Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sp00kachu
Mar 13, 2003
You sound like you're already down the path of diy container options, but just to put this out there for anyone else: when I was city-gardening I found rubbermaid style containers of all sizes to be about 1/10th the cost of even the cheapest planters. Drill or hammer a bunch of holes around the lower perimeter, toss the lid underneath to function as the saucer would. I started picking up giant ones so I could grow things like cucumbers and carrots without spending $50/pot and ended up just loving them for many things. The ones made for under-bed storage are fabulous for lettuce and radishes, for example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sp00kachu
Mar 13, 2003

osukeith161 posted:

Then, later on, the branches needed staked/tied, and I can't see a reliable way to do that when you plan on moving it a lot. I just envision broken limbs.

They'd need structure but an immobile fence isn't necessary at all. Tomato cages and fan trellises work great, and don't need to be affixed anywhere other than deep down into the container. If it's big enough to grow a sizable plant, it's deep enough to sturdily hold the cages. I had 3 large rubbermaids of tomatoes last year that grew so big their vines went up the inside and then had to trail and be tied down over the outside, this is with 60 inch cages. I dragged them around the yard any # of times. Breakage never became an issue. Wind will be more of a problem on rooftops, but mobile staking is far from impossible. Making sure your structure is as deep in the pot as can be is the important part.

• Locked thread