Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

AA: i am very much alive
AA: and i intend to stay that way :)

Serious Frolicking posted:

I hate Fushigi Yuugi. The entire thing just infuriates me for some reason.

I have a pretty major love/hate relationship with Fushigi Yuugi. I got into it in middle school and thought it was the poo poo; it was one of the first anime series I ever watched, and I think the first shoujo. Loved the melodrama, loved the characters, loved the comic relief. To 13-year-old me, it was perfection.

Then I rewatched it 10 years later, and I realized it had a lot of elements from female-oriented media that I really hate, especially the rape-happiness and the falling instantly and eternally in love at the ripe old age of 15, and preferring death over life apart. But it still had enough redeeming features that the nostalgia wasn't totally destroyed and I still enjoyed it.

If I watched FY for the first time today, I'd probably hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

Nate RFB posted:

This is me in a nutshell too. I ate up everything FY related, even that awful Eikoden OVA. I'm not sure I can even say I've gotten over it so many years later, because I'm buying the Genbu Kaiden volumes as they come out. I mean, poo poo, it's new FY! I can't not at least read it!

I watched Eikoden recently and good god, Mayo is the most obnoxious character in the whole series. The OVAs in general are just a giant mess of deus ex machina and nonsense.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

a kitten posted:

Now for a straight romance question: how is the Skip Beat anime?

Really good, but has a frustrating nonending for those of us who haven't read the manga.

LadySage
Dec 26, 2005

I just finished Please Save My Earth. While it was, for the most part, a truly amazing series, the ending was really awkward and uncomfortable for me.

A 21-year-old engaged to and kissing a 12-year-old is really terrible, no matter how "mature" or tall for his age he is. Auuuuuuuugh.