Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.
Regarding Bunny Drop/Usagi Drop:

I had previously read about half of the manga before the English translations stopped for a few years. Now, since the manga thread is dead, I have some Volume 5 spoilers that I need to get off my chest: Initially, the entire volume was never translated but I read it going just by the pictures. I misinterpreted many scenes. Like, when Daikichi hugs Kouki's mom and gets rejected, I was totally devastated. The way she pushed him away made it seem that she wanted nothing to do with him - when it was only because she feared for Rin's safety because of Kouki's wild behavior.

Edit: More super spoilers from manga Ch43-44:
Oh god I can't believe the author just went there! (Rin X Daikichi) I had assumed that Rin was uncomfortable with the possibility of Daikichi finding a wife because she would be 'put aside'. A misplaced fear in her case - she's always be Daikichi's little girl.

Instead, we have Rin discussing with Reina how post-pubescent girls find their male family members 'smelly' in a bad way, a Japanese anti-incest theory. And Rin doesn't find Daikichi 'smelly'....uh oh. Then Rin starts thinking that they're blood related, BUT there's 3 degrees of seperation between them, so maybe it's not so bad. And now for the last two chapters she's been giving Daikichi blushing glances...in a very undaughterlike manner.

Hopefully, she just has some daddy-electra complex or something with Daikichi. AT THE VERY LEAST, I hope Daikichi firmly rebuffs any advances from Rin. It would be firmly out of character for Daikichi to even entertain the possibility of having Rin as a daughter-wife-abomination.

BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF BARF it's going there WHY JAPAN WHY!!

Ch47-48 Spoilers:
Thankfully, it seems to have eased off a little. I'm still deeply concerned with this incest plot though, it's like a Chekov's gun waiting to be unleashed at any moment.

Ch49 Spoilers:
So Rin's sordid secret was discovered by Kouki. This could be a good thing. Maybe it's just a girlish crush that Rin has, you know, the thing that passes. Reina might be right in that Rin is just looking for a boyfriend but doesn't know it herself yet.

Ch53 Spoilers:
Oh..my heart..this is so cruel. What have the readers done to deserve this tragedy? This can only end in tears. Props to Daikichi though, a true father.

Oh I'm loving crying now this is so sad. Sad. Like what the gently caress? I'm having trouble turning pages. Cruelest thing indeed.

Ch54 Spoilers:
I can't believe it got worse. Daikichi isn't even related to Rin. Which means that Rin will only be more encouraged to love Daikichi. Which doesn't matter to Daikichi, of course - blood or no blood she is his daughter.

Ch55 Spoilers:
Fail, Daikichi, Fail. I'm extremely bitter - Daikichi caved in to Rin's demands. I'm not even sure he likes her that way, but he seems to be doing it for her peace of mind. What a stronger father would have done is to send her away to relatives and never speak to her again. This is like a modern, hosed up Tale of Genji.

Closing Thoughts:
Unita Yumi, gently caress you. You couldn't write a scenario where Daikichi got with Kouki's hot mom, could you? Nah, you just dangled that poo poo in your readers faces like a huge red herring. And Rin couldn't have just fallen for Kouki? 'Nah that's just too vanilla nothing spices up a story like some good ol' father-daughter incest.'

Someone in the anime adaption thread said watching the series lowered his blood pressure by 10 points. After reading the manga completely mine must have gone up 20 points. I'm loving mad, bitter, and distraught.

To be honest, I would have preferred a tragic ending where Rin's love was forever unreciprocated.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

Now you see why so many of us have so much trouble watching the anime, no matter how good it is now with the pre-Volume 5 material. It's a giant, dark cloud that will forever loom over the story in all of its adaptations.

musouka posted:

Not only that, but the ending deliberately ties Rin's behavior in the early chapters to her romantic feelings. So, for me personally, it even taints the early chapters.

Dark cloud, poisonous taint, unholy abomination. I honestly 100% believe that I would be happier right now if I never had read past volume 4. Maybe include volume 5 then full stop, even with the Kouki's mom cliffhanger.

I kept thinking to myself during the last volume, "Where did this all go wrong?" What happened to the sweet Rin and hapless Daikichi I had come to know and adore? The first four volumes was pure bliss, a uplifting story about a young man who spontaneously decides to become a father. The fifth volume was a story of Rin growing into her womanhood - I liked it. Yet somehow by the last volume, this manga turned into the worst trainwreck ending I've ever seen.

I haven't watched the anime yet, but I was going to until now. If there's a second season (for the timeskip) I hope they rewrite the plot from the ground up. Anything to get the image out of my mind of Rin making babies with Daikichi :barf:.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 10, 2011

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

a kitten posted:

Hey, yeah that's almost my exact reaction to the whole thing. I did decide to watch the animated version and it's just as great as the first half of the story is. My enjoyment is definitely tempered by my knowledge of the bullshit at the end though, that's for drat sure.

I had a physical sick feeling in my stomach reading the end. I was pretty angry I had to take a nap and chill out.

The unique thing about this 'experience' is that I don't think I've ever dreaded turning the page in a book or manga in quite that way. I've read some fairly scary/gruesome horror manga, but the feeling is completely different. In Usagi Drop, I wanted to resist knowing the terrible ending yet I was oddly compelled to read anyway because of my previous attachment to the characters.

Zorak posted:

I think it's her fetish, basically.

Also, for those of you who feel really let down about it, there's always http://www.mangareader.net/887/my-girl-sahara-mizu.html which is pretty much the same thing, just vastly less creepy and more focused on how people think in relationships and such. It's interesting!

Will look into. Anything to wash my mind of what I've just experienced.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

Zorak posted:

Well that's pretty creepy.

Hey Twilight is like that too, Renesmee x Jacob! And that's way more mainstream than Honey and Clover.

Seriously, I assume people like this poo poo because well you've got to satisfy ALL of the fanbase somehow. If the guy can't get with the girl he might as well creeper up on her daughter, the next best thing!

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
I've had a revelation about Usagi Drop's ending. I'm just going to make up in my head what I wanted to happen. gently caress the last volume, I'm sticking my fingers in my ears and going LA LA LA to ignore that stinking turd. Behold, Usagi Drop true ending, which somehow got canned by budgetary issues:

Daikichi:
You know that time when he injured his back? Kouki's mom actually came over and helped him out. They had a moment then. When Kouki's mom got remarried, he was a bit mopey for a while. But she had some marital problems unexpectedly and they had a one night stand in a heated moment. That caused some tension and they guilt-tripped over it for a while. But in the end, Kouki's mom got divorced for a second time and remarried Daikichi. They lived happily ever after into their golden years, after Rin and Kouki moved out of the house.

Rin:
Rin gets with some other guy temporarily, whether it be some classmate, teacher, or work colleague. This causes tensions with Kouki, who ends up dating his ex-girlfriend again. There's a lot of angst, but it's pretty much vanilla Shoujo plotline, or maybe something different more Josei like the series NANA. In the end though, Rin and Kouki reconcile and become a couple. The the final timeskip #2 years, we see Rin working in a typical office, with her second baby on the way. Kouki is henpecked by Rin as usual, and is taking care of the kids at home while Rin brings in the bacon.

THE END