Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Late on this thread, but Kimi no Iru Machi...

Why! gently caress you! Why?! Damnit! Asuka! No? gently caress you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So is Usagi Drop's ending bad in a poor writing sort of way or what?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Or at the very least, pulling an Anno like he did with Kare Kano's TV series.

Speaking of which, is this how people felt at the end of the Kare Kano manga?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zorak posted:

I never watched/ read Kare Kano to its ending, what was weird about it?

Anime, it was like Anno decided stick puppets are the poo poo.

Manga, Arima's daughter falls in love with his best friend who's in his 30's, though that was in the final chapter time-skip thingie

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kusaru posted:

Yeah, the second half of Kare Kano was nowhere near as good as the first half. If I remember correctly, the main conflict was the lead male having an awful mother and therefore he was tainted somehow?

Bad situation with his family led to snooty rear end in a top hat relatives that made him into an rear end in a top hat deep inside. Realistic problems.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

kissyboots13 posted:

So...when does Usagi Drop start to become creepy? I'm at the beginning of the time skip, and love it so far, but I've been spoiled for the ending and just...don't want to read the creepy parts. Any advice?

Volume-wise, about the last one.

Story-wise, you can't miss it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cisneros posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity, how did they explain Rin not being related to Daikichi? was her mom been lying all this time thus making her the worst person ever?

I'm guessing it's one of those things where everyone assumed it was grandpa and no one really asked since the mom left so suddenly.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So what do you guys think about the last few chapters of Marmalade Boy, where they tackle a similar issue?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Despite only having 6 chapters, I really like Trinity Seven.

The main character is refreshing in that he's so calm yet snarky. And everyone else is so chillax about the topic of perverted stuff (Except Lilith, which is hilarious because she's the only person doing this)

edit: It's Love Hina level of ecchi I guess, but the main character's lack of :supaburn: to it tones it down.

Tae fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 15, 2011

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Oh, I thought this was all romance stuff. Sorry about that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You know, I never thought I'd feel more awkward and think it's more fake when two characters from the beginning have a relationship, compared to the previous that was formed randomly.

Well done, Kimi No Iru Machi :golfclap:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Newest chapter of Good Ending is...guy solving things rationally? Whuh?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It had that standard few chapters where he went totally depressed because of a certain event, but he solved it now in a mature way and decided "gently caress it, that didn't change a drat thing about my feelings about you."

Kimi no Iru Machi on the other hand, hooooly poo poo. I have never seen the things it has done in a story to troll readers so hard.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I remember reading manga that had the exact same premise as Kare Kano, except it was typical cliched.

:barf:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Switch Girl.

quote:

TAMIYA Nika is a beautiful, outgoing, popular high school girl. She has just the right look, just the right fashions, and is everyone’s friend. What everyone at school does not know is how hard Nika works to keep up this perfect image, and what she is REALLY like at home. When not at school, Nika is a scary, sloppy, tight-fisted girl who wears glasses, an ugly sweatsuit, and has her hair pulled back into unattractive buns. She lays around playing video games and reading manga. Her attitude is bossy and cranky, and she travels far out of her way to shop where she won’t be recognized.

Every day, Nika “Switches On” with a strict regimen of beautification that involves primping and plucking and careful dressing. The only person who knows about Nika’s Switched On/Off modes is her best friend, who is also aware of the reasons behind the changes.

However, soon a second person finds about about Nika’s personalities - someone who has his own On/Off switch, but in reverse! His name is KAMIYAMA Arata, and he is a recent transfer student. He meets Nika when she is in OFF Mode, and then again at school when she is ON. However Nika can see that he has his little secret. At school, Arata wears thick swirly-eyed glasses and messy hair that make some bullies think he is an otaku. However, at home, he ditches the glasses and is downright gorgeous! He is just the opposite of Nika, but why?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm still confused how they're having a whole sequel season :psyduck: Like, half the girls got definite endings didn't they?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The white haired girl is the one he's been after since the beginning.

It can't be any worse than Kimi No M, though. That's a textbook example of whiplash love interest.

On the other hand, I wish Love So Life would get translated faster :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The whiplash I hate to this day is going from Asuka back to Yuzuki despite everything short of marriage in their relationship. Then we're supposed to forget all about it. He's an rear end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

New Chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu: http://www.mangahere.com/manga/tonari_no_kaibutsu_kun/

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

This got updated with a recent chapter: 360 Degrees

Main reason why I like it? Doesn't deal with the typical bullshit and has the main characters actually talking to each other. "Oh, he said that? Let me talk to him so I know it isn't true, k?"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Love Allergen just finished up: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Love-Allergen

It's about Love physically hurting a girl but she still wants to feel it, a boy that doesn't know poo poo about love if it bitch slapped him in the face, and a club formed to figure this out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Anyone checked out Spotted Flower?

It's by the same artist as Genshiken. The story is an otaku dealing with his wife's pregnancy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Skychrono posted:

Shonen Jump Alpha just started running Nisekoi but they started fifty chapters in... how is it? It seems like a cross between Love Hina and Ranma from the preview.

Eh. Main "story" love interest is a mega tsundere, the plot keeps blueballing on the mcguffin, the childhood crush is the best character by far, and it's just a lot of filler.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They jumped the shark like 200 chapters ago.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know why I keep reading Seo Kouji. His works have been poo poo since Suzaka, yet I keep reading them for some reason. And now he trolls with the M. Night level twist in his latest story. The name of the manga, who's named after the protagonist's girlfriend, died

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kare Kano really cut short before it got really drama and dark in the manga. I think a whole volume was based on Arima's past because they ran out of stuff to say.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Arima's background is okay, but to have it span across multiple volumes was kinda a lowpoint for me when I was following along. At least she made a joke about the other characters going "Uh, we still exist, right?"

I also think it's hilarious the author couldn't just ask the director Hideki Anno, the creator of Evangelion, to try and get grim for a 2nd season (also hilarious that the new Rebuild movies use soundtracks directly from Kare Kano).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Also the last couple of panels of the manga ends with Arima's daughter being the "soul mate" of his best friend, like some sort of bad metaphor that his love for both carried over to their child.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Once Armia and Yukino get together, the rest of the manga is about exploring other's relationships, Arima's past, and that one play they did about robots. I mean it still does get more details on the two main characters, but for the most part it's just details. Nothing really bad happens to them externally to threaten breaking them apart.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

if you read Tsubasa Chronicle

Holy gently caress, talk about a trainwreck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm still burned by Chobits and Angelic Layer being the exact same universe, with the former being created after the happy-go-lucky scientist died and no one uses the Layer dolls anymore.