Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

FingersMaloy posted:

I picked up a pretty rad book from my local book store, Free Range Chciken Gardens: http://tinyurl.com/m752dpa

My wife and I don't have a backyard yet but we have discussed raising animals when we eventually buy a house. I've lurked the beekeeping thread for a couple of years now but I'm excited to learn about raising chickens.

Chickens do have some downsides which are not immediately obvious to people under the spell of urban farming/homesteading. They're only going to lay eggs up to about 3 years old and then it slows down. You either kill them and eat them or keep feeding them and getting no eggs which costs a lot, even if you manage to grow a lot of stuff for them to eat. You can read a more brutal argument about it here: http://www.nwedible.com/2013/05/you-absolutely-should-not-get-backyard-chickens.html

I'm not saying don't do it, but just know what you're getting into first.

I've been lusting after a few acres out in the country for a while but I just can't afford it right now. I'm going to go full out permaculture on my city lot next year, starting with a fence to keep the drat deer out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Oh cool she recommends this book. I have friends and family that raise chickens in a rural area so I know a bit about it but they have a ton of room to hang out in. I've just never seen a few birds in a contained setting. And I have no problem turning an unproductive bird into stew and freezing it. Unfrozen chicken stew is the best. :chef:

That article reminds of my uncle with his cows. His herd is growing but he doesn't have the heart to butcher them.

Edit: My neighbors down the street have some chickens. I can hear their rooster in the summer time. I'll have to check out their setup.

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 15, 2013

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

FingersMaloy posted:

Oh cool she recommends this book. I have friends and family that raise chickens in a rural area so I know a bit about it but they have a ton of room to hang out in. I've just never seen a few birds in a contained setting. And I have no problem turning an unproductive bird into stew and freezing it. Unfrozen chicken stew is the best. :chef:

That article reminds of my uncle with his cows. His herd is growing but he doesn't have the heart to butcher them.

Edit: My neighbors down the street have some chickens. I can hear their rooster in the summer time. I'll have to check out their setup.

Can't he have them picked up by an abattoir? Does he have to slaughter them himself? I wholeheartedly recognize that I'm very peevish about dressing birds and game.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Most of them have names, I think that's the problem. He always sells his new bulls to farmers that have the same breed and his Amish neighbors have come and purchased some for meat. I don't know if he's eaten any of his own beef. His fields sat fallow for decades so he could get an organic certification and fetch a premium if he chose. He raises Highlanders. They're pretty wild looking but really docile:

(not his cows)

Mr Rhodes
Jan 30, 2014

FingersMaloy posted:

I picked up a pretty rad book from my local book store, Free Range Chicken Gardens: http://tinyurl.com/m752dpa

My wife and I don't have a backyard yet but we have discussed raising animals when we eventually buy a house. I've lurked the beekeeping thread for a couple of years now but I'm excited to learn about raising chickens.

I currently keep chickens in my small backyard. They take no more work then any other small animal, maybe even less. They just require food and water and a place to get inside out of the elements. There are a ton of books on keeping them that will show you a number of different ways to house them. I have a small shed in my yard that I retrofitted to be a chicken coop, It keeps their food, water, nesting boxes and roost out of the elements and gives them a place to return to each night. I would suggest that you find a breed that is suitable to the temperatures where you live. I keep Buckeye chickens which are extremely hardy. I has been -15 degrees here recently and as long as they are dry and out of the wind they thrive with no problems. I keep laying hens for 2 years and slaughter them before the second winter when the slow production considerably. The "Spent Hens" make some of the best chicken soup you will ever have but I wouldn't want to just toss one on the grill. Tough old birds

MrRhodes

Mr Rhodes fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 31, 2014

copen
Feb 2, 2003
make coq au vin, the store bought chickens these days are no good for it. I've got space for chickens but no real fences. A lot of coyotes and free roaming dogs around here too. It would be so cool to have fresh eggs and chickens to eat that I know where treated humanely.

Mr Rhodes
Jan 30, 2014

copen posted:

make coq au vin, the store bought chickens these days are no good for it. I've got space for chickens but no real fences. A lot of coyotes and free roaming dogs around here too. It would be so cool to have fresh eggs and chickens to eat that I know where treated humanely.

