Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm planning to do a second playthrough in 1-2 months after I clear some more of my backlog. How hard is it to add mods to a VNV install? I want to add some of the SomeGuy quests mods, MoreMojave and Tammer's Weapon Pack to my load order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is that really a QTE sequence in a New Vegas mod

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Speaking of Tammer's mod, will anything bad if I use updated versions of the mod with the Living in New Vegas arnor plugin? Same goes for the other mods that use LiNV specific patch mods.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Speaking of updates, I'm still using the old version of Viva New Vegas as a base and using the new version to see if there are any new mods that replaced some on the old list. How bad of an idea is it to keep doing this especially as mods keep getting updated?

EDIT: Page snipe sorry. YUP got updated: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/51664

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

With MO2 it's trivially easy to just uninstall everything or create a new profile and follow the guide at it's most recent.

Ah sorry I meant the Living in New Vegas version. https://github.com/VivaNewVegas/Living-in-New-Vegas

I'm just mainly concerned about those premade patches. I think I know how to make the xEdit patches but I don't trust myself that any patch I make fixes all the issues.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I'm creating a new mod setup using VNV as a base. I think I know how to resolve conflicts via xEdit, but what's the best process to go about it? Is it better to conflict fix each mod as I install them or install all the mods I want then run xEdit?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Pretty neat new mod (You Are (Not) SPECIAL) that ties your skill caps to your attributes. E.g., charisma of 1 only lets you get speech to 55 (skillbooks let you go beyond your cap if you use them after reaching the cap).

That looks cool thanks. I've been looking for mods/Stewie tweaks to make Special more impactful and this is going to be big for me.

Eric the Mauve posted:

To be fair there are a couple of specific areas that are a really irritating huge empty slog where you desperately long for a sprint button, and the McCarran/Sharecropper Farms area is definitely right up there with Nellis and HD in that regard. Those areas really just needed an extra couple of fast travel markers. Thank the gods for modding.

This was one of the few things I had a problem with when playing however I didn't want to fast travel either as I felt that would take away the danger. I've wanted to use this mod but since it's 7 years old, I'm hesitant to use it. Is there a more up to date equivalent? If not The Living Desert and one or both of AWOLP and/or MoreMojave should help for normal travel.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Here's the Dead Money overhaul that's been discussed if you want to see what's in it: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/72139?tab=description I never actually saw the pictures until now but the massive list of changes including "39 new weapons" made me a bit skeptical and the picture Rinkles linked isn't helping.

There's also this new fast travel encounter mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73879

It looks promising although I would personally prefer if the encounters occurred in the world instead of through the menu.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I have to commend the New Vegas modding community for stabilizing the game so much that after 44 hours of playtime I've only had 6 crashes in spite of running 220+ plugins and 300+ installed archives. If I had to run a similar sized setup in say Oblivion, it would crash every 5-10 minutes.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Sorry for the possible dumb question that might also be more suited to the general thread, but since I'm also asking about DR which I believe only jsawyer adds, I decided to ask here. Does the 5mm rounds effect of -10 DT mean that a 5mm gun with 18 Damage effectively hits harder than say a 5.56 gun with 26 Damage? If it's true, is this still the case with DR in effect?

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Is there a modern version of this mod? I thought Stewie's Tweaks would have something that replicated this but it doesn't seem to exist there. I installed some quest mods and I wanted to increase the XP requirement to level up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

I mentioned that I was going to use the Viva New Vegas mod guide, but I was wondering if there was another mod list that builds off of it. The VNV guide has a page on mods to avoid, along with a bunch of alternatives that I thought about checking out, but I wanted to ask if anyone has or can point me towards a list of additional mods I can use without conflicts.

I was going to suggest the Mojave Express Guide but unfortunately that's also going to be shelved soon. It should still be useful until at least the end of the month I think.