Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shuuden-na-Kankei
Hibari is a young professional who works long hours and inevitably rides the last train home. It's not all bad. She also runs into the train station worker, Yokose. Yokose is kind and polite and is always looking out for Hibari as she often sleeps defenselessly (and with a bit of drool) on her way home. Their brief encounters are a bright spot in her hectic days.

It's cute.
So yeah, I decided to have a wee look in this thread since I've been reading a fuckload of gross seinen (Parasyte, Uzumaki) and this manga looks like a really nice palate cleanser. Looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Thanks. I'll definitely check some of those out after I've read Shuuden na Kankei, which seems really short. I'm reading Chihayafuru at the moment, but since I've seen the anime already I'm not in a huge rush to burn through it.

Between all the recommendations I got in the seinen thread and the apparent promise in the shoujo/josei genres, I think my tastes are much better catered for in the manga format than in anime. Maybe because there's less of a commercial obstacle in actually getting a manga on the shelves, so there's more variety and experimentation. There seem to be more stories about contemporary adult life, anyway.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shuuden-na-Kankei
Hibari is a young professional who works long hours and inevitably rides the last train home. It's not all bad. She also runs into the train station worker, Yokose. Yokose is kind and polite and is always looking out for Hibari as she often sleeps defenselessly (and with a bit of drool) on her way home. Their brief encounters are a bright spot in her hectic days.

It's cute.

Yeah, that was really cute. I liked the character designs and art a lot.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

I checked a random series on Kissmanga and it was this one, "My Wife is Wagatsuma-Sama", which while I'm only a few chapters in, seems like it could be an interesting romcom/supernatural series, what with what happens at the end of chapter 3. It's definitely got a unique twist to it, but I don't know if it's a series that wastes its potential or not. Definitely will read more after the three-chapter test, though.

Also, the main dude makes a crazy reaction face like every other page in the first chapter, which I approve heartily of.
There's a thread for it.

I started reading it but gave up after a few issues because it's mainly tits and juvenile humour, which is fine, I guess, but not what I'm looking for at the moment. The faces are great and I think the concept has potential. It wasn't a good sign that I didn't want anyone to marry the protagonist (or any of his buddies). Unless there's a massive turnaround where some of the characters actually develop, I don't think I'll be reading any more.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Nov 2, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Have you read Paradise Kiss? Go buy and read it, like right now.
It's on my list. I wasn't sure whether to go for the anime or the manga. I think I avoided it in the past due to the fashion angle. I'm weird in that I have a lot of time for functional fashion, clothing design, materials, etc, but I'm not particularly interested in the decorative, faddish stuff of the Fruits variety. I'm not sure that Paradise Kiss is even about that, though. Everything I've heard about it has been good, and it's not like I was at all into karuta (or that it particularly mattered that I was into it) before Chihayafuru stole my heart.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Everything Burrito posted:

Some stuff I'm reading, the common thread here is older characters (late 20s-30s mostly) and/or an older love interest.
A couple of these look really good.

Nate RFB posted:

I had read the first couple of chapters of Taiyou no Ie a long while back, and had kind of written off the series for whatever reason. I was sort of getting Oresama Teacher vibes (a series I was thoroughly disappointed with); I don't know, some kind of vague romantic tension between a tsundere girl and a "bad boy" male lead? I just skimmed it, really.

Of course that's probably the laziest and most superficial (if not outright wrong) take on it, and now having completed chapter 15 I'm completely hooked. It's just a really, really great drama. Though there is decidedly a romance subplot, the larger themes about family, loneliness, and finding a place to belong are far more important and stronger. Good stuff.
This looks cool, too.

I need to learn to only read series that are already complete or have dozens of volumes already translated. I keep blowing through interesting stuff and then spending weeks fruitlessly checking to see if there's a new issue out.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 16, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I did the same. Again, I need to stop reading unfinished series. To be honest I thought it'd be more about the boxing angle, but it still works as a less focused drama. It's interesting to compare the slightly less realistic art with I am a Hero, at least for the character designs. The buildings and objects are insanely detailed in both series.

I started reading Paradise Kiss. It hasn't grabbed me yet. Even if it isn't exactly school-focused, it still has a high schooler as a protagonist. I'd much rather read about a salarywoman in the same position.

Maybe I'd like Nana better? It's by the same creator and it's about adults.

Edit: It isn't finished/translated yet. Nooooooooooooo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

And huge rear end sparkly eyes are the loving best thing.
They're the worst and the #1 reason I won't read things. Blank space is awesome in comparison. Too many mangakas suffer from horror vacui and have no idea how to lay things out except cram as much stuff into each page as possible.

