Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
What's the consensus for the best "traditional" jRPG for the PSP? I've been getting that jRPG itch lately and must scratch. I'm not really interested in strategy titles either. I was looking at P3P and either of the Star Ocean titles but I know nothing about either franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methodis
Mar 22, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Final Fantasy 1 and 2 are available if you want something like that. Otherwise i'd say the port of Persona 3 is pretty drat good.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Jjaarreett posted:

What's the consensus for the best "traditional" jRPG for the PSP? I've been getting that jRPG itch lately and must scratch. I'm not really interested in strategy titles either. I was looking at P3P and either of the Star Ocean titles but I know nothing about either franchise.

persona 3 is pretty good (say, 85% for me) but it's not the best game in the world. It has a long playtime which is good. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is really good (it's tactics and not tactics at the same time, get a demo). There are a lot of the PSX FF games available on the online store.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
As long as they haven't messed with it, Star Ocean 2 was probably the best RPG I played on the PS1 ever. Pretty sure the PSP version is just a port.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

sentrygun posted:

As long as they haven't messed with it, Star Ocean 2 was probably the best RPG I played on the PS1 ever. Pretty sure the PSP version is just a port.

They added really bad voice acting and a terrible character from SO3.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

dis astranagant posted:

They added really bad voice acting

Sounds about right for a direct port. :colbert:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

dis astranagant posted:

They added really bad voice acting and a terrible character from SO3.

Then play it with all the voices turned off I guess, if that's an options slider. The gameplay is good enough that, so long as they didn't mess with it, it's worth playing just for the battles. I'm almost tempted to pick it up so I can play through it without having to be stuck pulling out my old PS2.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've really enjoyed the PSX version of Suikoden and FF IX, though IX really took a while for me to get into. A tail? Really?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

teethgrinder posted:

I've really enjoyed the PSX version of Suikoden and FF IX, though IX really took a while for me to get into. A tail? Really?
There's a reason for it, he's actually from an ancient race of...oh hell I don't know, some normal FF shlock.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

teethgrinder posted:

He and the rest of the cast are from a race of ancient people called "The WORST Design Decisions in History."

So, someone want to tell about Persona 2: Innocent Sin and how it's better/worse than Persona 3?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do I actually turn this thing off? I press up on the power button and the display shuts off along with everything else, but when I turn it back on it still had my game on. I've held it up for two seconds until the power light blinked but had no clue what it meant.

Im a bit confused, I should know this.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Avocadoes posted:

How do I actually turn this thing off? I press up on the power button and the display shuts off along with everything else, but when I turn it back on it still had my game on. I've held it up for two seconds until the power light blinked but had no clue what it meant.

Im a bit confused, I should know this.

When you just flick the switch it goes into sleep mode. Power usage is almost nothing, so it'll take ages to die. If you hold it for a while it should eventually turn off.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Contra Calculus posted:

So, someone want to tell about Persona 2: Innocent Sin and how it's better/worse than Persona 3?

Innocent Sin has:
-No dating sim elements, the structure is a lot more like a traditional JRPG.
-All characters can use multiple Personas. Different characters have different compatibilities with the various arcana.
-Personas are created by earning tarot cards by negotiating with demons rather than through fusion.

I personally think that the story in Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment is the best in the Persona series, but the battle system is a bit clunky and kind of grindy. Hopefully that will be addressed in the upcoming IS remake but that still hasn't been confirmed for a western release yet.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle
I'm about 14 hours into Riviera: The Promised Land and I'm stuck on one of those quicktime button press events. I have to mash the circle button 23 times in like 5 seconds to get through this bullshit. I mean sure the quicktime event is completely 100% optional but I refuse to make progress in this game until I unlock my second anime babe bathing art scene. :mad:

Also the English translation and voice overs in this game are surprisingly good, it's like watching a Saturday morning cartoon except I have to put up with the shittiest combat system ever conceived to get through the story.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

Sounds about right for a direct port. :colbert:

I'm not talking about the battle voices. The new dialog voices are even worse and can't be turned off as far as I can tell. Oh, and they obsoleted a LOT of special attacks by giving everyone a 3 hit combo for on their normal attack. There's some other random mechanical and item changes (no more spell fusion, star guard is now an accessory), but the biggest issue is having to deal with grating voices deliver derp dialog.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 6, 2011

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
And they're in every freaking scene possible too. You could just turn down the volume completely, but the dialouge itself is still padded out to hell even if it's coherent now, which makes the entire game a drag to play.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Captain Novolin posted:

When you just flick the switch it goes into sleep mode. Power usage is almost nothing, so it'll take ages to die. If you hold it for a while it should eventually turn off.
The PSPgo will last for at least a month in sleep mode. My PSP-1000 could barely last a week. I assume the other models are somewhere in between those.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

teethgrinder posted:

The PSPgo will last for at least a month in sleep mode. My PSP-1000 could barely last a week. I assume the other models are somewhere in between those.

