Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've liked so many books, movies, tv shows, bands and authors over the years that started out amazing and ended up turning to poo poo that I think I'm finally over the stupid, terrible ending for Usagi Drop. The first half of the story (24 whole chapters of it) is super good and the anime is, in all likelihood, going to end right there. I know not everyone feels the same way, and that's cool too, but I personally am done even worrying about it.

I do have a question about a series though! Are Clannad and/or Kanon good enough to merit me watching them even though I really can't stand the character designs? I've got a pretty high tolerance for ~anime~ but, the faces in that really bother me, they look like god drat bugs or something.

Meanwhile I'm going to give Hanbun No Tsuki ga Noboru Sora a look. A series that's set in a hospital with a dying female lead will surely be nothing but kittens and rainbows. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Right on, thanks. I'll probably just jump into Clannad since it seems to be pretty highly regarded overall.

And to be honest I have no idea why these particular faces seem to bother me when, as you said they're really not markedly different from a ton of other shows. v:confused:v Hopefully that just means that it won't actually bother me once I start watching, my weird distaste for them is based entirely on screencaps and the like.

Edit: yeah after the first episode of Clannad, whatever it is that bothered me about their faces isn't going to be an issue. Glad you convinced me to give it a look.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 5, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've seen a bunch of the animated shorts for that, hadn't even considered that it might be based on a manga. I'm assuming it's classified as seinen simply because of the magazine that it runs in, rather than its content, which is pretty much just cute and funny.

A lot, maybe all of the anime episodes are up on youtube if you haven't seen them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO0hwNQKUf8

Has anyone picked up or read the US release of Wandering Son? Everything I've read about it seems like it should be a great translation, I just haven't gotten around to grabbing a copy yet. And how come France gets an offical translation of Aoi Hana but we don't? That's just not fair.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh cool, I'm very glad to hear that it's a good version, I would probably buy it even if it somehow turned out to be a terrible printing though, because it's the only way I have to give money to the author for something I can actually read. I absolutely adore Shimura's writing and artwork in both her series that I read, to the point that I followed her on twitter because she frequently posts little sketches and doodles on there.

I love how she took two pretty ridiculous anime/manga concepts:
1) He wants to be a girl, she wants to be a boy! Gender bending hijinks are sure to ensue! :haw:
2) Students at two female-only high schools may be developing feelings for each other. :haw:

and wrote and drew stories that are sweet, sad, heartbreaking, nuanced and sensitive.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 17, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just finished episode 15 of Clannad and so far I'm definitely enjoying it. In some ways I feel like I can clearly see the strings that Key is yanking on to get me to feel certain ways, but in spite of that it's still pretty emotionally engaging. Okazaki isn't particularly compelling as a male lead, but I'm not sure if that's because he's deliberately left mostly blank because he is a VN lead and is supposed to be a stand in for the reader, or is just really good at hiding himself for reasons that will eventually be revealed, I'm leaning towards the latter.

Fuko showing up like a short, clumsy magical girl and (not) helping a couple times has been pretty funny. It'll be interesting to see where they go with her, even though I was told there was supernatural elements in the story, I was a bit surprised by how prominent it's been.

Also, around episode 11 or so it suddenly dawned on me that at some point in the past I learned a really gigantic plot point from After Story. Not being a person who freaks out about spoilers that doesn't bother me, but it sure does throw some interesting emotions into the mix while watching.

Is there anything at all this fall 2011 season that is shoujo or romance at all? Nothing leaps out at me, definitely nothing I can see along the lines of KnT, LoveCom, Paradise Kiss or anything like those at all.
e: oh wait Chihayafuru might be interesting.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 25, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SpazmasterX posted:

Hey look another chapter of this stupid rear end in a top hat's story

I've quit reading/watching better stories than this, why can't I just give up on reading this? :mad:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh hey Aoi Hana: Chapter 5 Extra just got put up on dynasty-scans. Mostly interesting for the little behind the scenes peek at the end of it. The newest actual chapter is out (I think) but hasn't been scanlated yet, hopefully that will be out soon though, it's been a while between releases.

