Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

wtf is a Milka :ughh:

I like to imagine this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Two short DVD specials are out for Kimi ni Todoke

Featuring Ume and Sawako in completely hilarious versions of Cin UmeKuruderella and UmeSnow White.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
So...when does Usagi Drop start to become creepy? I'm at the beginning of the time skip, and love it so far, but I've been spoiled for the ending and just...don't want to read the creepy parts. Any advice?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

kissyboots13 posted:

So...when does Usagi Drop start to become creepy? I'm at the beginning of the time skip, and love it so far, but I've been spoiled for the ending and just...don't want to read the creepy parts. Any advice?

Volume-wise, about the last one.

Story-wise, you can't miss it.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

Tae posted:

Volume-wise, about the last one.

Story-wise, you can't miss it.

Yyeeeaaah, I think I just about hit it. I've decided to stop reading, and pretend that it ended right before the fake pregnancy thing. La la la, Rin and Kouki are in love and dating now! The end.

I'm gonna leave it at that, because right now this is a very sweet manga that I really loved reading--and it sounds like going all the way through will ruin everything that came before it.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Just out of morbid curiosity, how did they explain Rin not being related to Daikichi? was her mom been lying all this time thus making her the worst person ever?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cisneros posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity, how did they explain Rin not being related to Daikichi? was her mom been lying all this time thus making her the worst person ever?

I'm guessing it's one of those things where everyone assumed it was grandpa and no one really asked since the mom left so suddenly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cisneros posted:

I think it's really loving funny that someone on Crunchyroll who hasn't actually read the manga guessed exactly how it went and described it better than anyone else I've seen has(even if it isn't outright said in the manga, it's very much implied):

quote:

Note: I haven't read the manga, so this is pure guessing, however I mention a few things from the latest episode.

I don't believe that Daikichi's grandfather is really Rin's father, for a couple reasons:

- The age: he'd be about 72-73 when Rin was conceived. While there's definitely stories of older fathers out there, he must be shooting lots of blanks at that age
- The mother's age: After the last episode, while we don't have an exact age for Rin's mom, she looks like she's in her late 20s at the latest, which means she was in her early 20s when Rin was conceived. I can't see how a man old enough to be her great grandfather would be able to get into her pants, unless ALOT of alcohol was involved.
- From what little we've seen about the grandfather, I just can't see Rin's mom being his type; she seems like a total bitch while he seemed to be a kindly old man.

What I believe happened:

Rin's mom probably got knocked up by her boyfriend at the time, who split before/after finding out she was pregnant. Since she was the grandfather's maid at the time, she probably talked about the pregnancy to him while over at his place, mentioning how she didn't want the child, and how it would ruin her life and dreams of becoming a manga artist.

Instead of the unborn child ending up in an orphanage or worse, the grandad decided to make up a story with the mother that he was actually the father, and told her he'd raise the child himself, while she could continue to visit it while cleaning for him. The rest of the story we've seen.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

cisneros posted:

Daikichi finds out early on from his grandfather's will, but this is ommited from the story until the very end. He knew the whole time.

SpazmasterX fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 13, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Daikichi finds out early on from his grandfather's will, but this is ommited from the story until the very end. He knew the whole time.

Are you loving serious? The more I learn about this the more I hate the author. It's like she made a checklist for What Can I Do To Make This as Stupid As Possible. I haven't actually sat down and read it all the way through I quit when I found out what happens, I think chapter 35 is about when I dropped it, I skimmed some and the rest I've just learned from reading here and various other places.

Whatever, the anime is great and I'm just filing the rest of it away with the first Matrix movie, pre-accident Stephen King, the X-files, the original Star Wars Movies and all sorts of other things I love that ended up turning awful. :(

DarthJon
Apr 22, 2006
So you guys have heard of the Thornbirds right?

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

DarthJon posted:

I actually was thinking of the Thornbirds when I was first spoiled for the endings. I always found that story pretty gross as well, and wondered why it seemed like I was the only one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DarthJon posted:

What exactly excuses it in Usagi Drop just because it's been done before.

DarthJon
Apr 22, 2006
I think there are also a lot of trashy romance novels with this plot as well

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So what do you guys think about the last few chapters of Marmalade Boy, where they tackle a similar issue?

