Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Not bad, I'm not a big fan of the syringe-looking plasma weaponry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

No auto aim for New Vegas. This is an important one to get and should be in the OP. Apparently this one sets autoaim variables to trivially small numbers, whereas the old FO3 one set them to basically negative numbers. That's probably just extra info nobody needs to know.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Brace posted:

What'd I do to my game :smith:, whenever I try to launch the game it just keeps popping up what looks like a CMD screen for a half a second over and over and over again

Sounds like an NVSE issue, are you using an old version made pre-patch?

As for new mods, Covered Face For Less Reputation looks interesting. Anytime you have an outfit/mask/helmet that shrouds your appearance, any modifcation to your standings is reduced. The theory is that nobody knows for sure if it was really you behind that gas mask or power helmet. I'm not sure the full list of helmets/masks it affects but the idea sounds good, without the need to modify any base items either.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Paramour posted:

So I've gone and modded up like crazy, and it ran fine for awhile. But now I seem to be getting CTDs whenever I fast travel/quicksave, which is pretty annoying. It doesn't seem to be one mod though - I've tested each and every single mod, and all of them have to be removed for it to not CTD. Does anyone have an idea on what could it be?

Here's some voodoo from FO3 that sometimes helps:

Load your quicksave. Save it for real, reload that. Put down a stack of land mines, and blow yourself up with them such that a limb detaches. Once you're back together, wait three full days. Save, load again, and maybe you're out of the woods.

Now and then you get a bad item or a bad spawn somewhere, and waiting three (or four for good measure or if a mod fiddled with poo poo) can help correct that. I had a crash from a bad Talon Company spawn a couple times in FO3, for example, and this fixed it. As for exploding yourself to remove a limb and proceeding from there, I have no idea how that helps but some people swore you had to do it that way although sometimes simply dying worked for me.

If you need to you can use a console command to dump an inventory listing (or at least your important stuff) so that you can re-add those baseIDs to yourself if you got something fancy that you don't want to lose in a roll-back. Give everything special to an NPC, strip them of everything else, and then list their inventory; I think otherwise your list is polluted with all of your keys.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Schubalts posted:

I quick save constantly and haven't corrupted a save yet. :haw:

Actually I quick save all the damned time and only once had a problem in FO3 where I was stuck in the Washington Monument and had to do the "destroy yourself with frag mines/save/reload/wait" voodoo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Dickeye posted:

Anybody who doesn't tag at least one weapon skill deserves those penalties, btw.

This. It is an RPG after all. I've used a bullet-time mod and all that, and play it fast and loose like an FPS sometimes, but it's still an RPG.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Demerzel posted:

By the way, how do you recover from a bad loading screen? I cannot seem to do anything but hard power down the system, with black screen I can put the computer in standby and come back and alt-tab to task manager but loading screens are doom.

Kill the process

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Demerzel posted:

Oh, I thought you were trying to actually be helpful. haha how i use compewturr me dum just make 6 figures doing database work/development with 4 different languages.

Failing up, I see! If simply leaving task manager open and ready to go is too passé, or you feel the suggestion is too demeaning for your professional sensibilities, here's a non-spoiler walkthrough with hints.

1. Open task manager. If you have used a computer in the past decade or two you should have experience here. Hint: Ctrl-alt-del is a good start
2. Once you have it, put your education and experience to work! Select the "processes" tab. Hint: Tab and Shift Tab cycle through contextual "hot spots." Left and right is often used to then select options.
3. Select the "falloutnv" process. Hint: typing an entry into a selection area generally begins partial matches, so typing "SA" into a filename listing will jump to the first file that begins with "SA" if there is one
4. Use "end process" next, it's pretty straightforward. Hint: "Alt" is used in conjunction with accelerator keys to skip through lengthy menu chains; a modern Windows installation often underlines the letter you need
5. You have to pass the dreaded confirmation dialog. This can be tricky if you upgraded from a decade old Windows XP installation due to a slight UI change! Hint: Windows 7 removes the yes/no accelerator keys from the "end process" confirmation dialog! However, "Spacebar" or "Enter" are akin to pushing a button. Think hard about the default button selection!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Demerzel posted:

Well I guess I'll try to ask one more time.

