Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Yamashita Tomoko is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Zandar posted:

Houseki no Kuni's also on BOOK☆WALKER, which has a reader app for PCs, offline reading in Android/Apple apps, and in-browser reading. No downloadable version as far as I'm aware, though. Seems a little cheaper than other stores when sales aren't on, but the price actually depends on exchange rate so it might vary.

I like BookWalker too, and they usually have coupons for new accounts. You can also use the same account to buy books (in Japanese) from their Japanese website.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

l0lwhat posted:

Alright, I know this is the best place to ask, can someone recommend me 2-3 BL manga without drama? The sweeter and uncomplicated the better.

Natsume Isaku's stuff is mostly straightforward, but they're not super sweet.

Merry Checker by Suzuki Tsuta is about internet friends who meet up IRL.

Slow Starter by Ichikawa Kei (author of thread-favored Blue Sky Complex) is about two high schoolers who ride the same train to school.

Happy End o Shinjiteru by Fujimine Shiki is a new one about a small town boy who hopes to find a boyfriend in Tokyo. His only experience with love is the BL he found in his best friend's stash.

Edit: None of them are super sweet, but all low drama as far as I remember.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Everything Burrito posted:

holy poo poo they got Hengoku no Calendula / Love in Limbo too

I was waiting to read that until it finished, now I can continue to avoid it for another year!

Always happy to see more Natsume Isaku licensed, too. Highly recommend False Memories to anyone who's only read her scanlated stuff.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Time to re-read the first four volumes!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
The nail polish boys BL ended: http://fujoshibitches.shounen-ai.net/reader/series/kiyona_yubisaki_bukiyona_tsumasaki It's very laid back.

This looks good but I think I'm gonna get it in Japanese rather than purchase from June, unless they've been doing better lately? When they jumped to a new website, I never bothered following since I wasn't into any of their upcoming releases (that I knew about) and they were sooo slloooow with Does the Flower Blossom? and some other stuff.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

the nail polish boys were good, it was chill and nice although not very exciting lol

I was kinda concerned that June was about to go out of business since their parent company was having a bunch of problems and they'd been having trouble getting kickstarter rewards out too iirc, but if they're still picking up new titles maybe not??? idk

Viz, Kodansha, and Seven Seas have been picking up some of the hot BL titles recently so I wonder if the bigger publishers are putting a squeeze on them too

e: Sublime is also Viz which I kinda forgot about but some of the brand new stuff is going out under the main Viz name so I wonder if something has shifted around there ???

Is it just That Blue Sky Feeling or was there something else? That was published in a shonen magazine in Japan which seems to make a difference for whatever reason even for English publishers. Either way, it's cool that more publishers are giving BL a shot, although I already saw a few of those new Kodansha releases on reader sites and was like "welp, they tried."

Semi-related, the second/final omnibus of My Brother's Husband comes out next week.

Also, lol, the June banner for The Love That Binds says it releases 9/14/2018 at noon PST and I get a 404 when I click the link. You're not helping me think you're doing a better job, Digital Manga! Edit: It's up now

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 15, 2018

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
NPR reviewed volume 2 of My Brother's Husband: https://www.npr.org/2018/10/12/639601426/in-my-brothers-husband-vol-2-family-values-and-the-value-of-family

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

If anyone is looking for some BL to read, try something on this list
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2018-12-19/rumspringa-no-jokei-tops-kono-bl-ga-yabai-2019-list/.140988

I've read/am reading about 80% of them so hmu if you need opinions.

Umm I didn't know Amish BL existed but I'm totally gonna buy that Rumspringa one.

I got pretty into Unohana earlier this year, some of her stuff is licensed on Renta (which, as a website, sort of baffles me).

Also I didn't know 10 Dance was licensed, nice.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

https://twitter.com/gomanga/status/1083493856920797184

I'm kind of shocked to see they picked this one but I'm definitely going to get it. I thought I had posted about this one back when I read it but can't find a post so I must not have. Anyway. They call it "complex" in the blurb and that's pretty accurate. I ended up reading it twice, because the first time I read it I came away not really liking it, but it stuck with me so much and I kept thinking about it I had to go back and read it again and I appreciated it a lot more the second time. Both characters are really flawed people (assholes tbh) and there's a lot of drama and angst but the MC grows a lot through the story and the resolution in the end felt really earned to me.

