Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

musouka posted:

As long as we're dropping recommendations, I have to give one out for 7 Seeds. It's by the author of BASARA (another one you should buy and read) and starts off as a mysterious wilderness survival with horror elements and until the scope gradually expands.

7 Seeds is what I came to recommend. When I read Basara I had a hard time getting used to the art but once I did, I could put Basara as one of my favorites. 7 Seeds is even better - the author is creating and exploring a terrific post-apocalypse world and characters. I cried like a baby near the end of volume 4, but then I did stay up all night to read it... This is a series that can be rather adult and non-romantic but still is shoujo/josei.

Bride of the Water God is another favorite of mine and is a manhwa. Very romantic and the most beautiful artwork. I think it has my favorite artwork. Lots of gods, goddesses, betrayal, intrigue, etc.

Edit: A high school story that's in the vein of others mentioned is Dengeki Daisy. From Manga Updates: After orphan Teru Kurebayashi loses her beloved older brother, she finds solace in the messages she exchanges with Daisy, an enigmatic figure who can only be reached through the cell phone her brother left her. Meanwhile, mysterious Tasuku Kurosaki always seems to be around whenever Teru needs help… Could Daisy be a lot closer than Teru thinks?

So the storyline is a little original but lends itself to melodramatic-ness and writing that makes me roll my eyes sometimes. I do like the art. There was a bunch of internet hub-bub about the gender of the mangaka, as the art and story were slightly masculine (?) and she drew herself with a mustache at one point but she was seen in real life recently and proven female.

Another manga I enjoyed but don't hear much of is Gokusen which is a josei story about a yakuza teacher at a delinquent high school. I've read criticisms about the artwork but I never had a problem.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Well I'm bored so I'm going to comment on some shoujo. I go to mangaupdates.com for suggestions to read. I search for romance shoujo and these are some of the higher rated manga that I've read for better or worse and that haven't been mentioned yet:

Savage Garden is a manhwa. The manhwaga is slowly working through all the different cliches with her stories. She's done twins obsessed/in love with each, teacher and student seduction, and this is the girl-disguised-as-boy in a boy's dorm. For some reason it's really popular. It takes place in 19th century Britain. I like her artwork. The story is almost done.

Cat Street is an older one that is pretty enjoyable about a bunch of social outcasts.

Love So Life is very adorable and very shoujo. Not much has been translated and it's a bit light on having an actual story. It has two cute toddlers and is about their high school babysitter.

Kanata Kara starts like Fushigi Yuugi - a modern girl falls into a different world and has to deal with the people. But it's better in my opinion. I wasn't able to get half way through FY but I finished this.

Kamisama Hajimemashita is about a high school girl who becomes the god of a small shrine. Her love interest is the shrine's familiar. It's been getting a little boring but overall it's cute.

Strobe Edge - ugh I have no idea why this is so highly rated. The girl looks like she's in preschool. The plot just dithers around and the male lead is pretty boring. But it's a good example of very typical high school shoujo romance with triangles and unrequited love and bad execution. I re-read it recently thinking I was remembering wrong but no, it is boring except for a couple cute moments.

Beast Master is by the same mangaka who is doing Dengeki Daisy which I mentioned in an earlier post. It's only two volumes. It's about a guy who comes to high school after living in the wild all his life and the girl who "tames" him. It's actually pretty light on the romance.

Has Tokyo Crazy Paradise been mentioned? Out of this list of manga that is highly rated on mangaupdates, this probably deserves it the most. It's set in future Japan and is about a girl fighting crime in all sorts of ways. She's pretty bad rear end:

It's by the same mangaka who is doing Skip Beat, in case anyone didn't know.

So this is a taste of what the typical shoujo reader likes. While there isn't anything excellent except TCP, it does give a variety of art styles. I just realized that most of them are high school centric but they are still pretty different from each other. Yes, I've wasted countless hours on mediocre reading but manga is something I can read at work and still look like I'm busy working. :shobon:

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

a kitten posted:

I'm glad it's licenced too, I have this weird thing where I like giving money to the creators of things that I like, without ,for example, importing books from overseas that I cant' read. Amazon must be loving me lately.

http://www.bookcloseouts.com/ has a limited selection but they are cheap. I recently bought a handful of Goong books for $4 each. I search by publishing company, like Yen Press or Tokyopop.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

New chapter of 7 Seeds - first chapter of volume 12.
The Summer A team and the sailboat! I think this will be a good volume.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anything out yet along the lines of Nana or Paradise Kiss?

If you liked the naive girl, mysterious guy, and fashion angle in Paradise Kiss, The One is about a girl making it in the fashion world. The story isn't as good. But that's been out for a while so you might have heard of it.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'll check it out. Is it from Ai Yazawa? Is there any anime?

I completely forgot but Ai Yazawa has a prequel to Paradise Kiss! You would probably like it. http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=358
http://somemangas.com/manga/Gokinjo_Monogatari/
It's about the older sister of one of the characters in Paradise Kiss.

The One is from Taiwan and I don't believe there's an anime.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

New chapters of Bride of the Water God and 7 Seeds are out. In 7 Seeds, the girl in the coma woke up.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

LadySage posted:

Really good, but has a frustrating nonending for those of us who haven't read the manga.

The manga is pretty good at not answering things. I've been reading Skip Beat off and on and I think it's been years in real life since the main girl gave the main guy a birthday gift and we don't know what it is, unless I missed something.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Strobe Edge is completely finished now, including two extras. As Kusaru said above, it isn't that great but the second extra was really cute - it left me with a warm fuzzy feeling. It's about Manabu, a side character - he grows up a little :3: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/strobe_edge/v10/c038/2.html

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

The new Kimi ne Todoke chapter is out and it's so cute I had to tell someone. I don't know where you can read it online but I downloaded it here: http://z6.invisionfree.com/Mango_Scans/index.php?showtopic=78&st=0

I can not wait until the next chapter!!

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

New chapter of Kimi ni Todoke
http://somemanga.com/manga/Kimi_Ni_Todoke/58/

Ack, the whole chapter covers about 15 minutes. And it's definitely a shoujo chapter - lots of feelings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Yes, it's nice that they aren't talking too much about their feelings and that the artist can depict what's going on without words. I think Strobe Edge is an example where the character talked about her feelings and it was awkward enough that I skipped those descriptions.