Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Agent_grey posted:

I..that...how is that shojo? If so is Marlon brando the Tsundere in Apocalypse now?

To call it shojo is kind of a misnomer; it's more josei than shojo. (Josei is to shojo what seinen is to shounen: aimed more at older women than girls and deals with more mature themes.) And the reason why it's josei is because that mysterious young gang leader and the other main character, an aspiring photographer (from Japan, would you believe), engage in a homosexual relationship. And do so in a straightforward, realistic manner, wonder of wonders. It's not even the focus of the plot, which is the mystery of Banana Fish. It's pretty cool, completely written and translated, and you just reminded me I haven't finished it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

musouka posted:

It's not josei (better termed "ladies"), it's a shoujo series that was aimed at girls. It was also incredibly popular with men, but that in no way takes away from the fact that it was published in a girls' magazine and printed under a shoujo imprint.

If you think shoujo is all romance and bubbles, you have a lot of catching up to do. Particularly in the gruesome horror department.

Ah. After having looked up these things and the differences between them, it seems that you are right. Hmm, I'll have to be careful; although I don't think shoujo is all romance and bubbles (just like shounen isn't all fighting and friendship; Death Note is shounen, remember), it's very easy to fall into the trap of thinking that umbrella terms are in any way indicative of content or quality. I hadn't known that Banana Fish ran in a shoujo imprint; the more you know.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

it's really amazing how bad kimi ni todoke got, to the point that I just don't want to finish it. Every time I go to catch up I just get this overwhelming feeling of ennui from it.

Ooh, sounds a bit like Nana- although KnT will probably finish first! (And at all.)