Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy moly, My Girl is a loving rollercoaster of :smith: and :unsmith:. I finally started really reading it, I'm on chapter 14 and Jesus Christ. Is it monthly? Bimonthly? How often does it come out, it says it was released in 2007 but there's only 24 chapters up, did the group translating it drop it?

I was told it's like Usagi Drop, but it really isn't. It's cute but it's a hell of a lot more depressing as it goes.

Apparently the manga is 5 volumes and already completed, from what I garnered. The group is just translating it slowly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Holy moly, My Girl is a loving rollercoaster of :smith: and :unsmith:. I finally started really reading it, I'm on chapter 14 and Jesus Christ. Is it monthly? Bimonthly? How often does it come out, it says it was released in 2007 but there's only 24 chapters up, did the group translating it drop it?

I was told it's like Usagi Drop, but it really isn't. It's cute but it's a hell of a lot more depressing as it goes.

My Girl, and let's be clear that I'm not putting it down in any way, strikes me as using the whole raising a kid thing to focus on regret/and or longing of the past (IE: Youko, Shuu's parents, even Masamune's folks to a degree) and insecurities about the future (The pregnancy scare and Youko's actions) rather than making any real focus on parenting beyond a surface level.
:goonsay:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I'm seeing that now that I'm on chapter 23, there's a whole lot of drama and not as much parenting/family antics like you would see in Usagi Drop's first half or Yotsuba.

It's still damned good though. Maybe not as good as pre-43 Usagi Drop was or Yotsuba consistently is, but it's still excellent and adorable. Also his dad reminds me of Suguru from Mahoromatic, but with a ridiculous moustache.

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

arisu posted:

I just rewatched all of Clannad over the last three days since it first came out.

I don't know why I didn't remember it as much as I did, but man did it wreck me all over again.

Amen to that. Clannad is an awesome series. Anyone know if "After Story" is currently or ever will be dubbed?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Dan7el posted:

Amen to that. Clannad is an awesome series. Anyone know if "After Story" is currently or ever will be dubbed?

Seems like it has been. Quick check on amazon pulled this up:

http://www.amazon.com/Clannad-After-Story-Complete-Collection/dp/B004JST21W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313797335&sr=8-1

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

Dan7el posted:

Dub is on Netflix instant.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Clannad actually had a Blu-Ray release announced, don't know if it's out yet. After Story might not be too far off.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Newest chapter of Good Ending is...guy solving things rationally? Whuh?

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head
I don't understand how anyone can read Good Ending past the chapter where they hold hands on a bench in the middle of the night. I stopped reading after that because I knew the author was just going to poo poo over that moment in the future, and I was tired of being jerked around with borderline NTR bullshit.

I did the same thing with Kimi no Iru Machi. I stopped at the chapter where they both walk into the night talking about their vacation. It actually felt like a conclusion (because I ignored that stupid teacher part).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It had that standard few chapters where he went totally depressed because of a certain event, but he solved it now in a mature way and decided "gently caress it, that didn't change a drat thing about my feelings about you."

Kimi no Iru Machi on the other hand, hooooly poo poo. I have never seen the things it has done in a story to troll readers so hard.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I know it's pretty old, but I just finished reading Basara, after starting probably 10 years ago (I had the anime fansubs on VHS... yep). That was a good read, the entire last battle arc is really good. I'd stayed away from finishing it for so long because I thought it would be constant "will they find out who each other are" till the very end and the series was pretty long, but I thought the reveal was really well done. Also a nice, satisfying ending followed by a bunch of character one-shots that I haven't finished with yet. I've had 7Seeds on my reading list for awhile, so I'll have to check that out soon.

For anyone who hasn't heard of it, Basara is the story of a girl who takes over for her twin brother as the "child of destiny" in an attempt to rebel against the current emperor and his family. The setting is post-apocalyptic desert Japan. Some of the characters and stuff are goofy but I had a great time reading it.

