Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I just rewatched all of Clannad over the last three days since it first came out.

I don't know why I didn't remember it as much as I did, but man did it wreck me all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Dan7el posted:

Amen to that. Clannad is an awesome series. Anyone know if "After Story" is currently or ever will be dubbed?

Seems like it has been. Quick check on amazon pulled this up:

http://www.amazon.com/Clannad-After-Story-Complete-Collection/dp/B004JST21W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313797335&sr=8-1

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

The Black Stones thinks that they can't gently caress up Usagi Drop's anime since there's only three episodes left. As the anime thread is a no-manga-allowed zone, I'm responding to it here:

It's very easy! In the last five minutes of the last episode, it cuts to adult Rin and Daikichi married and looking at photo albums, remembering the old days.

Presto, ruined anime to go along with a ruined manga.

Yeah, that seems stupidly unlikely. If they ARE going to expand on the series, they're going to give it another season. They won't do a bombshell LOOK AT THIS in the last five minutes. The series will either end in the first part, or it'll get renewed for another season, but that scenario just sounds so silly.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

I do have a question about a series though! Are Clannad and/or Kanon good enough to merit me watching them even though I really can't stand the character designs? I've got a pretty high tolerance for ~anime~ but, the faces in that really bother me, they look like god drat bugs or something.

Clannad and Kanon are pretty hit or miss with people. They're a huge hit with me, Clannad being one of my top 5 favorite anime, but I can see where people wouldn't like them.

If you find yourself able to appreciate bittersweet stories, you will probably like it, and even moreso if you have the ability to overlook some really cheesy plot points (supernatural stuff exists in these worlds). I really love them though, so they're some of my favorites (I actually didn't like Air that much though).

I don't see where the character designs are much different than most other anime, at least not in the KyoAni versions, but that's not a point for me to make. I will say, that the background art in these shows (especially Kanon) is incredible, and even 5 years later when I see the high-def version I'm still in awe. But if the character designs really bother you, then I suppose you'll have to watch a few episodes to see if you can stand it.

I recommend jumping into Kanon first. I liked Clannad more overall (again, one of my favorite shows of all time), but it's more of an investment (really the payoff of that series doesnt happen until the incredible second season, even though the first is still very enjoyable). If you like the style of humor in the show (and there is a lot of amazingly well written humor), then I think you should be able to get along with them. And again, to this day I'm still in awe with the scenic art in Kanon.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 5, 2011

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

Fuko showing up like a short, clumsy magical girl and (not) helping a couple times has been pretty funny. It'll be interesting to see where they go with her, even though I was told there was supernatural elements in the story, I was a bit surprised by how prominent it's been.

To be fair to Clannad, outside of the Fuko storyline there isn't a whole lot of supernatural elements to the show (well, one other storyline mostly but it's that of a minor character).

I was mostly talking about Kanon when I wrote about that, where the supernatural stuff is freaking everywhere.

And yeah, After Story really fleshes Tomoya out more as a character. In the first season he's mostly defined by two traits. 1) Being nice to the girls and 2) being a dick to Sunohara. Dick Tomoya is the best Tomoya though.

Glad you're enjoying the show though. I can't wait until you get far into After Story. That's where the real plot of Clannad takes place.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 25, 2011

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Yeah, I know about all that, I just didn't really want to mention any of it because it doesn't come into play for pretty much the entirety of the series. There's a lot of heavy foreshadowing, but still, for pretty much the entire series it doesn't really affect the storyline.

Don't give away too much though, man. :)

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

Oh hey Aoi Hana: Chapter 5 Extra just got put up on dynasty-scans. Mostly interesting for the little behind the scenes peek at the end of it. The newest actual chapter is out (I think) but hasn't been scanlated yet, hopefully that will be out soon though, it's been a while between releases.

Speaking of Takako Shimura, my copy of Wandering Son should be here Thursday, it's going to be nice to have an actual physical copy of my favorite mangaka's work to read.

Still really enjoying Clannad, I finished up the first season and an alternate path episode* and am now two episodes into After Story, like I said a bit earlier I learned a giant huge spoiler about something in this season but I don't really know details of when (seriously not kidding around giant gently caress-off spoilers:siren:)Nagisa dies during childbirth, I feel almost like I'm watching this while covering my eyes but peeking through my fingers, that's not a bad thing, it means I'm involved in the characters, but ugh I think that's going to be rough.

