Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Wait, there's another timeskip right? Because if she just turned 16,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Usagi drop is about 50 chapters long.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Stupid Kouki's Mom. This is all your fault!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Hortism posted:

Stupid Kouki's Mom. This is all your fault!

Just emptyquote this into oblivion and wish you could change a fictional character's mind.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Ironically, it's only when I lose the will to read it that a bunch of Usagi Drop chapters get released.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Hortism posted:

Ironically, it's only when I lose the will to read it that a bunch of Usagi Drop chapters get released.

Everyone on board for the oncoming train wreck toot toot :toot:

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Man. I just finished reading Lovely Complex and it's been a while since I've been mad at a shojo manga ending.

The beginning starts out strong and has almost everything I'd want in a high school-set shojo story, and the characters are perfect. At some point it seems like the development goes to a crawl and we have some boring volumes, but whatever, it's still alright. A few plot points come and go, minor characters and one-shot stories come in, but nothing really happens to our main cast aside from the dealing with separation from college and (not) takin' that relationship to the next level or what have you, and that takes forever to get through. Everything just kind of fizzles away and the story ends at high school graduation with our main characters in the relationship they've been in since volume 5. It's like Nakahara literally couldn't think of anything to do with the story, and all those little plot points were purely insignificant.

I was expecting a lot more. Then the ending line is something like guess we're just going to stay this way forever, going on with our lives changes nothing which just pissed me off since it really contradicts everything about the story. Risa's whole spontaneous "I want to do fashion" thing just sort of happened and then we're supposed to accept all went perfectly as planned. I mean, I'm not expecting a Nana-style LIFE IS HARD message but come on. The chapters immediately before the ending focused on some character who only existed in those two chapters. Usually you'd expect these sort of one-shots to develop something but those developments are shallow at best. I can't really say I could have thought of a better way to end it, but that was just weak. Literally made me put the book down and say "gently caress you you cannot end that like this". And even so, it could have easily been (at the least) shortened by a good half.

For what it's worth, I really liked the anime. I don't recall if it ended like this or not, but if it did I probably dismissed it as "that's fun and all guess I'll finish the story in the manga later". It might also be the fact that I've been buying all the volumes since they started coming out (17 volumes!!) and now that I've sat down to read it... I'm just disappointed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've read the Lovely Complex Plus, the extra chapters that completely unnecessarily adds some stuff about how they had actually met way earlier, and also has a bit of them in their college years that I did actually enjoy, even if the translation I read was pretty bad. I haven't made it all the way through the main story of the manga even though I enjoyed reading the parts that I did. It just made me want to watch the anime again, so that's what I ended up doing instead and haven't gone back to continue reading.

Chapter 83 is out for Good Ending and I swear I'm about to just give up on it, not every single girl in the city needs to have to want to hump our lead for it to be an interesting story. Maybe it's the difference between shounen and shoujo romance or something, but it's starting to get on my nerves. Edit: I think I've bitched about this series in the exact same way before, how repetitive of me.

Oh who am I kidding, I'll probably stick with reading it for quite a while, because I'm hooked enough to keep letting it jerk me around. :smithicide:

I need more Aoi Hana and Manga no Tsukurikata, and Kimi ni Todoke chapters to come out, those are the romance series that I'm really loving right now, now that Octave wrapped up.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jun 13, 2011

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh god... I just finished reading Fruits Basket. I've got the first 4 volumes, but couldn't stop at the 4th one (and couldn't afford to buy the rest of them right away), so I read the rest of the series online to satiate my Fruits Basket love. I'll pick up the rest of the volumes gradually.

I can't remember crying so much while reading a story. Both happy and sad tears. I never thought a series about people who turn into zodiac animals when hugged by the opposite sex could be so... heart-wrenching.

I originally thought it was just going to be a fluffy, romantic comedy with lot's of awkward animal scenes, but boy, was I wrong. It made me cry like an orphan.

I get far too emotionally attached to fictional characters.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~
Good Ending 87 is back in trainwreck mode for the stupidest reason ever.