I was skimming through early chapters and found this hilarious:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Black Stones thinks that they can't gently caress up Usagi Drop's anime since there's only three episodes left. As the anime thread is a no-manga-allowed zone, I'm responding to it here:

The Black Stones posted:

I don't know why people still think this is going to happen. There is 2 episodes left. If they were going to have gone for the manga's ending they would have prepared for it by now.
It's very easy! In the last five minutes of the last episode, it cuts to adult Rin and Daikichi married and looking at photo albums, remembering the old days.

Presto, ruined anime to go along with a ruined manga.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Don't give them ideas. :mad:
While I have pretty much that exact scenario in mind when I think about the remaining episodes, I remain hopeful that it will end right where chapter 24 of the manga ends.

In other misc Shoujo and Romance news:
Kimi ni Todoke is on hiatus til October. :(

Kimi no Iru Machi annoyed me too much to keep reading. Thanks(?) for introducing me to the phrase NTR, now at least I know what to call that sort of thing when it happens. I'm still reading Good Ending despite it doing a lot of the same things that annoyed me with Kimi no Iru Machi, I guess I have a secret need to be jerked around by at least one author.

Sasameki Koto is ending soon and the best scanners/translators for it are still way behind its release since they only do it when the bound volumes come out, rather than the magazine version. It's been all over the place in tone and pacing during its run, overall I still really like it though, and it seems like it should have a decent ending. Even if I do hate when romance stories end basically right when the couple gets together, which by the way, hasn't even happened yet:arghfist::sigh:, but the way it's progressing it seems like it will end with "yay, we're finally together!!""maybe a time skip to see them in the future for a page or two"

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 5, 2011

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

It's very easy! In the last five minutes of the last episode, it cuts to adult Rin and Daikichi married and looking at photo albums, remembering the old days.

Really though, that would be going out of their way just to get to that drat ending. I think they probably have an inkling of how the manga ending has been received. Even if they did something like what you claim, they don't even need to indicate that They're married. They can simply show a grown up Rin and Daikichi going through photo albums talking about when she was young. No mention of marriage or anything. Just reminiscing

There, bam. You've still got the character aged, but the anime doesn't go to the manga's hosed up levels and it's up to interpretation. Think what you want.

I just think that they've handled things pretty well at this point that they're not going to go out of their way to gently caress it up. I could be incredibly wrong, but I'm going to remain optimistic about it rather than go "OH MY GOD THE ENDING! OH MY GOD WHAT ABOUT THE ENDING!? WHEN WILL THE BOMB BE DROPPED!?!?" every week.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

The Black Stones thinks that they can't gently caress up Usagi Drop's anime since there's only three episodes left. As the anime thread is a no-manga-allowed zone, I'm responding to it here:

Yeah, that seems stupidly unlikely. If they ARE going to expand on the series, they're going to give it another season. They won't do a bombshell LOOK AT THIS in the last five minutes. The series will either end in the first part, or it'll get renewed for another season, but that scenario just sounds so silly.

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Captain Invictus posted:

Sorry a bad ending doesn't ruin the manga, its just a good manga with a bad ending.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Normally I'd agree but Usagi Drop's ending is kind of...more than just "bad".

Kweh
Jul 20, 2006

ROYAL
STRAIGHT
FLUSH

Nate RFB posted:

Normally I'd agree but Usagi Drop's ending is kind of...more than just "bad".

While I agree the ending was really dumb, it still doesn't take anything away from the rest of the story.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've liked so many books, movies, tv shows, bands and authors over the years that started out amazing and ended up turning to poo poo that I think I'm finally over the stupid, terrible ending for Usagi Drop. The first half of the story (24 whole chapters of it) is super good and the anime is, in all likelihood, going to end right there. I know not everyone feels the same way, and that's cool too, but I personally am done even worrying about it.

I do have a question about a series though! Are Clannad and/or Kanon good enough to merit me watching them even though I really can't stand the character designs? I've got a pretty high tolerance for ~anime~ but, the faces in that really bother me, they look like god drat bugs or something.

