Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Are there any mods for a radio station with a reactive DJ like Mr New Vegas? I like him but his repertoire is a little limited. The radio stations in the OP sound cool but it doesn't sound like they change according to the quests you do. I keep wanting to have a go at writing one myself but a) I've never made a mod and wouldn't know where to start, and b) if nobody's done one after two years that probably means it's not possible anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I just got this game for PC and I installed CASM. It said "CASM is saving" in the doctor's house at the start but that save doesn't appear when I hit "load" and pressing F4 doesn't do anything? Any idea what I've done wrong? Jsawyer's the only other mod I've downloaded so far, maybe they're incompatible?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah I've got NVSE and select the "launch NVSE" option from the mod manager to boot the game. I've since installed a couple more mods and they seem to work, just CASM is the odd one out- it says CASM is saving every 5 minutes or so but there's no save and nothing happens when I press f4. Weird but oh well, I guess there's always quicksave.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I've installed a bunch of mods, including two which make Freeside and the Strip into open areas, Western Skies and the underground bunker from the OP(which was a bit too flashy so I replaced it with one that added a food crafting interface and some extra storage to the Novac motel room). Everything I've tested works swimmingly so far. Which just makes it all the more baffling that CASM, probably the first mod I installed, doesn't work at all. It says "CASM is saving" in the corner every five minutes but no save appears. The readme says if you press F4 that quicksaves, but pressing F4 does nothing. The readme says you can hold F4 to edit settings, but holding F4 does nothing. I'm a total noob so I don't even know where to begin trying to figure out why it doesn't work. Maybe it just doesn't work with Windows 8, the file hosted on the nexus is 4 years old after all.

On a less whiny note, reading through FOOK I saw they added DLC-specific loading screen tips. I don't want to play a full overhaul but I do like the sound of expanded loading screens. Is there a mod that adds those on their own that anyone knows about? Searching the nexus turned up some new loading screen pictures but nothing about tips or text.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I didn't have MCM. Downloaded that and the compatible version of CASM, and MCM also doesn't work. I'm sure I hosed up something incredibly basic installing it, but whatever it was the mod manager itself didn't notice, as it told me the mod was installed successfully.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

:stare: you're right, I messed up installing the script extender. No idea how, but I installed it again and CASM popped up immediately. I tested it with the 4gb loader and now I'm just CASMing like a lunatic. Thanks for the help!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I don't think it could be considered a complete overhaul on that level (it doesn't add a bunch of new perks or items) but the JSawyer mod is pretty popular, check the OP for download link. It's a rebalance mod made by the game's own director, and a pretty comprehensive list of what it changes is here. Notable changes include:

Lower Player Health And Carry Capacity
Hardcore Needs Build Up Twice As Fast
Max Level Cap Of 35 With Lower Experience Gain
Stimpaks Now Have Weight
Stimpaks Found In Loot Containers Have An 80% Chance To Be Worthless "Expired" Stimpaks
Heavy Armour Given DR As Well As DT
Huge Karma Overhaul
All Soda And Alcohol Items Now Decrease Thirst
A Bunch Of Cut Fallout 3 Armors Added To Cliff Briscoe's Store For Some Reason?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

From what I remember from briefly installing it, it just removes the orange filter and makes nights darker.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I can't use an improved faces mod because I'm so used to the vanilla faces after 6 playthroughs. Sure I could download a mod that gives Boone a human face but then he wouldn't be Boone any more :(

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah the Bright followers are on the road you follow for the crit path, the opposite of the cheesing route. They're super tough if you just run that way unprepared though! :gonk:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Speaking of which, how much of an impact would something like EVE have on performance? I'd like some new energy weapon effects but I don't exactly have a high-powered gaming rig; the framerate is already imperfect and really suffers in caves for some reason, and EVE looks like it adds some pretty high-definition stuff so I'm wary of trying it out. Is there a mod which adds new effects but is lower-impact?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Is there any mod that adds new textures for melee/unarmed weapons like EVE does for energy weapons and most of the mods of the nexus seem to do for guns? I've been combing through there for a while and I've found this cool looking Gehenna mod and a bunch of lightsabres, but nobody seems interested in spicing up my sledgehammer or displacer glove.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Yeah EVE just gives energy weapons shiny new textures and prettier visual effects. It makes green lasers purple for some reason but doesn't add new weapons, though it does have a wider variety of critical kills (white hot ash pile, blackened ash pile, sometimes enemies explode into ash bits). I'm using Freeside Open (and Strip Open as well) and it stutters a bit when I go to where the zone transitions used to be and is maybe slightly more likely to crash, but in general it works fine, and I've just got an integrated Intel HD Graphics card and 4GB RAM.