If coyotes and dogs are the issue then a "chicken tractor" is your best bet. I made a long narrow tunnel out of 1" pvc with 2x4" wire hardware cloth zip tied over it. Each segment was 5' long and just under 4' wide. I could drag the sections around the yard and secure them together. I bent several pieces of rebar into "u" shapes and would step or hammer them into the ground over the pvc to pin it to the ground. They would need some sort of coop to roost in and to get out of any rain, but that would also be simple enough to make cheaply. This whole setup could be made for a couple hundred bucks and would last a long time. You would need to move it every few days depending on how many chickens you had, my 6 chickens could completely denude a 25x4' area in 10 days, so I moved mine back and forth across the yard each time the ground starting showing wear. The grass will grow back very quickly and be the greenest you've ever seen. Outside of eggs and meat, chickens can be endlessly entertaining. They are not overly intelligent but full of individual personalities which can make for quite a few laughs.

MrRhodes

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Being a new Ohioan, I've been looking into Buckeyes as well. I really wish I could keep a rooster in the city. We have some free roaming raccoons and I would like a heavier, more aggressive bird to fight them off. I also have plans for a nice looking, raised coop. Now I just need a yard. Thankfully I'm starting a new career that should end a decade of transience and I will probably buy a house within a year.

(also we don't sign our posts here. welcome to the forums!)

Mr Rhodes
Jan 30, 2014

FingersMaloy posted:

(also we don't sign our posts here. welcome to the forums!)

Thanks for the hint.
I wouldn't own a rooster unless I was planning on hatching eggs or had a larger area that I let the bird roam free in. A rooster will do a fair job at keeping hens in a close group instead of spreading out which helps with hawks. Rooster tend to get pretty territorial if there are hens about, not to mention the never ending crowing. I live next to the Cleveland Metroparks and have plenty of raccons , opossum, and skunks around and I haven't had any trouble with them at all, they come in and out of the yard but only at night when the birds are inside. If your roost is fairly high and away from climbing surfaces raccoons wont be able to get them even if you forget to close them up once in a while. Keeping chickens is really simple and worthwhile for just about averyone. IMO

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

FingersMaloy posted:

Being a new Ohioan, I've been looking into Buckeyes as well. I really wish I could keep a rooster in the city. We have some free roaming raccoons and I would like a heavier, more aggressive bird to fight them off. I also have plans for a nice looking, raised coop. Now I just need a yard. Thankfully I'm starting a new career that should end a decade of transience and I will probably buy a house within a year.

Little raised coops are so cute! I hope you find a house where you can have chickens. :3

A note though, I wouldn't count on a rooster to fight off a raccoon. And don't let the chickens free-range in your yard unsupervised. My neighbor up the street lost six or seven chickens to a hawk a few years back. :( Smart predators (read: all of them) will quickly find the weak spots in your defenses. Chicken keeping forums are full of scary stories.

I advise 1/2" hardware cloth around the entire run (assuming you have a run) and over all the coop vents/windows, 1/4" if you have lots of mice or are really paranoid. Not chicken wire; the holes are big enough for most weasel-like pests to climb through, and anything bigger can reach a paw in and hook a chicken and seriously injure it. Dig in and bury the hardware cloth at least 6" (but better if you can spare a foot) out at the bottom of the coop to deter digging predators.

Sorry to be all serious but I hate watching people lose their animals. I too am getting chickens this spring, on a tiny corner lot in the city. I only have room for 3-4 (starting with 3), but I'm super excited. I can't wait to see their little fluffy faces! ^_^

And in gardening news... my local urban farm project is chugging slowly along toward spring planting and I'm ordering my tomato seeds tonight! I have big plans for my garden this year, including some trellising for my melons and an arbor (or at least an attempt at one) for my pole beans and peas. AND I got a new camera, so I can take loads of photos!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Little raised coops are so cute! I hope you find a house where you can have chickens. :3

A note though, I wouldn't count on a rooster to fight off a raccoon. And don't let the chickens free-range in your yard unsupervised. My neighbor up the street lost six or seven chickens to a hawk a few years back. :( Smart predators (read: all of them) will quickly find the weak spots in your defenses. Chicken keeping forums are full of scary stories.

I advise 1/2" hardware cloth around the entire run (assuming you have a run) and over all the coop vents/windows, 1/4" if you have lots of mice or are really paranoid. Not chicken wire; the holes are big enough for most weasel-like pests to climb through, and anything bigger can reach a paw in and hook a chicken and seriously injure it. Dig in and bury the hardware cloth at least 6" (but better if you can spare a foot) out at the bottom of the coop to deter digging predators.