Meanwhile I'm going to give Hanbun No Tsuki ga Noboru Sora a look. A series that's set in a hospital with a dying female lead will surely be nothing but kittens and rainbows. :smithicide:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

a kitten posted:

I do have a question about a series though! Are Clannad and/or Kanon good enough to merit me watching them even though I really can't stand the character designs? I've got a pretty high tolerance for ~anime~ but, the faces in that really bother me, they look like god drat bugs or something.
I think so. It's less the character designs that will bother you honestly (just be glad this isn't the original Kanon anime or the pre-CLANNAD games we're talking about), but rather the direction, themes, and tropes that Key constantly go for in their stories. Some people will undoubtedly roll their eyes at them, or not care for the characters as much as Key is hoping for which would have a profound effect on the impact of the way the plots play out.

Anyway, Kanon 2006 is pretty good, but CLANNAD in particular I felt was exceptional. I would go as far as to say that it was one of the best anime romance stories of the 2000-2010 decade. After Story (the second season) really stands out, and in fact I feel the CLANNAD anime is overall one of the few cases where the anime adaptation surpasses the original visual novel.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

Clannad and Kanon are pretty hit or miss with people. They're a huge hit with me, Clannad being one of my top 5 favorite anime, but I can see where people wouldn't like them.

If you find yourself able to appreciate bittersweet stories, you will probably like it, and even moreso if you have the ability to overlook some really cheesy plot points (supernatural stuff exists in these worlds). I really love them though, so they're some of my favorites (I actually didn't like Air that much though).

I don't see where the character designs are much different than most other anime, at least not in the KyoAni versions, but that's not a point for me to make. I will say, that the background art in these shows (especially Kanon) is incredible, and even 5 years later when I see the high-def version I'm still in awe. But if the character designs really bother you, then I suppose you'll have to watch a few episodes to see if you can stand it.

I recommend jumping into Kanon first. I liked Clannad more overall (again, one of my favorite shows of all time), but it's more of an investment (really the payoff of that series doesnt happen until the incredible second season, even though the first is still very enjoyable). If you like the style of humor in the show (and there is a lot of amazingly well written humor), then I think you should be able to get along with them. And again, to this day I'm still in awe with the scenic art in Kanon.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 5, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Right on, thanks. I'll probably just jump into Clannad since it seems to be pretty highly regarded overall.

And to be honest I have no idea why these particular faces seem to bother me when, as you said they're really not markedly different from a ton of other shows. v:confused:v Hopefully that just means that it won't actually bother me once I start watching, my weird distaste for them is based entirely on screencaps and the like.

Edit: yeah after the first episode of Clannad, whatever it is that bothered me about their faces isn't going to be an issue. Glad you convinced me to give it a look.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 5, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus, it wasn't serious or I EXPECT IT TO END THIS WAY DEFINITELY. It was meant to be absurd. I absolutely think that if they mention the timeskip at all it'll be like what was suggested by Black Stone.

And yeah Kweh, Usagi Drop's ending did sour the rest of it for a lot of people. Now when I suggest it to people I just tell them to stop reading at chapter 43.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Kweh posted:

While I agree the ending was really dumb, it still doesn't take anything away from the rest of the story.

It did for me. I could hold out until around episode 5 before it got sour.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Kweh posted:

The thing is -- an ending is ultimately a critical element of the story. When people say "the ending is bad", they don't mean the Last Page is a point that ruins it. It means that the plot revelations with regards to the direction of the author was aiming, and where characters were projected, basically sucked in retrospect.

It's like having some kind of supernatural mystery and then having the mystery be revealed 3/4 of the way through to be the work of "THE JEWS" or something; You can maybe pretend the first 3/4 are okay, but in retrospect the author's obsession with "evil yarmulkes" makes sense and kind of sours the whole work, you know?

Plus a whole fourth of the story is rather a lot.

