Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zeron posted:

Darnified UI(or this newer version, but I haven't tried that yet) to redeem the UI a bit.

I should note that when I tried the "newer" version the TTW guys made, it does not play well with the oHUD mod, particularly the Immersive HUD part, which is bad because all the additional elements the TTW version adds (or re-adds, since they're trying to restore FO3 Darn functionality) actually make the HUD more cluttered and distracting, and not being able to selectively hide them is a big turn off for me. Sadly, neither the TTW Darn guys or the oHUD dude seem particularly interested in making updates to allow compatibility between the two.

Also, the UIO is does not take the TTW Darn into account, which can cause problems if you're, say, switching from regular Darn and can't find all the uio instances screwing things up and you have to uninstall the whole game and start over to make things work properly. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Thanks. I already deleted the game after an hour of "game crashes on launch" even with a fresh install and no mods. FO3 is not destined to be played post Windows XP except by a select few.

Yeah, TTW was legit the only way I was able to play the game on Win 7 without diddling with ini settings and whatnot.

Then I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled NV fresh after two runthroughs because FO3 kept reminding me how much better New Vegas is.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The only thing I can think to add is you might want to run this puppy in MO, since I ran TTW in FOMM and after two playthroughs decided I didn't like FO3 and just wanted to play regular New Vegas going forward, so I felt I had to uninstall both the mod and the game itself to start fresh. Was probably unnecessary, but I didn't want to risk TTW leaving leftovers in dark corners, so to speak.

MO, I imagine, would make that a non issue. Have fun listening to Liam Neeson not be his character in Taken.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

khy posted:

Gah. For some reason on my latest game I'm having so much more difficulty with Deathclaws. I'm wearing 12DT armor and have 350hp and I'm getting one-shot by them. I remember them hitting hard but I don't remember them hitting THAT hard.

Deathclaw attacks completely ignore DT and DR. You could be tooling around in enclave power armor with all the owb dt perks and dosed to the gills with med x and they would still tear through you like you were tissue paper.

khy posted:

How do people playing melee/unarmed runs handle Deathclaws?

I personally don't. I reserve a sniper rifle of some stripe on all my playthroughs just for Deathclaws. Distance is your best armor against the things.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CFox posted:

It's DarnUI, if you have MCM you can disable all of that it's just a separate checkbox for each item.

Specifically, it's the TTW DarnUI. Regular NV DarnUI is compatible with oHUD to be able to selectively disable/hide hud elements, but that is not the case with the TTW DarnUI. And the TTW DarnUI guys and the oHUD guy apparently aren't speaking to each other and thus neither one seems interested in working on compatibility for the other's mod. The result is a UI cluttered with crap on all the time that you can't get rid of easily.

I'd say uninstall TTW Darn and go with the old NV DarnUI and oHUD and just use that until the modders get their act together. That's certainly what I did.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Knuc U Kinte posted:

What's up with Lombard Station...I installed it on an existing character to check it out and there was no key or corpse in Jean Sky Diving...

Same thing happened to me, seems the body just doesn't like to spawn naturally on anything other than a fresh character. Either console the door open (it's in the mountains northwest of Goodsprings) or just console the key (01025e1b) into your inventory.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lazy_Liberal posted:

I'm sure this has been answered already but am I supposed to download FOMOD or FOMOD FORK? One of them is the original with thousands more downloads, but the other is more recently updated.

I'm intending to start a TTW run.

Fork, the TTW install guide specifically says the original FOMOD won't work with the installer.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
As an aside, I can tell you straight up your load order for Lombard Station is incorrect. I'm not totally certain it'll affect anything, but the readme says the optional esps need to be loaded their corresponding DLCs were released in, and LS is not in the LOOT Master File so it just kinda durrs out and falls back on conflict detection instead. I'd advise either manually telling LOOT to load the esps one after the other, or just merge them all with the fnvedit merge script.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm still curious to see what mods he used because that is the first time I've seen anything about Mothership Zeta look cool.

J.J. Abram's Mothership Zeta, coming summer 2016.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

How the hell do you manage to stay at Neutral karma?

Console commands?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Let me tell you about a mod called Powered Power Armor, which makes power armor weightless when worn.

And a bunch of other poo poo you probably don't want and can't easily disable because why would anyone update their mod to use MCM in TYOOL 2015.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

Mators Merge Plugins standalone works with New Vegas...

Could probably use some folks contributing to the dictionary report thing though considering how laughably sparse it is. No, I can't do it because... gently caress you is why. (also, I'm really lovely at writing reports and only merge a few tiny tweak mods anyway)

At least it's not as bad as Mator Smash is right now for New Vegas, which has no premade settings or documentation at all for anything other than Skyrim, and you basically have to be fluent in Gamebryo records to figure out how to set things.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

"Is The Frontier out yet?"

*checks website, nope!*

Also, kind of sad how modding activity on the Nexus for the game is almost still now. Game is old and they've done a lot with it to be fair.

Fallout 4 is the new hotness, especially for the hardcore apocalyptic survivalist enthusiasts who make up a sizable chunk of the Fallout modding community. Those folks in particular always tended to prefer Bethesda's FO games anyway since it matches better to what they want from the series. FO4 has better mechanics than NV (besides the lack of DT, which they never liked anyway) and and nice big broken open world for them to sandbox in. They've been waiting to get off New Vegas for ages, and now especially with the release of the FO4 GECK, they can finally leave the "silly old western-wannabe" behind for good.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agents are GO! posted:

My general rough rule of thumb is that the smaller the scope of a mod, the lower in your load order it should be.

A mod that adds a whole new worldspace and questline should be fairly high up (unless its Beyond Boulder Dome in which case it's proper position in your load order is the recycle bin) while a mod that rebalances one class of weapons should be around the middle, and one that redesigns two NPCs should be at the end.

Or something like Nevada Skies which, unlike most mods which scream at you to PUT VERY LAST IN LOAD ORDER MY MOD IS THE MOST SPECIAL AND MOST IMPORTANT YOU'LL HAVE, actually does need to have its esp component put just above the merged/bash patches.

Also, if you don't have it already, just download LOOT and run it at least once. No, I don't care what functionality Mod Organizer says it has, you need standalone LOOT to actually tell you if you have a load-order specific issue.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I generally just play TotW as a straight FO3 Total Conversion mod and ignore the train station (and its ridiculous supermutant infested sidequest), and when I get sick of it and want to play a good game, I uninstall it (cause Mod Organizer is awesome like that) and play a fresh character in New Vegas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sensenmann posted:

And finally, I'd really recommend you make a merged patch with xEdit. That's far from being the biggest load order I've ever seen but a merged patch will still help you.

In theory, we shouldn't need to ever do this again since Mator apparently finally updated Mator Smash to 1.0 about a month ago, which according to change log includes both a fix to actually loving work with the Fallout games and a Quick Patch button so normal people can use this thing. If this is the case (which I haven't used yet and thus can't verify myself), that should mean that running MS generates just the one Smashed Patch that obsoletes both the Bashed and Merged patches of old.

Again, in theory.