My 1000 went over a month in sleep mode, in game, and still had three bars of battery.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
If you plug the Go in to a mac or pc via usb can you access the whole hard disk as a drive or only the memory card slot?

Also is there any way to convert a UMD game to a PSN network game via sending it to Sony or anything or do you just have to rebuy it?

Thanks.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

EvilRic posted:

If you plug the Go in to a mac or pc via usb can you access the whole hard disk as a drive or only the memory card slot?

Also is there any way to convert a UMD game to a PSN network game via sending it to Sony or anything or do you just have to rebuy it?

Thanks.

There isn't really a hard drive, the only memory you can access is the memory card you have in. (EDIT: Yeah I'm dumb and teeth is right) That'll pull up as a folder just like any USB drive.

UMD-wise, no go, you're pretty much stuck rebuying it. Not all games are available either (mostly older games like Lumines or AC!D).

sentrygun fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 6, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You can access the whole internal storage. It, and the memorystick, show up as separate drives in Explorer.

No, you cannot transfer UMDs to PSN, though at least the UK had a promotion where a few games could be redownloaded. I don't know the details nor if it's still running.

bbcisdabomb posted:

My 1000 went over a month in sleep mode, in game, and still had three bars of battery.
Weird. Maybe mine was defective, though the original battery seemed to last longer than the Go.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

So I got a PSPgo a few months ago, registered it like the sheet says to get my free games, and I haven't got any email about the codes I was promised :(
Any suggestions?

TheOriginalEd
Oct 29, 2007

Caffeine Transcendent

Avocadoes posted:

How do I actually turn this thing off?

Far as Im concerned not having to ever actually turn the game Im playing off is the best feature the PSP has as a portable.

Playing on the bus and get to your stop? sleep it and pick it up right where you left off later.

Wife running her mouth over a cutscene youre trying to watch? sleep it and finish the cutscene when youre done not listening to her.

Kid's eating something they shouldnt in the middle of a boss battle? sleep it and come back when the kids done choking.

As far as Im concerned the sleep feature is what makes Disgaea 1 and 2 and really the entire SRPG format ejoyable on the PSP(are those in the recommended games in the OP they should be) On a console you have to either leave the console on or prepare to spend an entire day in front of the TV if youre in the middle of a long fight or a 100 floor dungeon. With the psp you can just sleep the fucker and play it later. (this doesnt work for all games of course)

Edit: I looked and no Disgaea 1 and 2 arent in the op. Great games (If you like that sort of thing which Im assuming people do since ZHP is on there) going to suggest FF: Crisis core too. If you can get over the weirdness of the story, the battle system is pretty cool and Zack is probably the most likable character to come out of the FF7 universe.

TheOriginalEd fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 6, 2011

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

TheOriginalEd posted:

Far as Im concerned not having to ever actually turn the game Im playing off is the best feature the PSP has as a portable.

Playing on the bus and get to your stop? sleep it and pick it up right where you left off later.

Wife running her mouth over a cutscene youre trying to watch? sleep it and finish the cutscene when youre done not listening to her.

Kid's eating something they shouldnt in the middle of a boss battle? sleep it and come back when the kids done choking.

As far as Im concerned the sleep feature is what makes Disgaea 1 and 2 and really the entire SRPG format ejoyable on the PSP(are those in the recommended games in the OP they should be) On a console you have to either leave the console on or prepare to spend an entire day in front of the TV if youre in the middle of a long fight or a 100 floor dungeon. With the psp you can just sleep the fucker and play it later. (this doesnt work for all games of course)

I am a husband and father too, and I fully endorse this post.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

WrightOfWay posted:

I personally think that the story in Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment is the best in the Persona series, but the battle system is a bit clunky and kind of grindy. Hopefully that will be addressed in the upcoming IS remake but that still hasn't been confirmed for a western release yet.

