Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kusaru posted:

Stories like that are unfortunately common.

Does anyone have suggestions for romance with actual progress involving people past high school?

NANA

But unfortunately, the author stopped due to hospitalization and isn't sure if she'll ever return to drawing even though she's back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Clannad actually had a Blu-Ray release announced, don't know if it's out yet. After Story might not be too far off.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

It's very easy! In the last five minutes of the last episode, it cuts to adult Rin and Daikichi married and looking at photo albums, remembering the old days.

Presto, ruined anime to go along with a ruined manga.

Really though, that would be going out of their way just to get to that drat ending. I think they probably have an inkling of how the manga ending has been received. Even if they did something like what you claim, they don't even need to indicate that They're married. They can simply show a grown up Rin and Daikichi going through photo albums talking about when she was young. No mention of marriage or anything. Just reminiscing

There, bam. You've still got the character aged, but the anime doesn't go to the manga's hosed up levels and it's up to interpretation. Think what you want.

I just think that they've handled things pretty well at this point that they're not going to go out of their way to gently caress it up. I could be incredibly wrong, but I'm going to remain optimistic about it rather than go "OH MY GOD THE ENDING! OH MY GOD WHAT ABOUT THE ENDING!? WHEN WILL THE BOMB BE DROPPED!?!?" every week.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Captain Invictus posted:

If you haven't watched the Usagi Drop anime yet, I suggest doing so. It's exceptionally well done, completely disregards the timeskip and manga ending, and is cute as a button.

(*' 3 '*)

Yep. Good to know my thoughs about how it'd end were pretty much right on the money.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

e: oh wait Chihayafuru might be interesting.

The Chihayafuru manga is really good and even if you don't understand everything it teaches you enough to be able to grasp the basics of whats going on and enjoy it. Definitely gonna be worth it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

theDOWmustflow posted:

I'm a little under the halfway point of Nana and :smithicide: I don't know how much more sorrow I can take.

I think AnyManga is the only site that has the series uploaded in full for those who want to (re)live the tragedy. Does anyone know if the author has recovered or is she still out of commission?

She's recovered from her illness but she mentioned she hasn't picked up a pen since it had happened and she just wasn't sure she'd ever return to drawing again. That was well over a year ago so things are looking slim. I'll be so depressed if she never finishes it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The_Frag_Man posted:

I noticed that it is being officially translated. Anyone know what the quality is like?

I liked it and think they did a good job. But I also don't read much scans ever so I can't tell you how they'd compare.

But if you want to officially support it it's worthy of it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just to give people a heads up. Those artboxes NISA does are loving HUGE compared to most anime packaging. But they are very well made and very sturdy and look incredible.

I have them from 3 series now and the ones for Katanagatari are fantastic looking.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'd second Octave, it was pretty good.

Nothing else I can think of really matches her works. I will recommend watching Chihayafuru as the same director who worked on NANA and same studio is adapting that and the material is pretty good too, but a bit less mature than Yazawa.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

If anyone who reads this thread isn't watching Chihayafuru they should probably remedy that right away, it's super good with great characters and some amazing production values too. So far I've managed to avoid letting myself sneak a look at the manga to see what happens, hopefully I can keep myself from doing that, I'm really alarmingly bad at peeking at spoilers.

Can you read Japanese? Because that's the only way you can peek. All what I found available online only went so far and the show has blown past it at this point.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
So apparently a Shoujo manga called Sakamichi no Apollon is getting an anime adaptation in April in the noitaminA slot. Anyone here read/know anything about this manga?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
No, it was helpful. That's good enough to get me interested in it and I will definitely check it out the anime when it airs. Thanks!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

*puff* *puff* *puff*

That's ridiculous. :3:

Has anyone picked up NIS's release of Kimi ni Todoke yet? I'd be curious to hear some reviews of the translation. My job situation is worrisome at the moment so I'm basically in save-every-penny mode right now just in case the place goes under before I can find something new, so buying movies is right out.

I have it on order and I should be getting it very soon. If no one says anything by then I can post something. ANN reviewed it already and never mentioned any problems with them either.

I own a couple of their releases (Katanagatari, Persona, and Toradora) and while I think they had some issues here and there with the early releases, Katanagatari was perfect except for the subs being somewhat small (which they fixed for Kimi Ni Todoke).

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

So the Bunny Drop anime is getting a US release, now I have to decide how annoyed with the author I still am, because I completely loved the anime version (and the first half of the manga), but completely hated the manga's ending and to a lesser extent all the volumes after the 10 year jump. So, on the one hand I don't want to give her money, but on the other the anime is pretty separate from her and it's downright amazing.

Actually, even as I'm typing this post I realize that my ire has lessened and having a physical copy of the show is starting to sound quite appealing.

Think of it as not helping out the original author, but helping out NISA release more awesome anime! as they constantly score some of the great stuff that would never make it here otherwise. Supporting titles like AnoHana, Usagi Drop, and Kimi Ni Todoke just might make them consider other greats like Chihayafuru! Here's hoping!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

I really should grab some volumes of Sailor Moon too, especially if they're cheap on amazon right now. The only print version of it that I read was a couple of issues in Mixx (which later became Tokyopop) way back forever ago. Googling that just taught me that Magic Knight Rayearth was a) in that same magazine, but I don't remember it at all and b) it's shoujo. Is it any good? I vaguely remember the name, but that's basically it.

