Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Currently trying to identify which mod in my list is breaking text. At seemingly random moments it'll cause the OK button on a prompt (like an alert about DLC loading or such) to be slightly off-center and unclickable, forcing me to shut down the game from the Task Manager or Alt+F4. Or it'll cause my entire inventory in the looting menu to be squashed into a single line of text where nothing is clickable.

Normally you'd just click through and disable and enable mods selectively until you identify the bad egg. But it seems like there's little rhyme or reason to when it breaks; in one save, the inventory bug wouldn't come up when I was looting corpses but would come up when I tried to loot a nearby dead pack brahmin. Or looting would be fine, but trying to place a map marker resulted in the screen being locked permanently into an unclickable prompt to say yes or no. And most of the mods I have, I've used in the past with no problems.

Still not as bad as when Project Nevada told me that it couldn't detect its HUD extensions while we were still on the title screen, which couldn't be removed and thus made the game unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

delta534 posted:

That sounds like a UI/HUD mod installed wrong. Which one I could not tell you, since my experience with bad UI/HUD mod installs have resulted in a crash.

The only mod I have installed that should affect the HUD at this point is Project Nevada; Powered Power Armor was installed, but I removed it when it caused the same problem.

Which is odd, because Project Nevada is problematic but it's never caused that specific problem before. I am considering replacing it with a set of mods that replicate some of its functionality, though, like the bullet time (I prefer it over VATS).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Raygereio posted:

This means you either installed PN incorrectly and/or installed another mod that overwrote some hud files. My guess is that your current problem is related to that.

Be sure that you're using Archive Invalidated. Double check to see if you installed Project Nevada and any other mod you're using that have hud files (any mod with files that go under \Data\Menus) correctly acording their readme instructions. Also grab the Unified Hud Project and instal this last.

I definitely installed PN correctly, since I used FOMM to do it. I also double-checked on archive invalidation. It may have been Powered Power Armor (that's the only other mod on my list I can think of that would do anything with the UI), but they've always worked properly before.

Right now I'm finding a stable set of mods to use for a mod-based LP here, showing off the custom quests in particular. Among other things, I got the Monster Mod with a rebalancer so it actually meshes properly with the game instead of resulting in swarms of ultrapowerful custom mutants flooding the wastes. Before I had the rebalancer, traversing the Mojave basically consisted of pulling out your biggest gun and shooting everything that moved on instinct. Crossing the Ivanpah Race Track, I literally did not even notice what I was shooting beyond that it was close by and moving toward me. That's how bad the hordes are.

Turns out it's unbalanced because the creator set every custom monster to start spawning at level 1 instead of being properly on the leveled lists, set them to spawn 2 or 3 times as much as vanilla creatures with a 100% spawn chance in every potential location, and even removed some existing vanilla spawns and replaced them with his own stuff.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So far, I've confirmed that the Mod Configuration Menu tries to overwrite something in the Menu folder installed by Project Nevada.

I think I'll try the Mod Organizer later on. Right now I'm going to fire up a slightly lighter test game and go through all the content I plan on covering for the LP to make sure that there's nothing game-breaking.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

-Troika- posted:

It has a custom model.

Does it? I pulled up the wiki page for the unique gun and the regular plasma pistol and the pictures are literally identical. Like, switching tabs between pictures shows no change.

From what I remember, almost no gun in Fallout 3 has a unique counterpart with a custom model. The closest I can think of is Lincoln's Repeater, and only because they sort of went backwards and made a non-unique 10mm version for Point Lookout's tribals.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zilkin posted:

I don't think there is F3 mod thread anymore so I hope it's ok to ask here if the FO3 Wanderer's Edtion mod is any good? It kinda sounds bit like Sawyer's mod for F3, but on the other hand it seems to add stuff like bullet time(?), etc.

It's the predecessor to Project Nevada for FNV, which is my general go-to mod at the start. If you want a general purpose mod that adds a lot of new functionality, it's great. I even prefer using bullet time (slow-motion that uses AP) to VATS, since I no longer need to care about percentage chance to hit and I can shoot exactly how I want. It adds a lot of other functions as well, such as a hotkey to quickly pull and throw grenades like a modern FPS, a New Vegas-style needs system for food, water, and sleep, and an alternative start system that lets you start in a semi-randomly chosen area with random gear and perks based on your chosen profession and background and change exactly how many SPECIAL points you allocate and how many skill points you earn on leveling, which skips the entire post-birth intro sequence in less than 5 minutes (don't worry, you can still choose to be a Vault 101 dweller and start outside the Vault door). You can edit how everything operates to tune it to your own desires.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 22, 2014

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The sprint, grenade, and bullet time function of Project Nevada are probably the most important changes to the vanilla game in terms of combat. They allow you to play it more like a traditional FPS and give you a real-time alternative to VATS that's good enough to potentially let you override a low Guns or Energy Weapons skill with your own personal talent at mouse shooting, no percentage chances needed.