Speaking of Takako Shimura, my copy of Wandering Son should be here Thursday, it's going to be nice to have an actual physical copy of my favorite mangaka's work to read.

Still really enjoying Clannad, I finished up the first season and an alternate path episode* and am now two episodes into After Story, like I said a bit earlier I learned a giant huge spoiler about something in this season but I don't really know details of when (seriously not kidding around giant gently caress-off spoilers:siren:)Nagisa dies during childbirth, I feel almost like I'm watching this while covering my eyes but peeking through my fingers, that's not a bad thing, it means I'm involved in the characters, but ugh I think that's going to be rough.

*which was also really good, I was glad to see how that turned out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Oh, the things I would do for that to happen.

It's not at all related to that little sketch and it doesn't do me any good since I can't read a word of it, but if you happen to be able to read Japanese her newest project is a webmanga called One Hundred Views of Awajima
http://www.poco2.jp/comic/awazima/

There's some more information about it here at Wandering Son translator's blog.
http://matt-thorn.com/wordpress/?p=522

e: found a translated version, no nico-style animated comments on that version obviously. Not that internet comments tend to be worth reading ever, but I am curious as to what people are saying on the pages of the online version.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 28, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Realism posted:

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/inochi/

This guy is a villain from the manga Inochi

Read it...he's one of the most despicable characters I've run across in a manga.

There are total of 20 chapters, only 8 are scanlated I think.

I've finished the whole series it's basically a revenge story...not much character development since the story's short. But the end payoff is pretty nice.

That's a hell of a hook. :stare: This looks like it will be really good, hopefully the translations will come out fairly quickly.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Finished watching Clannad and figured I might as well try to do a wrap up of how I felt about it.
General Clannad and After Story spoilers, starting with some of the things I really loved:
Firstly, watching how the After Story OP animation and song changed throughout the series despite not actually changing at all. Even knowing what happens to Nagisa beforehand it wasn't until just a couple episodes before Ushio's birth that it dawned on me how heartbreaking the lyrics for it were, plus the fact that they kept it even after Nagisa was gone. Awesome, A+, would cry again.

Sanae finally breaking down over the loss of her daughter after five years of holding it in when Okizaki finally decides to be Ushio's father for real and try to be a better man than he had since his wife died.

The whole father/daughter trip to the sunflower field and and finding an unexpected grandmother was executed wonderfully.

Tomoya's proposal to Nagisa was absolutely perfect; simple and heartfelt and natural. And way before that when they finally decided to start dating that was also very nice.

I loved the ending, it was hinted at (and more) as a possibility throughout the series that magic and miracles do exist, so it was great to have that pay off in the end the way that it did. Right up until the episode ended I was worried it was going to be a horrible, cruel fake out and I can't even tell you how glad it made me that it wasn't.

That actually ties into some of what I didn't like though. I feel like the way each arc was presented was too disconnected from each other. It was like, solve one problem, then the next, then the next, rather than feeling like following someone’s actual life. Compare to Honey & Clover where all the different storylines are all intertwined and at various times some of the characters are doing great and others are having a terrible time, but it's all combined into one big fairly believable group of friends, family, lovers and rivals. Here once their "quest" is over with they pretty much vanish, even if they make token appearances here and there. For me it just seemed like it misses the point that your friends/clan/tribe are also very much a part of family, and even though Kyou, Sunohara and others do pop up they don't really impact the Okizaki family life much. I guess it just feels like a missed opportunity to me.

That's probably where I feel like it faltered most of all, even though doing all those things that made all of those characters happy is exactly what made it possible for him to change fate and create a world where Nagisa (and Ushio) survive they didn't manage to really show that doing all that also should bring happiness and joy to the best of times as well as comfort and solace in the very worst of times, even without anything supernatural happening.
Maybe I was just looking for different things than it was trying to present to me.

There were a great many things and especially small moments that really resonated with me, more and more keep occurring to me as I'm trying to finalize this post, however some of the drama just felt like the author loving with me and the characters rather than something that just organically happened within the story. Obviously fiction writing is artifice, I just felt like I could see the strings, so to speak.