On that subject is the psp persona remake worth getting? I played a bit of the original and remember liking it a lot more then the combat of persona 3 and 4 but it was a bit slow at times.

Rothgil
May 12, 2008

Clever Spambot posted:

On that subject is the psp persona remake worth getting? I played a bit of the original and remember liking it a lot more then the combat of persona 3 and 4 but it was a bit slow at times.

Combat is pretty drat slow but I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
The PSP's sleep feature is my only saving grace with NIS games, considering they just cannot wrap their heads around Suspend saving. I don't think I could do ridiculous legendary item worlding on one of the console Disgaeas.

frogg
May 20, 2006

walrus bottle

Kaboobi posted:

So I got a PSPgo a few months ago, registered it like the sheet says to get my free games, and I haven't got any email about the codes I was promised :(
Any suggestions?

Call the number on the box or just Google a Sony/PSP related support number. I ended up calling them since my code hadn't arrived after two weeks and after a few questions/steps up the support ladder they just ended up giving me a code over the phone to get me to hang up.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

Any suggestions?

Did you log in to PSN through your PSP Go? The packaging for the 3 free games promo around the box tells you to do that. After you do that you'll get your voucher in your email after a few days.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Reading the Wikipedia page about the Go, they announced a price drop last year, but what ever happened to it? Bestbuy.com still reports it at $200...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It fights a fierce tooth-and-nail battle over sales with... the PS2.

riding gravity
May 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Reading the Wikipedia page about the Go, they announced a price drop last year, but what ever happened to it? Bestbuy.com still reports it at $200...

It used to be $250.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

riding gravity posted:

It used to be $250.
Whaaaaaaaaat?

No no I mean, I REALLY don't understand why a smaller, less capable PSP with a smaller screen would cost more than a PSP 3000.

edit: they're both 16,800 yen in Japan.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 6, 2011

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

Samurai Sanders posted:

Whaaaaaaaaat?

No no I mean, I REALLY don't understand why a smaller, less capable PSP with a smaller screen would cost more than a PSP 3000.

edit: they're both 16,800 yen in Japan.

I believe Sony's official response was more or less "Early adopter tax"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SwiftStrikerInc posted:

I believe Sony's official response was more or less "Early adopter tax"
But the Go has been around for years...

Anyway I am really only interested in a PSP for importing a few key Japanese games, and then just playing it through my TV. Would a Go or 3000 suit me better?

Sentient Toaster
May 7, 2007
Not the fork, Master!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Anyway I am really only interested in a PSP for importing a few key Japanese games, and then just playing it through my TV. Would a Go or 3000 suit me better?
I imagine you'll want a 3000 as long as you plan to import UMDs, but both can be associated with a Japanese PSN account to enjoy the better selection of downloadable stuff too.

My 3000 has no problems playing games on a TV. I imagine the Go is no different, plus there's something about using a PS3 controller with it. You can probably still pick up some video cables for around $8 shipped on Amazon.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

Samurai Sanders posted:

I was referring to the initial $250 price tag. As far as the difference between the 3000 and the Go now, they would probably chalk it up to the fact that the Go comes with 16GB of internal memory where the 3000 *might* come with 1GB stick. Also, the Go is only just over 1 year old.

As for what you're looking for, if the imports are on the Japanese PSN and you can buy them there and there is nothing you might want the UMD for, I would say probably go with the Go. I like the flash media aspect of it, even if sony can't figure how to do it very well. Also, this would give you the capability to plug it into the TV and sync a DS3 controller to the Go to play on the couch. If the games you want to play are only accessible on UMDs you don't have any choice but the 3000 (or an earlier iteration).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Keep in mind that Sony's pretty bad at digital distribution and is now finally getting into things, I guess if you like Kingdom Hearts or something you're kinda screwed with the Go.

I like it, but then again I only actually paid $130 or so on it because of gift cards so I can't really complain as much as someone who dropped $250 when the only loving pack-in was that lovely Rock Band Unplugged demo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is a long shot, but do Japanese PSP games ever have both language versions on the US copy, like PS3 games often do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

riding gravity posted:

Did you log in to PSN through your PSP Go? The packaging for the 3 free games promo around the box tells you to do that. After you do that you'll get your voucher in your email after a few days.

Yeah :(

I'll give them a call tonight I guess.

• Locked thread