Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm the "watching the first episode of Usagi Drop lowered my blood pressure by 10 points" guy. I still stand by it, and indeed hope they do some Executive Meddling and change the final storyline if they continue the anime. I heard the Usagi Drop ending was bad, like really, really, really bad, this was shortly before I started the anime. So after watching the five episodes on Crunchyroll, I decided to blitz through the manga to see what the fuss was about. Boy howdy, I actually laughed at how bad the ending was. It was easily the most hamfisted out of the blue and out of character Gainax Ending I've ever seen. I like the final chapter's author's note, "look forward to my future works!"

Lady, I hope you become a loving industry pariah after pulling that poo poo. I would love to see the reaction from Yen Press after they saw how it ended, because I am sure that sort of thing won't fly well in the US(especially with Usagi Drop being nominated for an Eisner Award) and they've already put out multiple volumes.

I was getting a bit nervous and thinking that was where it was heading even before the timeskip, because of all the blushing Rin did. But I figured like, she or someone would abruptly die in a train crash or something absurdly morbid, and that was the really bad ending. But no, my initial fear proved true. I kinda want the upcoming "bonus chapter" to reveal that the final plotline was all just an insane hallucination as Rin bleeds out in the street after being hit by a car. It'd be better than what we loving got, at least. Jesus.

I actually liked the timeskip. It was interesting, though not as :3:adorable:3:. The stuff between Kouki and Rin was pretty entertaining and made sense. I literally facepalmed when, at the last loving second, Rin's mom deadpans "Soichi wasn't the father. You're not blood relatives." That was the worst part about it to me, the entire ordeal was an abomination, but that part was the worst sort of M. Night Shyamalan WHAT A TWEEST!-ing that enabled the resulting finale!

Hortism posted:

As bad as the ending is, the people that actually LIKE the ending because it's not a cliche are far worse.
Yeah I found a few of those. They're so bad. And not in the Power Glove way(major Usagi Drop spoilers here):

cecropiamoth posted:

Things like this ending happen. People and their feelings are infinitely variable. It seems to me valid to tell a story about one relationship that develops this way. With these two not being blood-related, there is no incest. I imagine people, especially fathers, are generally rational in the feelings they choose to allow themselves to have about daughters or daughter stand-ins. I have no children, but I can't imagine ever contemplating incest with a daughter without thoroughly rejecting the idea immediately. But then, this is not that case.

The great thing about Japanese manga and anime is that they are willing to contemplate the vagaries of the human heart that in the USA are bottled up and thrown away down the toilet, labeled "sin". It seems very clear to me that the mangaka of this story began bending the story in this direction some time ago (when the nice single mom who was perfect for Daichi unaccountably rejected him), if only in order to make the manga more sensational and able to sell longer. Then the new Tokyo law came into effect in July, apparently designed to pressure publishers and writers to "clean" up their act, by making more sexually adventurous and ecchi stories classifiable as "adult only" and so not able to be sold to minors, thereby killing much of the profit from those.

So this makgaka, who could have developed this new final arc of the story up through a bunch of the people in the manga getting furious at Dachichi, and proceeding right up to a marriage ceremony, at least, was sandbagged.

The mangaka and her editors then proceeded to chicken out and dropped this final story arc like a hot potato! We are going to see this happen again. Money talks.

If by chance Japan is now going to head in the direction of the puritanical USA, then that is going to be sad.
:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Forgot to mention this

musouka posted:

Not only that, but the ending deliberately ties Rin's behavior in the early chapters to her romantic feelings. So, for me personally, it even taints the early chapters.
This, exactly. The final storyline ruins the ENTIRE SERIES. You can't just "forget the ending existed" because it taints the whole series once you've read it. It's not just a "bad ending", it's an ending that goes back and ruins all the good stuff too because it eliminates anything that might be construed as innocent.

It really is the worst ending. It actually made me mad, that's how bad it was. FFFFFFFFFFffff

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Azuma has more experience and has been doing this for a lot longer than the Usagi Drop person, who I believe they said it was their first series? And was only supposed to be a single volume originally?

Maybe they got disgruntled from executive meddling stretching the series out and wrote up that middle finger ending.

I want to know what the reaction to the last storyline was in Japan. Torches and pitchforks? Disgusting sycophancy? The anime and movie were both planned before the final storyline right?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

cisneros posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity, how did they explain Rin not being related to Daikichi? was her mom been lying all this time thus making her the worst person ever?
I think it's really loving funny that someone on Crunchyroll who hasn't actually read the manga guessed exactly how it went and described it better than anyone else I've seen has(even if it isn't outright said in the manga, it's very much implied):

quote:

Note: I haven't read the manga, so this is pure guessing, however I mention a few things from the latest episode.

