Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Baron Snow posted:

What?

Besides the fact that I haven't updated the OP in forever...

Probably this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Dame Koi is technically? over at 10 volumes. Although now there's some kind of sequel called Dame Koi R(eturns).

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://youtu.be/INKCPOQL98c

For the record: That is a Norwegian crossdresser turned Jpop star named Yohio.

To set the record straight: he's Swedish.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Whatever happened to Don't Become An Otaku, Shinozaki? Did it just go on indefinite hiatus? It's listed on baka-updates as only having 5 volumes, which, for a series starting in 2012, is a bit low.

If it's this thing it still seems to be running, with vol 9 scheduled for release next month. So maybe just poorly updated info on baka-updates' side.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Or, heck, just people randomly losing interest in one another (which is obviously extremely common with teenagers).

Strobo Edge had something along those lines, IIRC.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

I had a post about this but lost it when my computer decided to be dumb so here's a twitter instead

https://twitter.com/sylph_amw/status/850305680573583360
"[Her] body is a man's. But, [she] wants to love as a woman--". From KOKO Suwaru and MORIHASHI Bingo, a transgender tale of anguish and love, "This Love Has No Future."

http://www.mangago.me/read-manga/kono_koi_ni_mirai_wa_nai/

I'm actually reading the author's previous (?) light novel series, Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai, about, er, a high school guy who ends up in a dorm room with a female-to-male transgender and falls in love. About halfway through the 6th and final volume. Wonder if that manga is a sequel.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

No clue, tbh I just started reading it thinking it was the usual BL and found that in the comments. I know it's come up a few times before, folks looking for manga with trans characters so I thought there might be some interest. It seems decent so far and if the author already has some experience in that area hopefully it'll be a good story.

The author has a bit of an odd history with this. He's been writing light novels for a decade or so, but never a series longer than 3 books, so he set his aims real high this time, with ... 6. Then on the day the 5th volume came out, he started tweeting about how the publisher informed him that due to poor sales, the series was cancelled, meaning the final volume would not be coming out, and that the author was quitting the light novel business altogether. Somehow this caught the attention of Japanese blogs, and with the newly sparked interest, the publisher apparently changed their minds, letting him write the finale after all.

Another tidbit is that the author's afterwords in the 4th volume mention him talking to a bartender about how he writes light novels, describing the plot of his latest title (troubled love with a transgender man), which then got the response "But that ain't light!" and the author protested saying "Of course it is! I don't write any sex scenes!" However, in the 5th volume there nevertheless is a sex scene, so god knows where that conviction went.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

I finished the entire Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai LN series, so I could peek at the summary for Kono Koi ni Mirai wa Nai. The author briefly mentions in the afterword that the two titles form a set, but nothing about the story. Looking at the introduction for the manga, however, it looks like a few of the character names cross over. "Manase" was the surname of a 45-yo school doctor lady in KKtSM, while "Masaki Matsunaga" is the name of the protagonist's screenwriting father. But the manga seems to take place in 1980 -- 20 years before the MCs of KKtSM are even born -- so if anything it's a prequel, rather than a sequel. In any case, the light novel series was pretty enjoyable, even if it'd take a Möbius strip to draw up the relationship chart.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

jellycat posted:

How does that series end? I saw people talking about it while it was running and I was interested enough to try and follow what was going on but not interested enough to try and read it lol. I couldn't find anyone talking about who the MC ends up with/what happens to the trans guy and it was driving me nuts for a while back when it ended.

Anyway, I ordered Kono Koi ni Mirai wa Nai because I'm very curious and knowing it's the same author as Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai is a little reassuring. It should be getting here today so hopefully I can read it when I get back home.

Er, so this is a "brief summary of the story so far" that I wrote somewhere after finishing Kono Koi to, Sono Mirai vol 4:
It's about a high schooler who goes to a boarding school in Hiroshima, where the principal asks him to share rooms with a female-to-male transgender, whom he promptly falls in love with, but then a cute classmate still asks him to date her, so he goes along with it in order to forget the transman, and then when transman's girlfriend dumps him because he/she finally reveals he/she is a man in a woman's body, the protagonist goes to yell at her for being insensitive, which is seen by a kouhai who has the hots for the protagonist, which gets back to his girlfriend, who then gives up on their relationship, and when he's zoning out at his part-time job, his 28-yo boss gets him drunk and they end up in bed half-naked and kissing, upon which she reveals she used to be his dad's mistress a decade back.