At the same time I recommend turning off the auto-aim function, either with PN's menu or a mod for it. The auto-aim can be total bullshit at times, causing your bullets to curve toward or away from a target regardless of where the sight is aimed. I also like to play with Realistic Headshots so I can pop human enemies and most animals in the head once or twice and go.

Before I had that installed, I discovered just how bullet spongey the enemies in New Vegas Bounties were. I had the damage turned up high enough and the armor rebalanced so that against unarmored enemies, a few shots even with a 9mm would kill reliably. I used Sweet Revenge, which is hilariously overpowered for a handgun. Against the final boss, it took two headshots to down him. I can't imagine how long it would take with vanilla statistics.

Speaking of bullet sponges, be very wary about using the Xenomorph and T-800 plugins for Monster Mod. The mod already badly unbalances the game unless you rebalance it (thankfully a mod exists for that, so no need to scrounge around in the GECK), but they're so impossibly tough that you start to wonder just how beating them is possible. Using the aforementioned damage increase, I went into god mode and used a fully upgraded Red Glare on a T-800. It took literally over a minute of sustained full auto fire (with the damage and fire rate upgrade, mind you) to kill one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I absolutely recommend the NMC textures if your computer can handle them (mine cost less than $800 pre-built, so pretty much any decent gaming rig, especially one that's custom built for modern games, won't even notice). They look infinitely better than the vanilla ones.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

All the DLC generally requires more skill on the part of the player, since they're made for higher level characters. Enemies tend to come hard and fast, often in ambushes. You need good reflexes, FPS talent, and weapon/ammo switching speed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cheap Shot posted:

edit: god drat. For some reason the whole steam folder was read only and I could have sworn I checked earlier and it wasn't. Going to turn that off now and see if it works.

edit 2: Ok so the problem is that the folders keep reverting back to read only after I change it. No idea why.

I'm having a similar problem with running things as administrator. FNVEdit and FOMM both revert back to not being "always run as administrator", and no matter how many times I go into preferences and reapply it, it won't stick. It only just started happening last month.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I love gibbing, but I will tweak PN so that the odds of people getting limbs severed/gibbed is greatly reduced. I feel like the default value is crazy-high, and it sort of turns it into a mundane happening when it should really be an awesome experience every time.

The only exception to this is that Fallout 1/2 animation where the dude gets shredded by automatic fire.

Yeah, that's how I prefer it. Most of the time the guys just fall over, while shotguns and .50 cal rifles actually gib and dismember and explosions tear bodies to shreds.

With energy weapons, though, it's just a mess.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, I agree that it's best to experience the game in a mostly vanilla state first. Use JSawyer to rebalance and tweak it a bit and MAYBE add Project Nevada, but that's all I suggest. Once you at least beat the main quest and maybe the DLC in that form, start modding.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

rocket_man38 posted:

Nevada skies is good as well, it changes the weather to make it more realistic.

I use Western Sky for mine. It's been a bit less glitchy than Nevada Skies and includes the Fellout-style filter removal.

Adding on to what I said, I would suggest (if you don't care about experience the low-quality vanilla textures) you get the NMC Texture Pack and Weapon Retexture Project, as well as Millenia's other weapon textures. It's more resource intensive than the base game, but it can make it seriously pretty if combined with Western Sky or Nevada Skies and/or Fellout.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SplitSoul posted:

He is referencing a mod that exists and has been covered in the awful mod thread, BTW.

Oh, this sounds like a wonderful thread that I need to find.

Edit: Got it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Mostly general purpose make-the-game-better stuff. I'm not looking to make the game unrecognizable but it would be nice if it was fun to play. It's too bad you can't get rid of the general clunkiness of Gamebryo.

First thing to get is Fallout: Wanderer's Edition. It's the predecessor to Project Nevada, and incorporates some of the same stuff (rebalancing options, grenade hotkey, sprint and bullet time functions, etc.), but it also incorporates a New Vegas-style needs system and an alternative start function like Roleplayer's Alternate Start for New Vegas, which massively speeds up starting a new game by letting you skip the entire Vault tutorial after birth.

After that, I would get the Weapon Mod Kits to add that functionality into it. From then on, you can grab just about anything you want. Personally I like to use Vurt's Flora Overhaul, which has several different variations to let you change the look of the wasteland to fit your personal view of how lush or dead it should be. No matter the variation, it always adds a ton of trees, grass, and brush to generally enhance the appearance of the wasteland.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Like, I can understand a desire to get rid of some of the really sterile look the game has. Stuff like making long-dead corpses actually look long-dead or giving a wounded character some cuts and bandages? That's cool, and I like that he did that.