That's a lot of words about Clannad that I just wrote, and reading it over it seems like my opinion of it is still finalizing. Let's just say I mostly loved it, but felt it has some serious flaws that keep it from gelling as a thematically consistent work for me.

Moving on to other works Aoi Hana has another extra released, it's pretty cute.
Volume 6 Extras: Little Women-Kanako Sensei along with;
Sweet Blue Flowers ch41: Melody (Part B) which is the newest actual chapter, finishing up the two part look at what's going on with Kyouko and Kou. They are kind of a mess, but perhaps slightly less of a mess than they have been.
Lastly, the Fantagraphics printing of Wandering Son is fantastic and I'm seriously pretty bummed that we have to wait until January for volume two. :(

a kitten fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 10, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

<a bunch of stuff that pretty much sums up what I learned about the adaptation and how I feel too>
And ultimately this is why I liked After Story so much, because it was able to focus on a single story for a lengthy period of time without extra interference like in the season 1 arcs.

Once they were able to do that, it pushed this series from from "pretty good" to "I can't stop watching but I really have to go to sleep eventually and I really don't want to be all tired and sad all day at work".

Blood Nightmaster posted:

MARS yet, though. That's honestly the one series I can say where everything I ever wanted to happen in a shoujo happened.

On an earlier note I'd totally recommend High School Debut for any LoveCom fan.

New things to check out are always good to learn about, thanks!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

Kimi ni Todoke is back with chapter 60. This is the only place I find it online. Mango Scans now appears to require registration to download.

As for the chapter itself, it feels like a lot of things are going to come to a head soon. Kent/Ayane and Chizuru/Ryu probably getting resolved before the big one, that is Kazehaya/Sawako's relationship stagnating.

Thanks for finding that, ever since mangoscans made it so you have to register and post in their forums to even seen when a release is out I was curious to see where their releases would pop up next, especially since somemanga seems to be dead, dead, dead now.

Ahaha, those girls trying to recruit Ayane into the :swoon:Kent:swoon: fanclub.

Poor Ryu and Chizu :( I'm starting to really miss people being happy in this manga.

It is confirmed that that's a Red Hot Chili Peppers hat that Ryu is wearing, and that makes me smile because I still think of them as a band that I like even though they've totally sucked since 1991!

Just as an aside, itunes deciding that playing the Clannad After Story OP and Ano Hana's ED back to back is a dirty trick to play on a day when I'm already feeling kind of melancholic. :mad:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 9, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The_Frag_Man posted:

I love this series. It is the best. I think that all the characters are pretty likable :3:
I noticed that it is being officially translated. Anyone know what the quality is like?

They're on my amazon wishlist I just haven't got around to actually picking them up yet, because I'm lame. I do remember glancing through the first volume when I braved the manga isle at a Barnes and Noble and from what I saw the translation seemed good and the dialogue sounded pretty natural. The anime gets a dvd/bluray release starting in January too.

The official US trailer if you haven't seen it

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:neckbeard:

http://www.nisamerica.com/kiminitodoke

Release Date: January 2012
Genre: Romance, Friendship, Comedy, School, Slice of Life
Age Rating: Everyone
2 DVD, 2 Blu-ray disc set
Total of 12 episodes
Approximately 25 min/episode
Features original Japanese voice acting
English subtitles
Bonus Movies: Clean Opening and Ending
Premium box: 28 page, full color, hardcover art book
(approx. 11" x 7")
Art book includes character information and Sawako's most cherished memories. Get inside her head and experience the story of Volume 1 through Sawako's memories!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm crossposting this because if you haven't watched any of Makoto Shinkai's work you really probably should, it's not really shoujo but it sure as hell falls into the emotional/romance spectrum.

a kitten posted:

Crunchyroll is streaming 5 Centimeters Per Second, Voices of a Distant Star, and The Place Promised in Our Early Days for free this week since Makoto Shinkai is making an appearance at the NY Anime Festival.

Voices is only half an hour long and packs a pretty decent emotional punch for its length and is a great place to start if you're unfamiliar with his work, he made it entirely by himself and he and his wife provided the voicework for it.

