Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Wow, thanks for the kudos about my Coyote Reflex Power Armor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

I'm fooling around with perks to try to make a shoving perk - sneak up behind someone, activate and choose Shove, and you'll push them over. Sucker. Anyhow, I've gotten so far as the activation, but the question is how to determine what the target reference is and from there how to send them flying. Entry Point - Activation under perks uses a different kind of scripting from other stuff, and I was wondering if anyone her has played around with it at all?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

rope kid posted:

Look at the knockdown effects applied through script, e.g. the Victory Rifle knockdown script. You can apply a push in a similar fashion.

The push isn't the problem - having played with the weapon effects I think I've got a handle on knockback. I'm more concerned about how to actually get it to target the person I'm trying to activate on. The script I'm using works when attached on a weapon, but not here, ah!

Swartz posted:

Take a look at this mod: http://newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39009

It uses NVSE to do it, but he bound one of the keys to shoving people. Look through what he did and just copy it and tweak it.

Wow, I need to take a look at this for completely seperate reasons, that looks awesome. That being said, the functionality may not really be what I'm looking for just because it's not done through snéak + activation.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 8, 2011

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Danger - Octopus! posted:

You can murder the van graffs and get one. Or buy one there maybe.

Are there any mods for sniper laser/plasma rifles?

Workin' on one. Crappy textures though :shobon:

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

doomfunk posted:

One gender of one of the seven suits I made for some reason has a totally screwed right leg in all animations. It strikes some pretty freaky poses.

I'm not sure what could've caused this, because the male version has the same pieces mostly and doesn't have this problem.

In nifskope, does that piece happen to be named after a Node? That's what's usually ends up happening during my ventures.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Syrant posted:

Arenovalis might be willing to help you out if he has the time. :shobon:

Haha he'll take one look at my UV maps and be like "WHAT DID YOU DO"

doomfunk posted:

Yep, that was it. I'm usually pretty paranoid about having my ninodes not be named for bip nodes, nfi how this escaped me. Thanks for the reminder!

Bam, good to hear.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

I looked at the scripts of the coyote reflex armor, but I kind of didn't like how it added some things like hotkeys directly to reference objects, which could go really haywire if some objects would be added more than once to the world, so I scripted my own version of the toggleable stealth field for the armor, which uses a proper hidden quest to hold it's values. In it's current incarnation the field is toggleable by F12, only works if both helmet and armor are equipped and turns instantly off if one of them is removed. It has a slowly regenerating pool of energy which discharges itself depending on how fast the player moves or if he's shooting or jumping, just as the crysis armor. It also doesn't work in water (The command doesn't work). I also added a -1 CHR stat to the helmet, because it really doesn't look friendly. At the moment I'm adding an effect, "Headache" which will temporarily lower INT and PER when the Armor gets used too much, (and probably prohibit stealth usage until it's gone) maybe I'll even add some HUD gauge for how much energy is left in the armors reservoir, it's really interesting to learn scripting this way, the only difficulty in scripting for this engine seems to be to workaround it's limitations, haha.

Hey, that all sounds pretty good! The Reflex armor helped me learn how to script, but it's definately not optimized, so feel free to make it better because lord knows I don't know how to, haha.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

I delved a bit deeper and can't stop being :psyduck: about what I'm seeing about the engine, or at least about the scripting. There's so much potential for bugs alone because of how things are set up and a lot of stuff just lacks consistency and screams for being implemented wrong. Also extra no-effort points for not even renaming functions that where there since oblivion (I know it isn't important if something is called a magic effect or whatever, but it somehow just screams :effort:, it kind of made me a bit of dissapointed about this awesome game, especially because it feels like there went so much thought into the story) I also loved how they went ahead and implemented functions to call for in scripts they probably just needed once in game for a quest, the whole thing just lacks common ground and consistency and the language is horrible, I even think I've seen GoTos. :gonk:

Sorry if you made the Coyote armor, I didn't want to rip into you for it or anything, but often it's only little things that can improve performance of scripts a lot. Take GameMode, something that gets executed every frame, if you do a lot of real time dependant stuff in GameMode, like keyboard input, it might be smart having the function only execute it's main body of code every 0.25 seconds for example, not every frame. It doesn't sound like a huge difference if something gets executed every frame or every quartersecond, but in a real situation it might be a huge difference for the computer to do something 60 times a second to do something 4 times a second, (In programming terms, a second can be an eternity and make a hell of a difference performancewise) or liberal use of returns if you're sure you're done in one loop if certain conditions are met. Avoiding superfluous Ifs. Stuff like this. I hope for Skyrim they'll use something more real and substantial like C# or Lua or whatever (They're all the same anyways) not this "Visual Basic gone wrong".

At the moment I'm trying to implent having the stealth suit working on companions, and it being disabled when the wearer gets hit. I'll probably upload the finished .esp at least here in the thread so it doesn't feel like I've completly wasted my time, I don't think I'll have energy for much more though and I can't really put it as an improvement on the Nexus because the author of the orginal reinforced stealth armor would probably throw a hissyfit, knowing the community there. (If you're the author and reading this and don't think that would be your reaction, then I'm sorry, but you sure can see where I'm coming from)

Edit: made some clarifications

Hell no, I appreciate anything that could improve it. I know little about coding and really anything that better qualified people can do to help is appreciated. Feel free to upload anything based on the Coyote armor, man.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Cerebulon posted:

Anybody how how to modify street sign textures for Fallout 3?
I was expecting individual textures I could simply edit, but not all that surprisingly all of the street sign objects reference one texture sheet with all the letters with "Ave" "Bvd" "Rd" and so on on individually. I get the impression I should be doing something in NifSkope but I'm completely lost.