DarthJon
Apr 22, 2006
although regarding Usagi drop, is the issue purely that girl ends up with the man that was essentially her father, or that you thing it's handled in the creepy Oniichan way? I think you kind of have to take it in the trashy romance novel kind of way

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Could the concept work in a story? Sure, I suppose it both could and has, as distasteful as I might find it. In this particular story though it seems to come with out any foreshadowing, is revealed and explored in a ham-fisted way in a story that up until the end was a straight forward but well written look at a father/daughter relationship and their growth as a family.

If it had been a trashy romance novel I doubt I would have bothered to read it, nor given a poo poo about the ending.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The thing is, for all intents and purposes Rin was Daikichi's daughter. That was how they both saw each other. Indeed, it was the basis for their entire relationship for most of Rin's life.

Maybe if Rin had had a mother figure (like Kouki's mom) she wouldn't have gotten so hosed up in the head. So really, the true villain of Usagi Drop is Kouki's mom.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also that he knew from the start she wasn't his blood relative, and it's only revealed in the second to last loving chapter.

Ham-fisted barely begins to describe it, and that's ignoring that it comes out of nowhere as the loving series finale. There is no other leadup that can't be written off as innocent(until you've read the finale). It looked to me like she didn't want to do the story anymore and just threw it in the toilet to end it as quickly as possible. Or she's just creepy, which is also entirely possible.

edit: no, the true villain of Usagi Drop is Daikichi's hesitation in going after Kouki's mom early on!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Serious Frolicking posted:

So really, the true villain of Usagi Drop is Kouki's mom.

I cannot, cannot quote this hard enough.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Okay jesus loving christ you guys are overreacting like hell to that ending.

Is it poorly written and somewhat creepy? Yes. Is it anywhere near the level of, say, That Anime? God no. Hell, I don't even think the ending ruins the manga, it's literally two chapters out of a significantly larger amount and it's really the only thing the manga did wrong.

And it most certainly should not be treated as a reason not to read the manga or watch the anime. It especially shouldn't be used as a reason not to watch similar series, because seriously that is all kinds of loving dumb.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
She literally marries her dad and is all "well i know you'll be a good dad to our kid because you were a good dad to me!"

That is pretty weird yo!!

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

WickedIcon posted:

Is it poorly written and somewhat creepy? Yes. Is it anywhere near the level of, say, That Anime? God no. Hell, I don't even think the ending ruins the manga, it's literally two chapters out of a significantly larger amount and it's really the only thing the manga did wrong.

And it most certainly should not be treated as a reason not to read the manga or watch the anime. It especially shouldn't be used as a reason not to watch similar series, because seriously that is all kinds of loving dumb.

Now you have me curious. What is That Anime? I can't think of any other show with a more disappointing ending than Usagi Drop.

Also, I don't think anyone was using this series as a deterrent to other series like it. Hell, others have even recommended a very similar series (My Girl) in order to wash out the awful after taste.

I'd also like to know if there's been any backlash in Japan. I couldn't find anything on Google about it in Japan.

musouka
Apr 24, 2009

Mad Lupine posted:

I'd also like to know if there's been any backlash in Japan. I couldn't find anything on Google about it in Japan.

I haven't checked 2ch or anything, but the reviews on Amazon are mixed. Still mostly positive, but with a lot more one and two star reviews than the earlier volumes. For the same reason outlined here, of course. A lot of outrage that Daikichi actually went with the flow and entered a romantic relationship with Rin.

As for Usagi Drop acting as a deterrent...I know I've held off on getting the latest volume of a series I've otherwise enjoyed because the cover obi started crowing about the high schooler getting "jealous" over the elementary school age girl's interpersonal relationships with other boys. (It started out a cute series about a little girl who dreams of becoming a baseball player and her crush on the older brother of one of her classmates.)

musouka fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 15, 2011

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
Luckily I read the good part and enjoyed it before all this was revealed, that why I'm kinda ok with the weird nonintervention policy the anime thread has.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

Because how DARE we have opinions about a show that are formed as a result of a sudden and badly done cop out?!

When we ride, we run right off that cliff based on the first five episodes and nothing else!

Hey, it's more or less how Gonzo has stayed solvent for as long as it has!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Because how DARE we have opinions about a show that are formed as a result of a sudden and badly done cop out?!

When we ride, we run right off that cliff based on the first five episodes and nothing else!

Hey, it's more or less how Gonzo has stayed solvent for as long as it has!

:ughh:

So because I don't think the ending is worthy of the constant bitching and threadshitting that happens whenever Usagi Drop is brought up, I suddenly support the exact opposite extreme! Good job, you've managed to either completely miss my point or deliberately ignore it! :downsbravo:

And yes, I do think it is pretty weird. It's also really poorly written and inarguably the low point of the series. That does not make it literally Hitler.