If you haven't seen them and like well directed, well animated (to be fair, sometimes the faces he draws are a little weird) stories of love, loss, and longing you should definitely check them out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Another new chapter of Kuragehime is out!

If you haven't read this manga, you should start right now.

That's next! I really liked the first three episodes of the anime, but somehow managed to not keep up with it past that point. Hopefully I'll have some time soon to finish watching it and then read the manga.

In the meantime I'm re-reading and catching up with Wandering Son. The first thing I've noticed is that the Fantagraphics translation is really good, and I'm really missing it while reading the scanlated version. Second, by book two her art has improved a whole hell of a lot, not that it was bad to begin with, but still, holy crap, good job getting better at drawing Shimura. Lastly, Sasa (the super short, pig tailed girl) is awesome and hilarious and should be in the story even more than she already is.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Sarashina Chizuru is even better. She's completely out of it and it's wonderful.

It's a bit of a shame now that (post middle school spoilers for Wandering Son) they're all in different schools now we're seeing a whole lot less of her and Sasa (and annoying clingy girl). Takatsuki and Sasa live really close by each other, but apparently barely interact at all now. :(

Kimi ni Todoke 61 is out. Wow, Ayane really, really doesn't want to get close to anyone romantically and she's really adept at avoiding it. Not that I'm particularly gun-ho on stupid Kent being the one who ends up getting close to her, but it still bums me out so see her actively avoiding even the possibility of affection.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 26, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Popping in for my yearly "Has/Is Ai Yazawa (Nana, Paradise Kiss) doing anything yet"?

This is the most recent news I've heard, from a couple pages ago:

The Black Stones posted:

She's recovered from her illness but she mentioned she hasn't picked up a pen since it had happened and she just wasn't sure she'd ever return to drawing again. That was well over a year ago so things are looking slim. I'll be so depressed if she never finishes it.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I would be okay with someone else drawing if she wrote it or whatever.

Anything similar out recently (3~ years) then?

Nothing I know of that has her mix of characterization and fashion. The only thing that comes to my mind might not be quite what you're looking for, but the manga Octave has: adult characters, drama, mistakes, and the dizzying heights and horrible lows of love and life. It's not a perfect manga by any means, but overall I really enjoyed it. So, if those are some of the things you like about Ai Yazawa's works you might give it a look.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The cover and a couple inside pages for Wandering Son Vol 2 just popped up on Twitter.
http://twitpic.com/7a0p7x
http://twitpic.com/7a0pnc

Too bad it's not actually coming out until January. :sigh:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Huh, new scan group? At least new to KnT I think. They sure like their watermark.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Good Ending Chapter 105 is out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5IVuN1N6-Y

Mainly though I'm happy to see that Aoi Hana 42 is out and at long last we get to see how Fumi and Akira's relationship is going, and it's going well for the most part, but Akira still seems, perhaps understandably, a bit confused as to what her feelings really are at the end of the chapter but "It's ok, you can kiss me whenever you want" was super adorable.

Shimura really likes having her characters in plays, but that's fine I like seeing her characters in them.

Plus: D'Artagnyan :3:

Now that I've had time to mull it over a bit more, my thoughts about the chapter have changed a little.
Aoi Hana 42
Fumi is crazy, loopy, head over heals for Akira. Akira on the other hand doesn't seem like she's ever initiated a kiss and in contrast to how the chapter ends for Fumi is shown once again to be deep in thought with a vaguely sad look on her face. She seems like she likes being with Fumi, but she doesn't really seem like she loves it with anything like the intensity that Fumi does. I suspect she was going to follow up her question to Kyouko about whether she'd ever kissed anyone with a question about what it felt like emotionally. And also, of all the people to ask about that poor messed up confused Kyouko was the one she picked. (I do of course realize that she is probably the closest friend she has outside of Fumi, but talk about inadvertently opening a can of worms)

So now I don't know if Akira is just not into Fumi as much, not gay, in love but shows it in a quieter fashion or what.