Then in vol 5: After irrelevant hijinks, Mirai (the trans man "heroine") never returns to Hiroshima after a Christmas break spent back home in Tokyo, leaving the protagonist (Shirou) a note saying he/she (I don't know the terminology) has quit school and that they won't meet for up to a decade (partly as a result of an awkward scene in vol 4 where Mirai discovers the protagonist is in love with Mirai, leading to throwing off clothes and pushing into beds and going "Why don't you just try to gently caress me straight?!" (paraphrasing)). Simultaneously, Shirou ends up getting punched out by a customer at the part-time job, and things happen, and he finally has sex with his ten years older boss (Hiromi).

And finally vol 6: Shirou (protagonist) is getting jealous because a new handsome customer is too familiar with his now-girlfriend Hiromi (28yo boss), but eventually finds out the customer's only there because Mirai's old girlfriend (Kaname) recommended the place, and that she's dating the guy (who is again 10 years older than her). After graduation, Shirou is taken to a fancy restaurant by his dad (Masaki Matsunaga) who casually asks him how Hiromi (his former mistress) is doing. After the meal, Mirai comes out, introduced as the chef (in training). Once Shirou calms down, they visit Mirai's apartment, where it turns out he/she's now living (in a relationship) with Shirou's older sister Niko. The two are considering moving to France to further their culinary crafts, and Mirai mentions that same sex marriage is legal there, and that after meeting Niko, the thought of not going through with hormone therapy doesn't seem so bad, because she accepts Mirai as is, and the treatment isn't exactly free of risk. In the end, the two part ways as friends again, and Shirou goes back to live in Hiroshima, dreaming of possible marriage with Hiromi.

Not sure the author utilized the transgender setting fully, but it was pretty enjoyable to read either way.

Edit: I should probably note that I'm hopelessly ignorant of transgender issues, and that I'm not a native English speaker, so the terminology doesn't really seep into daily life.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Ah, in my language, it's sinful to separate words if it can be avoided (see this), plus the whole bit about an English man being an Englishman, etc.

You may want to edit the wikipedia entry if it's important, plus there's a reference at the bottom without the space.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

In this particular case, I wasn't entirely sure if the author intended to say that Mirai chose to be a lesbian woman instead, rather than go all out and become a post-treatment trans man, plus I don't know how or if the terminology alters after physical changes.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Gnossiennes posted:

Part of why I'm not gonna read this is that deciding to transition or not has nothing to do with your partner "accepting you as is." Deciding to go through the medical process has to do with my own comfort w/r/t gender and what I need, and nothing about my partner's ability to "accept me as is", and tbqh it's a little off-putting to me that that's the reason the trans guy doesn't medically transition.

Eh, take it easy now. First of all, I've only given you a very brief account of story beat results, not elaborating on process much. Second, Japanese is my, uh, fifth language technically, so my comprehension is not to be taken as fact.

In the case of Mirai's choice not to go through with hormone treatment, the reasoning was primarily said to be that Niko often worried that Mirai would end up dead if it went wrong, supposedly because we're not at 100% safety levels at this point in medical history. There's also stuff about how Mirai grew up with very conservative parents (finally breaking contact entirely), and went to an all-girls school before high school, at which point there was a lot "I hate my body" emotions raging and rebelling in general. Then there's the cost, and added complications of switching countries in the middle, etc, etc.

Edit: Also, I'm afraid I wasn't reading my stories with the expectation of getting tested on it later, so details kind of fade.

darkgray fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 7, 2017

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Oh god, I really didn't intend to jump into an argument on the health hazards of something I have literally no knowledge of.

Again, going into specifics of the dialogue (you see here how my reluctance to give you this as "facts" is hampering discussion on the whole): In the first volume, which I read nearly 3 years ago, I believe Mirai talks about planning to get hormone treatments as soon as he turns 18 (they're 15 at this point). By the end of vol 6, they're finally 18, and Mirai is explaining why he isn't taking hormones yet. So that's one part of it. The second part is that, in Mirai's words, "in order to be considered male by legal standards in Japan, you must remove ovaries and uterus." Only at this point can you legally get married as (trans) man and woman in Japan, I guess. This surgery is probably what caused the death fears in Niko. So now, by the end of the story, Mirai is reconsidering treatment. Whether this is temporary or permanent, I can't say, as a (foreign) reader.

I'm trying to say, don't judge the author based on a brief summary posted by some random weeb on the internets. I don't want that responsibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Not entirely sure which thread this belong in, but the Asahinagu adaptation is coming out soon yay (?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjW_Uqmu81I

Supremely great manga, so hopefully this gets it some attention.