I'm NOT COOL with kinda raping you and apparently that is a DEALBREAKER~! Time to go hook up with that other chick that actually loves me. :dukedog:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I just finished watching Air because I thought it was weird it didn't get as much praise as the Kanon 2006 remake and Clannad. Dunno if other people got the same feeling as me, which is that I think it got the short end of the stick what with it having to stuff its whole storyline into half a season compared to the other two. I also watched it so I could write out its ADTRWiki entry and complete the trio. Hopefully some people can write some personal opinions on it besides me.

Can't believe Air ends with such a :smith: ending too. In Kanon at least Ayu woke up from her coma and in Clannad they added that game mechanic of Tomoya earning enough karma balls to save Nagisa from dying giving childbirth. Also, a question. I'm not even clear on the whole Ryuya-from-the-past-having-a-child thing to break the curse. My understanding is that Yukito didn't break the curse and simply died by being close to Misuzu while that little boy on the beach was destined to be the next male to try to break the curse. Am I right, and is there pretty much nothing further to the story beyond the end of the anime?

And I just remembered that Air's main female (Misuzu's) voice actress died last month due to cancer and it made watching Air extra sad.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
So because I dont have nearly enough series on the go to suck up any and all resources I stumbled upon 'Banana fish' which seemed cool from the cover but the particular place I looked it up in had no description.

The best I saw was that it was Shojo.

Ok then so wiki it is!

wiki posted:

1973, Vietnam - an American soldier goes mad and guns down his buddies. Since then, the only words he has uttered are "Banana Fish"...

Twelve years later, in New York City, police investigate a series of puzzling suicides and a dying man gives a charismatic young gang leader named Ash Lynx a vial of a mysterious substance..

I..that...how is that shojo? If so is Marlon brando the Tsundere in Apocalypse now?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Agent_grey posted:

I..that...how is that shojo? If so is Marlon brando the Tsundere in Apocalypse now?

To call it shojo is kind of a misnomer; it's more josei than shojo. (Josei is to shojo what seinen is to shounen: aimed more at older women than girls and deals with more mature themes.) And the reason why it's josei is because that mysterious young gang leader and the other main character, an aspiring photographer (from Japan, would you believe), engage in a homosexual relationship. And do so in a straightforward, realistic manner, wonder of wonders. It's not even the focus of the plot, which is the mystery of Banana Fish. It's pretty cool, completely written and translated, and you just reminded me I haven't finished it yet.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey cool Kimi ni Todoke just got a Region 1 release

Hits the US in October and will have an artbook which will be a look back at the first part of the series from Sawako's viewpoint. No word yet on when season 2 will be released though.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Willsun posted:

Also, a question. I'm not even clear on the whole Ryuya-from-the-past-having-a-child thing to break the curse. My understanding is that Yukito didn't break the curse and simply died by being close to Misuzu while that little boy on the beach was destined to be the next male to try to break the curse. Am I right, and is there pretty much nothing further to the story beyond the end of the anime?

(Major AIR spoilers) IIRC, The curse is broken with Misuzu's death in the 1000th Summer, as she died with happy memories. I think it had something to do with the Sora part as well? The two kids on the beach have nothing to do with the curse. But then again, not too much is perfectly clear in the series, so you're free to interpret it as you wish. I really enjoyed Air TV, and it has quite the emotional ending, but it needed more airtime. Most of the minor arcs seem really unimportant in comparison to the major story.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

resurgam40 posted:

To call it shojo is kind of a misnomer; it's more josei than shojo. (Josei is to shojo what seinen is to shounen: aimed more at older women than girls and deals with more mature themes.) And the reason why it's josei is because that mysterious young gang leader and the other main character, an aspiring photographer (from Japan, would you believe), engage in a homosexual relationship. And do so in a straightforward, realistic manner, wonder of wonders. It's not even the focus of the plot, which is the mystery of Banana Fish. It's pretty cool, completely written and translated, and you just reminded me I haven't finished it yet.

It's not josei (better termed "ladies"), it's a shoujo series that was aimed at girls. It was also incredibly popular with men, but that in no way takes away from the fact that it was published in a girls' magazine and printed under a shoujo imprint.