When I said that people are using it as an excuse to poo poo on similar shows, I was referring to this little gem from the Ikoku Meiro no Croisee thread:

AnacondaHL posted:

Sorry, after Usagi Drop I don't trust shows like this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Stop putting words in people's mouths. Nobody said it was LITERALLY HITLER. You're getting outraged in this thread about things people are saying in other threads, which is all fine and dandy, but stop acting like it's specifically us who are saying that, because nobody's posts in this thread have. I've actually gone on to begin reading My Girl and will soon finally give Beelzebub a shot after reading UD.

And I have, in fact, been recommending Usagi Drop to a lot of people regardless. I just tell them that about a half dozen chapters before the end, the author decided to ruin the series, and that "you'll know when it starts and you'll probably want to stop reading at that point because it's downhill from there".

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 15, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Has anyone ran across anything new and good to read or watch lately? All the things I've been reading are either over (LoveCom, Octave, Kare Kano, Honey & Clover), or I'm caught up with (Aoi Hana, Kimi ni Todoke, Sasameki Koto, Good Ending). There's obviously years and years of thing to read and watch so specifically I'm looking for a new and promising series that I might be interested in.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 15, 2011

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Despite only having 6 chapters, I really like Trinity Seven.

The main character is refreshing in that he's so calm yet snarky. And everyone else is so chillax about the topic of perverted stuff (Except Lilith, which is hilarious because she's the only person doing this)

edit: It's Love Hina level of ecchi I guess, but the main character's lack of :supaburn: to it tones it down.

Tae fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 15, 2011

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tae posted:

The main character is refreshing in that he's so calm yet snarky. And everyone else is so chillax about the topic of perverted stuff (Except Lilith, which is hilarious because she's the only person doing this)

edit: It's Love Hina level of ecchi I guess, but the main character's lack of :supaburn: to it tones it down.

Dude accidentally recreates his hometown that was destroyed. Then chapter 2 comes along, and they get rid of all that in favor of a high school setting. It is like the guy had a halfway decent idea for a manga, then decided to go for the proven (wretched) standard formula of harem manga.

Also, how is that even remotely shoujo?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh, I thought this was all romance stuff. Sorry about that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tae posted:

Oh, I thought this was all romance stuff. Sorry about that.

Well, I guess it is technically romance. Still, harem love comedies aren't generally considered as such. Because, well, the emphasis is on fanservice more than any aspect of the plot.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

I did create the thread with shoujo AND general romance in mind. After all, Good Ending is shounen and I wanted a place to bitch about how dumb the characters can be.

Edit: Having just read it, I'm not really seeing it as any sort of romance series, just harem. Fun series though.

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Aug 16, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

WickedIcon posted:

:ughh:

So because I don't think the ending is worthy of the constant bitching and threadshitting that happens whenever Usagi Drop is brought up, I suddenly support the exact opposite extreme! Good job, you've managed to either completely miss my point or deliberately ignore it! :downsbravo:

And yes, I do think it is pretty weird. It's also really poorly written and inarguably the low point of the series. That does not make it literally Hitler.

When I said that people are using it as an excuse to poo poo on similar shows, I was referring to this little gem from the Ikoku Meiro no Croisee thread:

Welcome to the magical world of opinions. In this magical universe, Opinions can be formed, can be rather drastically different from it's original state and can be used to base opinions on new things!

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Tae posted:

Hah, this is actually pretty funny.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That My Girl manga suggested a few pages back is really good. Sure it's fluff compaired to early Usagi Drop but it's good fluff.

That and I absolutely loved the way they ended the Pregnancy Scare arc. That was the prefect solution to that.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I just rewatched all of Clannad over the last three days since it first came out.

I don't know why I didn't remember it as much as I did, but man did it wreck me all over again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You know, I never thought I'd feel more awkward and think it's more fake when two characters from the beginning have a relationship, compared to the previous that was formed randomly.

Well done, Kimi No Iru Machi :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy moly, My Girl is a loving rollercoaster of :smith: and :unsmith:. I finally started really reading it, I'm on chapter 14 and Jesus Christ. Is it monthly? Bimonthly? How often does it come out, it says it was released in 2007 but there's only 24 chapters up, did the group translating it drop it?

I was told it's like Usagi Drop, but it really isn't. It's cute but it's a hell of a lot more depressing as it goes.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 19, 2011