But that poo poo's just excessive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Tale of Two Wastelands is working for literally hundreds of other posters in this thread, sounds like you have a lovely computer that can't even run FOMM hth

I don't know about that, since he did a Max Payne 3 LP on it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If you've turned off food healing you, what other ways aside from stimpaks can you get healed?

Any non-food healing item will work. So along with all the variations on stimpaks, there's healing powder (which you can almost definitely make no matter your starting Survival skill from common ingredients), bitter drink, thin and thick red paste from OWB, and healing poultice and blood shield from HH.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

razorrozar posted:

Bitter drink is especially good, other than lacking extra effects. It drops fairly commonly off Legionaries and heals quite a bit instantly.

Is it worth making auto-inject stims?

Ehhh. It saves on the hassle of needing to go into your inventory and heal up manually, but depending on your play style (especially if you play with mods that increase damage) you could end up passing the threshold and dying before it activates. I just find it more prudent to pay attention.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I just use FOMM to get everything in place and use FNVEdit (or its equivalent for other games) to check for conflicts beforehand.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

razorrozar posted:

Ah, I was. My mistake.

Been a while since I used shotguns.

When I got some mod guns and the 00 Commando mod to make shotguns realistically useful, I had a run where I basically used nothing but a 20 gauge pump-action. With slugs, I could plink radscorpions from 50 yards.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bob NewSCART posted:

00 Commando?

Here. It makes the shotguns less like typical video game shotguns: increases the range and damage while decreasing the spread of shot. So instead of your classic Call of Duty gun where the shot simply evaporates past 50 feet and a 30 foot shot has half of the pellets miss entirely because the cloud is bigger than a person, you can now deal at least passable damage out to a few dozen yards with buckshot and tear poo poo up in close quarters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alouicious posted:

so since there's no Fallout 3 mod thread anymore, I might as well bring this up here, I tried installing FWE and the game keeps crashing when I start a New Game. Sup with that?

What other mods do you have?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alouicious posted:

DarnUI and a mod that separates the helmet from the Chinese Stealth Suit, and the mod didn't work even before the CSS mod

maybe i just don't understand how it's "fomod ready" because I follow the install instructions and there's no way to actually do what it says in FOMM so I had to do what it says to do with NMM so idk

If I remember correctly, installing it with FOMM was just a matter of adding it in the package manager and double-clicking to start the install process. Even if that doesn't work, usually just unzipping the file into the Data folder should be enough. Perhaps something in your mod was corrupted or missing?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

McSlave posted:

So I just started a new playthrough and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any companion mods that aren't just awful. Delilah was so terrible I uninstalled it after one conversation, and Willow is getting on my last nerve very quickly.

Try Russell from the Someguy series. He's easily available from the 188 Trading Post and comes with his own quest, with everything tying into the rest of the Someguy series like New Vegas Bounties and The Inheritance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I agree, just do a full install on PN. I've used it for so long that I barely remember how to play without the slow motion or grenade hotkey. At the very least, I hope the grenade throwing is implemented in Fallout 4 because it's useful as hell (and it's still perfectly immersive unlike Halo or COD because the hotkey simply equips, pulls the pin, and throws by holding one button rather than needing to use quick select hotkeys or sort through it all manually).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

It's kinda surprising we don't have a :bethesda: emoticon by this point. I guess :sterv: might work...

I installed Character Overhaul, Realistic Wasteland Lighting, Interior Lighting Overhaul and Onix ENB, and holy poo poo, this game actually looks pretty good now. Shame there's no mod to replace all the janky animations.

Absolutely, especially when combined with NMC's textures and a weather mod like Nevada Skies or Western Skies. The game can be massively improved in appearance with relatively little impact on performance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

OH NO MAN posted:

I already had a weird glitch with RWL where the sun would be replaced by various ground textures (:catdrugs:) whenever I exited an interior cell, but redoing the archive invalidation in FOMM seems to have fixed that issue.

I had the same glitch with Nevada Skies.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It seems like it's firing multiple explosive buckshot pellets rather than one explosive projectile.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

itsjustdrew posted:

I'm sure there would be a flashlight mod somewhere. It'd actually be pretty cool if you could only see 20 feet or so, it'd make it more interesting / scary / survival like in my opinion. NV to me, as I've said a few times, doesn't feel apocalyptic, it just feels like living in a desert.

There is indeed a flashlight mod. I have yet to test it out, but I know that an older mod had some glitches and took a toll on the frame rate.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

Does anyone know of any good single action revolvers out there? Any time I look for revolvers they are all double action. :(

Now that you mention it, I really don't. All I know of are some maybe good cap and ball replicas that use cartridges like this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

I would use it, but I'm looking for one that also has the reload animation of the .357 revolver.