Sorry to be all serious but I hate watching people lose their animals. I too am getting chickens this spring, on a tiny corner lot in the city. I only have room for 3-4 (starting with 3), but I'm super excited. I can't wait to see their little fluffy faces! ^_^

And in gardening news... my local urban farm project is chugging slowly along toward spring planting and I'm ordering my tomato seeds tonight! I have big plans for my garden this year, including some trellising for my melons and an arbor (or at least an attempt at one) for my pole beans and peas. AND I got a new camera, so I can take loads of photos!

I also recommend the Ask Me About Backyard Chickens thread in Pet Island. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 Velvet Sparrow is a font of great information and there are quite a few other goons with chickens who can answer all of your chicken related questions. It's also an amazingly entertaining thread (but depressing at times when bad things befall the chickens).

Faerunner, that sounds like a marvelous plan. You're making me all jealous. I house-sit for a friend with a garden in Pittsburgh, and I help with my parents' garden when I visit them in Central PA, but I can't have a garden where I live. I will be living vicariously through you.

Are you planning to start your seeds inside?

luloo123 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 23, 2014

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

luloo123 posted:

I also recommend the Ask Me About Backyard Chickens thread in Pet Island. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3417601&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 Velvet Sparrow is a font of great information and there are quite a few other goons with chickens who can answer all of your chicken related questions. It's also an amazingly entertaining thread (but depressing at times when bad things befall the chickens).

*bookmarked*

Thanks for linking this thread.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I started 6 cells of peppers in my indoor heating pad / grow light setup and all of them have germinated now after only 1 week. I had 4 cells of bell pepper and 2 cells of lipstick peppers.

I uh, thought they would take longer and am a little worried about how long these will have to sit indoors. I can transfer them to slightly larger pots but will not be able to keep them right on the heating pad as much. My guess is the soil temp will range from 65-75, right now it's sitting pretty even around 75-80F. I haven't even started tomatoes yet as I had read that starting them early and not being able to transfer them to larger pots in a timely fashion is bad for the plants. Is that true?

Anyway, zone 5B boston area, still lots of snow on the ground and below freezing for a while longer. Good to know I can germinate the gently caress out of pepper seeds at least!

Here's the setup so far:

And here's the little guys :3:

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008
Seedlings don't have to stay as warm as germinating seeds, so you're probably safe to remove them from the heating pad now. Once they start to overgrow your growing flats, go ahead and put them into the pots. Peppers are really tolerant to potting and planting. My family has actually taken potted peppers, planted them in a garden for the summer, and then repotted them at the end of the season to extend the growing season. We didn't have a great place to keep them, so they ended up fading after a few months; however, in their native Central America, they actually grow all year round, so if you continue this process and keep them healthy and well lit throughout the winter, you can keep the same plants year after year.

Congratulations on your healthy looking seedlings!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I'm in Michigan, trying to keep my peppers alive through the winter, and it's not going so well. I think even in the house (I'm keep the house temperature between 55 and 60, most of the time) it's too cold for them. I'm hoping that they'll at least hold on through the end of the month, when temps will probably let me set them outside for a couple of hours a day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

luloo123 posted:

Seedlings don't have to stay as warm as germinating seeds, so you're probably safe to remove them from the heating pad now. Once they start to overgrow your growing flats, go ahead and put them into the pots. Peppers are really tolerant to potting and planting.

This is really good to know. Thanks for the advice and compliments!

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

luloo123 posted:

Faerunner, that sounds like a marvelous plan. You're making me all jealous. I house-sit for a friend with a garden in Pittsburgh, and I help with my parents' garden when I visit them in Central PA, but I can't have a garden where I live. I will be living vicariously through you.

Are you planning to start your seeds inside?

I am! I haven't started yet since we have been doing some rearranging in the rooms where I usually do all of my work and I'm also hurrying to get my chicken coop started and be ready for chicks, but tonight or later this week I'll get the soil mix put together for my seed flats, and it's all easy from there! :) Next time you house-sit you'll have to do a drive-by and see my itty bitty garden! It's not exactly the best vicarious living you'll find but it should be pretty!