So where is it going to go from here I wonder. It's not like Shimura has any problem with putting her characters into difficult emotional situations, but even with all the ups and downs this group hasn't had quite as many huge shakeups and in Wandering Son.
In conclusion Chapter 42= :3:+:ohdear:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 21, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ah cool, I'll have to give the first two a look, been needing to find some new (to me at least) josei things to read.

If anyone who reads this thread isn't watching Chihayafuru they should probably remedy that right away, it's super good with great characters and some amazing production values too. So far I've managed to avoid letting myself sneak a look at the manga to see what happens, hopefully I can keep myself from doing that, I'm really alarmingly bad at peeking at spoilers.

I think I'm officially just done with Good Ending now. Plotlines involving sexual assault are just not what I'm looking for in a high-school romance storyline, especially to a character whose sole reason for existing is just to have terrible poo poo happen to her. It's the last straw in my patience for what has really been a frustrating read.

If anyone besides me is reading Aoi Hana it would be nice to hear some opinions about it and how it is going that aren't as likely to make me as annoyed as reading things about it (or really any anime/manga) from other places on the internet. Also, if you do like it you should add your opinion to the ADTRWiki too.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 28, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

Can you read Japanese? Because that's the only way you can peek. All what I found available online only went so far and the show has blown past it at this point.

Haha, well I just assumed it had an ongoing translation since I knew I would "just take a quick peek" at some later chapters if I so much as looked at it on mangafox or wherever. Guess that makes my temptation to spoiler myself fairly moot.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Morinaga Milk is doing something more with Girl Friends, but I can't for the life of me remember where the hell I read about it. My hazy memory is that it's going to be a continuation of the series, but I don't remember at all if it was going to be ongoing or just a one-shot type of thing. She's working on something from one of her other series.

Fumi is one of my favorite characters too, for pretty much those exact reasons. For being such a reserved person she really has a lot of quiet strength in how she deals with life and the world around her. Recent Aoi Hana events:I hope things can continue to be good in regards to her and Akira dating, I literally keep flip flopping on my assessment of the chances of it working out, hence :3:+:ohdear: It says "A girl meets girl story that will set your heart aflutter" right on every title page though, so obviously I have nothing whatsoever to worry about. :gbsmith:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 30, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Edit: Bleh, and it looks like Dynasty Scans is pretty much done for. Hopefully someone picked up Wife and Wife, since that was probably the only decent series to come out of the original Yuri Hime S anthologies.
Well, poo poo.

It does look like a group called payapaya is continuing on with Wife and Wife and also Sasameki Koto, which was the one I was most hoping to see Dynasty finally get caught up with. For all its faults and even though its pacing sometimes made glaciers seem downright speedy I still like that series. I've read the ending since someone translated that and posted it, but I'd sure like to read all the lead up to it.

Digging through my history I think I figured out that Morinaga is doing something a bit more with Kisses, Sighs and Cherry-blossom pink and I just got confused by her similar looking charcters.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Apparently the DVD for the live action Paradise Kiss movie has been released, and completely amazingly it came with English subtitles included. :eyepop: This news is based on a subber who posted about it on the live action trailer I had stuck up on my youtube account, so I'm not positive on its accuracy but in any case, the film is on DVD/blu-ray now.

There's a trailer for Funimation's English dub of Kuragehime out now too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPUv_x13TeA
I like Tsukimi's voice a lot actually, really not digging Kuranosuke's dub voice though.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 2, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Yeah, on reflection I should have changed my feelings on Kuranosuke's voice from "not really digging" to "it sounds loving awful" like a person doing a terrible impression of a haughty, popular girl.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Posting this in here since I know there's a few other Takako Shimura fans besides myself that read this particular thread.

Here's her take on Homura and Kyubey she did for Flowers For Magical Girls

:iia:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mura posted:

New Kimi ni Todoke

looks like we're going to see a resolution between Chizu and Ryu

I'm just hoping that this arc is over, soon. While we're getting some good insight into the past for a couple characters, the series just feels a bit off without Sawako involved.

Still a pretty decent chapter, but even though I can't really put my finger on why it just doesn't seem as vibrant as it did at the beginning. Everyone just seems to be spinning their wheels or twisting up in themselves emotionally. Something is about to happen with Chizu and Ryu though so that should help to propel things along a bit now.

