Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Nate RFB posted:

Now you see why so many of us have so much trouble watching the anime, no matter how good it is now with the pre-Volume 5 material. It's a giant, dark cloud that will forever loom over the story in all of its adaptations.

musouka posted:

Not only that, but the ending deliberately ties Rin's behavior in the early chapters to her romantic feelings. So, for me personally, it even taints the early chapters.

Dark cloud, poisonous taint, unholy abomination. I honestly 100% believe that I would be happier right now if I never had read past volume 4. Maybe include volume 5 then full stop, even with the Kouki's mom cliffhanger.

I kept thinking to myself during the last volume, "Where did this all go wrong?" What happened to the sweet Rin and hapless Daikichi I had come to know and adore? The first four volumes was pure bliss, a uplifting story about a young man who spontaneously decides to become a father. The fifth volume was a story of Rin growing into her womanhood - I liked it. Yet somehow by the last volume, this manga turned into the worst trainwreck ending I've ever seen.

I haven't watched the anime yet, but I was going to until now. If there's a second season (for the timeskip) I hope they rewrite the plot from the ground up. Anything to get the image out of my mind of Rin making babies with Daikichi :barf:.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
I want to know what was going on in the author's head when she wrote Usagi Drop's ending. Did she think it was honestly heartwarming? Is she some sort of well-meaning giant spider that thinks that ending is how normal humans act? Or was the whole thing some amazingly long mean-spirited joke on the readership? I mean, if so that would be actually pretty funny now that I think about it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

NovaPolice posted:

I want to know what was going on in the author's head when she wrote Usagi Drop's ending. Did she think it was honestly heartwarming? Is she some sort of well-meaning giant spider that thinks that ending is how normal humans act? Or was the whole thing some amazingly long mean-spirited joke on the readership? I mean, if so that would be actually pretty funny now that I think about it.

I think it's her fetish, basically.

Also, for those of you who feel really let down about it, there's always http://www.mangareader.net/887/my-girl-sahara-mizu.html which is pretty much the same thing, just vastly less creepy and more focused on how people think in relationships and such. It's interesting!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I haven't read Usagi Drop but a lot of what you guys are saying reminds me of the relationship between Shuji and Hagu in Honey and Clover. I don't know what happens storywise after what the anime covers, but the backstory was similar in that Hagu was left without a guardian after her grandma died and is taken up by the much older Shuji who at the end of the second season confesses he likes her. Has anyone who read all of Honey and Clover know if the end is as crap as how Usagi Drop turned out?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Willsun posted:

I don't know what happens storywise after what the anime covers, but the backstory was similar in that Hagu was left without a guardian after her grandma died and is taken up by the much older Shuji who at the end of the second season confesses he likes her.
I might be misremembering things, but I took that part from the anime as Shuji taking on a sort of permanent guardianship role, not a lover's role (because Hagu was just so broken that there wasn't really any hope for her to have a normal relationship), where he could at least make sure that she was able to continue with her art. It seemed more like a tragic resignation to chaperoned spinsterhood than 'welp, guess we're gonna be an item.'

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

enigma74 posted:

Dark cloud, poisonous taint, unholy abomination. I honestly 100% believe that I would be happier right now if I never had read past volume 4. Maybe include volume 5 then full stop, even with the Kouki's mom cliffhanger.

I kept thinking to myself during the last volume, "Where did this all go wrong?" What happened to the sweet Rin and hapless Daikichi I had come to know and adore? The first four volumes was pure bliss, a uplifting story about a young man who spontaneously decides to become a father. The fifth volume was a story of Rin growing into her womanhood - I liked it. Yet somehow by the last volume, this manga turned into the worst trainwreck ending I've ever seen.

I haven't watched the anime yet, but I was going to until now. If there's a second season (for the timeskip) I hope they rewrite the plot from the ground up. Anything to get the image out of my mind of Rin making babies with Daikichi :barf:.

Hey, yeah that's almost my exact reaction to the whole thing. I did decide to watch the animated version and it's just as great as the first half of the story is. My enjoyment is definitely tempered by my knowledge of the bullshit at the end though, that's for drat sure.