*which was also really good, I was glad to see how that turned out.

CLANNAD SPOILERS regarding what was posted
It kinda sucks that you know about it, but I do have to say, even knowing about the event ahead of time, it can still hit you like a sack of bricks. I've only watched "that episode" twice (I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to stuff like that), and I've rewatched most of the other episodes many more times. The first time back when it first came out like 3 years ago, and the second time like last month when I did a rewatch of the whole series. I was just as ruined the second time as I was the first.

I do have to say though, that some of my favorite moments in the series comes after that, so you have a lot to look forward to regardless. I'm a little jealous actually and I hope that you continue to enjoy the series.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I just watched ef - A Tale of Memories and ef - A Tale of Melodies over the last few days. One of the most visually stunning series I've ever seen, and also one of the most draining. I was very entertained though, especially with the second season (though my favorite story arc was in the first).

I think it's a great story if anyone's looking for one that's not too long (each season is 12 episodes).

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I don't think you'd find many fans of the Clannad anime that would disagree with your feelings that the thing was slightly disjointed. It was, as Nate said, a visual novel adaptation, one with multiple paths that seldom overlapped characters. It's one of the biggest reasons why After Story is regarded higher than Clannad's first season.

In the end, Clannad is the story between Tomoya and Nagisa (and later Ushio). The other stories are nice, but ultimately they are side stories, and without the "win the girl" portion of their stories from the visual novel, they kind of fall by the wayside. Once the main story kicks back on track though, I don't think I can think of any show or movie in recent times that could make me quite as emotional as Clannad did.

Fun fact (minor Clannad game spoilers): All the girls joining the theater club wasn't a part of Nagisa's route, it's actually from Kotomi's route. Nagisa's route had barely any overlap with the other girls, other than recruiting either Kyou or Tomoyo for the 3-on-3 basketball game. The school play was a little sad because it was really only Tomoya, Nagisa, and Sunohara as part of the theater club. I'm glad they stuck with the Kotomi route's thing of having all the girls join the club.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 8, 2011

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I'm rewatching Kare Kano for the first time in like 6 years, and I think I'm in love with it again. I've completely forgotten what it was like to have both the male and female shoujo anime leads not be useless sacks of blushing and stuttering.

Miyazawa is completely awesome.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

What manga is this?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I don't know if anyone here's seen Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu, it doesn't seem like it's very popular here. I stumbled onto it on Crunchyroll earlier this week, and I'll be god damned if it's not one of the most adorable things I've ever seen.

It's complete fluff, and nothing deep or anything, but seriously I think I like all the characters involved. The main plot is that the lead girl is one of those super perfect people, great at academics and music. She has a secret hobby of being an otaku, and the main boy finds it out, and it freaks the girl out. The boy convinces her that he'll keep it a secret, and they become friends. It's another one of those romantic comedies where the leads just won't say they like each other, but at least unlike all the other ones, Haruka and Yuuto are basically a couple in everything but name. Haruka is also voiced by Mamiko Noto (Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke), which makes everything she says pretty damned adorable.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

If anyone besides me is reading Aoi Hana it would be nice to hear some opinions about it and how it is going that aren't as likely to make me as annoyed as reading things about it (or really any anime/manga) from other places on the internet. Also, if you do like it you should add your opinion to the ADTRWiki too.

Actually I had just started (and finished) watching this series two weekends ago, and as of last weekend I've caught up with the manga.

Very sweet story, though at least one point had me screaming BAD IDEA BAD IDEA in my head. Given that it's a fictional story though I'm going to roll with it, but if it happened in real life that would probably be my reaction. I am enjoying it very much though!

EDIT: Also to complete my shoujotastic Thanksgiving weekend, I watched the first two seasons of Maria-sama ga Miteru, and it's a cute series so far. A bit melodramatic, but I really like the characters a lot. Currently watching the OAVs on that series.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 29, 2011

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Mura posted:

Hiyokoi got 2 new updates in the last few days. I'm hoping that this means the series is updating on a regular basis again.

Thanks for posting this one, I just read the whole thing.

I enjoyed it a lot, kinda reminded me of Kimi ni Todoke with better pacing. Hoping for more cute stuff in the future chapters.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

You gotta be careful though, too much of it will rot your brain and you'll start seeing it everywhere...like in Bodacious Space Pirates, for example. :blush:

Aww man, I wasn't even thinking about that and now that's going to be in the back of my mind everytime I watch that (awesome) anime.