The OP's mod list is still pretty good, I recommend Outside Bets and the retexture mods. One I like that isn't in the OP is DLC weapon integration, which adds DLC weapons to the main game. It's nothing insane- you can't buy an extra holorifle or whatever- I just run into Raiders who use .45 pistols and battle rifles occasionally, and I saved up to buy a LAER off a travelling merchant. I like this mod because it makes the game feel that bit more cohesive.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Seashell Salesman posted:

What do people think between the big texture replacement mods? I've used Poco/Ojo Bueno many times but never NMC.

I use the lowest res version of NMC and it still looks way better than the original game, though that might just be familiarity breeding contempt.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Legion retextures didn't look different enough to me in the screenshots so I never bothered with them. I've got retextures for just about every other armour and clothing item in the game, as well as most weapons, the NMC texture overhaul and one which touches up the robots and seems to have been designed for a much more orange version of the game (it also makes the securitrons' arms white for some reason???) but the Legion are stuck with their low-res armour forever. It fits with their low-tech aesthetic I guess!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

satsui no thankyou posted:

hows nmm. is there an idiots guide to making my game look pretty because im poo poo at computer. is there a mod that makes it take less time for me and my opponents to die. thank u and god bless

All I did was download Western Skies and the texture mods from the OP and it prettifies the game a lot. I got bored of seeing the same clouds in Western Skies so I started using Realistic Wasteland Lighting instead recently. Installing a mod is pretty much a case of downloading the mod file and putting it in your New Vegas folder, then ticking the box in the mod manager. It's so simple even I haven't broken my game with mods yet.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Marked Men in Lonesome Road live in cool cinder block teepees. Well, "live"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Supeerme posted:

Horses are extinct I think. Really I think they are going too far forward with the timeline, it's been over 200 years, everything still looks like 20 years after the bombs fell. You can't say that people are just willing to sit on their rear end eating radroaches thinking,
:v:"Golly this is the good life! Let's never rebuild civilizations again!"
People don't consciously decide to build civilisations, it happens naturally as a result of communities becoming interconnected and a bunch of sociological stuff which is over my head. NCR grew in the West, there's any amount of tribes all over the place, Caesar literally did build a civilisation from scratch, there's enough New World stuff going on that I can forgive people keeping broken mirrors and old books in their houses tbh

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I tried to make a list with links of more minor mods I like that aren't in the OP but my laptop decided to render itself nonfunctional halfway through each one, so gently caress it just search for these on Nexus if they sound interesting:

A Light Shining In Darkness Retexture: the big weapon retexture mod in the OP is pretty good but they made the unique .45 from Honest Hearts into a generic looking metal gun apart from the writing on the side. This mod fixes it up.

LAER Retexture Pack: Combines two separate retextures, applying one to the normal LAER and one to Elijah's.

There are some other nice retextures of stuff that isn't in any of the OP mods (I think) such as Gehenna(multiple choices of flame colour, including blue-green, dark purple, and yellow-white "holy" flame), the Flare Gun, and the Holorifle.

DLC Weapon Integration: adds DLC weapons to levelled lists. It's nice to maybe get a LAER or automatic rifle early on, but I mostly like it because it makes the game world feel more cohesive.

Improved Robot Textures: this guy did a bunch of these "improved" textures and they seem to be designed for a very specific lighting mod he uses. They're good but some stuff like the Securitron wheels looks a bit off. NE sure to check out the screenshots.

True Faction Allegiance: fixes Lonesome Road's faction detection.

Unique Ulysses Temple Music: adds some exciting music to the final confrontation of Lonesome Road. Really helps the atmosphere of that final encounter.

Any rerexture mods for melee weapons? Guns and energy weapons are covered but where's my 1080p Knock Knock?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

oneof27 posted:

I don't know if this is a mod issue or I am just bad at this game. I am trying the infiltration quest in Old World Blues and no matter what I do I get spotted straight away as soon as I try anything.

Just in case it's not a mod issue: run around the course destroying all the robots beforehand.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

By the way if you wear the stealth suit and destroy all the robots in the stealth course the suit tells you off. Old World Blues :allears:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

My last game crashed like once an hour. I didn't mind because it's quick enough to load up again, but next time I play I might get rid of the stutter remover and see how stable it is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

If it's the same problem EVE caused for me (tri-beam would take up the entire screen) try going to Gameplay settings and turning on True Iron Sights.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I love darker nights, it means I actually have to use that Cateye I always have a stockpile of. I got a great sense of unease roaming around Old World Blues popping Cateye and Ghost Sight, noticing that my supplies of both were running low and that I didn't have the crafting ingredients to make any more.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's a shame there doesn't seem to be anything that changes ending slide pictures, that's one big thing I've seen a million times and it'd be cool to get a fresh version.