Breaky, I'm jealous of your success! I have had no luck germinating peppers (Zone 7b but no heating pads, sigh), so I just buy the plants from my local big-box garden center. I figure I'll try to find a heating pad in the future and for now I'm ok with paying a few dollars more for pre-started, healthy plants.

Also I'm about 2/3 of the way through the backyard chickens thread, and loving every page. VS and the others are so helpful! I've bookmarked a bunch of sites they linked and have learned a ton already!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Faerunner posted:

I am! I haven't started yet since we have been doing some rearranging in the rooms where I usually do all of my work and I'm also hurrying to get my chicken coop started and be ready for chicks, but tonight or later this week I'll get the soil mix put together for my seed flats, and it's all easy from there! :) Next time you house-sit you'll have to do a drive-by and see my itty bitty garden! It's not exactly the best vicarious living you'll find but it should be pretty!

Breaky, I'm jealous of your success! I have had no luck germinating peppers (Zone 7b but no heating pads, sigh), so I just buy the plants from my local big-box garden center. I figure I'll try to find a heating pad in the future and for now I'm ok with paying a few dollars more for pre-started, healthy plants.

Also I'm about 2/3 of the way through the backyard chickens thread, and loving every page. VS and the others are so helpful! I've bookmarked a bunch of sites they linked and have learned a ton already!

The backyard chicken thread is one of my favorite threads. I'm happy to spread the love. Wait until you get to Tim's little fluffballs.

If you need help setting up the coop, let me know. Aside from the housesitting thing, I'm in the 'burgh pretty often. I research public markets and have been making the trek to Pittsburgh Public Market pretty regularly to document its move and rebirth (and judging by the stories that I've heard lately, its potential downfall).

If you're planning to start your seeds, along with the heating mat, you might want to invest in a grow lamp (if you don't have one already). When I was living in Pittsburgh, I had a little bit of outside space where I could set up pots, and I started my seeds indoors with a grow lamp and no heating pad. They turned out quite well. The only problem was that they got a little leggy because I set the lamp too high.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Aww, thanks for the offer! If the weather ever gets warm enough that I can get back out to the garage and cut the rest of my 2x4s for framing the drat thing, I'll let you know and you can help me throw it all together. I looked at the long-term forecast and it looks like I missed/wasted the only over-40 days we're going to have until April. :sigh:

I do have a single grow light :) It's on an adjustable chain, too - I learned a few years back about leggy seedlings!

Any suggestions for tomatoes that do well in this area? I have my plans for this year but I want to keep adjusting until I find the ones that do best for me. The last few years I've been using up a seed packet of Big Boy hybrids that I had on hand, plus some Cherokee Purples, but last year they all got late blight and struggled and generally weren't that great, and I was looking for a change anyway. The Big Boys just did not impress in flavor or vigor any of the years I grew them, but the Cherokees were great the first year and not the second.

Anyway, this year I'm trying Amish Paste (starting a few from seed and getting one already started from a friend who had extra), 'Lemon Drop' cherry tomatoes and Black Krim - all ordered from Seed Saver's Exchange as a test run. If the Lemon Drop does well in my topsy-turvy tomato hanger, I'll be super excited. The little yellow fruits look so cute!

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Faerunner posted:

I do have a single grow light :) It's on an adjustable chain, too - I learned a few years back about leggy seedlings!
Leggy? I forgot that my seeds were in the basement in a room with no lights! They hit the humidity dome in a day!

Faerunner posted:

Anyway, this year I'm trying Amish Paste (starting a few from seed and getting one already started from a friend who had extra), 'Lemon Drop' cherry tomatoes and Black Krim - all ordered from Seed Saver's Exchange as a test run.

My wife and I are doing Amish Paste this year, and black cherry tomatoes. Should be interesting. We might also have a yellow. Not sure about that yet. I'm pulling all the starts for tomatoes that I've got already. It's just too early for me to start them.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Aww, thanks for the offer! If the weather ever gets warm enough that I can get back out to the garage and cut the rest of my 2x4s for framing the drat thing, I'll let you know and you can help me throw it all together. I looked at the long-term forecast and it looks like I missed/wasted the only over-40 days we're going to have until April. :sigh:

Any suggestions for tomatoes that do well in this area? I have my plans for this year but I want to keep adjusting until I find the ones that do best for me. The last few years I've been using up a seed packet of Big Boy hybrids that I had on hand, plus some Cherokee Purples, but last year they all got late blight and struggled and generally weren't that great, and I was looking for a change anyway. The Big Boys just did not impress in flavor or vigor any of the years I grew them, but the Cherokees were great the first year and not the second.

