Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Over the past year I've been watching Hulu during my daily TV time and it has a surprising amount of anime on it. When I first signed up, I went through and bookmarked a bunch of stuff that seemed interesting or I've heard mentioned before. And recently I've finally dipped into some of those picks. Aside from the first "season" of Dragon Ball (Hulu doesn't seem to split the seasons with any respect to the story arcs), I've seen Ouran High School Host Club, Haganai, and now I'm watching Ore Monogatari!!/My Love Story. I've really enjoyed everything so far (DB was so-so but that's OT). I'm through the first half of that last one and it's probably the most wholesome piece of media I've ever seen. Like, it makes Catana Comics seem edgy in comparison. A lot of my other bookmarks seem to be grounded in reality and have to do with romance/relationships and have very colorful and pretty art styles.

FWIW I'm not hugely experienced with anime, with manga even less so (although I know how to read the "authentic" stuff). Before Hulu, I've only seen a few series but Love Hina and Azumanga Daioh were standouts.

A question that keeps coming up in my head as I consume this content:
Why do I, a cis hetero middle-aged man, like this stuff meant for teenage girls? Is that common at all? Is it ok for me to even ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Tarezax posted:

I am also a straight cis dude and loving love romance stuff. You like what you like.

Ok, thank you (and everyone else who replied) for your feedback.

I've been heavily into shoegaze and post-rock in recent years so it kinda fits if there's a theme there.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

chumbler posted:

Onnanoko ga Daicha Dame desuka? (Ladies On Top for the official localized release which won't be out for a few months yet)

This was interesting, I liked it. Although looks like the scanlation(?) isn't complete. It gave me a question that could probably be posted in the chat thread since it's pretty general, but I'll ask it here:

Are there any english-language weekly/monthly manga magazines like there are in Japan? I think I'd really enjoy subscribing to something that does shoujo or slice of life, if those exist at all.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Yeah doing a little reading now and Shojo Beat seemed to be the only example of what I was looking for, yet it only ran for 4 years ('05-'09). Looks like even Shonen Jump is kaput ('02-2012, then digital '12-'18) but there's a digital thing now called Manga Plus that has their catalog.

Oh well, I kinda expected there to not be anything.

e: there was also Animerica Extra ('98-'04), which appears to be a Shojo Beat predecessor.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 2, 2022

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses has continued with a different scan team and it also continues to be my favorite romance running and I will keep posting it until everyone agrees.

I usually go to bed at midnight, but It's past 3am and I read the whole thing. Well, what was there. It stops at a bit of a cliffhanger! I was a bit confused about their ages (13-14) because it was misprinted early on. I had an opportunity for romance in middle school but I declined like an idiot. I frequently wonder how different my life would be if I had given her a chance.

Anyway, are intimate relationships really like that in Japan? Where no one ever says exactly what they're thinking or how they're feeling? Or referring to each other in 3rd person? How bizarre. I see a lot of that in the anime series I've been watching, as well. I know it's just media, but I guess I'm wondering how accurate it is.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Terry van Feleday posted:

That's just communication being hard. Are you in the habit of giving people unfiltered insight into what you truly think and feel at any given time?

Not unfiltered, no, unless I'm close to them. The typical greeting of "how are you?" or "how's it going?" is difficult for me because my immediate instinct is to actually answer the question instead of responding with the standard "fine, thanks" or whatever. Also, if I'm fond of someone or something about them, I really want to tell them. Basically, I just dislike lying and deception and try to do the opposite most of the time. When I see characters in media stay silent or outright lie to people they're close to, especially when it's really important to be honest, it bugs me a bit. Quite often I find myself thinking "wtf, just tell them", "who does that?", etc. The answer to the latter, in this case, is apparently "Japanese youngsters". But that's also why I'm asking how realistic it is.

Terry van Feleday posted:

As for the 3rd person thing, that's just an artifact of poor translation. In japanese it's totally normal & actually more polite in most situations to 3rd-person each other rather than using the words westerners think of as equivalent to "you", so when translators don't account for that linguistic difference you get an odd effect.

Interesting. But is that really poor translation if that's what they actually do? It's not a thing in our culture, yes, so it comes off a bit awkward, but how else would you present that in text?

Any examples of things English speakers say that'd be really strange in Japanese? Well, besides our tendency to be more direct than they are.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Finished the Kimi ni Todoke anime last night. I enjoyed it. But I wish it had been an episode or 2 longer, so I could have more of a peek at the protag's life after the climax. Also, I wasn't a huge fan of the art style but I liked the chibi/comedy faces. So round! I'll be interested to see the live-action series that's coming next year.