Syng
Jul 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has there been a thread for Chi's Sweet Home? I have archives, but not search so if someone could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
Here's a link if anyone is interested in checking Chi out http://www.mangafox.com/manga/chii_s_sweet_home/
MangaFox lists it as Seinen, but I had a hard time finding anything like that when I was reading through it. This is definitely more girly than anything else.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've seen a bunch of the animated shorts for that, hadn't even considered that it might be based on a manga. I'm assuming it's classified as seinen simply because of the magazine that it runs in, rather than its content, which is pretty much just cute and funny.

A lot, maybe all of the anime episodes are up on youtube if you haven't seen them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0hwNQKUf8

Has anyone picked up or read the US release of Wandering Son? Everything I've read about it seems like it should be a great translation, I just haven't gotten around to grabbing a copy yet. And how come France gets an offical translation of Aoi Hana but we don't? That's just not fair.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Amazon Delivered Sailor V volume 1 today. They're saying that they won't be able to ship Sailor Moon Volume 1 until next month so that suggests one of two things; Sailor Moon is selling like mad and Kodansha can't keep up, or they're arsing about.

I hope it's the former.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you haven't watched the Usagi Drop anime yet, I suggest doing so. It's exceptionally well done, completely disregards the timeskip and manga ending, and is cute as a button.

(*' 3 '*)

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

If you haven't watched the Usagi Drop anime yet, I suggest doing so. It's exceptionally well done, completely disregards the timeskip and manga ending, and is cute as a button.

(*' 3 '*)

Yep. Good to know my thoughs about how it'd end were pretty much right on the money.

jhennauchan
Apr 21, 2010

ConanThe3rd posted:

Amazon Delivered Sailor V volume 1 today. They're saying that they won't be able to ship Sailor Moon Volume 1 until next month so that suggests one of two things; Sailor Moon is selling like mad and Kodansha can't keep up, or they're arsing about.

I hope it's the former.

My Sailor Moon Volume 1 and Sailor V Volume 1 both came on the 12th. I pre-ordered, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Let's hope they're selling like crazy, cause I want a faster release schedule by golly.

Kula Bocca
Jan 11, 2006

After the White House what is there to do but drink?

a kitten posted:

Has anyone picked up or read the US release of Wandering Son? Everything I've read about it seems like it should be a great translation, I just haven't gotten around to grabbing a copy yet. And how come France gets an offical translation of Aoi Hana but we don't? That's just not fair.

I bought a copy - I was a little wary, because while I liked the Drunken Dream book Fantagraphics put out, I wasn't a fan of the binding, and I wasn't quite sure about investing in a series that would cost twice as much as if Viz or Vertical published it, but the book looks great and I really enjoy it a lot. It's probably the most sensitive treatment of puberty I've seen in a manga, not to mention the most thoughtful treatment of trans issues.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh cool, I'm very glad to hear that it's a good version, I would probably buy it even if it somehow turned out to be a terrible printing though, because it's the only way I have to give money to the author for something I can actually read. I absolutely adore Shimura's writing and artwork in both her series that I read, to the point that I followed her on twitter because she frequently posts little sketches and doodles on there.

I love how she took two pretty ridiculous anime/manga concepts:
1) He wants to be a girl, she wants to be a boy! Gender bending hijinks are sure to ensue! :haw:
2) Students at two female-only high schools may be developing feelings for each other. :haw:

and wrote and drew stories that are sweet, sad, heartbreaking, nuanced and sensitive.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 17, 2011

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

a kitten posted:

I'd say pick it up as soon as you can. Just about everything about the first volume is of fantastic quality. Hell, it's better quality than any of the imported manga I have, which are already very nicely put-together.

But yeah. Wandering Son is probably my favorite manga of all time. I actually have to admit, when I first started getting into Shimura Takako's works, I was surprised to find out she wasn't trans herself because of just how right she got the feeling of being born the wrong sex.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

jhennauchan posted:

My Sailor Moon Volume 1 and Sailor V Volume 1 both came on the 12th. I pre-ordered, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Let's hope they're selling like crazy, cause I want a faster release schedule by golly.