I read Sekine-kun up to the latest translation and enjoyed it. It's basically the reverse of Angel Densetsu - everyone wants to know him because he's gorgeous, yet his face is just as alienating as an ugly one in its own way. I'm finding I can't completely relate to a lot of characters in these romantic mangas because they're so bloody uptight, though. One of the things I like about Boys on the Run etc is that people actually gently caress, talk about sex, and act like (often despicable) humans. I'm not particularly interested in the expected protocol that must be followed to have an 'appropriate' relationship, or reading someone thinking "I wonder if it is OK to hold his/her hand!?!" again. In short, I think too many mangakas are virgins :(.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 22, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Man, I started reading Kuragehime after running out of Kakukaku and it's so bloody good. I really didn't expect it to be my kind of thing but the author has a great touch and her style is so easy to read. Alternating between this and Dorohedoro is very interesting.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Now that I've caught up and have to wait for new stuff, it really drives home how little happens in each chapter. I think it could definitely be a life's work for the mangaka.

a kitten posted:

:3::kimchi::3:

Chapter ten of Kakukaku Shikajika is out too!
http://www.batoto.net/read/_/210426/kakukaku-shikajika_v2_ch10_by_hachimitsu-scans

Both of these series are hitting the ol' nostalgia button hard for me right now; KnT for the excitement and uncertainty of getting ready to leave home (or not) as graduation approaches and Kakukaku Shikajika for actually being in college and promptly becoming a dumbass who had a lot more fun running around like an idiot rather than, ya know, actually going to school.

Kakukaku Shikajika is so good. I'm a fair way through Kuragehime now and, although I'm enjoying it a lot, I think I love the autiobiographical inserts Higashimura does at the end of each volume better than the actual story. I guess that's why I find Kakukaku so compelling. I'm kind of alienated by the knowledge that she crushed so hard on that K-pop guy that she visited Korea multiple times just to buy his photo book and stuff. I can't understand that kind of mentality. I could sort of understand when she wanted to actually meet Koichi Morishita, however.

Are there any other 'autobiographical' mangas in the same style?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Meanwhile...

Kakukaku Shikajkika Chapter 12

Aag, what are you doing?

Actually, I'm pretty much under the impression that's exactly what the author is asking her younger self.

Her procrastination/self doubt is so relatable to me. I wish I'd had a ball-buster like her sensei keeping me straight when I was younger. It's strange reading something like this and knowing that she 'made it' despite her lacklustre start to uni. I wonder how the teacher will react to her manga aspirations if he finds out. I'm worried that he died before her success with Kuragehime, though.

Augustin Iturbide posted:

Does Taiyou no Ie ever get not weird or is that just baked into the premise?
It's baked in and I'm not sure why people like it so much. I read a few chapters and didn't really get it.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

What's "a few chapters"? It took a little bit to get going but it's a perfectly great drama now.

Also, did you read Cheese in the Trap yet Chas? If not, you totally should give it a try if you're aiming for a good ol' dramance.
I think I read up to Daiki appearing. Mao didn't grab me as a character. Hiro is sort of interesting in that he balances his sentimental motivation to get his family back together with the practicality of being a functioning adult. The juxtaposition of flighty, useless Mao and Hiro is tired, though. I put it aside to read Kuragehime and I don't regret the decision.

I haven't read Cheese in the Trap. What's it about? If you summarised it before I don't remember seeing, sorry.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Nate RFB posted:

To a certain extent that is why I like that the family drama is much more of a focal point (or at least it was), but it's not like she's underaged and/or Hiro is even in his 30's. Can't help but laugh though at the timing of bringing this up alongside what we were just discussing on the last page.
I'm not outraged by it, but the difference between a 17yr old and a 25yr old is massive, imo. I also don't think there's a particular narrative reason for her to be that young (she could be an adult and still get kicked out and have nowhere to go). I'm sure it's selling better because she's 17, helpless, and moe. It's not a relationship between equals in maturity, even if neither of them are underaged.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Captain Invictus posted:

It's a romance/drama manwha(Korean manga) about Hong Sul, a smart and realistically normal college girl who catches the eye of Yoo Jung, the seemingly perfect, brilliant, gorgeous and very, very rich top student at her college. Ever since then, she feels like all the misfortune that's befallen her in the past year is his fault. It's over 150 chapters long and still ongoing, with something like 120 chapters currently translated. While it can get kinda soap opera-ey at times, most of the time it's pretty outstanding and honestly handles some super touchy subjects in a much more open, realistic, and probably disturbing manner than most manga might. Things such as stalkers, sociopaths, social engineers, hate crime, and gays in korea are looked at in a pretty harsh, unflinching light. For the most part there's a lot of romance/drama/comedy though, and I really like the way the artist draws the characters, both in normal style and when he goes super low-detail, I love the faces they make.