It also makes me less than optimistic about lettering on metro tunnel signs.

You could possibly split the textures into individual images and modify the signs in NifSkope so that they point at your different textures.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Safety Hammer posted:

I'm thinking of modeling some more classic video game energy weapons. Does this sound like a good idea? If so is there anything anybody wants to see in particular? I was thinking of doing either the plasma gun from Doom or the one from Xcom.

Sounds great, could you do the modifications too like scopes and the like?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

So this is really awkward to ask, but I don't really know a better way - does anyone know how to script conversations with NPCs/would said person like to help me? I'm the dude who made the Coyote Reflex armor a while back and I want to give it one final update before I finish it off for good. I have a fairly decent idea what I want to do with it, I just lack the skills (and, frankly) time to learn how to use the dialogue system. It's not a complicated task, I just have no idea where to start. Any takers?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Naky posted:

Unlike F3 there's a dialog editor in GECK now that I hear isn't so bad to use.

I know, I took a look through it, I just can't manage to link the dialogue there to an NPC. There's definately a simple crucial bit I'm missing.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Talkie Toaster posted:

I've got a fair bit of experience playing with dialogue, so I'm happy to help. Where're you running into problems?

I just got home from work and haven't had a chance to look at the tutorials others posted earlier, but pretty much my problem is the very basic 'I have an NPC made, how do I give him branching dialogue' issue. I've tried to reverse engineer from looking at other shop keepers and the like, but there's something fundamental missing in my thought process about it.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Holy crap modifiying weapon modifications is a pain in the rear end. Everything was working fine a while ago, now whenever I try to test out the different combinations the game crashes. BUT it doesn't always crash on the same combinations. Sometimes one mod will work but another will crash, leading me to thinking it's a modeling problem, but sometimes I'll try it and it will work fine. It's driving me mental! Anyone else had this happen to them?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Naky posted:

Also the game doesn't like you modding guns in a stack. Equip it first and modify it then.

I'll take a look at the Nifskope files, as I'm sure that's at the root of it. However, what do you mean by the text I quoted?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Naky posted:

Errr. You quoted text? Oh and even if the nodes look like they have text in them double check it anyway. Nifskope loves to make pasted parts look like they have a name but are actually blank.

Welp, fingers crossed but it looks like the culprit was having a bunch of extraneous nodes/tristrips pulled in while I was copy-pasting, in addition to a liveral sprinkling of ## named NiMaterialProperties. Thanks for the help!

edit: Oop, spoke too soon. Seemed to work for a while - I made a copy of the stock model and then the fully upgraded model and pruned the crap out of both of them, and they both worked okay. Then I left for a bit and came back, and they no longer work.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 15, 2011

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Does anyone know a scripting method to force a player to become a race, perchance?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Fat_Cow posted:

So I grabbed the more perks mod, and took Destiny Gambler as my first perk. The text file just says random events happen during combat, does anyone have some examples of it?

An invisible deathclaw might spawn behind you and attack on a bad roll.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Hiya, I've been thinking about a neat weapon concept but I'm not too sure how to implement it so I thought I'd ask here. Essentially I want to make a gun that teleports you to where the shot lands. It's really not too tough to do, and I have it partially implemented already - if the shot (or the explosion) hits an actor, you can grab their reference and do a player.moveto to shift em over there. That's all well and good, but it doesn't allow you to move to an arbitrary place (can't just shoot a wall and teleport there). Probably what I'll have to do is have the shot create a reference point with placeatme or something and then teleport to that reference. Problem is, I have no idea how to do that in practice. Anyone have any experience with creating and grabbing reference IDs on the fly?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

So I'm trying to make a quest in the GECK and it's much tougher than making armor and weapons are! There's a few things I can't seem to figure out, so I figured I'd ask em here:

1) Dialogue - I think I've got this one figured out from reverse engineering the existing stuff, but would anyone happen to know of a good tutorial for it?

2) Placing Corpses - I've figured out how to set their health to zero and place them in GECK with havok on so they drop in a pleasantly awkward fashion, but whenever I get to that area, there's nothing there. I'm wondering if they're disappearing as the corpses get regularly cleared away from cells and if so how I can prevent that from happening. I also wonder how to place them dismembered, but that's secondary.

EDIT: Fixed by checking off "Quest Item" in their edit box as well as checking off Persistant Reference in the preview window. Still not sure about how to have dismembering, however.

3) This is actually only tenuously quest related, but the model for the weapon reward in the quest has some issues - when it drops in Havok physics, it actually breaks in half when it hits the ground - the model is in two seperate pieces, both colliding and picking up either allows you to pick up both. Any ideas on how to fix this or would anyone mind taking a look at it?

EDIT: Fixed by looking at it in NifSkope - turns out when I was cannibalizing pieces from other guns, I copied in another collision mesh. Redirecting things so they all pointed at the same mesh solved matters.

Modding this game is so much drat fun, I just wish I was better at it.

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Scripting question: Hi, I have a scripting question - I want to create an effect whereby for the duration damage comes off of stamina instead of health. I think I could do it by checking health at the beginning of the effect and whenever health changes somehow get the amount changed and subtract it from stamina and re-add the same amount to health until the effect wears off. The main question is, how would I be able to track when health changes? And once I figure that out, how do I track the amount lost? Any thoughts?

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Nov 16, 2011