Basically, you're looking for a Colt Single Action Army. Which is mostly just the .357 Magnum from the game in a new caliber and optionally retextured.

There's an average one here in .44 Magnum.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

razorrozar posted:

Agents Are Go helped me fix the problem I had earlier. Thanks again!

Unrelated: how does ST Robot interact with OWB, considering I don't have a heart, spine, or brain?

If it's compatible, I would imagine that the game would just keep going and pretend that you had a heart, spine, and brain and shove them in there. There would be a discrepancy in the dialogue and plot about finding your brain, but nothing else.

What I'm more interested in is if you can put the organs "back" in your body or if ST Robot just overrides it?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Renditious posted:

Depends on the bounty. Some bounties are only for the finger (no option to capture alive), and I think their quest text should say if this is the case. Some bounties will involve the person initiating conversation first, and you can convince them to surrender rather than fight.

Other bounties, particularly ones that start with a fight, will require you hurt, but not kill, the bounty before they'll surrender. If they have henchmen or friends, you'll usually have to kill them first. Once you've done some damage (not 100% sure how much, but try to at least cripple a limb), they'll give up fighting and try to initiate conversation to surrender. You have to be careful when damaging them that you don't kill them too fast or fail to give them a chance to stop fighting and talk, since there can be a bit of a delay for the game to realize they should stop fighting and start talking.

As for the collar, I don't think there's an actual item, it just comes into existence through dialog when they give themselves up.

As far as I know, the collar is "always there" when you accept a dead-or-alive bounty. Some don't even require a fight, as you can talk them down before a fight begins.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

If you install 00 Commando, shotguns become beastly. The guns and ammo are cheap and there's tons of reloading options, and increasing their damage and spread to more realistic levels turns them into hard hitters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Mortimer posted:

Making the strip all one worldspace mod: good or bad? Is there still one that adds a bunch of buildings on the strip?

Other than being awesome to look at is there any big advantage/disadvantage anymore? I remember some quest mods were a bit wonky if they involved changing areas but I think they got those worked out.

I think the vanilla quests are patched to avoid any bugs with the Strip Open mods. The biggest issue is its hit to your performance, like Freeside Open.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yeah, the instructions for Nevada Skies says to only use one of those ESPs. The three of them are conflicting.

You don't have Tale of Two Wastelands from what I can see, so delete that one and the Basic one. Only use Ultimate DLC Edition.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cartoon Violence posted:

Just a quick question - Is it possible that the game engine has too many mods and just outright can't run? I'm doing an insane "kitchen sink" mod run of the game, and after I've been constantly installing and testing each batch I get. It's been working fine, but after my final few were added, I've run into a strange bug where I can load the game and my save fine at first. After that, the ESC Pause menu won't come up, but the game is running, combat works, etc. If I try to fast travel somewhere, the confirmation has the Yes and No options jumbled together so they can't be clicked, and thus the game is stuck. I've tried making a merge patch for the whole set of mods, and I'm using 4GB and NVAC as well. I can't find anything clashing with each other, especially in such an odd way.

I've had that happen as well. It could also be some mods conflicting; I've had setups where running a specific mod or two (like Powered Power Armor or Freeside Open) in conjunction with the rest would cause that problem. It could also be something that overwrites the HUD and UI files, especially if you have a mod that did that already and a new one overrides the override.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

STiL. posted:

Is there any mods that let you go hardcore sperg on the crafting? I'm playing through hardcore/jsawyer for the first time and I'm hoarding like a beast but I NEED MORE.

I'd particularly interested in a mod that replaces the crafting ui with something sane and added recipes to break crafted items down.

Won't replace the UI for it, but Craft Master and Craft Pack do exactly what you want for sperging out. Just about every item in the game can be broken down into component pieces that can be remade into just about any other item; you can break down ash trays for lead for your guns, for instance, or melt down metal objects like cutlery and pots and pans to reforge into blades. It goes so far as to add chemicals and salts (which you can get from fire extinguishers) to let you go even deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Average Bear posted:

Apparently my jsawyer.esp is missing a master (little /!\ in MO) and won't let the game start, but I have all DLC and it doesn't actually display any missing masters.
Needed to install the Courtiers Stash. Weird but hey it was only a dollar.

Also how can I get Project Nevada to work with MO?
Well poo poo I figured that one out on my own too. I'm a good mod user

Okay so for project nevada: When I start a new game I get an error saying it insatlled wrong because it can't something something HUD. What is wrong here?

Could have sworn I already made a post on this. But Ray is right: you screwed up the install. I would uninstall and reinstall it, preferably by using FOMM to install the FOMOD file instead of just manually shoving the stuff in.

If a reinstall with the Darnified compatibility patch fails, I would redownload it. Something may have gotten deleted or corrupted.