Manwha tend to have a lot of space between panels though, so be prepared for that. I didn't mind it, but apparently some folks did?
OK, that sounds interesting. We've been watching a few Korean dramas after figuring out Netflix proxies so this is good timing. Also really cool that it tackles issues normally outside the playpen of adolescent safety most mangas exist in. Thanks for the write-up.

Captain Invictus posted:

edit: meant to put this in the previous post ffff

Honestly it gets more into Mao's life at home and how her parents treat her and is more about her dealing with the pretty loving awful position of being a child from a failed marriage that is basically being ignored by her father and new wife, and how she tries to amend that problem. It's not entirely about the Hiro/Mao relationship, it's flip-flopped between storylines as it goes.
Mm. I remember getting some of that already. Normally I love fiction that has 'found families', yet I don't care enough about Mao herself to buy into it. She reads as archetypal to me. Her peccadilloes and quirks don't drag her out of that predictable role in the story.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
UGH I did feel terrible reading that. It reminds me so much of how I disrespected people when I was her age. UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH. So much embarrassment by proxy.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The new Chihayafuru chapter is unbearably cute. Chihaya as Santa!

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
In maturity? More like 50.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ignis posted:

Kuragehime 65 :woop:

:laffo: Shuu's jellyfish hunting is hilarious. I missed this dumb manga so much.

I love it, but now I'd rather read her autobiographical stuff (including the bonuses at the end of volumes) than Kuragehime itself. I'm curious to find out whether this arc actually goes anywhere though.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Akiko Hageshimura (Jellyfish Princess, Kakukau Shikajika) is coming out with a new manga soon:

So that's something to look forward to.
Yaaas! Again, though, I wish she'd focus on Kakukaku. Guessing it doesn't pay the bills, though.

Can anyone recommend good 'odd couple' mangas? Doesn't have to be romantic, just a pairing of differing, strong personalities.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
eeeeeeeee! I mean, yeah, I was vaguely wondering what had happened to this manga.

I'm also wondering what happened to the manga about the girl who fancies an old train worker.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

jackofarcades posted:

Ore Monogatari is probably the funniest, but there's only 7 chapters out now.
Oh man. It's 3am and I had to stop reading it because I kept waking my wife up laughing at Takeo's faces. Really love it. Such a shame there are so few chapters bur at least they're pretty long.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Devil Tesla posted:

Two new chapters of Kakukaku Shikajika! That's pretty hilarious about her college boyfriend.

Yesss, return of the best current manga. It's weird how much I relate to her despite being almost the opposite of a female Japanese art student. I guess the idiocy of youth can be universal.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's all good. I actually really enjoy the meta stuff too. The mention of Mama no Tenparist in the text from her pal made me curious about it, but I can't find a translation anywhere.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

A new Kimi ni Todoke came out just the other day, in it Big Stuff Happens, and we learn that Sawako's text messages are pretty much exactly like you'd expect.

I'll admit, I've only seen the first season of the anime, but...

Big stuff:
One of the characters buys another character a birthday present, but it isn't the right one!
Two characters fall asleep together while holding hands?
A kiss with tongue?
Sawako fails a test because she is so in love with <guy I can't remember the name of>?
All the rumours about Sawako turn out to be true and the manga is passed on to Junji Ito (in which case, I would read it)?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Relax, I'm only joking. I haven't started reading it at the end. I was just hypothesising what 'Big Stuff' might be based on the first anime season. I enjoyed the side characters, but the main relationship didn't hook me, so I decided not to watch the second season or read the manga, despite liking the art style. The Chara song in the first season end credits is great.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Haha, "perhaps that leopard gecko I save a year ago has turned into a girl?":confused::confused:

Mr Serpent.

Would you like some juice?

OK, this is pretty cute so far.

~uguu~

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 10, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Terper posted:

I looked back a few pages and haven't seen any mention of it, so I'm going to take this chance and plug for Akagami no Shirayukihime, or "The Red-haired Snow White Princess", which got a bunch of updates a week back. Chapters 16-34 can be found here.

The prince of a country hears about a woman in his city with beautiful rare red hair, and decides to make her his concubine. Shirayuki, our protagonist, won't have any of that and tries to flee. In the forest she happens upon a group, and after helping one of them, a boy named Zan, they decide to protect her from the prince and his efforts to bring her in.