Also read the Hi Score Girl manga. Apparently this is seinen stuff, but the main relationship really got me in the feels. Even though I'm not huge into fighting games, I love retro stuff in general so I recognized nearly all of the references (<3 the PC-Engine shoutouts). All the characters seemed to be around the same age as me. At first I was really turned off by the hideous artwork and focus on fighting games, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. The art did improve over the course of the series, and the FGC angle seemed like just a vehicle for the romance.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 6, 2022

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I plan to re-visit most of the series I've seen on TV via manga at some point. And the opposite for HSG, next time I'm subbed to Netflix, I'll definitely watch the anime.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

punching a wall until the next chapter comes out come ONNN

That's quite a cliffhanger. See you in a month, I guess!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Has anyone ever used Inkr to read stuff? One of the series I bookmarked on MD isn't complete and I'd like to finish it. Inkr is an official distributor of its English version, but I'm kinda confused as to how they operate. What are "coins"? Can I just pay money and subscribe, read what I want, then quit (like a TV streaming service)? Neither question was apparent from their website.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Thanks for the insight. The only experience I have with FunBux was digital downloads on the Wii. I bought some WiiWare (Castlevania Rebirth!) and a handful of Virtual Console titles, none of which were really playable due to the combination of: bluetooth (WiiMotes use it for all button presses), software emulation layer, and 2008-era game-mode-less LCD TV, all introducing a ton of input latency. Anyway, at the time I thought it was dumb as hell that I couldn't just pay Nintendo directly for what I wanted, and I'll carry that opinion over to Inkr.

I'll poke around more on their site sometime to see if there's a real money option (subscription or something).

The unfinished-on-MD series I was referring to is A Silent Voice. Having been both a perpetrator and victim of childhood bullying myself, the premise is extremely relatable and a reminder to make a reasonable effort to treat others with kindness.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

:cry:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I just finished reading Slow Motion wo Mou Ichido, and loving hell is it good - especially if you read it while listening to the some of the songs featured throughout the story.

This looks good. MD link for those who use it:
https://mangadex.org/title/32d0b857-24b2-4c3b-8dc6-aa6d0739aa79/slow-motion-wo-mou-ichido

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm absolutely not secretive about my love of the 80s

Me neither. Well, not anymore. I don't really dress like it but I'm not shy about admitting I'm fond of most of its music. That certainly wasn't the case in the 90's. Knowing that I loved Tears For Fears and Madonna would not have gone over well with my post-grunge/alt-rock peers. So I kept it to myself while also enjoying 90's alt-rock.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Pan Dulce posted:

Watching Kubo Won't Let Me Be Invisible and my goodness, it's SO CUTE! I love the male, MC, how earnest and kind he is, what a good big bro he is, and how quickly he falls prey to Kubo teasing him. This is such a sugary sweet shoujo.

The anime so nice, you posted it twice.

Sounds like something I'd like a lot and I've noted it for the future when I subscribe to HiDive. Also bookmarked the manga on MD.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

There's something to be said about the kind of kindness and obliviousness that stokes the flames of love.

This kind of move is completely unfair.

I apologize, my social skills need some work, especially romantic-type stuff... but why is this "unfair" or seemingly uncomfortable to the gal in the background?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Elfface posted:

Because she brought chocolate for the hatted girl.

Also because the characters are generally awkward anyway, what with one mistaking the other for a boy, and the other not bothering to correct her or point out they're in the same class at school.

Schubalts posted:

She expected simple chocolate, not romantic flowers, and was overwhelmed. It's not unfair as a bad thing, but as "You cranked up the charm unexpectedly, making me more lovey-dovey embarrassed than I was prepared for".

Hm ok. So the flowers is considered a higher-level gift. But don't they like each other? I think it's really sweet hat girl remembered that braid girl doesn't want chocolate, so she got her something more meaningful instead. That's awesome. But I guess I can also see where braid girl might feel some guilt or shame for not going beyond the cultural standard. It's ok, I think. The Gift Exchange love language is some tricky stuff from my perspective.

Anyone got a MD link to this series?

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Anime Directly to Readers Worldwide > The Misc. Shoujo, Josei, & Romance Thread: what to do with girlfriend

Just an idea I had all of a sudden: This story could be easily adaptable to a live-action USA version between 2 kids from evangelical christian households. They are so incredibly modest.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

That was a pretty intense (:kimchi:) bonus chapter. I read the comments and someone said that the anime made some changes to Kaede's character:

quote:

Too bad the anime completely fumbled his character and made him look like an insufferable whiny bitch. That was an even worse crime than the awful CGI and direction, and that's telling a lot.

Media response is subjective, so I guess I'll wait and see for myself if the anime makes its way over here.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Oh, it's out in English already? I'm currently not subscribed to any TV services but I will consider Crunchyroll for my next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

'The Girl I Like Forgot Her Glasses' has wrapped up: https://mangadex.org/chapter/27c3a0de-1587-4233-89d8-019bb755a0eb

Awww. Such a cute series. I thank everyone here for posting the updates and getting me into it. Shame about the anime not being very good. I'll check it out someday eventually and draw my own conclusion, I'm sure.

In the meantime, another series by the same author looks interesting: https://mangadex.org/title/90be0dde-350d-4f0e-ba83-da4ba05dbc37/tonari-no-onee-san-ga-suki
"I'm in Love With the Older Girl Next Door"

She's into film and they have movie nights. :3: