drat game to spend time trawling through forums for this.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 11, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Check the sorting options down here, you might have set them to be sorted by category or something. Happened to me once.

By default they should be like the ones in the screenshot.

The solution was as simple as I thought it would be, but that fixed it. I shouldn't mod past 12 at night. What forums upgrade would you prefer?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Probably. New Vegas is surprisingly sturdy when it comes to the main questline, as long as you don't mess around too much with installing and uninstalling overhauls in the middle of a playthrough.

This really should be in the OP or something. Badness happens when you mod at night.

That really depends on how much caffeine/sugar is in your body at the time. Some of my best modding have been done at night.

Of course, based on what I've posted in this thread, that isn't saying much.

Do you have an email I could send the plat to? Trying to figure this out and I'll be damned if I won't follow up on my late night offer.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

JawKnee posted:

hoo okay so Weapon Animation Replacers is not playing nice with the enhanced camera mod, specifically with pistols. Also I just realized that my character in 3rd person doesn't bring any weapon up to aim when I hold the right mouse button (both before and after replacing animations), I wonder what's doing that.

Do you have the WAR - Enhanced Camera Compatibility Pack?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I don't loving know anymore. Here's what I do know:

*I'm using Windows 8.1
*NVSE and FNV4GB.exe won't work if I launch them in the MO combobox. This means the DarnUI won't work, but every other mod will. WHy?
*NVSE will launch the game in MO, but it doesn't actually extend any scripts. DarnUI is hosed up. None of my other mods seem to work either outside of MO.

The million-dollar question seems to be what is it about NVSE and FNV4GB.exe that do not want to work inside of the Mod organizer combo box OR what is wrong with the MO combo box that doesn't allow the NVSE or fnv4gb.exe to work?

MO is loving something up. I have put my New Vegas game in the best conceivable location outside of the Program Files folder and it still isn't being allowed to operate properly. It's so problematic and non-functional I'd be willing to buy a plat upgrade for someone to remote desktop in and see what the gently caress is going on. I've spent the last 3 hours after work trying to get this to function and it simply won't. MO is actively working against me and I simply can't. You guys have been real supportive and helpful and patient putting up with my despondent self but this is becoming an anti-game: it's actively frustrating me.

Go to your edit binaries menu of MO, select 4GB or whatever you called it and then add to the arguments box "-laaexe .\FalloutMO.exe" WITHOUT quotes, then hit modify and then close the window and run FNV4GB through MO again.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I misremembered the name of the "modify executables" dialogue as "edit binaries". Don't touch the line that says binary when you pick 4GB in your executables dialogue. You want your binary line to have the location of the FNV4GB .exe, and you want the argument box (a different box two down from binary) to contain the string I pasted earlier. I had to do this to get my MO working with FNV4GB and NSVE.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

In that case this poo poo is extra hosed, because my /Fallout New Vegas .ini clearly has the correct DarnUI [Fonts] listed.

I don't think a reinstall of MO back to program files would work, do you? Putting poo poo in x86 program files usually makes things worse, and I ultimately don't think that it would matter where it goes.

To check to see if your DarnUi issue is a NVSE thing or a fonts thing, open the console ingame with the tilde key and type in "getnvseversion" without quotes. If it returns a value then NVSE is working.

Also you should just get UIO and add that to MO, it fixes everything HUD related.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I offered plat for someone to remote desktop in.

You could try following the Utilities and Setting up Mod Organizer sections of this guide here.

I already have plat, but if that doesn't work for you I'd be willing to remote in and have a look at some point. I'd consider myself fairly adept with modding FNV.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Has anyone ever had the issue where the fade to black effect doesn't trigger? I'm talking about the black screen that comes up to indicate time passing. I'm not having it happen for doctors/cybernetics/sex scenes. The NPCS just stand there awkwardly and I stare them down while my controls are locked for a couple seconds.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Is there any way of getting the companions that aren't travelling with me to stay in one place (specifically the Goodsprings Schoolhouse from Afterschool special)? I tried using JIP Companions Command and Control to set Boone's house marker to be in the schoolhouse, but when I dismiss him and tell him to "go back home" he leaves and ends up in Novac.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

How did you get your companions to stay in the schoolhouse in the first place? I tried relax mode but it seems to keep them still "travelling" with me, but just idling around, in that they are still in the CC&C list. Does turning on relax and then leaving work or something?

Maybe its because I've not been to the lucky 38 yet and hence don't have the "go to the lucky 38" dismiss option which I'm guessing the home marker option must hijack.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

I had a similar issue, though more to the tune of all of my companions suddenly teleporting from the Schoolhouse (at which they were in relax mode) to my character's current location, which just so happened to be the deepest levels of Vault 22. It was chaotic as hell, thanks to those drat forever-inaccessible hostile ghouls endlessly triggering the combat AI on the companions (this was before I discovered the True Passive mode, which is a godsend especially for Lily and Rex, those fast bastards).

I looked into a solution and found a mod called the Follower Home Marker but realized that A) It probably conflicts with the scripting of the CC&C mod, and B) It was fairly buggy when I used it for a previous playthrough; weird, scary stuff like companions completely disappearing after being dismissed to their custom location.

So, yeah, technically a solution, but use at your own discretion.

I loaded up that mod, and while it doesn't conflict with CC&C at all surprisingly, it does conflict with SomeGuySeries.esm of all things due to some weird edit it makes to the Lucky38 scripting for a quest. I might have to just live with turning on infinite companions and having them all stand around on wait in the schoolhouse.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

rex monday posted:

Any idea why when I try to merge plugins with the latest FNVEdit, it tells me my xEdit is out of date?

The version on the nexus, 3.0.32, is too older for the latest 1.8 merge script which needs 3.0.33 or newer. They only post download links to it in the nexus forums WIP/feedback/whatever section. Here is the latest.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Gyshall posted:

Up to 359 packages, 130 active/97 virtual mods w/ bashed patch for TTW. TTW WMX, Project Nevada full w/ TTW support, TTW Interiors, CCO/jsawyer, and Mart's Monster Mod. It is amazing how much smoother FO3 runs in the FNV engine.

Another couple of nights of play testing and I'll be able to finally play through again :smith:

I just need to find a way to create new presets for Project Nevada's rebalance and I'll be set.

Could you dump a Wrye Flash mod list? I'm deadly curious.

Hell if your upload speeds are up to it a zip of your /mods/ and /profile/ folders from MO would work too :science:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Hey Antistar, any chance of support for Millenia's custom Christine COS Sniper Rifle .esp with WMX? Depending on my load order, I get either the stock rifle that is moddable, or Millenia's reskinned rifle that looks awesome but isn't moddable.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Akumos posted:

What am I even using to launch the game with at this point? I tried FOMM but it doesn't seem like SweetFX works then, do I use that? This game seems really overly complicated to mod compared to anything I've touched before, even tons of Skyrim mods were easy to deal with. Similar, but editing the graphics is just a pain.

I've already copied way more than the d3d9.dll file btw, do I need to remove that other poo poo?

You don't need the other poo poo in there, it won't do anything. To run the game run FNV4GB.exe. It'll launch NVSE and ENB automagically, and ENB will launch SweetFX using it'll .dll proxy feature.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

Ok, I got my mods working but for some reason I get these flashes of white, like just white objects that flash on the screen, looks like faulty textures but they're random, not any partical textures. What's up with that?

Are you running an ENB/ENBoost?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

It does make loading screens freeze so if you care about reading the flavor text and watching the little ball go round and round you'll be disappointed. Sometimes the loading screens have some interesting lore.

I've never had this issue ever, with any combination of mods and ENBs. How strange.

Edit: Unless you mean after alt tabbing out and back in while the game is loading, which is something I just never do out of habits sake.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Woolie Wool posted:

It's windowed mode, which borderless is a form of. Using regular windowed mode in NV does it too, and it affects Skyrim as well. Only true full screen makes loading screens animate properly, probably because Windows declares a window "not responding" for the duration of the load sequence.

Then how come I, and others in this thread, have never seen this issue with any form of windowed mode for NV? Never was a problem with me for Skyrim either.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've never been a fan of Nevada Skies, the weather effects are super overdone. F3NV Project Reality or Realistic Wasteland Lighting (+ an ENB) are way better.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Just some armoury questions as there is limited documentation on it.

If I am already using WNM and all of Millenia's since released standalone mods, will I have massive overlap with the armoury? I ran through the weapon list and saw some names that were the same, but as long as they aren't identical models/textures/stats but different ID's as Millenia's weapons it shouldn't bother me too much. Small overlap is cool too. For a MO install do I need to get 2.5 FINAL Fomod as well as the 2.9 WIP and install that on top? Or just 2.9 WIP?

Not armoury related, but for LPAM and Armour Compilation, is there overlap between these two? Are any of the big armour mods from the nexus merged in? Just so I can compare against what I have installed and remove overlapping mods if necessary.

Thanks! I love the various goon mods but it is a bit hard to find out much about them.

Edit: Also a question for Antistar, your ACS mod (which is awesome, so thanks) has a CaliberX patch which was last updated for 4.015. CaliberX has since been updated to 4.017 which has added two new crafting and breakdown recipes. I'm not too bothered if you don't get around to updating the patch, as great as that'd be, but I was wondering if this will cause conflicts or it'll just be "new CaliberX recipes aren't ACS-ified" which is easy enough to live with.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 9, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

A well implemented throwing retrieval mod would get me to actually play a throwing character, so I'd be interested in testing.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

Let me know how it goes. If totally-intact retrieval rate is 30-40% are you okay with a modest survival skill investment required to make them from scratch or recycle broken ones?

Any chance of a version with just 100% recovery and not the crafting aspect?

Or maybe an option where the recovery rate scales with survival, to 100% at 100 survival.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does Lombard station have wild weapon edits? Looking at the plugins in FNVEdit, it has edits to five different DLC weapons, and I cannot find how they would be useful to the mod. They seem to be identical entries to the DLCs except with minor firerate changes or similar. Could I safely delete all of these entries?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm having a weird issue with my recent New Vegas run. I've started a new character that I am mostly happy with, and I've spent a few hours around goodsprings doing all the usual starting stuff. I do, however, want to change up my SPECIAL a bit as it isn't how I want it. When I go out towards Primm I get the rebuild character dialogue as normal, but I went I hit rebuild character I get the appearance dialogue come up as normal, but when I exit that I don't get the SPECIAL or skill tag dialogues. Any shithot modders capable of telling me what to look for to diagnose this? I'd rather not redo the last three or four hours or so, and my characters appearance is basically perfect. This is my load order.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

delta534 posted:

I don't see anything at a first glance but if all else fails you can adjust your SPECIAL through console commands. The command Player.ModAV is what you will want to use. The usage is player.modav stat_name value, for example player.modav luck 1 will increase luck by one and player.modav strength -1 will decrease luck by one.

I know my way around the console well enough, but I ended up just restarting and taking the chance to tweak things just a little more.

On another subject, on a whim I removed FCO and ILO from my load order, and honestly I'm really glad I did. FCO made changes that really honestly didn't need to happen, despite the nice resources it comes with. I'm using the no edits version of FCO just so I can make my PC look nice. ILO, while visually nice, just isn't great from a gameplay standpoint. I can see now!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

I managed to get through the game the first time without it so unless there's been a significant degradation since release I doubt it.

What doesn't seem to be sticking is my FOV setting. I've changed every INI file I can find yet it still defaults to motion sickness settings. Am I stuck setting it through the console every time?

FOV Slider

Also CASM really is a "stitch in time saves nine" thing, I see no reason not to use it. The fact that it now completely takes over vanilla quicksave and auto save functions to not be slowly save corrupting is fantastic.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The learning curve is a bit steep, but once you have a good grip on ModOrganiser/WryeFlash/FNVEdit you can pretty much run an infinite number of mods together with good compatibility and stability. I played sixty hours of my ~300 mod install without a single crash thanks to careful and plentiful merging (to keep it under the 138~ esp soft limit) and manual patch creation.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I've always thought that convergence looks nice, but I've always been a fan of WMX over WME and I dunno about having the WME weapon mods and just the WMX melee mods. The crazy amount of patches he is adding now (every single one of the mods he is patching for I use) do make it a more tempting thing.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The new area is most likely AWOP, if you're using the whole convergence install. The unique guns are probably FOOK guns that were added to the AWOP area by convergence.

I love IWS but I've had to disable it for my new character because you get bullshit like 25+ powder gangers in Primm that make the early game pretty unenjoyable.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Oh for sure IWS is amazing with a higher level character. I had IWS cranked right up with my LVL40 character, it just seems over the top for low level characters. You don't really have any areas to go that are reasonable for a level 2 or 3 character.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Does Lombard have a way of sorting all your weapons onto the walls? I can select each wall individually but I can't find an inventory dump option for weapons like there is for armour.

Also for The Armoury, do I need 2.5 and 2.9 WIP? Or just 2.9 WIP?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Is there anything with the YUP bugfix pack or OWB that stops your mouse from working in dialog / inventory / PIP menus? I installed YUP today and it's been happening a couple times an hour, but the pack fixes so much I'm almost willing to put up with it and scared my save now utterly depends on it.

YUP is the only really well made bugfix pack. It wouldn't be causing that issue. Can you post your load order?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

My mouse problem seems to have resolved itself; going to chalk that up to a ModOrganizer irregularity. Time to add Explosive Entry back!

Edit: welp looks like I can't get it without Project Nevada. gently caress that.

What don't you like about Project Nevada? It's ridiculously modular, you'd could very well enable the core and disable everything but explosive entry.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Sputnik posted:

What's the likely culprit of a whole bunch of textures loving up? They flicker randomly through a lot of different ones, all wrong, and just on certain objects in a scene. First it was outdoors, like roads and the Novac dino, now I'm seeing it indoors on fridges and shelves and stuff and on some outfits. Hit the mod limit? I unchecked some and deleted a bunch of other esp's from the folder but it's still happening.

This happens when you go over 137 plugins, the "soft limit". Use the amazing merge plugins script on the skyrim nexus to merge together patches/smaller mods. Using Wrye Flash also helps hugely as it can merge patch mods into the bashed patch.

I have close to 300 mods installed in MO with only 129 plugins thanks to the above, and I had identical textures issues to yours when I went over 137.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ENB by default has F4 bound to "VRAM Clean" which just attempts to free up VRAM to help performance. It interferes with CASM. Change either the ENB shortcut (in the ENBLocal.ini file) or the CASM one (in the MCM menu).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Nope, that didn't do it, thanks for pointing that out tho.

Merge some plugins dude. You have wayyyy too many. Also make sure you have no missing masters.