I preordered as well (amazon.co.uk) so I dunno if the UK just got the shaft on this one.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just finished episode 15 of Clannad and so far I'm definitely enjoying it. In some ways I feel like I can clearly see the strings that Key is yanking on to get me to feel certain ways, but in spite of that it's still pretty emotionally engaging. Okazaki isn't particularly compelling as a male lead, but I'm not sure if that's because he's deliberately left mostly blank because he is a VN lead and is supposed to be a stand in for the reader, or is just really good at hiding himself for reasons that will eventually be revealed, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Fuko showing up like a short, clumsy magical girl and (not) helping a couple times has been pretty funny. It'll be interesting to see where they go with her, even though I was told there was supernatural elements in the story, I was a bit surprised by how prominent it's been.

Also, around episode 11 or so it suddenly dawned on me that at some point in the past I learned a really gigantic plot point from After Story. Not being a person who freaks out about spoilers that doesn't bother me, but it sure does throw some interesting emotions into the mix while watching.

Is there anything at all this fall 2011 season that is shoujo or romance at all? Nothing leaps out at me, definitely nothing I can see along the lines of KnT, LoveCom, Paradise Kiss or anything like those at all.
e: oh wait Chihayafuru might be interesting.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 25, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I actually feel that Tomoya is a pretty well developed character as far as VN leads go, mostly because of After Story though. To the point where I find playing the VN to be weird now since you never see his face and he doesn't have Yuichi Nakamura voicing him.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

e: oh wait Chihayafuru might be interesting.

The Chihayafuru manga is really good and even if you don't understand everything it teaches you enough to be able to grasp the basics of whats going on and enjoy it. Definitely gonna be worth it.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

Fuko showing up like a short, clumsy magical girl and (not) helping a couple times has been pretty funny. It'll be interesting to see where they go with her, even though I was told there was supernatural elements in the story, I was a bit surprised by how prominent it's been.

To be fair to Clannad, outside of the Fuko storyline there isn't a whole lot of supernatural elements to the show (well, one other storyline mostly but it's that of a minor character).

I was mostly talking about Kanon when I wrote about that, where the supernatural stuff is freaking everywhere.

And yeah, After Story really fleshes Tomoya out more as a character. In the first season he's mostly defined by two traits. 1) Being nice to the girls and 2) being a dick to Sunohara. Dick Tomoya is the best Tomoya though.

Glad you're enjoying the show though. I can't wait until you get far into After Story. That's where the real plot of Clannad takes place.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

arisu posted:

To be fair to Clannad, outside of the Fuko storyline there isn't a whole lot of supernatural elements to the show (well, one other storyline mostly but it's that of a minor character).

And yeah, After Story really fleshes Tomoya out more as a character. In the first season he's mostly defined by two traits. 1) Being nice to the girls and 2) being a dick to Sunohara. Dick Tomoya is the best Tomoya though.

Glad you're enjoying the show though. I can't wait until you get far into After Story. That's where the real plot of Clannad takes place.

I don't know if I'd say the supernatural elements of Clannad are not a major part of the storyline -- if you take both seasons as a whole. Have you wondered about the robot and the girl all alone that we see in the beginning of many of the episodes? Who are they and why are we seeing them?

Even in the first season Nagisa mentions that she "dreames" of some girl all alone in some world -- I can't remember if there is the robot or not in her dreams. She talks about it in her monologue-acting.

We find out who the robot and girl are and how they fit in with the overall story at the end of the After Story -- and I would have to say that whole thing is *very* super natural.

The whole Fuku thing is fun and probably shows that, "Hey, funky supernatural things *do* happen here. If something even stranger happens, you were prepared...."

Really, though. Clannad is good. After Story is incredible. This is one of my favorite anime ever.