Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

We have been growing herbs for a few months now. Start off with some parsley, basil, rosemary and strawberries. This has taken off, so now we have parsley, basil, rosemary, garlic chives, chocolate mint, normal mint, coriander, pizza thyme, normal thyme, 4 different kinds of chillis, tomatoes, a lemon tree and a lime tree, potatos (still germinating) onions (still germinating), spring onions (still germinating0 and a couple of types of lettuce.

Also got a worm farm to keep them topped up with good soil and juice. Havent had this long enough for it to fill up yet, but its getting there. The juice is so good though.

We built our own little sun shade with a scrap of shade cloth and about $10 in lumber. That grew so its now got a section for germinating seeds, inbuilt irrigation, and wont blow over in a stiff breeze.

We have got the basics of the set up down which is good, but I still want to tweak it some more so we can have multiple onion and potato trays, so we can always have a fresh supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Haha I don't get how disadvantageous it can be to grow pumpkins. We bought seeds and just let them grow.

Maybe because pumpkin is so damned cheap in the supermarket, and takes up so much space, you could be using that to grow more expensive stuff instead, and use the money you save on that to buy pumpkin.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Probably. I guess the value proposition is different when you live on a farm.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Goons With Spoons > Urban in my Herbin Garden

I guess so.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Don't be a loving prick, I grew them as a kid and live in a rental house now. Despite that, I'm still in the city, and I still have a yard where I could grow pumpkins if I wanted. It's still a worthwhile question to ask.

Sure thing toots. Pretty sure I answered it as well.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ScooterMcTiny posted:

Anything I should keep an eye out for?

The mint to completely take over the planter that you have it in crowding out anything else.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Light's not an option.

Why?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't find any kind of grow light.

http://www.growlight.co.kr/en/default.asp

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Anyone know a good organic way to repel pests?
http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/factsheets/In-the-Garden/Organic-Pest-Spray/6103

Chilli + garlic + water -> put on a very very low temp stove for a while to release active ingredients, then strain and put in a spray bottle. Use quickly (it smells like poo poo if you let it go off)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Tinfoil Price posted:

I'm living in a room with a nice south facing window next year, so hopefully I can grow them in planters on the window sill. Worst case, I guess I could ask a stoner friend about DIY hydropnics. Totally not sketch.

There is a hydroponics thread somewhere in DIY I think. It may have been moved to archive.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Fozzy, you could sink a pot into the ground with the rim 1" or so above and plant mint in that. It spreads by runners and is horribly invasive.

Keeping in mind the laziness. I have left mint along in a pot for a week or two over spring, and the pot was a good 30cm off the ground, and the mint had grown up over the lip, down the side and was just planting itself in the ground outside. I have also left the pot alone for too long and had the mint grow out from the drainage holes, and establish itself that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Faerunner posted:

Other than drilling drainage holes, any advice on turning a trash can into a non-stinky composting machine?

I want to build a tumbling composter one day, because they speed the whole process up and are fairly easy. 2 lengths of wood (2*4 is fine) in an x shape at each end of the barrel for support. Drill two holes in the middle of the top and the bottom, and reinforce with another smaller X of wood, then shove a piece of dowel through both the holes, and cradle them in the larger X / supports. That will give you a barrel that turns easily, and all you have to do then is cut out a hole to put scraps in through, and add some hinges to that and you are done.

• Locked thread