Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That train ain't ever stopping. 11 chapters away from it being a clean 25 years in serialization. Though, it's possible Fujishima is gearing up for a endgame given the last few chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They kissed well before that! But, that's about it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kids be growing up so fast these days.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
New Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Last couple of chapters have been pretty adorable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Namazu posted:

I still can't believe the author actually progressed the relationship in a relatively normal way. Like, in a good way.
Bonnouji is a manga about making funny faces and mature relationships. It's nice.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hourou Musuko! Yeah!

Can someone refresh my memory on where this father character originally entered the story? It feels like it just happened suddenly a handful of chapters ago and I can't recall what "reason" was. Simply a new character suddenly thrown into the mix without an intro?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hourou Musuko 115

I like this couple, I really do. Stay strong, young'uns. Chiba brings up what a lot of us have been speculating regarding Yoshino, but we'll just have to see I guess. She at least seems to enjoy modeling. And something big could be coming up for Makoto too, depending on how this heart-to-heart goes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 35

Some pretty funny details in the background of some of the panels.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

toanoradian posted:

Seconding this. Also you should continue to read the ending in the manga.
Not sure why I ignored this series before, it's pretty good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Goodness, this was an adorable chapter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had already read the new Hourou Musuko a while back, but for some reason forgot to post it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also it is being discussed plenty in the seinen thread.

Anyway here's a new chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've been reading something called Sing "Yesterday" For Me, a pretty laid back romance/drama that feels more like seinen than josei. It's a pretty straightforward sort of story with plenty of love triangles, but it's all so chill and melancholic that I find it oddly refreshing. And as a nice bonus, most of the characters are adults.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's also listed in the genre, which I neglected to see for whatever reason. Still, having just caught up I think it's quite solid. And crazily out of place if it's being printed alongside those other ones.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 37

Hahaha, Takaya was hilarious in this chapter.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Time is a cruel mistress in Hourou Musuko 117.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke 67

A little strange having a New Years story around the kinda sorta time of Valentine's Day but OH WELL.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Hourou Musuko 118

How old are these characters supposed to be now? Still their first year of high school?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Guess I'll shill for one of my old favorites, Hana Yori Dango. It's sooooo by the numbers 90's flowery sparkley shoujo, complete with an abusive bad boy love interest that the main character has keep under control and enough rich kid bullying stereotypes to make your head spin. Characterization was pretty good and given that it got some 36 volumes there were plenty of arcs and twists. I think it'd be worth a look if you want a quintessentially old (but not too old) shoujo story.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The last few Kimi ni Todoke chapters have been pretty great. I guess they're trying to imply that Sawako will in fact go to a university to become a teacher? And that's why at the she's thinking they will have to separate? Because otherwise if she gets a job locally, I don't see what the problem would be.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only good parts of true tears are the eufonius OP and the animation.

Does anyone remember when Bandai Visual was going to sell it and I think Shigofumi state-side? They were literally planning on doing the Japanese 2-episode-per-disc, $40+ approach. Funniest god drat thing. I can't remember if they actually followed through before BV folded though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 40

I remember this series was wrapping up, but I guess we're actually a few chapters behind because that was the end of volume 10? Meaning the serialized chapters are well ahead, if not finished.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Couple of new chapters:

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 41

Kimi ni Todoke 79

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I somehow missed a whole bunch of new Aoi Hana chapters. I've forgotten most of these characters besides Akira and Fumi :( Maybe I should re-read it once it's finished.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Like Aoi Hana it has felt like it's been wrapping up for a while now. I think it's done so a little more smoothly than AH, at least. (Wandering Son)Shuu will probably stay in school and graduate, work at that place, and write his book. Seems like she'll stay with Anna for the foreseeable future as well. All in all, his arc's been mostly wrapped up (and honestly has been for a while). The "big" development to close it out I guess is actually Takatsuki, though again you would have had to be blind to not see that coming many chapters ago.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And another chapter of Kimi ni Todoke.

Part of me would kind of like to see the series continue with Sawako's adult life as a teacher, but we probably will just get a time skip epilogue at best.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Definitely ended more smoothly than Aoi Hana at least. Well technically we haven't seen the end of AH yet but the last few chapters for it have been kind of schizophrenic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I forget where I left off in Oresama Teacher myself. I thought it was good but I just kind of lost interest after a while. Also said teacher was kind of a dick in an unamusing way.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another eventful chapter of Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

For some reason whenever I see this updated, I find I had also missed the previous chapter as well. Anyway, just one more volume correct?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kimi ni Todoke 83

Oh my god, that was adorable :3:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Bonnouji 33

The world is in danger! Save us, Robonnouji!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I had read the first couple of chapters of Taiyou no Ie a long while back, and had kind of written off the series for whatever reason. I was sort of getting Oresama Teacher vibes (a series I was thoroughly disappointed with); I don't know, some kind of vague romantic tension between a tsundere girl and a "bad boy" male lead? I just skimmed it, really.

Of course that's probably the laziest and most superficial (if not outright wrong) take on it, and now having completed chapter 15 I'm completely hooked. It's just a really, really great drama. Though there is decidedly a romance subplot, the larger themes about family, loneliness, and finding a place to belong are far more important and stronger. Good stuff.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Speak of the devil, the first chapter of the final Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun volume is out. Only three left after this one it seems.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm up to chapter 27 of Taiyou no Ie. "Trade Secret :smug:" Just lovely. All kinds of warm fuzzies.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Aaaaaaand caught up in Taiyou no Ie.

It's a great story, but I think I liked it a little bit more when it was about the family drama (though obviously that is still in there) rather than Unrequited Love: The Manga.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

...but it's definitely not unrequited now, though? I mean, everyone was getting frustrated by the density of the main characters, but it seems something is actually happening now.
That's not the case for Daiki, Chihiro, Oda, or Sugimoto though. Could even add the cousin into the picture as well. I think I would've preferred Hiro remaining more of Mao's guardian than an actual love interest.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Christmas came early!

Taiyou no Ie 34

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun 46

Ah! My Goddess 300. That's right, 25 years worth of AMG. I had originally thought it was wrapping up, but based on Fujishima's comments on that first page I'm not so sure anymore! Here's to another 25 years.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
They used to post the speed scans, but they were both really lovely and overly confusing because they'd follow them up with the better ones later on as well. I'm fine with just waiting for the better ones.

I actually think it's been pretty good lately! This chapter in particular was fun!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Taiyou no Ie 35

Might have to eat some of my earlier words, we have another couple together. :toot: Daiki is still screwed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything about this page is magical.