I really dig this one. It's a light-hearted fantasy, with great characters, good pacing, and some really sweet romance. Definitely check it out if you've missed out on it.
This looks cool, but I'm trying avoid series that aren't finished or over 300 chapters long right now. Way too many promising series stop getting translated.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I love how all of Shuunin's delinquent mates are great people. I'm glad it was a bumper chapter this time, too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Very cute again. I like the slightly sketchy art for the characters and the loving realism for the amphibians and reptiles. I also like that the romance is progressing quickly, although it all seems a bit insubstantial.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Candy Dawn posted:

I'm scared of the ones that are long since done but not scanned yet. Those are so loving frustrating ><
Yeah, it is frustrating. I'd still read it though, since where the translation ends is actually a better ending than most real manga endings.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
RE: Chihayafuru discussion on the previous page.

I gave it up after 3 episodes the first time I tried it and couldn't see the point and I've got a low tolerance for school-based stuff.

Fortunately I tried it again, and I think Chihayafuru grabbed me when I realised it's actually a singleminded, hardcore sport story. I think of it in terms of Giant Killing and Rock'n'Roll Ricky rather than other shoujo stuff. There is romance but it'll always be secondary to becoming the Very Best, at least in Chihaya's mind.

In shoujo/josei news I've been reading Futago and enjoying it a lot. The art is good and the characters are fairly well-drawn. Yukari, the protagonist, is relatable and kind of refreshing. Perhaps because, so far, she seems mature and capable.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 4, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Everything Burrito posted:

Chocolat has finally been completely translated. I've been following this...jeez, for probably 10 years. Feels good to reach the end after all this time. I was getting a little worried there with the last few chapters as to how it was going to turn out, too. :ohdear:

This is a weird coincidence. I just started reading it last night after aimlessly browsing Batoto. I love Amon and the art is excellent.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Between Smooth and Rough: Chapter 4
:frogbon:

Or any number of other frog-based emoticons that might apply.
Cute as usual. I'd definitely rather touch frogs than touch butterflies. They creep me out way more than amphibians. The butterfly house at the zoo was an absolute trial.
I think my manliness level just decreased and not jus because I'm posting in the shoujo thread.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's really good. Reminds me a little of The Books of Magic and a 2000AD series I'm forgetting the name of.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Devil Tesla posted:

Kakukaku Shikajika updated! If you haven't been following it, it's the autobiographical manga from the author of Princess Jellyfish, and it's also really good! We're up to the point where she's less lovably aimless and selfish and is actually working hard but it's still funny and I want to see where it goes!
"It's the best!" as Cooking Papa would say. I like Kuragehime but I look forward to Kakukaku so much more nowadays.

And now she's writing one (I guess Kuragehime is about that in some respects, too).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Terper posted:

Oh my gosh you guys, it's another chapter of Ore Monogatari!!!
Yesssssssssssss. I want to buy the first volume but getting hold of it in a format I want in the UK seems tricky.

Edit: I sprained/perhaps broke my ankle playing football earlier so I'm going to spend the next 48 turning into a fossil on my bed. I need a long, complete page turner to distract me from the molten ball of pain at the end of my leg. Manga about adults is preferable but I'll take high schoolers if they aren't completely uguu.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 6, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Those chapters couldn't have come at a better time. I don't think any manga makes me laugh purely with the expressions the characters make. The artist conveys their personalities so well.

I'm not sure where Suna's character is going. I wonder if there'll be a followup to the chapter about his dad.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Allarion posted:

New Kakukaku Shikajika. I really enjoy her present day spontaneous moments.
I'm curious about how her uni boyfriend made the transition from sculpture student to salaryman. Most sculptors I know (ok, most art students) ended up working in retail/catering or decided to get a different degree (which I imagine is what he did).

The page with the time machine sums this whole manga up perfectly.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Allarion posted:

Another chapter of Kakukaku Shikajika! Sensei continues to be pretty great, so hearing all these regrets is pretty painful, especially since I'm sure we've all been there. :smith:

I've never read anything by Akihito Yoshitomi but his first series, Eat-man, is fully translated for anyone who's curious. Dude's also done a bunch of yuri, which I'm not that familiar with so can't say much about it.
I think it's funny how worried she was a few chapters ago about revealing that she wanted to be a mangaka to her sensei and it turns out he already taught one. Eat Man sounds hilarious. Sure, there are regrets in this chapter, but I remember worrying that sensei would die when she was away at uni or something. At least they had some more good times in the class together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's the best, as Cooking Papa would say. There's something about her art that feels natural and fresh, and I love the realism of her recollections. I feel like a poo poo for not being more dedicated to my dreams, though. The whole bit a couple of chapters ago about her working fulltime, doing a series, and helping out at the art class really struck me, especially since she goes on to say that it wasn't that much work in hindsight. I work exactly 7.5hrs a day at an easy job, come home, and find excuses not to be creative until it's time to fall asleep.