Anyway, this year I'm trying Amish Paste (starting a few from seed and getting one already started from a friend who had extra), 'Lemon Drop' cherry tomatoes and Black Krim - all ordered from Seed Saver's Exchange as a test run. If the Lemon Drop does well in my topsy-turvy tomato hanger, I'll be super excited. The little yellow fruits look so cute!

While I absolutely love tomatoes (undying devotion may be a more appropriate phrase), I don't have a lot of knowledge about the different varietals. In my last garden when I lived back home, I grew pretty much just Early Girls and Beefsteaks because they were the few types that we could get. In the last decade, so many other kinds became available, it's just amazing. Unfortunately, while we did have some great tomato gardens growing up, my parents can't grow tomatoes any more because of late blight. Their property is on a retired potato farm, and something about the late blight epidemic of a few years ago created a recurring problem with all of their tomato plants. They tried a variety of organic fungicides (they couldn't do anything non-organic because they also had an apiary) to no avail. They were fine until they got a couple of weeks of terrible rain and then the problem returned. They aren't entirely sure if it's the fact that they're on a retired potato farm, or if the disease is drifting down from the potato farm up the road, but they just can't seem to avoid the blight. It's really sad.

That said, I have heard really great things about Brandywines. I'm surprised that the Cherokees weren't as good the second year. That's the other type that people rave about. I have heard that crushing eggshells and putting them in the holes when you plant the tomatoes really improves the flavor. It also helps to prevent blossom end rot which is caused by a calcium deficiency.

I did housesit for this other family in Columbus who had a bunch of Purple Russians in their yard, and while they were starting to have problems with verticillium wilt and blossom end rot (both of which I warned them about the previous year), the plants were actually fairly healthy and the tomatoes were absolutely delicious. I had to stop myself from eating all of them. The climate here in Columbus isn't too different from Pittsburgh. Although, we don't get as much of the lake effect snow as you do, we tend to be about the same temperature-wise.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, the Cherokee seeds were from Ferry-Morse and a lot of recent reviewers on their Amazon sales page said that the plants were a little off - either the seeds had been cross-pollinated or the strain they were using wasn't that great. I didn't notice as much of a difference as some others did (some people were complaining that the plants didn't even produce Cherokee-looking fruit), the difference between my old seed packet and the newer one was noticeable in the quality of the tomatoes. Maybe I'll try to find another supplr closer to home.

I too have heard good things about Brandywines, so those are on my 'try' list - but I hadn't heard the name Purple Russian before. Thanks for the tip! I'll see if anyone around here grows them and what they think :)

Spanner, my first year of starting seeds that happened in 3 days and then they all damped off. I was so mad! Were those this year's seeds you forgot about? Did you get pictures of their growth spurt? :D

Let me know how your Amish Paste tomatoes do, btw! We can compare! I'm hoping to have mine started in the upcoming week or so. Having seen the weather forecasts I worry about them getting too big before it's warm enough to put them out, but I'm also going stir crazy so I'm praying the temperatures won't follow the forecasts...

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

SpannerX posted:

Leggy? I forgot that my seeds were in the basement in a room with no lights! They hit the humidity dome in a day!

My wife and I are doing Amish Paste this year, and black cherry tomatoes. Should be interesting. We might also have a yellow. Not sure about that yet. I'm pulling all the starts for tomatoes that I've got already. It's just too early for me to start them.

Timers are the best thing ever when you tend to be forgetful. I needed to go out of town for a few days and didn't want to mess up my plants, so my parents got me a cheap timer for the lights as a surprise. I kept using it because it was just wicked convenient. I haven't been using the timer because the lights for my miracle berry plants are coming from two Aerogardens which have built in timers. The only problem I have now is remembering to water everything.

The black cherry tomatoes sound delightful. Plus, there's been a lot of research looking at whether the compounds that make them dark are good for fighting cancer (at this point, it's looking good!). I also like yellow tomatoes because they tend to be less acidic.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
RISE! THREAD! RISE FROM THE ASHES, I COMMAND YOUUUUUU

I have grabbed two trays that hold 50 peat pots apiece. In those there is potting soil. On/in that there are planted the folowing:

thyme
oregano
chives
parsley
cilantro
cherry tomato
celery
fennel
green onion
lettuce
kale

uh probably one or two other things too.