The anime is pretty dated and drags a bit, but was alright. The manga was definitely the better of the 2 I think, and I would really recommend picking up Darkhorse's rerelease of the series as you can pick it up in 2 combined volumes and you can really tell they put lots of love into them. I'd also recommend their CardCaptor Sakura books too, they're phenomenal.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna be a horrible person and plug something I translated in here. :shobon:

Husky and Medley is a manga adaptation of 2ch thread from around 2008 or so about a girl trying to get with her classmate with the help of the internet. What sets it apart, aside from it being (sort of) nonfiction, is that it actually goes past that point. The whole thing is a realistically entertaining and downright adorable look into the life of a high school kid and her girlfriend. I reread it just recently and decided to fangirl over everyone remotely willing to listen so forgive me if I sound like an idiot right now :3: but it's something I'm extremely proud of being able to share with the english-speaking world because god dammit it's just so awesome.

http://mangafox.me/manga/husky_and_medley/

Incidentally, this is where Sweetiex2 comes from, for those of you into Vocaloid. So yeah go read it read it now.

Read it all in one go. Great read, thanks for translating it!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

Oh god the AnoHana fancy bonus box set looks awesome.

All shows from NISA get a premium box set release first, and after a while once they sell out, they switch to normal releases.

Those boxes are really freaking big and will not fit in any normal shelf, but they do look amazing. The Katanagatari sets looked just incredible thanks to the art, and I really like the art on the Kimi Ni Todoke sets as well.

Edit: I should also note, if you order from Rightstuf, AnoHana is already shipping.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Blhue posted:

Didn't it sell like poo poo even in Japan? I like the manga, but I felt the anime was fairly slow and anticlimactic so I don't think it'll fare any better overseas. It'd be great if it did, since it raises the chances of more of it being animated, but I wouldn't expect much.

Rightstuf launched a new label to to release it on a budget price, so chances are they got it for really cheap, and the release will probably be pretty bare bones as well and will most definitely be sub only. So this getting licensed is not too surprising because they're more than likely banking on a very small group to make their money back.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Rose of Versailles anime licensed for North America

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Omniphile posted:

I know that Rose of Versailles probably won't be getting a dub, but if it did I would be very curious to see how it went. There's potential for a dub to surpass the original there.

It won't get one. Rightstuf said they're doing subs and that's it. It's too expensive for them to do dubs these days.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

coathat posted:

Yeah it's pretty fresh, although it does remind me of something I can't really place. Which is weird because I haven't read anything by the author or artist before.
It's only really one chapter out right now, the scanlator just released it in three chunks. Here's to hoping more chapters come sooner rather than later.

I haven't read it, but to me the premise sounds like Angel Densetsu.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I haven't read the Suki-tte Ii na yo manga, but I'd have to agree the anime was pretty lackluster. It never really seemed to go anywhere and just felt really aimless. It wasn't bad, but I'm not going to be recommending it to people.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

a kitten posted:

Some surprising and awesome news about NANA and Paradise Kiss creator Ai Yazawa.

I am really, really hoping that this means that NANA might be coming back sometime soon. It seemed like it only needed a couple more manga volumes before it ended.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I'd give a shout out to NANA but since it's not finished yet (and maybe never will be, but Yazawa is drawing again!) I'd highly recommend you put in a spot for Ai Yazawa's Paradise Kiss which recently got a re-release over here from the fine folks at Vertical who also went and retranslated the thing so Arashi isn't British for some loving reason. It's also one of the bigger size format releases and the art gets the treatment it deserves, unfortunately no colour pages, but I easily got past that, and it's all done in 3 volumes. Highly recommended as it's a fantastic piece of work and the anime was what actually got me interested in Romance/Shoujo/Josei stuff. I can easily do a write-up for it if needed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

twinight posted:

Most major stuff has been mentioned before, but I'd also throw out Octave and Bitter Virgin, although the latter is technically from a seinen mag, it's still pretty squarely romance. Still somewhat shocking to me that Kei Kusunoki managed to produce it, given the rest of her catalog.

I'll second the recommendation for Octave. It was really good.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Nate RFB posted:

The only good parts of true tears are the eufonius OP and the animation.

Does anyone remember when Bandai Visual was going to sell it and I think Shigofumi state-side? They were literally planning on doing the Japanese 2-episode-per-disc, $40+ approach. Funniest god drat thing. I can't remember if they actually followed through before BV folded though.

They cancelled it, but both shows were eventually released through Bandai Entertainment in sub-only sets. (I THINK it was True Tears) There was also some fun where the licensor had apparently double licensed it where Sentai Filmworks and Bandai had DVD rights, once it was pointed out to Sentai that quickly changed.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just going to put out a recommendation for a series I recently finished re-reading. It's nothing super amazing, but I found that it's a good read and definitely a little different than some standard Shojo manga where.

Sand Chronicles is a manga that follows the life of a girl called Ann, and it starts from when she's 12, and keeps jumping in time all the way until she's an adult. The series isn't typical in that it doesn't end with her finally getting together with the guy, and it's a very easy read with the main story totaling only at 8 volumes while the bonus stories increase it into 10 volumes. If anyone is in need of something to read, I'd recommend giving it a shot.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

The Devil Tesla posted:

I was enjoying the anime of My Little Monster until the second episode ended with a confession and at the start of the next episode were like psyche!!. Is it worth it to keep watching?

It does keep a back and forth going, but I found it to be a good fun show regardless of it. I'd definitely give it a recommend since it's only 12(13?) episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
To my recollection, promo only.