Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
So because I dont have nearly enough series on the go to suck up any and all resources I stumbled upon 'Banana fish' which seemed cool from the cover but the particular place I looked it up in had no description.

The best I saw was that it was Shojo.

Ok then so wiki it is!

wiki posted:

1973, Vietnam - an American soldier goes mad and guns down his buddies. Since then, the only words he has uttered are "Banana Fish"...

Twelve years later, in New York City, police investigate a series of puzzling suicides and a dying man gives a charismatic young gang leader named Ash Lynx a vial of a mysterious substance..

I..that...how is that shojo? If so is Marlon brando the Tsundere in Apocalypse now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

musouka posted:

If you think shoujo is all romance and bubbles, you have a lot of catching up to do. Particularly in the gruesome horror department.

I cant really dissociate shojo from that particular image in the same way I wouldn't really say Judge dread is kids comics. Though at the same time I may have shot my argument in the foot as I don't suppose I would call Judge Dread 'mature' for the most part either.
I like Shojo stuff well enough but isnt there a general upper end of where you can refer to something as one genre? Published in a Shojo magazine or not is this really somthing that fits into that slot?

I'm not trying to be argumentative and I fully intend to read it but given that kind of set up it sounds more like it belongs to the Seinen lot.

I'm genuinely interested in stuff you say is shojo but scoots far away from the bubbles and fluffy screen tones though, what would you have to offer in this way of things?