Anyway, I'm in a townhouse, the front door faces east and I have like no southern exposure. The corner of my back deck that gets sun will grow decent tomatoes and herbs. I'm thinking about getting a bunch of five-gallon buckets and loading up that corner with stuff.

Thoughts? My wife wants expensive specialized plastic buckets. I don't know why.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

pr0k posted:

I'm thinking about getting a bunch of five-gallon buckets and loading up that corner with stuff.
I've used the cheapest 50 cent 3 gallon PVC household buckets before and sunlight makes them harden out and makes them brittle after a summer, maybe two max. They don't really look as neat and pots made for plants will probably accomodate drainage holes a bit better.

Then again, at that price... they definitely work. Plants grow in them.

I guess I'm recommending to at least look for the more sturdy ones made from a thicker plastic.

vvvvv Actually, where I live, anything that can help out smoothing over temperature differences is a plus.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

pr0k posted:

RISE! THREAD! RISE FROM THE ASHES, I COMMAND YOUUUUUU

I have grabbed two trays that hold 50 peat pots apiece. In those there is potting soil. On/in that there are planted the folowing:

thyme
oregano
chives
parsley
cilantro
cherry tomato
celery
fennel
green onion
lettuce
kale

uh probably one or two other things too.

Anyway, I'm in a townhouse, the front door faces east and I have like no southern exposure. The corner of my back deck that gets sun will grow decent tomatoes and herbs. I'm thinking about getting a bunch of five-gallon buckets and loading up that corner with stuff.

Thoughts? My wife wants expensive specialized plastic buckets. I don't know why.

Not sure where you're living but if you've got plastic buckets outside right on concrete you might want to consider putting them up on spacers (like a cargo pallet) during the hottest months so your soil temp doesn't go nuts? When I lived in TX I had to do this. The concrete temps would get way up there and cook anything on them that wasn't shaded all day.

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

pr0k posted:

Thoughts?

I don't like peat pots because they decompose slllowww in any soil I've gardened in. They're OK if you cut them away from the transplant's root ball.

The parsley and cilanto rapidly grow a taproot, so they need to be transplanted when they're really young to avoid shock. The fennel also grows a taproot, but is quite a bit more forgiving IME.

I just use the cheapest containers I can find, like discards from landscapers, and never have any problem with the plastic degrading under intense summer sun. The summers here are 100-115 degrees almost every day for 4 months, so I do find it helpful to move my plastic containers to partial sun.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well, I checked back on another thread here, about gardening, and realized that I started my transplants even earlier than I did last year, and I put my tomatoes out about a month too early, so they got frostbit last year. Also, seems I have a fungus gnat infestation from my soil, so... I'm going to start over again at the end of this month, shooting for planting May 24th, which is the traditional date for around here. It'll be better in the long run. What's a few seeds, anyway? :)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
I still haven't started mine despite my best intentions, other than a $1 "grow your own flowers!" forget-me-not kit and a lone Amish Paste tomato someone gave me. It's been so drat cold here I do not regret my late start; my community farm project isn't even starting peas until April 5, which is a good solid 2 weeks later than the recommended pea planting date in our area. I hate winter with the fiery passion of a thousand suns. If only hate could melt snow. We got snow overnight last night. It's 19* tonight. UGHGHGHGH.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
We got around 30 cm of snow last night. This is not good . Luckily I pulled all my tomato plants, 'cause I don't even know if they are going in on May 24 at this rate.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never grown anything before and I live in an apartment but is it possible to grow any herbs indoors, right next to a window (that doesn't get direct sunlight)? Is it not time-intensive? Because the market down the street sells thyme, basil, mint, rosemary, etc, in bulk so when I need a sprig of thyme I can just buy a sprig of thyme. But the idea of growing my own things sounds kinda neat.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never grown anything before and I live in an apartment but is it possible to grow any herbs indoors, right next to a window (that doesn't get direct sunlight)? Is it not time-intensive? Because the market down the street sells thyme, basil, mint, rosemary, etc, in bulk so when I need a sprig of thyme I can just buy a sprig of thyme. But the idea of growing my own things sounds kinda neat.