I don't believe that Daikichi's grandfather is really Rin's father, for a couple reasons:

- The age: he'd be about 72-73 when Rin was conceived. While there's definitely stories of older fathers out there, he must be shooting lots of blanks at that age
- The mother's age: After the last episode, while we don't have an exact age for Rin's mom, she looks like she's in her late 20s at the latest, which means she was in her early 20s when Rin was conceived. I can't see how a man old enough to be her great grandfather would be able to get into her pants, unless ALOT of alcohol was involved.
- From what little we've seen about the grandfather, I just can't see Rin's mom being his type; she seems like a total bitch while he seemed to be a kindly old man.

What I believe happened:

Rin's mom probably got knocked up by her boyfriend at the time, who split before/after finding out she was pregnant. Since she was the grandfather's maid at the time, she probably talked about the pregnancy to him while over at his place, mentioning how she didn't want the child, and how it would ruin her life and dreams of becoming a manga artist.

Instead of the unborn child ending up in an orphanage or worse, the grandad decided to make up a story with the mother that he was actually the father, and told her he'd raise the child himself, while she could continue to visit it while cleaning for him. The rest of the story we've seen.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DarthJon posted:

So you guys have heard of the Thornbirds right?

What exactly excuses it in Usagi Drop just because it's been done before.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also that he knew from the start she wasn't his blood relative, and it's only revealed in the second to last loving chapter.

Ham-fisted barely begins to describe it, and that's ignoring that it comes out of nowhere as the loving series finale. There is no other leadup that can't be written off as innocent(until you've read the finale). It looked to me like she didn't want to do the story anymore and just threw it in the toilet to end it as quickly as possible. Or she's just creepy, which is also entirely possible.

edit: no, the true villain of Usagi Drop is Daikichi's hesitation in going after Kouki's mom early on!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Stop putting words in people's mouths. Nobody said it was LITERALLY HITLER. You're getting outraged in this thread about things people are saying in other threads, which is all fine and dandy, but stop acting like it's specifically us who are saying that, because nobody's posts in this thread have. I've actually gone on to begin reading My Girl and will soon finally give Beelzebub a shot after reading UD.

And I have, in fact, been recommending Usagi Drop to a lot of people regardless. I just tell them that about a half dozen chapters before the end, the author decided to ruin the series, and that "you'll know when it starts and you'll probably want to stop reading at that point because it's downhill from there".

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 15, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Holy moly, My Girl is a loving rollercoaster of :smith: and :unsmith:. I finally started really reading it, I'm on chapter 14 and Jesus Christ. Is it monthly? Bimonthly? How often does it come out, it says it was released in 2007 but there's only 24 chapters up, did the group translating it drop it?

I was told it's like Usagi Drop, but it really isn't. It's cute but it's a hell of a lot more depressing as it goes.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Aug 19, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, I'm seeing that now that I'm on chapter 23, there's a whole lot of drama and not as much parenting/family antics like you would see in Usagi Drop's first half or Yotsuba.

It's still damned good though. Maybe not as good as pre-43 Usagi Drop was or Yotsuba consistently is, but it's still excellent and adorable. Also his dad reminds me of Suguru from Mahoromatic, but with a ridiculous moustache.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Black Stones thinks that they can't gently caress up Usagi Drop's anime since there's only three episodes left. As the anime thread is a no-manga-allowed zone, I'm responding to it here:

The Black Stones posted:

I don't know why people still think this is going to happen. There is 2 episodes left. If they were going to have gone for the manga's ending they would have prepared for it by now.
It's very easy! In the last five minutes of the last episode, it cuts to adult Rin and Daikichi married and looking at photo albums, remembering the old days.

Presto, ruined anime to go along with a ruined manga.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Jesus, it wasn't serious or I EXPECT IT TO END THIS WAY DEFINITELY. It was meant to be absurd. I absolutely think that if they mention the timeskip at all it'll be like what was suggested by Black Stone.

And yeah Kweh, Usagi Drop's ending did sour the rest of it for a lot of people. Now when I suggest it to people I just tell them to stop reading at chapter 43.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If you haven't watched the Usagi Drop anime yet, I suggest doing so. It's exceptionally well done, completely disregards the timeskip and manga ending, and is cute as a button.