If you think shoujo is all romance and bubbles, you have a lot of catching up to do. Particularly in the gruesome horror department.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

musouka posted:

It's not josei (better termed "ladies"), it's a shoujo series that was aimed at girls. It was also incredibly popular with men, but that in no way takes away from the fact that it was published in a girls' magazine and printed under a shoujo imprint.

If you think shoujo is all romance and bubbles, you have a lot of catching up to do. Particularly in the gruesome horror department.

Ah. After having looked up these things and the differences between them, it seems that you are right. Hmm, I'll have to be careful; although I don't think shoujo is all romance and bubbles (just like shounen isn't all fighting and friendship; Death Note is shounen, remember), it's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking that umbrella terms are in any way indicative of content or quality. I hadn't known that Banana Fish ran in a shoujo imprint; the more you know.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Keyboard Kid posted:

But then again, not too much is perfectly clear in the series, so you're free to interpret it as you wish. I really enjoyed Air TV, and it has quite the emotional ending, but it needed more airtime. Most of the minor arcs seem really unimportant in comparison to the major story.

More major Air spoilers: If there was anything alluding to Misuzu ending the curse, I don't remember it. My interpretation is that Misuzu reached her "goal," which was to try her hardest to have fun for once during summer with people she loved (Yukito and Misuzu's mom) before she was fated to die. The curse lives on because she failed to survive and Sora the crow was sorta of this weird entity of Yukito seeing the whole story from another point of view after he died from deciding to stay with Misuzu and taking the consequences. Being the crow also let him come back one more time to encourage Misuzu to reach her "goal." Then here I speculate with even less to work on: Yukito gives all the knowledge he got from seeing the past, his normal life, and the view from being a crow to that little boy at the beach because the little boy was the next heir of sorts from the samurai Ryuya to try to end the curse. Ugh,:iiam:

I regret trying to Google other explanations to Air's story because they all sound exaggerated and there was even a few people acting like everyone else just doesn't "get it" and they're super deep or some poo poo.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

I like this explanation: (Air) Misuzu gained happy memories and when she died, she took them back to Kanna. This caused the curse to be lifted and Kanna's soul was once agained reincarnated (the little girl with blue hair at the end). It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure there was a bit of dialogue about the memories/feelings to break the curse.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

musouka posted:

I cant really dissociate shojo from that particular image in the same way I wouldn't really say Judge dread is kids comics. Though at the same time I may have shot my argument in the foot as I don't suppose I would call Judge Dread 'mature' for the most part either.
I like Shojo stuff well enough but isnt there a general upper end of where you can refer to something as one genre? Published in a Shojo magazine or not is this really somthing that fits into that slot?

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I fully intend to read it but given that kind of set up it sounds more like it belongs to the Seinen lot.

I'm genuinely interested in stuff you say is shojo but scoots far away from the bubbles and fluffy screen tones though, what would you have to offer in this way of things?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Late on this thread, but Kimi no Iru Machi...

Why! gently caress you! Why?! Damnit! Asuka! No? gently caress you!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Since the summer season is rather thin I finally got a chance to start watching Kare Kano, only four episodes in but I think I love it. It's sweet and hilarious, her little sisters both rule and make me laugh, all of the art shifts and sight gags are amazing, non of the characters are horrible jerks. It's a shame that due to creative differences it all falls apart later on. Based on what I've seen so far I'll enjoy the hell out of it until then.

Kimi ni Todoke chapter 59 is out too. Yano, :( you poor messed up kid. These last few chapters have highlighted the fact that even though all Sawako and Kazehaya's friends could see their problems and try to help those two out, they're still really blind to their own feelings and what to do with them.

and

Karuho Shiina you better let those two kiss soon. :rant:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 12, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of Kimi ni Todoke here's the commercial for the official US release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-CjD29co8k

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

For anyone curious, the final chapter of Usagi Drop has finally been released, so you can see the awfulness in all its glory.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Hortism posted:

For anyone curious, the final chapter of Usagi Drop has finally been released, so you can see the awfulness in all its glory.
I'm just glad there was a new Silver Spoon to get the awful taste out of my mouth, at least until Silver Spoon turns into a beastiality manga.