Ctrl-shift-escape works just fine too, and I do leave it open. If it's a black screen crash on full screen it wont show the task switch or show anything but the full screen. Windows-D, alt-tab, ctrl-shift-esc, Windows key do nothing however sometimes if I pre-order processes by memory usage and I can at least see the default cursor where taskmgr is on the window I can blindly press up and alt-e, space and pray it's FalloutNV.exe.

If I put the laptop into standby and come back, it will bring up the taskbar and then allow me to alt-tab to task manager.

But if it's a loading screen crash then there is no solution whatsoever, standby/come back trick doesn't work and it stays fullscreen with no ability to shift out.

If you would like to help that would be great. If you would like to spit out $8/hr tech support lines that's fine too, I am definitely enjoying your wacky riffs. Hint: use spoilers and "Hint:" for extra laughs.

Did you at least try what I said at least in the order I said it? It's not that terrifying. That's how I recover from black screen crashes that refuse to grant focus to anything else and ignore most other input. The engine crashes, and if you are full screen, this kind of poo poo just sorta happens. The game is fun enough and the process simple enough that I've just written it off as part of the experience.

Once you have Task Manager, in order:
Shift-Tab
Left
Left
Left
Right
Tab
Fallout
Alt-E
Spacebar

The l/l/l/r is only because I've seen Task Manager arbitrarily open to different pages on different machine configurations. It's optional but better than getting lost. By the way, I liked your tip about spoilers, and you seem to have taken it to heart; but how did you get it to automatically show up for every post you make like that?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Co-sine posted:

IF I ever got around to making a mod, it would totally be a big-game hunting one. New weapons, monsters etc. Kind of like the New vegas bounties, but with wasteland monsters.

Monster Hunter: New Vegas.

I would Endorse the gently caress out of that mod. Somebody should make this, if I didn't have too many other mods I'm working on I would be down for this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Brace posted:

Wait, is there seriously no way to update a mod without re-downloading it? :smith:

Up to the author. Many, many mods I've used have had options similar to "version x to y update ESM ONLY" and "version x main" and "version x.z hotfix if you have this one issue" on their downloads pages.

The larger mods generally break things up into assets, asset updates, the ESPs, and ESP updates; you only need to grab updates as they come, but you still need to actually click to download the mod, yes. Nexus actually has a "last 10 files you downloaded" history buried somewhere, which can help when you check for updates.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Vita posted:

I've played through the game about 5 times with strictly RPG mods, what are some good ones to make it more FPS-like? I absolutely loved World of Pain's "never stop shooting" moments, and I already have the no-auto-aim mod.

I'm not a huge fan of bullet time in games, but there are NV mods to convert action points into bullet time duration. A few come with perk adjustments that allow you to apply your VATS bonuses either while free aiming, or while in bullet time. For example, the headshot bonus might get converted into a critical hit bonus or something.

I generally only use VATS while trying to figure out what to do tactically, aim grenades, or go for stealth attack lineups... so being able to put those AP into dodging rockets is nice! It's great for when you zone into an area with like ten guys ready to attack you, and you can gain a little edge instead of being entirely surprised.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Zeris posted:

My screen blacks out, then FONV jumps into windowed mode (still taking up the whole screen) and becomes fully white over the course of a second or two.

Sounds like your Windows (Vista/7?) has decided the game's unresponsive.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Are you an African-American Albino?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Holy poo poo. I need this immediately. I just beat my first playthrough but missed a lot of stuff. I'd like to play wasteland conductor, no joke, and was hoping all throughout the game that you'd eventually see a working train.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I kinda don't want to see people latch onto the Jackals and make them super "fleshed out", claiming a variety of spread out locations, when they're supposed to be just another low-key gang that's been mostly cleared up. I'd rather see some other little gang who's maybe not as important as they think they are, you know?

Meeting some other group who cracked open some crazy/entrepreneurial guy's personal fallout shelter storage recently, and maybe don't realize their supplies are dwindling, would be more interesting. Perhaps they grew too fast, and have to turn to agressive salvaging (raiding) to try to sustain themselves and ~quests go here~

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm not a gun nut, but a P90 was my go-to gun during my last Fallout 3 run. It's disappointing to see that done to the little guy :(

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Is there any way to force refeshing of spawn points and everything? Waiting three or four days is a little tricky in hardcore mode, unless I'm missing something. It would be nice to just have a console command or batch to run.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Co-sine posted:

I thought it would be nice to browse the Nexus, try out a random mod and review it. Who knows, maybe one or two hidden gems could be found in this way

Reactive People Ultimatum

:words:

I've been watching this Reative People stuff, some is a little bit too much for me but the idea is solid and I like the idea of more interesting sneaking, so that if you step into a pile of plates or knock some cans/bottles off a shelf while creeping the enemy hears you.