Noo waaaay. I never expected that to get licensed since it's about 10 years old, but it definitely sticks with you.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Erg posted:

hi can someone help me remember the name of the manga where a group of girls wake up one day as hot middle aged men and one girl has a thing for middle aged men

asking for a friend

Is it Oyajina!?

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
For a slow burn BL, I like Hana wa Saku ka/Does the Flower Blossom? by Hidaka Shoko. There's a pretty decent age gap, but they're both adults.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxjXEIDbBxA
Noitamina's first BL anime is an adaptation of Given by Natsuki Kizu. I haven't read it yet because it's ongoing, but I really liked Links. Is an actual semi-serious, plot-having BL manga getting a series?

Also volume 1 of Natsume Isaku's Candy Color Paradox came out this week. She visited my town once and said (on Twitter) it was the sticks, but we have pretty sunsets.

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 15, 2019

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
Yeah, it's general 1980s. At one point there's a Reagan inauguration headline (from the 1981 New York Times), later on there are some CDs from later in the 80s. The bartender recalls some big 60s/70s historic moments. In addition to the romance, it's part American pop culture, part history, part Amish 101. I liked it.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

I came here to post this! TCAF is awesome and free, I highly recommend it. Junji Ito will also be there this year. Gengoroh Tagame has been several times, but I don't see him on this year's guest list.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

oh poo poo that's Twittering Birds Never Fly

so awesome

Now there's something I never expected to get animated. Exciting, and judging by the subtitle there could be more in the future if it does well.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

ZiegeDame posted:

Hak was very thirsty.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

HIJK posted:

Hello thread,

Are there any recommendations for BL with two adult guys? Generally slice of life stuff if possible, I appreciate some drama but would prefer to avoid super dark material.

I’ve got Fruit, Gateau au Chocolat and Hana wa Saku Ka open on my laptop right now and they look very mellow and fun.

thank you in advance!

You might like stuff by Ueda Aki if you want fairly laid back. Also try some of Yamashita Tomoko’s BL. It’s pretty old now, but I’ve always liked Dear Green by Fujiyama Hyouta and its prequel/sequel.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

FYI anyone reading What Did You Eat Yesterday should look up the doujins the author put out, they're very good and give you another facet of their relationship that doesn't really make it into the books it's the sex part

kidding aside they show their early dates and are super cute :3

I didn't know these existed, thanks for mentioning them!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
^^^
For a good 4 seconds I thought I was posting in the wrong thread.

Alder posted:

Looking at the kindle bookstore, I had hoped they had a decent variety of josei or BL but it's just sad. I mean, they have all kinds of books but searching for decent manga that's not mainstream is a shot in the dark.

The few places I have found manga are Renta! and the Play store so any new stores would be great.

It's not the primary focus there, but Book Walker (global.bookwalker.jp) has some good niche titles in both BL and josei, and they have pretty decent join-up deals every month it seems like.

Kusaru fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 13, 2019

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Yamashita Tomoko has a knack of coming up with lines that really resonate with me. I always like her humor, too.

For anyone who likes her stuff and wants to give her money, her ongoing innuendo-filled light-BL horror/mystery manga is available digitally from Sublime: https://www.sublimemanga.com/reader/686.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
All this has reminded me that I bought her 10th anniversary art book a while back.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
https://twitter.com/SuBLimeManga/status/1157063486733611008

They keep picking things that I was waiting to read, so that's great (except caste heaven, egh).

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Wark Say posted:

Hi, fellow Basara lover. Wish there were more of us to discuss this fantastic, at times incredibly "metal" shoujo manga. :hfive:

The part I remember most strongly is the when the main character stabbed a shark.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Re-read the whole thing thus far. I think my favorite haunting is the creepy smile ghost that jumps bodies and favorite line (among many, I love Yamashita Tomoko's dialog) is when Hanzawa tells a one-off character to avoid thinking they're an inherently good person. The guys all rallying around Erika at the end of this volume sort of gave me Mo'Some Sting vibes.

Volume 7 has been out in Japan since April, let's hope it's less than a year until it gets translated!

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

People dig it for a variety of reasons especially in paranormal romance so I'm constantly having to dodge it when I'm looking for trashy romance novels and it was deeply disappointing when I started having to do the same thing for non-doujinshi bl manga :argh:

For me, one of the main appeals of BL is the lack of defined gender roles, so the popularity of this has been so weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I spent so much time in high school listening to the Fushigi Yuugi soundtrack, well before I ever saw the anime (which admittedly was a letdown after probably 2-3 years of expectation).