Thanks a lot, jerk. :mad:

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Oh drat. Kodomo no Omacha was on my to-watch list from like 10 years ago, but I completely forgot about it until now.

Thanks guys! I have to track it down!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

coathat posted:

Found a cool one Taiyou no Ie. It's touching but not overly dramatic funny and cute. But of course it only has 7 chapters translated. I'm such a moron for reading stuff when there is so little of it out.

Wow, that was really good. Thanks for the link.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

LightWarden posted:

Glass Mask is really old. Started in 1976, it's a pretty influential series that many shoujo series owe something to. It's the story of a girl with a talent for acting who's discovered by a reclusive master of theater, and her ensuing ups and downs (and awesome rivalries) as she develops. Despite its age, it's still pretty drat good, and you can enjoy it for its weird sparkly charm.

Way back from page 1, I've heard of this many times but I just now began reading it on Sunday and holy god drat I'm already caught up. It's like everything I wish Skip Beat was, but man they love their melodrama. I'll chalk that up to being from the 70s though.

A great series. Also includes my favorite RIVAL character since Niizuma Eiji from Bakuman.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 28, 2012

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

It's still focusing on Ren. It's still the most boring part of the story.

I'm still reading it cause it takes like, 10 minutes a month, but man I really wish the plot would move back on to Kyoko.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Newest chapter of Skip Beat actually didn't focus entirely on Ren, and actually had Kyoko go back to school.

Thus, it was actually a lot of fun!

Kill Ren already :(

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I jumped into the manga right where the anime ended. I didn't feel lost really, but you might want to skip back just a few chapters because they do change a few minor things around.

I eventually re-read the entire series, but despite some things being changed, the gist of everything is pretty much the same. So you don't have to start from the beginning unless you just really want to.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I love the Sasamekikoto manga as well. I wasn't too fond of the anime, because it feels like almost everything of consequence happened after the anime ended. I guess Aoi Hana kind of did that too, but at least they had a large story arc that the anime covered. The Sasamekikoto anime just felt like they barely scratched the surface of the story.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

quaunaut posted:

Edit2: I spoke too soon. omg. I'm having a fit. When do we get the next one? Today, right? Like, it needs to be today. Please. :cry:

Welcome to the "It's been 2 months why isn't there a new chapter yet?" club!

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

coathat posted:

Well if you don't read chapter 11 right now you might be late again. http://www.batoto.net/read/_/98082/taiyou-no-ie_v3_ch11_by_maigo

It's so good! Like ridiculously good.

I think I had something in my eye when I read the end of that chapter...

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I recently read through the available chapters of a manga called Yandere Kanojo. It's about a deliquent girl who falls in love with a normal guy, but has to hide their relationship keep her reputation intact. If that sounds like Onidere to you, that's because it's pretty much the same. Except for me personally, I dropped Onidere after a couple of chapters while I found this to be pretty endearing. It's not all dawwwwww but there are a lot of good moments.

It was reversed for me. I finished Onidere but I could only get a few chapters into this one. Though honestly it was probably because I was tired of the premise from Onidere already when I read this one. Who knows if I would have chosen the same if I read them in reverse order.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Holy poo poo, new Hiyokoi

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/100567/hiyokoi_v7_ch25_by_shoujo-crusade

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Yeah, After Story is the payoff of Clannad. It completely overshadows the first season and is way, way, way better.

The game is alright too, but it takes a lot of annoying effort because you can't go to After Story in the game until you complete like, everyone's routes. Towards the end on the characters I didn't care about at all, I just basically fast forwarded through the whole thing.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Mura posted:

New Hiyokoi. Two new Hiyokois, to be precise. Looks like I was right when I said they're doing it volume by volume.

Looks like the arc is about over, resolved with Hiyori friend-zoning Kou.

Hey, look at that! Actual communication between the main character and the love interest when something is wrong or bothering them! I'm looking your way, Kimi ni Todoke.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

coathat posted:

Tonari no Kibutsu-kun is going to get an anime. Get hype!

I can't seem to ever get excited over anime adaptations of shoujo manga these days. They always seem to end before anything meaningful happens. The only recent exception I can think of is Kimi ni Todoke, and that's because we just luckily happened to get a second season.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Kusaru posted:

Sukitte Ii na yo, too. Another series that I like pretty well. The protagonists are actually pretty similar, now that I think about it.