(*' 3 '*)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

coathat posted:

New kuragehime http://www.mangafox.com/manga/kuragehime/v08/c040/1.html

Any one who liked the Anime but didn't like how it ends should really read the manga. It's really awesome.
I don't want to blindly fumble around the chapters trying to find the right one and spoiling something by accident, which chapter is when the anime ends and manga picks up?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
On chapter 34 of Kuragehime and I've gotta say I much, much, MUCH prefer the direction the manga's taken as opposed to the anime's rather rushed final episodes.

Plus, Mayaya actually became useful for something!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So I guess that My Girl by Sahara Mizu has been dropped by all the groups scanlating it, and also that the entire series has now been completed in five volumes.

Is there an SA scanning group? It's a really great series and I'd love to see the rest of it. I'd chip in if it'd take some kind of commission to get it finished properly.

edit: I just got an email saying that chapter 25 just got released RIGHT NOW, I'm guessing a goon who is on one of the scanlation teams saw my post? :v:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Nov 4, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DrSunshine posted:

Looks like they've scanlated some chapters of another manga by the woman who did Bunny Drop.

This one is about a family of four! It's very cute.

Yoiningurashi. No relation with Higurashi.

Never trusting anything they make ever again. "It's very cute" is what Bunny Drop was at the start, too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pollyanna posted:

I'm gonna be a horrible person and plug something I translated in here. :shobon:

Husky and Medley is a manga adaptation of 2ch thread from around 2008 or so about a girl trying to get with her classmate with the help of the internet. What sets it apart, aside from it being (sort of) nonfiction, is that it actually goes past that point. The whole thing is a realistically entertaining and downright adorable look into the life of a high school kid and her girlfriend. I reread it just recently and decided to fangirl over everyone remotely willing to listen so forgive me if I sound like an idiot right now :3: but it's something I'm extremely proud of being able to share with the english-speaking world because god dammit it's just so awesome.

http://mangafox.me/manga/husky_and_medley/

Incidentally, this is where Sweetiex2 comes from, for those of you into Vocaloid. So yeah go read it read it now.
Hey, that was really drat good. Thanks, that was a great cheer up feel-good kind of story.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are there any other feel-good, based on reality stories like Husky and Medley?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I wasn't talking about yuri specifically. Just any good romance that's based on a real story, and not just tangentially.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Mahoromatic's manga ending is great. Suguru did exactly what he said he'd do if Mahoro disappeared, he'd revert back to the way he used to be before Mahoro came into his life. With the addition of becoming a vengeful avatar of destruction whose sole reason for existence is hunting down and exterminating every last member of The Keepers. The creepy stuff is a bummer. There's not really any excuse for having so much of it and so detailed, dude's got a thing for little girls(and teachers). When the artist isn't perving out it's a cute short series that has some super wacky character designs and questionable art quality at many points.

I wouldn't hate cats if I could have one that was as big as a dog, could speak, shoot lasers, and had the personality of a crotchety old man.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 25, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My Girl has finally been updated with three new chapters. I wonder what'll happen in'em. :allears:

edit: these scanlations for the last few chapters are kinda rough, but I'll tolerate'em because more My Girl!

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 18, 2012

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 30 of My Girl has been released. At least they're still coming, albeit slowly...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 36 of My Girl is out, there've been a good clump of new chapters lately, scanlations have been coming out much more frequently than before. This one is especially great. How long is this series, 50 chapters I've heard, is that correct? If so, there's still a pretty decent amount of chapters to go before it finishes.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
New My Girl. I really like this one and the previous chapter. I also love the simplified faces the artist gives Koharu when she's happy or playing, they're really cute, almost Yotsuba-like.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
How is Bonnouji so consistently god drat good?!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, what is it, 44 chapters? It would suck to get a downer ending with that series.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://www.mangareader.net/my-girl-sahara-mizu/42

My Girl 42's out, only a couple more to go I believe. We seem to be headed for a happy ending after all. I'm so glad! This chapter was really adorable and heartwarming.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The final two chapters of My Girl were just released together.

I'm really glad I got to see this series all the way to the end. I'm also really happy it ended the way it did, and didn't overstay its welcome. The characters were adorable, the faces were great, about the only complaint I have is everyone's ears, but that's a minor one. I'm so glad it didn't end on a downer note.

If you haven't, I'd suggest giving My Girl a read through now that it's over.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Where the gently caress are the Bonnouji updates. It's two months out of date! :argh:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, it's manga, but you should probably read Bonnouji. It's really good and doesn't hide stuff.

I'd argue for a Bonnouji thread on its own, it's that good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, Bonnouji and Jellyfish Princess are the two I'd recommend. Though for some reason it feels like neither has been updated in forever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sahara Mizu's My Girl was also really good, and ended really strong. I'd definitely suggest it for an OP spot.