The stock game gives you a stun-locking Ranger Knockdown attack though, don't forget that. It's very handy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

-Troika- posted:

I never sell ammo, but that's because I like slowly filling the shelves in my underground hideout with ammo as the game progresses :shobon:

Aside from (heavy) rockets, I never find it sensible/economical to sell ammunition. I'd rather break it down.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The geckos are funnier than the molerats. Is it possible to have two mods of the month, or do they take that poo poo super-serious to the point of bans?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm not sure I understand the problem with adding the vertibirds; can't your script spawn one, then have it execute a teleport when poked?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

What script? Pretty much anything that affects both areas from New Vegas and DC has to be done through FNVEdit, because you can't load both Master files in the GECK.

I must be missing something critical here, and if I'm not, making this project will be utterly worthless. Will poo poo like 'companion radios' no longer work if you move from one region to another? Will perks be ignored for that matter? Weather overhauls, mod configuration menus, all that must go out the window too then.

If literally everything breaks down during a transition I don't see much point beyond walking around and seeing the old ground before getting bored and getting on with the game :(

\/\/\/ It sounds like an awesome idea, but with the level of problems it sounds like there are going to be, it makes me concerned. I don't care about having all the old quests intact at all, but being unable to plop down new things is going to be a problem so I hope I misunderstood that part.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 12, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The_White_Crane posted:

It's far and away from "literally everything breaking down"; all the old areas seem to be intact, the majority of quests I've tried work fine (though I've not done anything with the main quest yet).

Alright, I just got carried away for nothing when I saw what you said about the editing troubles, because honestly it's a fantastic concept. Are all the old cell IDs still intact from FO3?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Well FO3 had a RobCo factory right there, along with being an important strategic and well-developed region. The number and distribution seem good in NV, but you definitely run into fewer overall I'd say.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

What are your LOD settings like?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Blame the Nexus moderators :rolleyes:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Burns posted:

Yeah, something like that. Except not only visual effect but statistical effect - in that instance a few more points of DT.

Or lets say you got your basic Power Armor. Enhance DT with more plating(at expense of being a little slower), enhance speed with new hydraulics (or something), Optics enhancements for helmets?, Improved RAD resistence?, and.. my favourite.. a Y-rack attachment (stealing this poo poo from Starship Troopers book) to allow greater carrying capacity (more heavy ammo?).

If the existing 'complete' armors were modded to support it (ie some of the complete outfits also blanked out your extra slots so you can't double your armor), that'd be awesome.

I'd like the idea of having piecemeal leather armor, or your own fashioned-together metal armor. Get down to a workbench, craft some tin cans and scrap metal. Slide those onto your arms, +1 DR!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Naky posted:

It's a neat idea and one I'd help out with on a graphical side but it would require scripting to mimic the weapon mod system.

Pretty much how the weapon mod system was scripted for FO3.

Haha, this is straight up your alley, isn't it? You could probably heavily rely on the workbench system and recipes if you're clever.

So you shove some animal pelts together to get the first part. Say, Gecko Hide. Maybe force people to refine the components into Tanned Gecko Hides first. Combine a few to get Gecko Shirt or something; if you want to be fancy, then you need 4 Tanned Golden Gecko Hide to upgrade to a Golden Gecko Shirt and then add 6 scrap metal to get a Reinforced Gecko Shirt.

Aren't there all sorts of leftover RPGesque equipment slots in the engine? Shoes, pants, shirt, glasses/mask, helmet. Together, the full set would add up to the total DT. It could actually turn out a bit Monster Hunter-ish, which is not a bad thing. That alone would probably be good for mod of the month.

Now, having some sort of "set bonus" for the Gecko Hat, Gecko Shirt, Gecko Pants, and Gecko Shoes would need some scripting on probably the shirt part. Check for having all the items equipped, and add a specific perk. That part would require somebody who knows what they're really doing. I'd volunteer to figure that out but I've got a completely other game I need to be working on until the end of the month.