You can grow herbs indoors with a desk lamp for extra light pretty easily.

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you have the extra cash (and space), I highly recommend Aerogardens. They set up in minutes, and aside from filling the water and adding nutrients, there's very little time invested.

I've actually been using the light from mine to grow miracle berry plants, but the two year old trees are starting to get a little big, so I've just invested a few bucks into a LED grow lamp. They've really come down in price. I got mine for about $16. I'll let you know how it goes.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Alright it's mid-April, let's revive this thread.

I put my seed order for beans, tomatoes, dill, and a couple varieties of lettuce. I tried getting heirloom varieties because isn't that what us city kids do? Best names on my bill: Mortgage Lifter Tomato and Greasy Grits Beans. I plan on doing several large pots on my front stoop. Gonna grab my mom's strawberry jar, too, and get some of those locally. Maybe blueberries, too.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Finally, I can contribute to this thread rather than just sit back and lurk vicariously through you all.

We redid (still working on the last bits of it) our front yard last year, and I have a large raised planter bed in the middle of our yard. It's simple, but I am so happy with it!

So now I have 2 rosemary bushes, 2 lavenders, a bunch of different sages, 3 different mint (in pots so they won't spread), a few thyme, some curry plants, lemon thyme, greek oregano, and various other perennial herbs. I have some basil in pots that seem very happy too. I even have a baby bay tree that I got for Valentine's day :)

Once we get the back done, I can get some veggies gardens started, but hey...right now I can use my own herbs etc when I am cooking. It's really very exciting to see them growing and thriving.

I have never gotten anything to grow before, so this is all new for me, and I am loving it!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I have a 12x3 strip of land that gets some but not a ton of direct sunlight, plus a 12x3 area where I could put some planter boxes that gets a bit more sunlight. Both are up against the side of my house. I'm hoping to grow some herbs, tomatoes, and peppers at a minimum, what else would grow well in these conditions?

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.

Mons Hubris posted:

I have a 12x3 strip of land that gets some but not a ton of direct sunlight, plus a 12x3 area where I could put some planter boxes that gets a bit more sunlight. Both are up against the side of my house. I'm hoping to grow some herbs, tomatoes, and peppers at a minimum, what else would grow well in these conditions?

Cucumbers, watermelon, eggplant, other classic garden plants that are hard to gently caress up. Most of those want full sun, though, so be mindful of your placement.

polarbear_terrorist
Feb 23, 2007

Snow is my weakness
I'm super excited! I'm trying gardening from seeds for the first time and so far, IT's ALIVE!
I'm a bit worried about how these are looking. Does the stem need support? Currently, I'm still using seedling mix and was thinking of transferring to soil (inside) when bigger.

http://imgur.com/RPCw7lO
(Can't change bb code image size on the phone :/)
Amish Paste tomatoes!

polarbear_terrorist fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Apr 20, 2014

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

polarbear_terrorist posted:

I'm super excited! I'm trying gardening from seeds for the first time and so far, IT's ALIVE!
I'm a bit worried about how these are looking. Does the stem need support? Currently, I'm still using seedling mix and was thinking of transferring to soil (inside) when bigger.

Amish Paste tomatoes!

No, the stems don't need support, but the plants might need more light.

What type of light source are you using for them? Do you just have them in a bright window or are you giving them any supplemental light? If you just have them in a bright window, you may want to get a light for them or they will get leggy (seedlings will grow long, weak stems as they attempt to find the sun). I recently bought a pretty cheap LED grow light and clip on reflector to help out my miracle berry plants, and it's great. With the number of plants I see in the picture, you'll probably want at least two. If you have a lot of seedlings, you may want to consider investing in one of those two florescent bulb shop lights. Whichever light source you decide to go with (not incandescent bulbs, they're too hot), put the light within an inch of the plants and move it up as the plants grow.

luloo123 fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Apr 20, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

polarbear_terrorist posted:

http://imgur.com/RPCw7lO
Amish Paste tomatoes!

Luloo is right, those seedlings are already pretty leggy. Happily, tomatoes will grow roots up the stem so when you repot them, just plant the stem farther into the soil and they might be okay.

Also, not to steal this thread's traffic but we have a pretty good veggie gardening thread in DIY that's much more active than this one, you check it out :)

• Locked thread