It's essentially a slightly more melancholy Usagi Drop that doesn't poo poo the bed at the end.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
These latest Kuragehime chapters have been pretty great. I like that there's a big bad now, and chapter 59's ending is quite something else. Wonder what'll happen with that!

"This is a gathering for losers, after all." :smug:

That should be the subtitle for ADTRW.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 26, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And speaking of Bonnouji, has it been dropped by the group that was scanlating it?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So how many volumes does that make all told, 3 or 4?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That post is SO ANIME. You can HEAR the record scratch after the first paragraph.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Someone mentioned Sasameki Koto in the convince-with-one-panel thread. So I read it, and it was...not great? Good? Alright? I like a good bit about it, the almost complete lack of fanservice, the artstyle(the artist really does good "Bomberman faces" and low-detail goofy faces, characters aren't overly sexualized and for the most part can be easily told apart) some of the characters, the backgrounds, Miyako also owns for being such a jerkass and having really great low-detail(is there a term for that?) faces when she talks poo poo about people. I liked interaction between the leads when they weren't critical moments being conveniently interrupted so they could forget about them or waffle on them for 3-4 chapters at a time, but eventually it got to a point where you could tell they were together but it didn't necessarily need the I LOVE YOU trigger to kick it off, though there was eventually a few of those thrown about. Some of the character growth was really well done and gradually changed though.

I didn't like how it felt disjointed a lot(didn't the author say it was initially just a one-shot that got serialized?), some of the characters were pretty pointless, many of the tangents were awful and could have been cut entirely, the cliches abounded(the ditz who they even lampshade!, the tween-in-high-school, The Scrappy(Mayu), the secret crossdressing boy, convenient interruptions delay advancement by entire volumes, the series ends literally as the two main characters go for broke) not that they're entirely bad things necessarily, and some are done decently enough. Scenes drag out, seemingly shoehorned characters are added, I dunno.

I think I liked it, overall, but it wasn't amazing, I wouldn't even say it's great. It was overall fun but way longer than it needed to be. It could also just be called Every Character's A Secret Lesbian and be done with it, though I have a feeling that could go for a lot of the same genre stuff.

Is there something like that that's less...filler-ey? It really seemed like executive meddling might've caused a bunch of extra stuff to be shoved in, turning it into a Ranma-esque drawn-out love story with wacky hijinks and convenient character placement stopping confessions and stuff, and small moves forward would be made and then utterly set aside for really grueling/bland deviations. And as always, I do enjoy a story, such as Bonnouji, that doesn't spend an eternity building up to a relationship and then having the actual end of the series being the cementing of that relationship. That might just be one of my biggest pet peeves, series that do that. Or hell, a series that isn't afraid to say/show that sex is a normal and healthy part of a relationship(again, like Bonnouji) and not some mythical goal or taboo not to be mentioned at all.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 12, 2013

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Dunno if B Gata H Kei counts since it's pretty...Ranma-esque? in its romance (for a while at least), but against my better judgement I plowed through the whole 300 chapters of it. It could, of course, be shortened by as much as half since there's a bunch of repeated gags and stuff over the course of the seven years it ran for, but at the end of it, it was a really enjoyable series. I thought it would just be a cute wacky "sex comedy"(as in, implying but not showing) like it was described as, but no, it's ACTUALLY a sex comedy that also happens to be hyper-wacky and exaggeratedly anime most of the time.

Was genuinely surprised to see a high-detail, full-color, two-page spread of Yamada and Kosuda bonin' for the first time after Kosuda sticks it in. Naturally this was the perfect punchline for the page immediately prior to it and was actually really funny in context after all the buildup the series had.

I think the series could have continued(I don't know of any series that continue after they graduate from high school...) but that was a pretty entertaining series. A Komatsu Dump Truck-full of wacky misunderstandings, feeling denials and convenient walk-ins meant that it goes on for maybe twice as long as it might have needed to and I almost just said "gently caress it" and was about to skip 30 chapters at a time because it was dragging so badly, but overall it was pretty enjoyable and the character growth over the course of the entire thing was definitely noticeable! If you can endure the slow parts, it's definitely worth a read I'd say!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Kissmanga is really good for that, it let me just scrollwheel through chapters effortlessly rather than click-page-click-page-click-page. Made for easy skimming.

Also, I asked this in the Recommendation Thread but I'll ask here too: how did it get in Shounen Jump with how uncensored it is about pretty much everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Why does it start at volume 5, chapter 34? What about the other 33 chapters?

Looking around, it seems like the first four volumes are a different story, I take it?

edit: ah yeah, seems to be about a crossdressing boy based on the first chapter.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 22, 2013