A final version would alo need some way to prevent people from just stuffing whatever stock armor they have full of the add-ons though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I pretty much want this to happen because it would be a ton of fun. Naky can apparently bang out tons of remixed stuff far too fast, so I'd spend a lot of time playing catch up on the scripting side (although it doesn't sound that hard for what we need to do here). I've got a pile of things to do the next week and a half for some other poo poo, but after that I'd be down for learning and helping on this.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

This is the best thing and needs to be done immediately.

Gecko Roleplay Multipack. Can't leave those glorious dongs on their own, and the animu outfits won't well it by themselves.

It might be prudent to put "Inspired by <link to strapons> and <link to slofs boners>" to hammer home the point.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Coolio posted:

It's pretty forced. I don't get why I'm supposed to care about this epic battle that's supposed to happen between me and some dude I know nothing about.

A lot of the sites, places, and events for New Vegas and the upcoming DLC ties back to the original Fallout 3 design. A lot of poo poo is also foreshadowed or alluded to from the start in New Vegas.

These are Good Things, and this is not the proper game to air your DLC grievances towards.

Naky posted:

I'm not texturing it OR putting any more time than I already have into this. :colbert:

CHALLENGE COMPLETED.

:allears: You could always release it as a Modder Resource.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I'm a big fan of bullet time, but switch to VATS for my cinematic close quarters takedown needs, when I need to pump things full of special ammo, or go for precision cripples.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

mudcrabs posted:

I would volunteer to donate millions of dollars to cure cancer, but alas, I do not own millions of dollars, let alone a job! Aha!

You can't watch three YouTube videos and suddenly have a million dollars*, but that very same trick actually works for learning 3D modeling!

*if you find some that work link us

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What makes the guns look all weird when you import them?

Terrible model conversion by the original person that ripped it. It's not atypical to see randomly inverted meshes which need to be fixed by hand. Most people who are ripping from another game to shove it into FO3/New Vegas/Oblivion don't care enough to fix it. How bad it is and how often depends how it was taken; if you can backload things smoothly into 3DS Max and export them in a format friendly to the game you want to put them in, it's less likely down to zero errors in some circumstances. If you rip it out of your 3D buffers while the original game is rendering, it's going to happen a lot.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing I find kind of funny is the prevalence of WW2 guns in the Fallout games (and mods). I mean, the war is supposed to happen in what, 2067 or something? It's not as if we're swimming in M1 Garands NOW, let alone 50 years in the future, where they'd only still be around as antique pieces.

Well a lot of near-future media has weaponry that looks mysteriously like M16s, AK47s, P90s, and M60s. I figure it's a continuation of that kind of trend. This is the past's view of the future, instead of the present's view of the future. Those older styled guns fit in well alongside the "Danger Will Robinson!" robot aesthetic, and stylishly curved automobiles. For example I was stoked at the look of the Laser RCW.

I don't like a lot of added weapons that look more like Mass Effect.

\/\/\/ I know that but I loves me a P90 so I was on the fence about even mentioning it

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 5, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

I believe the Black Mountain facility also had GPS jamming equipment or something. So many missiles were unable to target the city (and had a lot of empty land to hit), were screwed out of arming or hacked, or simply shot down.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Pwnstar posted:

I dont give a gently caress, the Legion carrying around car/fridge doors to block bullets and poo poo would own bones.

Right. Cut-to-size fridge/car doors, scavenged power armor pieces, or the chestplate of a Securitron/Protectron with a bull painted on it, it doesn't have to just be wood. The Legion scavenge for their raw materials just as well as everybody else, as much as they customize and work the final products. Maybe that can be part of the crazy DIY armor mod we thought up a few pages back if it ever happens.

\/\/\/ My other pet project is going live on ModDB/IndieDB's Steam knockoff as soon as the administration verifies it's not a virus, so I will have some guilt free time to learn a brand new backwards ancient engine.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 7, 2011

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hey, welcome to the thread, Crawlius. I like your work.

Like Woebin said, it came and went...but not before getting those idiots at the F3Underground all asshurt over nothing.

They're somehow worse than the Nexus (all the arrogance perhaps), and I'm not a grammar/spelling Nazi but their mistakes make it so they're actually saying different things than they presumably mean to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I found this on the nexus. I thought I'd share it with you. It'd make a good wallpaper, no doubt.

Nexus.jpg? Actually, the armor/backpack on the right looks like some sort of neat exoskeleton thing. Any idea what it is?