Despite that it remains one of my favorite mangas and I really look forward to every new chapter, so it's not like I'm about to stop reading it or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Grenadier posted:

She really does make the nicest watercolors.

She drew Mami a while back as well, it's not a watercolor this time, but I do still love her style.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Madoka Gundam AGE-1 Titus.
:stare:

I found Mami on her Twitter account (which, sadly she seems to have deleted :( )

Toradora: some people love it, some people hate it. Whichever way you feel about it there's been an OVA released and subbed.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I thought it was an alright episode cute, funny and very Toradora-y, but I am definitely disappointed that it wasn't some new content that showed them after then anime's ending.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Speaking of anime specials I completely forgot that Bunny Drop was supposed to have a couple shorts that came with the blurays. Well, it turns out that they are out, and subbed, and surprise surprise cute as hell and all the other things that the anime is. :3:

The second one is even Christmas themed.
Can be found here.

Oh man, I almost forgot how awesome Rin's faces were:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 26, 2011

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:neckbeard:
I'm kind of really not liking mys2scans translation all that much, not that it'll stop me from reading it. I'll be happier when mangoscans' version is done, even if they got weird about anyone actually putting their version up on any site that people might actually go to.

Monthly is still better than Aoi Hana's bi-monthly releases, so it could always be worse!

e: Yes! You go, Sawako!

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 18, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

At least you don't still have to have 10 posts on Mangoscan's forums to be able to download anything. That was stupid as hell.

e: bi-monthly? I didn't realize any Aoi Hana was getting released. The last one I read was the one where they get drunk I think.
Ha, yeah that was ridiculous. I just now signed up for the forums so I could see the release schedule and was pleased to find out I don't have to think of something to post over there.

About Aoi Hana: bi-monthly in the "every other month" sense, stupid ambiguous language. I almost forgot there was a hiatus from around April til October.

Anyways, drunk at Christmas was chapter 38, it's up to chapter 42 now, with a couple chapters focused on Kyoko and Ko.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 18, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Princess Jellyfish/Kuragehime is up in its entirety subbed on Funimation and Hulu, so now's a good time to check it out if you missed it before. It looks like they've got two episodes of the dub up too. Which I might check out at some point, but I'm not very hopeful about its quality. That dub trailer was really pretty awful.

And in case you didn't see it check out this great cosplay that popped up over in PYF.

e: Good god, how I love the OP. :allears:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 23, 2012

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

*puff* *puff* *puff*

That's ridiculous. :3:

Has anyone picked up NIS's release of Kimi ni Todoke yet? I'd be curious to hear some reviews of the translation. My job situation is worrisome at the moment so I'm basically in save-every-penny mode right now just in case the place goes under before I can find something new, so buying movies is right out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Miijhal posted:

Plus, if it does well enough, it might mean actually seeing some more non-otakubait yuri series get brought over.

Huh, I might have to give that a look, since they already have Girl Friends that one would make two non terrible yuri type series they've done.

The Black Stones posted:

I have it on order and I should be getting it very soon. If no one says anything by then I can post something. ANN reviewed it already and never mentioned any problems with them either.

I own a couple of their releases (Katanagatari, Persona, and Toradora) and while I think they had some issues here and there with the early releases, Katanagatari was perfect except for the subs being somewhat small (which they fixed for Kimi Ni Todoke).

Cool that's more or less what I was curious about, I'm just always worried that some company will do some bizarre thing and I'll end up buying it without knowing about it. I.e. Sawako is now known as Sally! And it's set in Kansas for some reason! Soundtrack is redone and now exclusively features the musical styling of Yanni!

Ok, well that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I'm glad to hear that it is, in fact, a good release and is worth the purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

This is the dumbest best silliest most amazing idea. Well, it sure is an idea anyway.

Jellyfish Princess Valentines Day cards, available in much larger sizes by following the link here.

As silly as they are, I like that Funimation is at least doing something fun to promote the show, it deserves all the exposure it can get.