Edit: The first four volumes were pretty good, though.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 23, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It doesn't really do me any good other than to make me wish I read even a little Japanese, but Takako Shimura author of Wandering Son and Aoi Hana has started a web series called Awajima Hyakkei (One Hundred Views of Awajima) set in an all female musical theater school. She looks to be doing some fun things with flash, so if it somehow gets a translation hopefully they can keep that aspect of it.

You can read a whole lot more about it at Matt Thorn's blog. He's the one who is doing the English localization/translation for Wandering Son and has some pretty decent insights on localization and also on LGBT issues in Japan.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So is Usagi Drop's ending bad in a poor writing sort of way or what?

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I guess you could say that. Reading the manga up to that point there are almost no hints that anything of that sort would happen until the last volume. Though even if it was hinted at it would still be a pretty bad ending.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Hortism posted:

Welp I read this. :stare:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

For you that have read up to the end, or just looked at the spoilers to see what all the fuss is about don't that dissuade you from watching the anime that's currently airing. There's literally nothing in the entire first half of the story (25 chapters or so) or even most of the second half that would lead you to believe that's where she was taking the story. The anime is only going to be 11 episodes and that will get nowhere near where the author lost her drat mind.

It's terrible writing, but even if it was good writing it's still just about the stupidest ending possible.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

And why did she end it like that? As she grows older, eventually she'd get a life of her own, and have to leave Daikichi behind. But what kind of happy ending is it to see them grow apart? So she decides the logical way to keep a happy ending is to keep the two of them together forever. :bang: But yes, the first half of the series is great and not creepy at all, so don't be discouraged from watching the anime.

Edit: I notice the thread is gone for Mysterious Girlfriend X, and it's a romance of sorts, so... Two chapter updates this past week.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Aug 1, 2011

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Mysterious Girlfriend is Seinen, and mostly fanservice, and horrible.

Here's something rather hilarious I found:

Iguana Girl

With pages like this:

You just can't go wrong!

EDIT: But it's actually kind of :smith:

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 6, 2011

musouka
Apr 24, 2009
Iguana no Musume isn't hilarious crack, it's a semi-autobiographical short story by the "Tezuka of shoujo manga", Hagio Moto.

Pretty much everything she writes is incredible, except for her sort of middling ballet stuff. Try reading some of her sci-fi. It's great.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

musouka posted:

Iguana no Musume isn't hilarious crack, it's a semi-autobiographical short story by the "Tezuka of shoujo manga", Hagio Moto.

Pretty much everything she writes is incredible, except for her sort of middling ballet stuff. Try reading some of her sci-fi. It's great.

Yeah, it is pretty saddening, that story, but very well written. I liked it. Hm, maybe I'll try reading more of Hagio Moto's work, then. I like sci fi!

Here's an interesting find: Mathematical Girls. It's a romance about girls who like math, and a guy in between. I like it, being a mathematical sort of guy, but the character angle is intriguing as well.

jhennauchan
Apr 21, 2010
Because I'm not quite sure where to stick this, I'll just leave this here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEnY1kdqbFU&feature=related

Apparently Utena finally got the US release it always needed. (And silently I wonder how I completely missed this.) Volume 2 of 3 was just released.

And you can buy them HERE:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/iOcYCDLVBW0lgAyWbh/browse/item/91381/4/0/0

Makes me wish I hadn't just sprung on a new TV. Literally sweating bullets trying not to buy Volume 1 until my next paycheck which is 10 agonizing days away.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

That's great news, I had no idea at all they had a decent US release coming up, much less out.

Earlier someone had mentioned the light novels Golden Time by Toradora author Yuyuko Takemiya. Looks like it's getting a manga adaptation starting in September. I'm interested in checking it out since I liked the Toradora anime (haven't rend the novels or their manga adaptation).

I wonder if it's on a path to being animated though, maybe I should just wait for that to happen.

phelps
Mar 28, 2011

a kitten posted:

Earlier someone had mentioned the light novels Golden Time by Toradora author Yuyuko Takemiya. Looks like it's getting a manga adaptation starting in September. I'm interested in checking it out since I liked the Toradora anime (haven't rend the novels or their manga adaptation).