What's a good mod that adds new armour for enemies to wear? I don't care about stats or effects but more visual variety in all the bandits and fiends I'm fighting would be nice. I've poked around the Nexus but most of the stuff seems to be PC armour only.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Funny enough, Fallout 3 was the first in the series to actually have less emphasis on the main quest. The first two games set a hard time limit (though it's really hard to time out Fallout 2; it's something like a 15 in-game year limit before Arroyo croaks)

Fallout 2 had to have a time limit because it was using the same engine as F1 and a time limit was hard coded into it or something. They made the limit 13 years or so to make sure there was no way a normal player would ever reach it.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

He's not the final boss of the DLC, the Sierra Madre Vault is.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The Long Haul perk is a monstrous enabler as well. That and Pack Rat suck up all my Barter points every time I play.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Is there a mod that's known for causing a weird sound issue where gun battles taking place half a mile away sound like they're really close? Or could it be an issue with the PC version of the actual game? Either way how do you fix it, it freaks me out.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When you installed FNV4GB it should have put a file called fnve4gb.exe in the game folder, use that to launch the game and it'll detect NVSE automatically.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I installed Nevada Skies and it seems to have made the first area of Lonesome Road really foggy so that you can't see the Divide in the distance any more. I tried to switch weathers and it said "nothing to switch to". Also the haze in the distance is bright pink sometimes which looks awful with the black clouds. I know it's not meant to be "lore-friendly" and I guess it's still better than any other weather/lighting mod I've tried but :argh:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You can disable the weather effects in the menu, otherwise I wouldn't even have installed it- I want some visual variety after playing the game a billion times on Xbox, not new gameplay elements like "radstorms". It does look good but I think I'm better off alternating between Realistic Wasteland Lighting and Western Skies as the mood takes me; between them they've got me covered and they don't have any major weaknesses like obscuring the defining feature of a DLC from the place where you're supposed to first see it.

Unrelated: I've been playing Tales From The Burning Sands recently and got burned out when I got to the Tiger Campus. I hate to leave a story unfinished but the "endless fetch quests" style of gameplay doesn't do much for me and the writing isn't good enough to make up for it. I'm still hovering between getting rid of it and slogging through in case there's a cool ending or a sweet new bit of loot or something.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

BurritoJustice posted:

Not armoury related, but for LPAM and Armour Compilation, is there overlap between these two? Are any of the big armour mods from the nexus merged in? Just so I can compare against what I have installed and remove overlapping mods if necessary.

If you download LPAM it includes a full list with screenshots of everything it adds, which might be helpful for comparing with other mods.

Similar question, will multiple weapon compilations cause problems? I got the mod that adds Fallout 3 weapons and I'm interested in the one which adds Fallout 1 and 2 weapons too. I think that since neither of them alters anything already in the game but just adds new items that shouldn't be a problem? Right? It wouldn't destroy my game utterly? Since I'm asking questions, what other mods do people use that aren't on the Nexus?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm playing through that now, I started near Novac which is apparently Tunneler Central because I got swarmed. I got to Mojave Outpost and now I'm heading north which seems more palatable so far. The atmosphere is pretty good and I like it at least as a break from the normal Mojave, but any idea where I go to find some story?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It's probably relatively realistic for a hot, dusty, very recently post-nuclear desert. I found a water fountain in Mojave Outpost and I was like "score!" but it wasn't working. I later said "score!" again... when I found a working toilet :negative:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Don't you die in the base game if your counters reach 1000 while you're asleep?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Install one mod at a time and keep a backup of your game files so you can easily put everything back the way it was. Sometimes two mods will affect the same thing, in that case the one that's lower on your load order will take priority- for example EVE gives the AER14 prototype a purple beam and different crit kill effects, but the JSawyer balance mod also affects that weapon and if you put it lower than EVE it'll undo the changes. Make sure your load order is right! Also in FOMM under "tools" there's an option called "archive invalidation" which is ticked. When you install a new mod untick it and then tick it again otherwise the changes made by the mod might not all be applied. I don't know what it is but it seems to work.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Is there a mod that just adds more campfire recipes? I've found a couple of mods that are close but they also add a load of ammo schematics and craftable weapons and whatever. I don't need any of that, I just find myself one ingredient short at campfires a lot and I'd like some more cookery options.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I'm semi-interested in Monster Mod just because I like a variety of enemies, but it'd just ruin my precious immersion to run into a super mutant with an alien head or a Terminator, as seen in the Terminator movie franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

The robot textures are good but he gave the securitrons white arms and the dirt on their wheels is too orange so he has to die. All the other robots look cool so I just install Improved Robot Textures and then a securitron retexture over that.