Paracelsus posted:

I might be misremembering things, but I took that part from the anime as Shuji taking on a sort of permanent guardianship role, not a lover's role (because Hagu was just so broken that there wasn't really any hope for her to have a normal relationship), where he could at least make sure that she was able to continue with her art. It seemed more like a tragic resignation to chaperoned spinsterhood than 'welp, guess we're gonna be an item.'

That's the impression I got too. Unless there's more after the end of Season 2 I think that's all the story there is for it.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

a kitten posted:

Hey, yeah that's almost my exact reaction to the whole thing. I did decide to watch the animated version and it's just as great as the first half of the story is. My enjoyment is definitely tempered by my knowledge of the bullshit at the end though, that's for drat sure.

I had a physical sick feeling in my stomach reading the end. I was pretty angry I had to take a nap and chill out.

The unique thing about this 'experience' is that I don't think I've ever dreaded turning the page in a book or manga in quite that way. I've read some fairly scary/gruesome horror manga, but the feeling is completely different. In Usagi Drop, I wanted to resist knowing the terrible ending yet I was oddly compelled to read anyway because of my previous attachment to the characters.

Zorak posted:

I think it's her fetish, basically.

Also, for those of you who feel really let down about it, there's always http://www.mangareader.net/887/my-girl-sahara-mizu.html which is pretty much the same thing, just vastly less creepy and more focused on how people think in relationships and such. It's interesting!

Will look into. Anything to wash my mind of what I've just experienced.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

DrSunshine posted:

Here's an interesting find: Mathematical Girls. It's a romance about girls who like math, and a guy in between. I like it, being a mathematical sort of guy, but the character angle is intriguing as well.

Psh. You can't know the true love (or hate) of mathematics if you're not even on a Calculus level :mathsmug:

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Willsun posted:

Has anyone who read all of Honey and Clover know if the end is as crap as how Usagi Drop turned out?

Honey & Clover is frustrating for a different reason. HUGE Honey & Clover spoiler - The core theme is that of unrequited love, and no one gets together with anyone at the end.
:negative:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Baron Snow posted:

Honey & Clover is frustrating for a different reason. HUGE Honey & Clover spoiler - The core theme is that of unrequited love, and no one gets together with anyone at the end.
:negative:

Didn't the guy with glasses end up with the widow with the scar on her back? I remember they did it, and I don't recall anything implying that they split up. Also the pottery girl seemed on-track with the suave co-worker.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

Paracelsus posted:

Didn't the guy with glasses end up with the widow with the scar on her back? I remember they did it, and I don't recall anything implying that they split up. Also the pottery girl seemed on-track with the suave co-worker.

Yeah, Those two pairs end up together, but no one really seems happy about it.

Uggg loving Honey & Clover. The first season ends on such a hopeful note, and then season 2 comes along and kicks you in the dick. That's one of the few shows I seriously wish I hadn't seen the second season of.

Speed
Dec 25, 2010

I wanna sleep...
I'd also like to chime in on the Usagi Drop ending.

This is probably the most revolting ending I have ever seen. I mean the timeskip was bad enough but it had to go there. I can't comprehend the thought that any human being could find that to be appropriate as you see the entirety of the life of the characters together, which is later just used as an excuse for CHILD BEARING

As someone else had mentioned feeling sick, you aren't alone. As soon as it was first hinted at and kept being brought up I got more and more horrified of this prospect.

The only realistic thing in the chapter was Daikichi thinking of what he was going to tell his mother, and then everyone else.

I can only hope that the anime ends pre-timeskip with Daikichi getting with Koukis mom

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Or at the very least, pulling an Anno like he did with Kare Kano's TV series.

Speaking of which, is this how people felt at the end of the Kare Kano manga?

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

As bad as the ending is, the people that actually LIKE the ending because it's not a cliche are far worse.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I never watched/ read Kare Kano to its ending, what was weird about it?

Zorak fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Aug 11, 2011

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Robo Pope posted:

Uggg loving Honey & Clover. The first season ends on such a hopeful note, and then season 2 comes along and kicks you in the dick. That's one of the few shows I seriously wish I hadn't seen the second season of.

