Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

procitizen posted:

I'm really bad filtering through the bullshit on the nexus sites, is there any difficulty mod that actually makes headshots always loving kill things, 100% no matter how important they are? It's frustrating as hell to empty a shotgun into somebodies head, only for them to lean over and give me an aggravated look before shooting back. Also if this effected the player too it'd be great. Basically how do I make this game into STALKER
Easy enough to do in the GECK. Open it up, go to Actor Data->Bodypart Data, then you can find the default data under Characters and turn the Head damage multiplier up to 999 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Co-sine posted:

I swear I saw a mod once which allowed you to (Rudimentary) recruit pretty much any NPC as a follower via conversation. I have searched everywhere on the nexus and I just can't find it. Am I insane or does it actually exist?
Just to drag up a post from like ages ago, I made Companion Share & Recruit which did this for Oblivion & Fallout, and I've got a version for New Vegas done but not actually had time to test it in actual play what with exams and coursework. Would anyone be interested in giving it a beta test? It lets you recruit anyone with a speech difficulty dependent on their level, and have them follow/hack terminals/pick locks/pants people/heal each other in combat, and recruiting people from some factions grants you companion perks and your companion abilities (like if you recruit a Great Khan you get addiction resistance and can get them to make chems 1/day).

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Sorry for the delay with the CSR beta, I attempted to give it one last check-over but new hard drive issues got in the way. So hopefully this ought to work: download here, install the 'Core' resource and the 'CSR' addon for it. It's set up that way as Core's designed so you can hook other companion mods on and they all share commands.

Then all you need to do's take the Companionable perk to use it. There's no icons for the perks ATM though, I was hoping to ask The3rdType for some when it gets closer to release.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This sounds really clever. How balanced is it--as in, do I have a cap on the number of NPCs I can recruit in a single sitting? Or can I simply go around and, with enough points invested in speech, recruit a small standing army?
You can have (Cha+1)/2 followers at a time, and there's a perk that ups that by 1 each time you take it. How balanced it is is... questionable. Depends on who you recruit, really; it's mostly intended so noncombat characters can recruit bodyguards, and shooty characters can recruit noncombat NPCs ones to pick locks etc. If you're shooty and pick up a bunch of Paladins...

Tagichatn posted:

Apparently the author was tired of the pitiful "nubs" that women had in other body replacement mods or by default so he and a few other dudes literally spent hundreds of hours fixing them. If only there was a way to combine this with the Star Fox mod to create the Best Mod of All Time.
Oh god, I got a bunch of requests to merge the Oblivion version of that with Skeletal Variation so people could change breast size ingame.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Vita posted:

How do I modify a variable using GECK? The sprint mod here http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=34943 says "Setting SprintAPMultGLOB to 0 will let you sprint forever." but although I can find SprintAPMultGLOB in GECK, I can't seem to edit it or find out what I should be editing.
Use "Set SprintAPMultGLOB to 0" in the console. If you want to edit it in the GECK set the mod that adds it as Active, then change the default value of the global.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

procitizen posted:

This seems like a pretty cool mod, but I think I'm missing something important, i.e. how you actually recruit people. Using the companion commands on a person just brings up a menu to attack them and that isn't what I want at all. :saddowns:
You need to take the Companionable perk, and it should appear as a dialogue option (well, you'll get the option to befriend people, then to make them companions from the friend menu). The Command item is just for controlling existing companions.
If you notice any bugs or whatnot, please tell me- it's not exactly had much testing.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

How do I remove Master file dependencies in GECK? I accidentally had Calibr.esm checked when working on my mod and now it's an unwanted master for the weapon pack. I tried removing it in FNVEdit and it didn't work.