You don't have to worry too much about that for these two series, in both they get together really early on and the series is more about their relationship ups and downs. I'm pretty sure in Sukitte Ii na yo, they're together by the end of the second chapter, and probably the end of the first volume in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun. I'm cautiously optimistic for both!

I haven't read Sukitte Ii na yo, and I may be wrong because it's been a while since I read it, but in Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, aren't they still not together in the manga? I remember some kind of confessing going on but I remember that they still haven't quite gotten together. Again, it's been a long time since I read it though.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Anyone here read Usotsuki Lily?

I passed by it for so long because the summary always read as something, well, bad... but it's actually extremely funny.

The author makes breaking the fourth wall into an extreme artform. It's almost beautiful.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Oh hey, there's apparently a Lovely Complex sequel.

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/love-com%E2%98%85two-r5309

Seems like Risa's little brother is the main character in this one.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

a kitten posted:

From what I recall it sold really, terribly poorly; it wouldn't surprise me if it got licensed cheaply just to try to squeeze anything resembling money out of it. It's not the most exciting anime ever, mainly because it's a slow story and it barely gets rolling, but as long as the pricing is reasonable I'll pick it up for sure. It's beautifully drawn and animated and it's super cool that it's getting a release here at all.

I think that Sasameki Koto sold really poorly as well; both of those titles tanking like they did makes it seem unlikely to me that they'll make more of either of them, and also makes me think that the chances of any shows like them being made any time soon are abysmal.

It doesn't help that both of these series animes end before, well... the good parts of the story happen at all. Sasameki Koto is especially guilty of this. I didn't really care about that anime at all, but later when I read the manga and actually got further into the main story, it ended up being waaaaaaaaaay better.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

New Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

God drat finally.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

New Kimi ni Todoke:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/kimi_ni_todoke/v15/c072/

Wherein Kazehaya picks up from where he left off last chapter, increasing his "chapters in recent history that don't end with him being a douche" count to 2 (I still think he was pretty stupid even here, but I'll at least attribute that to high school dumbass syndrome).

New Hiyokoi:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/hiyokoi/v06/c029/

The quality of the translation on this one doesn't feel very good. Maybe wait until a better one comes out if stuff like that bothers you. The chapter is cute though.

Also for good shoujo ai that hasn't been mentioned yet, check out Girl Friends

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Want to feel really, really angry at god drat shoujo?

Watch Bokura ga Ita.

I spent the weekend watching that series, then read the manga to finish it off over the last couple of days. It will make you rage over stupid teenage (and later, adults acting like stupid teenager) decisions, and half the time I wanted to throw a stapler across the room. But it's got some good dialog, and a generally likeable cast. Also, its not quite as stupid as Kimi no Iru Machi so I guess there's that, but that's a little bit of a low bar. But while the anime ends halfway through the story, the manga does carry the cast into adulthood, so you get some nice post-high school drama (though in some of the cases, they might as well still have been in high school).

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Blhue posted:

Huh, I guess I should read that then. I suppose I should have realized that the show wasn't the whole story by how pointless and non-climactic the ending was.

Be ready to rage at the VERY FIRST CHAPTER where the story picks up after the anime ends.

For reference, the anime ends on chapter 31 of the manga (there are a few pages of that chapter that go past where the anime ends though).

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

I hate Kimi ni Todoke's habit of breaking one single sentence into 2 word segments in separate chat bubbles. It makes me feel like they're all talking like Shatner.

I mean, it happens in almost every manga, it just feels like it happens ALL THE TIME in Kimi ni Todoke.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Hey look what's back!

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/bonnouji/v01/c023/

Willsun posted:

I'm also wanting to try out Suki-tte Ii na yo since I haven't seen any promising shoujo anime since Kimi ni Todoke. I actually wanted to watch that first before Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, but I thought I might not enjoy Tonari and wanted to get it out of the way. Anyone watched both so far? How does Suki-tte measure up?

I really enjoy the Suki-tte Ii na yo manga, but I think the anime so far has been pretty dull. The art just seems off like hell and the execution is pretty bad. I'm keeping up with it because it isn't terrible, but I can't say I'm not just a bit disappointed.

The manga is pretty fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

How is Bonnouji so consistently god drat good?!

Treats anime characters like adults. Foreign concepts.