See, I really liked season 2. It was bittersweet, but it was kinda nice to recognize that sometimes things just don't work out and you have to move on with your life, instead of going for a kirameki rabu rabu story. I thought the ending was really well done, too. I was also having some issues in my life at the time I was watching it that kinda mirrored some of Takemoto's, so it was a bit cathartic for me, and that probably makes it a much better series for me than it would necessarily be for someone else.

And the unicorns guarding the princess will always be hilarious.

Paracelsus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Aug 11, 2011

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Zorak posted:

I never watched Kare Kano to its ending, what was weird about it?

It was stills and text boxes that told a story about two of the side characters in the third person.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Paracelsus posted:

It was stills and text boxes that told a story about two of the side characters in the third person.

As for the manga, the last chapter implies that the best high school friend of the lead couple is going to hook up with their daughter, who is 15ish while the adults are ~35. I remember feeling a bit sick to my stomach while reading that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zorak posted:

I never watched/ read Kare Kano to its ending, what was weird about it?

Anime, it was like Anno decided stick puppets are the poo poo.

Manga, Arima's daughter falls in love with his best friend who's in his 30's, though that was in the final chapter time-skip thingie

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Well that's pretty creepy.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Zorak posted:

Hey Twilight is like that too, Renesmee x Jacob! And that's way more mainstream than Honey and Clover.

Seriously, I assume people like this poo poo because well you've got to satisfy ALL of the fanbase somehow. If the guy can't get with the girl he might as well creeper up on her daughter, the next best thing!

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.

Paracelsus posted:

See, I really liked season 2. It was bittersweet, but it was kinda nice to recognize that sometimes things just don't work out and you have to move on with your life, instead of going for a kirameki rabu rabu story. I thought the ending was really well done, too. I was also having some issues in my life at the time I was watching it that kinda mirrored some of Takemoto's, so it was a bit cathartic for me, and that probably makes it a much better series for me than it would necessarily be for someone else.

And the unicorns guarding the princess will always be hilarious.

Haha, yeah I kinda felt the same way about season 1, since when I first watched it I was going through the same thing as Takemoto trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life. Season 2 was good, yeah, but it seemed like its whole point was to drive home that no one ever gets what they really want and that just depressed the hell out of me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm the "watching the first episode of Usagi Drop lowered my blood pressure by 10 points" guy. I still stand by it, and indeed hope they do some Executive Meddling and change the final storyline if they continue the anime. I heard the Usagi Drop ending was bad, like really, really, really bad, this was shortly before I started the anime. So after watching the five episodes on Crunchyroll, I decided to blitz through the manga to see what the fuss was about. Boy howdy, I actually laughed at how bad the ending was. It was easily the most hamfisted out of the blue and out of character Gainax Ending I've ever seen. I like the final chapter's author's note, "look forward to my future works!"

Lady, I hope you become a loving industry pariah after pulling that poo poo. I would love to see the reaction from Yen Press after they saw how it ended, because I am sure that sort of thing won't fly well in the US(especially with Usagi Drop being nominated for an Eisner Award) and they've already put out multiple volumes.

I was getting a bit nervous and thinking that was where it was heading even before the timeskip, because of all the blushing Rin did. But I figured like, she or someone would abruptly die in a train crash or something absurdly morbid, and that was the really bad ending. But no, my initial fear proved true. I kinda want the upcoming "bonus chapter" to reveal that the final plotline was all just an insane hallucination as Rin bleeds out in the street after being hit by a car. It'd be better than what we loving got, at least. Jesus.

I actually liked the timeskip. It was interesting, though not as :3:adorable:3:. The stuff between Kouki and Rin was pretty entertaining and made sense. I literally facepalmed when, at the last loving second, Rin's mom deadpans "Soichi wasn't the father. You're not blood relatives." That was the worst part about it to me, the entire ordeal was an abomination, but that part was the worst sort of M. Night Shyamalan WHAT A TWEEST!-ing that enabled the resulting finale!

Hortism posted:

As bad as the ending is, the people that actually LIKE the ending because it's not a cliche are far worse.
Yeah I found a few of those. They're so bad. And not in the Power Glove way(major Usagi Drop spoilers here):

cecropiamoth posted:

Things like this ending happen. People and their feelings are infinitely variable. It seems to me valid to tell a story about one relationship that develops this way. With these two not being blood-related, there is no incest. I imagine people, especially fathers, are generally rational in the feelings they choose to allow themselves to have about daughters or daughter stand-ins. I have no children, but I can't imagine ever contemplating incest with a daughter without thoroughly rejecting the idea immediately. But then, this is not that case.