Also, if I can get some dedicated time to work on this thing without life pestering me, I'm actually pretty close to finishing this thing for testing.
How didn't it work?
If you've got a series of masters (like Calibr, Master2, Master3) then deleting the first one sometimes causes the records to get bent out of shape as some records are looking for the third master when you only have 2. If you alter your load order to Calibr comes after Master2 and Master3 then save in the GECK it'll rearrange the master list to Master2, Master3, Calibr then you can remove Calibr and nothing gets lost.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
So, ah... ages ago I posted an near-release-but-untested New Vegas version of Companion Share & Recruit in this thread. Can anyone actually remember if it was crap or worked? I ended up taking a slightly unplanned break from modding (when you spend all day wrangling Fortran for your project, the last thing you want to do is code more), but figure I oughtta actually finish it now.

Also, anything new in the past 4 months? [aha]

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

A molerat boobs mod was created, uploaded to Nexus and subsequently removed without an explanation after it reached #2 on the File of the Month and 5 votes behind #1. Beyond that, not really.
Business as usual, then.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

randombattle posted:

I'm thinking about making a mod though I haven't made one before in f3/nv but I want to make a mod so you can use Hokuto Shinken from Fist of the North Star. I think I know how to do it but I'm not sure how easy it is access some of the stuff necessary. The basic stuff like perks unlocking and giving you the different abilities are easy enough but some of the things I'd like to do might be outside the realm of the geck.

I would like to set it up so an unarmed weapon can attack multiple times per button press or be fully automatic like a machine gun but that doesn't seem possible from what I can see. Though I can work around this doing some other things it would work best if I could do that. I'm sure you guys have a lot better idea of how to bend the geck to do what you want and this might be all for nothing but I think it can work.
You'd need to set the weapon as Automatic and make it use an AttackSpin/AttackSpin2 attack animation, then since there's no existing one instead convert one. It's fairly easy to do the basics, but getting things to look right is a bit of a faff.

If you extract the meshes\characters\_male and _1stperson directories from the .BSAs, you'd want to find the Ripper anim 1hmattackSpin.kf and a random hand-to-hand attack (e.g. h2hattackleft_a.kf). Then open them both in NifSkope, find the Text Keys in the tree, and copy the Ripper's text keys to the unarmed attack. Then click on the Controller and change the name to AttackSpin to match the Ripper's, put your new animation in the appropriate places in your NV folders, problem solved.

The downside is of course the two animations are completely different lengths and the various events occur at completely different times- so you need to play around with the timings on the text keys to ensure it doesn't cut out halfway through a punch, and so that the loop isn't too jerky. There's a crude example here: Link.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Bodypart data looks good, although given the damage dropoff when not shooting the torso it'd be nice if they made it slightly easier to cripple limbs as a tradeoff.

---

Got a question for the people who use guns in NV (I generally use energy weapons)- I've got some code that can be used to turn any semi-auto weapon into a burst-fire one, but I can't really figure out how to apply it.

Currently I've got a single craftable burst-fire rifle, but that seems a tad limiting when the functionality could just as easily be applied by having craftable 'Burst' ammo or a 'Burst Mode' slotless apparel item you equip/unequip to toggle it you can get by taking a perk. No idea which one of those methods would be the best fit for how people actually want to play guns characters though, and what the best way is to filter out guns that are inappropriate for burst fire beyond 'No fully automatic weapons' and '2 hand automatic grip type' to filter out the bolt-actions.

Restricting it to a custom ammo of specific calibres (like, say, .556) or a whitelist of Burst-OK weapons runs into issues with mod-added ammo types and weapons, but allowing any ammo type to use it means burst-fire Sniper Rifles. I'm leaning towards any ammo type as it seems better to let people do stupid things than prevent them doing sensible stuff, but then that means using the slightly odd 'Burst Mode' apparel toggle.

E: Of course I could just be overthinking this, but I figure no point doing something if you're not going to do it properly. Up to a point, at least.

