Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Toradora was great (and I have the feeling a lot of people will stop reading this post at this point), but it really does take a little while to get into. If I didn't think it was getting better, I would've quit around the time Ami was introduced. The cast is fantastic, and thankfully they didn't skimp on the budget. I didn't think any of the twists (not to be spoilered here) were necessarily dumb, but instead represented the characters pretty well. It's also the only series I liked Kugimiya Rie in. She's easier to tolerate than Horie Yui in this one.

I get why a lot of people would hate it, but it's still a really good show. It manages to be both serious (at times) while being very enjoyable. If you watched a little of it and dropped it, read this: the plot introduced in the beginning is quickly dropped as the characters develop, and the characters change a lot for the better. I did rewatch the show recently, and it was still as good as I remembered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.
Man. I just finished reading Lovely Complex and it's been a while since I've been mad at a shojo manga ending.

The beginning starts out strong and has almost everything I'd want in a high school-set shojo story, and the characters are perfect. At some point it seems like the development goes to a crawl and we have some boring volumes, but whatever, it's still alright. A few plot points come and go, minor characters and one-shot stories come in, but nothing really happens to our main cast aside from the dealing with separation from college and (not) takin' that relationship to the next level or what have you, and that takes forever to get through. Everything just kind of fizzles away and the story ends at high school graduation with our main characters in the relationship they've been in since volume 5. It's like Nakahara literally couldn't think of anything to do with the story, and all those little plot points were purely insignificant.

I was expecting a lot more. Then the ending line is something like guess we're just going to stay this way forever, going on with our lives changes nothing which just pissed me off since it really contradicts everything about the story. Risa's whole spontaneous "I want to do fashion" thing just sort of happened and then we're supposed to accept all went perfectly as planned. I mean, I'm not expecting a Nana-style LIFE IS HARD message but come on. The chapters immediately before the ending focused on some character who only existed in those two chapters. Usually you'd expect these sort of one-shots to develop something but those developments are shallow at best. I can't really say I could have thought of a better way to end it, but that was just weak. Literally made me put the book down and say "gently caress you you cannot end that like this". And even so, it could have easily been (at the least) shortened by a good half.

For what it's worth, I really liked the anime. I don't recall if it ended like this or not, but if it did I probably dismissed it as "that's fun and all guess I'll finish the story in the manga later". It might also be the fact that I've been buying all the volumes since they started coming out (17 volumes!!) and now that I've sat down to read it... I'm just disappointed.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

Willsun posted:

Also, a question. I'm not even clear on the whole Ryuya-from-the-past-having-a-child thing to break the curse. My understanding is that Yukito didn't break the curse and simply died by being close to Misuzu while that little boy on the beach was destined to be the next male to try to break the curse. Am I right, and is there pretty much nothing further to the story beyond the end of the anime?

(Major AIR spoilers) IIRC, The curse is broken with Misuzu's death in the 1000th Summer, as she died with happy memories. I think it had something to do with the Sora part as well? The two kids on the beach have nothing to do with the curse. But then again, not too much is perfectly clear in the series, so you're free to interpret it as you wish. I really enjoyed Air TV, and it has quite the emotional ending, but it needed more airtime. Most of the minor arcs seem really unimportant in comparison to the major story.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

I like this explanation: (Air) Misuzu gained happy memories and when she died, she took them back to Kanna. This caused the curse to be lifted and Kanna's soul was once agained reincarnated (the little girl with blue hair at the end). It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure there was a bit of dialogue about the memories/feelings to break the curse.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

drat, Tsukimi's voice is really good, but Kuranosuke's is awful.