The great thing about Japanese manga and anime is that they are willing to contemplate the vagaries of the human heart that in the USA are bottled up and thrown away down the toilet, labeled "sin". It seems very clear to me that the mangaka of this story began bending the story in this direction some time ago (when the nice single mom who was perfect for Daichi unaccountably rejected him), if only in order to make the manga more sensational and able to sell longer. Then the new Tokyo law came into effect in July, apparently designed to pressure publishers and writers to "clean" up their act, by making more sexually adventurous and ecchi stories classifiable as "adult only" and so not able to be sold to minors, thereby killing much of the profit from those.

So this makgaka, who could have developed this new final arc of the story up through a bunch of the people in the manga getting furious at Dachichi, and proceeding right up to a marriage ceremony, at least, was sandbagged.

The mangaka and her editors then proceeded to chicken out and dropped this final story arc like a hot potato! We are going to see this happen again. Money talks.

If by chance Japan is now going to head in the direction of the puritanical USA, then that is going to be sad.
:barf:

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

If the manga set out from the get go to portray a quasi-incestual relationship like The Tale of Genji I'd probably be fine with it, just means I wouldn't have read it in the first place.
But I call bullshit on anyone saying that was the intention from the start. It was abrupt and out of nowhere and does not fit the theme from the rest of the manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zorak posted:

The manga had been stagnating for about 10 volumes by that point so the blow wasn't quite the sucker punch that was Usagi Drop''s sudden drop into insanity. Still pretty bad though. I'd like to think though that it hasn't tainted my enjoyment of the anime though, unlike Usagi Drop.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Robo Pope posted:

Haha, yeah I kinda felt the same way about season 1, since when I first watched it I was going through the same thing as Takemoto trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life. Season 2 was good, yeah, but it seemed like its whole point was to drive home that no one ever gets what they really want and that just depressed the hell out of me.

This feeling was compounded by the fact that the story took place over the course of 4 years. In 4 years, no one moved on or ended up contentedly together.

Nate RFB posted:

The manga had been stagnating for about 10 volumes by that point so the blow wasn't quite the sucker punch that was Usagi Drop''s sudden drop into insanity. Still pretty bad though. I'd like to think though that it hasn't tainted my enjoyment of the anime though, unlike Usagi Drop.

Yeah, the second half of Kare Kano was nowhere near as good as the first half. If I remember correctly, the main conflict was the lead male having an awful mother and therefore he was tainted somehow? Also I remember the sex-lead-up scenes being not romantic or even entertaining in the least. The creepy ending only added insult to "teen parents can still follow their dreams!" injury.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Forgot to mention this

musouka posted:

Not only that, but the ending deliberately ties Rin's behavior in the early chapters to her romantic feelings. So, for me personally, it even taints the early chapters.
This, exactly. The final storyline ruins the ENTIRE SERIES. You can't just "forget the ending existed" because it taints the whole series once you've read it. It's not just a "bad ending", it's an ending that goes back and ruins all the good stuff too because it eliminates anything that might be construed as innocent.

It really is the worst ending. It actually made me mad, that's how bad it was. FFFFFFFFFFffff

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

It's nice to know there is a lot of outrage about the ending here. I continously bitch about it for that very reason. Usagi Drop was just so promising and interesting and now it's been ireedemably butchered. And it's not like I haven't come across lovely anime/manga endings before. Probably one in two of them have unsatisfying ones.

Ah well, time to reread Yotsubato and pray Azuma doesn't have a similar mind implosion.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Azuma has more experience and has been doing this for a lot longer than the Usagi Drop person, who I believe they said it was their first series? And was only supposed to be a single volume originally?

Maybe they got disgruntled from executive meddling stretching the series out and wrote up that middle finger ending.