Talkie Toaster fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 29, 2011

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

That's basically a whitelist system- any weapon that has burst-fire has to be set beforehand to use autotracer2. If a mod adds a new weapon I've got to either come up with a filter to choose whether to set it to use autotracer2 (and I could just as easily not bother with the projectile change and decide if it's valid or not in the script when the player equips it), or just leave it burstless.
The script just tracks when the player fires, and fires 2 more shots- it can be stuck on an item, or a quest, or a weapon, the only complicated part of it is deciding whether or not the weapon equipped deserves those extra shots.

That said I've just discovered you can get the shots per second of a gun through NVSE, so putting a minimum shots/sec for burst mode to work is probably a good filter.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cardboard Box posted:

I was actually wondering this yesterday. I just got Maria and tried to remove the silencer from my regular 9mm to put it on it, but no dice. :( I figured WMX would've included something like that.
Nah. It needs some functions added by the NVSE guys, but they've been busy.

So... I wasted time I should've spent revising finishing some stuff off.
Meltdown Medley (vid here), changes meltdown's FX depending on your weapon. So laser somebody, they die in a red explosion, flamer them and they explode into burning gibs and so on.
Playing With Firepower (vid here), adds a bunch of weird scripted weapons and perks, including the burst-fire mode I mentioned earlier, a smart missile launcher (with homing missiles etc.), smoke grenades, and lasers/plasma that ricochet off things, and a vaguely Crysis-ish 'Tag people with binoculars' perk.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Brace posted:

And by occasionally NMS you mean..... :nms: :nms: http://www.slofslair.co.uk/index.php?page=artimage&artimage/id=50mtnyx685g :nms: :nms:

Slof posted:

It was a request from a friend some time back
How does that even come up in conversation with your friends? "Oh hi Slof, I was just thinking there weren't enough penises in H.R. Geiger's work".

A shame she wanted to be worshipped as some kind of weird fetish goddess, as IIRC she was one of the like 3 people who knew how to rig new head meshes for Oblivion. She could've done a lot more productive stuff.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

canyon.mid posted:

Welp, I just finished off this project and now I know it's going to be used as a sex toy. Thanks, Nexus. Thexus.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cerebulon posted:

Anybody had this problem before and/or know how to fix it?
Weird. I've managed to crash the GECK with bad models or have them turn out invisible, but never had that error. Try uploading the file somewhere so we can have a poke at it?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
It's using a NiNode, rather than a BSfadeNode (a sort of new version, used in the Fallout nifs), you can swap between the two with rightclick->block->convert. Some types of usage need NiNodes, some need fade nodes, and I can't remember which is which- it's easiest to check by opening a mesh of the type you're trying to make to check. Plus, it's using a TexturingProperty rather than a BSShaderPPLightingProperty for the texture, which suggests the import process did something a little wrong- it must've set it up as a Morrowind .nif or something. And there's a bunch of loose properties, but I don't think they impact anything.

You'd probably be better off taking the .obj, importing it into a 3d package like Blender that has Nif export scripts, and exporting it as a .nif from there as they have game setup options.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Weird. I gave it a shot and the fixed version's here.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cerebulon posted:

Above is the fixed original, below is the one I've been trying to fix manually. The difference seems to be the values in the fixed one are marked with a 'txt' and come up with actual dialogues when double clicked. The ones in the new file just change to a text box where you can jam in any old crap.
Particularly the fact that the functional file's values have indexes.
Yeah, that sounds like a version mismatch- the different nif file versions work slightly differently, one of the differences is which fields just store text on them, and which use a string map. Dunno if Nifskope is smart enough to figure it out, but perhaps if you try importing the .object into an existing Fallout New Vegas static, then delete the unwanted mesh, it'll put it in as the correct nif version?
Fake Edit: Welp took too long replying, Naky's fixing it. At least this is something to try if you need to do it in future.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cerebulon posted:

The mesh goes vaguely the colour of the texture selected (Because the texture isn't made for the mesh at all and is stretched to hell) but the exported nif is still pure white untextured.
It doesn't have the materials set up properly, I think. You've got to set it up to use a UV-mapped texture. There's a rough guide below:

I forgot to point out you need to select tex->new texture before step 3, set texture type to image. Also, the texture you pick in step 4 can be pretty much anything (I just used a random picture I had lying around); it doesn't matter if it's not a valid image type, the mesh will export with the texture bits correctly (as long as you've UV-mapped it) and you can just reselect a texture in nifskope.

