Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Klaus88 posted:

How do I get Weapons mod expanded and WRP to work with a bashed patch? I have the patch that's supposed to make the two play nice but somethings off right now.

EDIT: Never mind, figured out what I was doing wrong. :shepicide:

It seems like some of these mods go out of their way to phase their instructions in the most obtuse manner possible.

Wait, what did you do to fix it?

Someday in the future, someone out there will have the same problem, and after delving through ancient forum posts for hours on end, they will find your post here. And they will want to know what you saw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Fallout 3 beats New Vegas on aesthetics, in my opinion. The environment is blasted and devastated, all the weapons and armors look like Fallout guns and armors, and so on. New Vegas feels like a hodgepodge of cowboys, WW2, gangsters, and retro-50's style that just doesn't blend well. The desert feels a lot more bland and barren (and not in the wastelandish sort of way). Weird that the sequel made pretty much by the people who made the originals had so little of the originals aesthetics.

I'd also say that I think FONV has too many different guns, but I'd also say that about Call of Duty or MGS4, so eh :shrug:.

New Vegas beats Fallout 3 in just about every other category, though. Good Lord are the dialogue options in FO3 terrible.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

On the other hand NV actually has an identifiable aesthetic and isn't a bunch of completely unrelated set pieces randomly scattered on a world map that you get with FO3. It's such an absolute trainwreck of a "world" that doesn't mesh as a cohesive place at all. Which is incredible given what they had to work with in the capital.

Touché.

Speaking of Fallout 3, is there a list of "required" or suggested mods for FO3, or an old OP? I just got the GOTY off of Steam, and want to give it a go.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
How are Beyond Boulder Dome, DEIMOS, and Project Brazil?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Speaking as someone who has been outside at night, it is in fact possible to see outside at night.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Is there actually a mod that puts some boobs on a mole rat?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Coughing Hobo posted:

There was, and Nexus management had a shitfit over how popular it got and the existential threat that it posed to the integrity of the site and they took it down.

No no, you see I made a joke, and that's how I know you are also joking, because that is just too ludicrous to be a real thing that happened, right?

...right?

:nexus:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Kumaton posted:

Awesome! Now add in the weapon/armor modding system of 4 and I'll never have to play 4 again.

Is it possible to modify the Gamebryo engine in FO:NV so that combat and basic movement don't feel like total poo poo?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

Probably, though it would take a lot of work. Skyrim isn't as far off from the FO3 Gamebryo as Bethesda would claim, and the animation modders over there have done some major movement revamps that make things feel more natural. I think it just comes down to time commitment and motivation, but I can see it being workable.

I don't mean the animations, I mean the game feel, or ~kinesthetics~. Moving in New Vegas feels like controlling a drone with a spotty connection: movement commands can lag just slightly but enough to notice, sometimes you won't crouch when you hit the crouch key, and jumping feels like launching a barrel a few feet into the air. Everything is off, even if just ever so slightly.

It's not a big deal, otherwise I wouldn't have played for more than 300 hours, but it's always bugged me and made the shooting feel subpar.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Bouchacha posted:

I'm about 30 hours in and I realized I just don't like this game. Is something wrong with me? I've played through modded FO3 with the Wanderer's edition and various other plugs and just loved it to death through about 140 hours. I still fondly remember exploring its various locations even though it was 5 years ago. New Vegas just does not grab me in anywhere the same manner. It feels empty and boring, and every time I show up to a new town I sort of groan because I realize I have to walk through a lot of empty space to talk to maybe 3 dudes (camp mccarran was a prime example). Am I doing something wrong? I barely modded it beyond some QOL additions and Project Nevada. I really want to like it!

Edit: Also it's really frustrating how many enemies have gotten stuck in the geometry

No, nothing's wrong with you; most people tend to like one and dislike the other. I love New Vegas for it's depth in story and characterization, but it is incredibly barren at times. A lot of the map is underused, especially the north and everything on the Legion side of the river.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Crindee posted:

what's wrong dude don't you want all the women to look like nude bodybuilders

:stonk:

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Is it possible to have weapons with a secondary fire in the game engine? Like, primary fire is just shooting, secondary would shoot a grenade, like in Half Life or something.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Hm, yes, the very reasonable invisible walls in New Vegas.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

ThaumPenguin posted:

It's been on "maintenance only" for about a year, so it's missing newer mods, like the recently released Weapon Mesh Improvement Mod from the head TTW dev, as well as the True 3D Sound for Headphones mod, which does what it says on the tin.

the true 3d sounds link just goes back to the weapon meshes

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Bogart posted:

You say that but here I am twenty days into a Mentats trip and comfortably able to purchase my high for the next sixty years by stuffing gold bars into the beheaded corpse of my would be slaver and power walking away with both, so who’s really letting go?

zombie Dean Martin because I exploded his head

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
what is he mad about?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

uh i feel very uncomfortable right now

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
i've added this cut weapon mods... mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43875?tab=description) to new vegas, and unfortunately it makes the varmint rifle fire .22LR instead of 5.56 for some reason. is there an easy way to change this or do i just not use the mod?

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Hobo on Fire posted:

You can open the mod up in xEdit and just delete the overwrites it makes to the varmint rifle.

i opened it with FNVEdit and made the change, you're right!! thanks a lot, i know it's a little thing but it was really bugging me :)

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

Every day modders drift further into darkness.

the good (bad?) news is that i can confirm you were 100% correct to not use .22LR with the varmint rifle, because it was practically useless. 5.56 is definitely the way to go

or that, jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Taerkar posted:

Time to make a mod that changes the varmint rifle into the real correct caliber: .223

it can already use that though?

wait is that the joke

did i miss the joke