I want to know what the reaction to the last storyline was in Japan. Torches and pitchforks? Disgusting sycophancy? The anime and movie were both planned before the final storyline right?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
I've had a revelation about Usagi Drop's ending. I'm just going to make up in my head what I wanted to happen. gently caress the last volume, I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and going LA LA LA to ignore that stinking turd. Behold, Usagi Drop true ending, which somehow got canned by budgetary issues:

Daikichi:
You know that time when he injured his back? Kouki's mom actually came over and helped him out. They had a moment then. When Kouki's mom got remarried, he was a bit mopey for a while. But she had some marital problems unexpectedly and they had a one night stand in a heated moment. That caused some tension and they guilt-tripped over it for a while. But in the end, Kouki's mom got divorced for a second time and remarried Daikichi. They lived happily ever after into their golden years, after Rin and Kouki moved out of the house.

Rin:
Rin gets with some other guy temporarily, whether it be some classmate, teacher, or work colleague. This causes tensions with Kouki, who ends up dating his ex-girlfriend again. There's a lot of angst, but it's pretty much vanilla Shoujo plotline, or maybe something different more Josei like the series NANA. In the end though, Rin and Kouki reconcile and become a couple. The the final timeskip #2 years, we see Rin working in a typical office, with her second baby on the way. Kouki is henpecked by Rin as usual, and is taking care of the kids at home while Rin brings in the bacon.

THE END

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

The mangaka has had a few other series, nothing as long Usagi Drop though. I actually did read one of them before, and it had a pretty oddly depressing ending.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kusaru posted:

Yeah, the second half of Kare Kano was nowhere near as good as the first half. If I remember correctly, the main conflict was the lead male having an awful mother and therefore he was tainted somehow?

Bad situation with his family led to snooty rear end in a top hat relatives that made him into an rear end in a top hat deep inside. Realistic problems.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AnacondaHL posted:

Psh. You can't know the true love (or hate) of mathematics if you're not even on a Calculus level :mathsmug:

Feh, those who have mastered Mathematical Logic are on a far higher power level than mere Calculus. :ssj:

A New chapter

Oh geez! Why did he go for the weird spergy math girl instead of the other one?! :smith:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

DrSunshine posted:

Feh, those who have mastered Mathematical Logic are on a far higher power level than mere Calculus. :ssj:

A New chapter

Oh geez! Why did he go for the weird spergy math girl instead of the other one?! :smith:

Because the other one is a boring rear end character. Hey I have a crush on my [[classmate/teacher/whatever]] and will get all flustered and crap and will do things I probably wouldn't do normally just to be with him.

wtf is a Milka :ughh:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hortism posted:

Ah well, time to reread Yotsubato and pray Azuma doesn't have a similar mind implosion.

Well, if I remember reading correctly Azuma did use to write pornography... :geno: Nah, I doubt that'll happen. It's not really a drama comic anyway.

Like I said earlier, My Girl is basically the same as early Usagi Drop, just without even the semblance of creepiness. It's more poignant with itself.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

DrSunshine posted:

Here's an interesting find: Mathematical Girls.

Just as long as it doesn't delve too much into the dreaded realms of trigonometry.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Takako Shimura author of Wandering Son and Aoi Hana recently posted this on her twitter.

enigma74 posted:

</snip>
THE END
Perfect, I love it.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Zorak posted:

Well, if I remember reading correctly Azuma did use to write pornography... :geno: Nah, I doubt that'll happen. It's not really a drama comic anyway.

Like I said earlier, My Girl is basically the same as early Usagi Drop, just without even the semblance of creepiness. It's more poignant with itself.

Yeah, I've been reading My Girl, and it has been really good so far. Bit more if a serious tone than Usagi Drop, but still really nice in its own way.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

AnacondaHL posted:

Because the other one is a boring rear end character. Hey I have a crush on my [[classmate/teacher/whatever]] and will get all flustered and crap and will do things I probably wouldn't do normally just to be with him.

wtf is a Milka :ughh:

The math girl is boring too, though, all she ever talks about is math. It's a bit like choosing the lesser of two evils, but I'd rather have a cliche but active character than one who seems to exist just to exposit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

The math girl is boring too, though, all she ever talks about is math. It's a bit like choosing the lesser of two evils, but I'd rather have a cliche but active character than one who seems to exist just to exposit.

She's not boring, she kicked a chair.