I have no idea how that'll interact with the texture painting and UV mapping you've already done, whether or not you can just export the texture or what, as the most complex thing I've worked on that wasn't already textured is a simple cylinder.

harrygomm posted:

Fake Edit: I've managed to change the FO3 script to the FNV one fine, but I'm not 100% sure the implementation is correct. The original tied to a copy of the starter outfit that was invisible and tracke dwhen it changed cells, incremented a value, then when a couple other conditions were met, ran PCB. The new version obviously runs every 10 minutes. So I'm wondering also if it is still necessary to tie the script to an invisible quest or if the script can be initialized in some other manner. The GECK tutorial on scripting was a bit barebones and I've not been able to find a good resource to consult on the matter elsewhere.
Scripts need to be attached to something to run, and an invisible quest is generally the most useful thing. Don't quite get what you mean by every 10 minutes, though?
You should be able to open a .esm/.esp file using the TESSnip feature of Fallout Mod Manager.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cerebulon posted:

While the exterior lighting in the GECK isn't exactly renouned for its accuracy, something's wrong here.
What stupid thing am I forgetting this time?
Could be the alpha channel of the normal map texture, which is I believe the specular map. Try significantly darkening it.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

In my hunt for this, I came across a motherlode of awesome meshes + textures. So I kind of hate you right now since I feel like they should be added now :sigh:

So yeah, I'll probably add it and the others I like. As for the SA80, we'll see.
You know where to find modern models, right? You know anywhere that might have a riot shield? Wanted to try scripting some stuff for one, but there's no models up on any the Nexuses (Nexii?).

Arenovalis posted:

Now that's going the extra mile.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

I found one, but the conversion process killed half the polygons. I'm currently modeling a replacement mesh to use its texture though. How do you want it when I'm done?
Ah, thanks. Just a nif & texture'd be great, I've got a few different ideas to try out, so I'll be playing around with the rigging.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21453599/shield.7z

Just a rough mesh/texture for you to work with. If you need the handles for the shield adjusted, send me back a nif with the arm/hand where you would put it on the mesh and I'll adjust it. I made the opening a little wide too so you would have room to explore firing a sidearm through it or something.

late edit: I know you're more of a legit modder than I care to be TT, so if you end up releasing it you can credit me for the mesh if you want to (I don't care) but note that I think the texture is Valve's? But if it's not, credit some dude named _Glue. I got it off FPSBanana either way.
Thanks, looks great.
I don't think valve textures technically fly, so I'll just attribute you and call it a day. No point being more 'legit' than is entirely necessary.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Brace posted:

What could possibly cause this issue? Whenever I talk to an NPC, their lips move, the dialogue pops up... but theres no voice acting. I can't hear it, my Voice is max, my sound is max, I can hear music/passing by comments, but not conversation dialogue.

This is on an existing New Vegas game, and on a fresh install of FO3...
Could be a codec thing? FO/NV have issues with some audio filters/codecs from what I remember.

Fledgling Gulps posted:

I got really into modding in FO3 but I'm not sure I can be arsed to for NV. Is modding still as big a pain as ever?
Doing some things is less of a pain, but they've added a bunch more things that are also a pain. So... pretty much the same.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

SheepNameKiller posted:

It sounds like you're following the proper process to be honest. If the formID of the item is 0A00193C in FNVEdit then you type player.additem 0A00193C 1 in the console in game. There's no need to increment numbers yourself if you're using FNVEdit because it displays the proper syntax for you.