If you liked the Toradora anime, you should check the manga out. It's a great adaptation and I really like the art.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Regarding Bunny Drop/Usagi Drop:

I had previously read about half of the manga before the English translations stopped for a few years. Now, since the manga thread is dead, I have some Volume 5 spoilers that I need to get off my chest: Initially, the entire volume was never translated but I read it going just by the pictures. I misinterpreted many scenes. Like, when Daikichi hugs Kouki's mom and gets rejected, I was totally devastated. The way she pushed him away made it seem that she wanted nothing to do with him - when it was only because she feared for Rin's safety because of Kouki's wild behavior.

Edit: More super spoilers from manga Ch43-44:
Oh god I can't believe the author just went there! (Rin X Daikichi) I had assumed that Rin was uncomfortable with the possibility of Daikichi finding a wife because she would be 'put aside'. A misplaced fear in her case - she's always be Daikichi's little girl.

Instead, we have Rin discussing with Reina how post-pubescent girls find their male family members 'smelly' in a bad way, a Japanese anti-incest theory. And Rin doesn't find Daikichi 'smelly'....uh oh. Then Rin starts thinking that they're blood related, BUT there's 3 degrees of seperation between them, so maybe it's not so bad. And now for the last two chapters she's been giving Daikichi blushing glances...in a very undaughterlike manner.

Hopefully, she just has some daddy-electra complex or something with Daikichi. AT THE VERY LEAST, I hope Daikichi firmly rebuffs any advances from Rin. It would be firmly out of character for Daikichi to even entertain the possibility of having Rin as a daughter-wife-abomination.

BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF it's going there WHY JAPAN WHY!!

Ch47-48 Spoilers:
Thankfully, it seems to have eased off a little. I'm still deeply concerned with this incest plot though, it's like a Chekov's gun waiting to be unleashed at any moment.

Ch49 Spoilers:
So Rin's sordid secret was discovered by Kouki. This could be a good thing. Maybe it's just a girlish crush that Rin has, you know, the thing that passes. Reina might be right in that Rin is just looking for a boyfriend but doesn't know it herself yet.

Ch53 Spoilers:
Oh..my heart..this is so cruel. What have the readers done to deserve this tragedy? This can only end in tears. Props to Daikichi though, a true father.

Oh I'm loving crying now this is so sad. Sad. Like what the gently caress? I'm having trouble turning pages. Cruelest thing indeed.

Ch54 Spoilers:
I can't believe it got worse. Daikichi isn't even related to Rin. Which means that Rin will only be more encouraged to love Daikichi. Which doesn't matter to Daikichi, of course - blood or no blood she is his daughter.

Ch55 Spoilers:
Fail, Daikichi, Fail. I'm extremely bitter - Daikichi caved in to Rin's demands. I'm not even sure he likes her that way, but he seems to be doing it for her peace of mind. What a stronger father would have done is to send her away to relatives and never speak to her again. This is like a modern, hosed up Tale of Genji.

Closing Thoughts:
Unita Yumi, gently caress you. You couldn't write a scenario where Daikichi got with Kouki's hot mom, could you? Nah, you just dangled that poo poo in your readers faces like a huge red herring. And Rin couldn't have just fallen for Kouki? 'Nah that's just too vanilla nothing spices up a story like some good ol' father-daughter incest.'

Someone in the anime adaption thread said watching the series lowered his blood pressure by 10 points. After reading the manga completely mine must have gone up 20 points. I'm loving mad, bitter, and distraught.

To be honest, I would have preferred a tragic ending where Rin's love was forever unreciprocated.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 10, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Now you see why so many of us have so much trouble watching the anime, no matter how good it is now with the pre-Volume 5 material. It's a giant, dark cloud that will forever loom over the story in all of its adaptations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Now you see why so many of us have so much trouble watching the anime, no matter how good it is now with the pre-Volume 5 material. It's a giant, dark cloud that will forever loom over the story in all of its adaptations.

Not only that, but the ending deliberately ties Rin's behavior in the early chapters to her romantic feelings. So, for me personally, it even taints the early chapters.