This is an absolute longshot but are you possibly using a child ESP for a master file that you have deactivated but still sitting in your Data folder? I'm pretty sure that NV itself will activate the master file when it launches (therefore cycling all of the item commands forward) whereas FNVEdit will not.
Yeah, loose masters and preorder packs seem to crop up all too often. If something doesn't work I generally just increment the mod ID by 1 and see if it works, then decrement it by 1 and try again. If it's not within +- 2 or 3 then something's gone properly wrong.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

The Lone Badger posted:

Help me with the GECK, I'm being an idiot.

I'm trying to replace the hunting rifle in-game with the one from the old Book of Earache. I've extracted the models from the BSA and made an ESP that sets the weapon to use them. But it's untextured. So I look around the BSA some more and there's no textures in there, only models. I freely admit I don't really understand the relationship betweeen NIFs and DDSs, so could someone let me know what obvious thing I'm overlooking?

Edit: Oops, seperate BSA and stupid naming.
Edit2: Damnit, this is a lot harder than I thought. I'm going to give up.
The nifs have path to a texture in them (e.g. Textures\Mod A\Something.dds). If it's untextured then you're probably not loading the .BSA the textures are in- it needs to have the same name as an active mod to load.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Safety Hammer posted:

OK, I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the health of the monster mod monsters, it seems to keep making duplicate entries whenever I save it. I'm stumped, never used GECK for anything but changing calibers around.
If it's not a .esm, you have to set it as the Active file to change it.

On the topic of Nexus being terrible, the 'welcome' thread for the Modders Only forum has about 5 sides of A4 paper worth of some guy rambling about how the minimum download count should be 5x higher to prevent the riff-raff getting in, in which he completely manages to ignore the fact that there's wildly different numbers of people actually downloading for each game, and the download rate also varies greatly- just after Oblivion release you could get 1000 downloads on anything, whereas that's going to take some effort 7 months after NV's release.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Syrant posted:

Edit: I must be missing something about the New Vegas GECK, doesn't seem to have any sort of installer.
Isn't one, just drop it in your FNV folder. You're probably going to want to get GECK: Power Up off Nexus (or the fork that's been updated for 1.3 and NVSE to run it with), as it doesn't display any error messages otherwise, which is a bitch.

A note though, GECK:PU causes crashes if you try and view cells. So remove it if you're going to drop anything in world later.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Cerebulon posted:

I'm back with more mesh buggery.

I would imagine this has something to do with the fact that the game slices off a chunk of the left sleeve to allow for the pipboy on the player, but can't imagine why it's taking the power armour body (The section which is 'new' to the armour) along with it.
Check the block names, the main body might be called something like PipboyOn or another 'special' name. Altering it to 'Body' might fix it.
Also the BoS badge is part of the armour addons list that armour is using- they list the gloves, backpack and any other slotless addons.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

You ever make anything with that riot shield?
Yeah, I'm currently trying to pin down a weird animation bug- since when it's on the hip it clips horribly (as it's set up as a weapon), I've got it using the Plasma Pistol visibility toggle on draw that it uses for the electrical arcs. That causes sporadic crashes, though, if the shield is equipped whilst the player is in a 'drawn' stance, so I'm attempting to pin down quite why it happens.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Naky posted:

Hmmm. Are you setting it as a melee weapon, a one handed projectile, or two handed projectile? If you have it set up as a weapon, it would probably make more sense to set it up as a two handed rifle so it equips on your back. Then you could have the left hand holding the shield while the right is gripping a pistol kind of deal? I'm talkin' out my rear end here so I don't know if what I say is possible.
Currently it's a 1hpistol type, although setting it to 2h does sound like a good idea. I'd like to actually figure out which of the properties flags is causing the problem though, but as I'm modding small things during breaks in revision it seems like too much effort for the moment.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Trippy. Check the flags on the BSShaderLightingProperty blocks, make sure the new ones are the same as the original model ones. The exporters don't always set them appropriately.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
It's not really that hard to chop armour into bits with Blender, but yeah, splitting it up to be actual separate trousers and shirts is a bit hard. The easy way to do it would be to import another armour into Blender and combine the two.
1: Select bits in object mode and either delete wholesale or go into edit mode, control-drag to area select parts, hit delete.
2: Select the skeleton, import->nif->click parent to selected.
3: Repeat the step 1 for new bits. Some fiddling may be required, but just selecting a few things and playing with the movement arrows and scaling will probably be good enough.
4: Export using Fallout 3, Clothing, Cloth settings.
5: Tadaa. Ish.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
So I wasted half a day making A Load of Balls for some guy on the Bethsoft forums.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Police Automaton posted:

Actually you kinda can attach an OnDeath to every enemy rather easily, by running an actor effect on them. Scripted base effects run with scope on the actor so they can have an "OnDeath" block as long as they are running, this also doesn't override an already present OnDeath block, they get executed both. There are quite a few ways to attach actor effects on targets or on people in a certain way from here on. Please keep in mind that this can probably eat quite a bit of system performance if done wrong though.
Woah, really? I didn't think that worked. Time to test that with OnHit as well.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Hm, I can't get OnHit to work but I wonder if it's down to the script 'type'. Perhaps setting it as an Effect type, assigning it to a base effect, then changing it to an Object script would work.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

The Lone Badger posted:

This is getting out of hand. Nearly half the time when I go to check in on / redownload a mod it has silently vanished, with the Nexus search refusing to admit that it has ever existed.
This is (part) of why I don't post on Nexus and generally ignore comment threads there- it's simply not worth risking your account.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Something which is a bit retarded when your previous strikes could have been in 2005 and 2008. The moderation policy is clearly designed for dealing with transient downloaders, and just doesn't work for anyone who uses the site for any length of time.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

dog kisser posted:

So this is really awkward to ask, but I don't really know a better way - does anyone know how to script conversations with NPCs/would said person like to help me? I'm the dude who made the Coyote Reflex armor a while back and I want to give it one final update before I finish it off for good. I have a fairly decent idea what I want to do with it, I just lack the skills (and, frankly) time to learn how to use the dialogue system. It's not a complicated task, I just have no idea where to start. Any takers?
I've got a fair bit of experience playing with dialogue, so I'm happy to help. Where're you running into problems?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Mr. Crow posted:

The short version from memory is NPCs need to "have" a topic in order to show it. What this means in practice IIRC you basically add all the topics you've made to the "Add Topic" list (or something similar) of the NPC's GREETING then what you want for him to actually display in the "Choices Topic". The "Top Level" checkbox has some weird behavior but one of the things it does is cause a certain topic to always show up on any level of the dialogue tree. Or that was a bug I don't remember, but you shouldn't need to mess with it I don't think.

And similarly to go from there you would add various topics to the choices to create the dialogue tree.
I've not hit any problems with Top Level?

Basically just make a quest for the dialogue, conditionalise it on GetIsID YourNPC (so the dialogue only shows on your NPC), then start adding topics- a root and two branches. The 'root' should have Top Level flagged so it shows up by default. Create a new info, then write whatever, then in the Choices box for that info select your two branches. Then you can make infos for those branches that further branch, you can have them link back to earlier branches, whatever. If you want to add a new top level topic later, you can use the AddTopic box to do it.

When the player visits a topic the game goes down the list of infos in that topic from first to last and displays the first one to meet all the conditions- so if your topic is called "Here's 10 Stimpacks", you could have the first info be conditionalised on GetItemCount Stimpack < 10, have it be "Not enough!", then have the next info be conditionless- as if it fails the first check (i.e. the player has >9 stims) it'll automatically go to the second one.

N.b. though, conditions run on the speaking actor by default, so to change them to run on the PC you need to alter them from Run on Subject (i.e. speaker) to Run on Target (i.e. person being spoken to).