Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

BadAstronaut posted:

2. I've played 10 minutes of Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 back in 2000. Is there a MGS game on the PSP that I can use as an entry point into the series?

Yeah, Metal Gear Solid. PS1 games run flawlessly on the PSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So despite being very old and the first game in the series it's still the one to pick up? Is or because it's a classic and being number one the obvious place to start, or does it still hold up as a great game today?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BadAstronaut posted:

So despite being very old and the first game in the series it's still the one to pick up? Is or because it's a classic and being number one the obvious place to start, or does it still hold up as a great game today?

Both. It's aged a bit, but is certainly playable and worth it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It's kind of challenging, but the series goes in such a batshit insane direction that you really need to start there for a good foundation.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Either MGS1 or MGS3 are really good starting points story-wise. However, Peace Walker has the strongest gameplay focus, by using a lot of ideas from the Monster Hunter genre. It splits the game into small, digestible chunks, moves lengthy codec conversations to a menu where you can listen to them when you want, and adds a fantastic co-op mode for the whole game. Co-op is two players for stealth missions, and four players for boss battles.

I'd recommend playing MGS1 on your PSP, since PSOne games look excellent on the screen compared to being blown up to a full TV. Then, A PS3 would let you play 2, 3, 4, and a greatly enhanced version of Peace Walker. If you don't want a PS3, you could get 2 and 3 on the PS2, but they are far less crisp and perform worse, especially 3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

That loving Sned posted:

Either MGS1 or MGS3 are really good starting points story-wise. However, Peace Walker has the strongest gameplay focus, by using a lot of ideas from the Monster Hunter genre. It splits the game into small, digestible chunks, moves lengthy codec conversations to a menu where you can listen to them when you want, and adds a fantastic co-op mode for the whole game. Co-op is two players for stealth missions, and four players for boss battles.

I'd recommend playing MGS1 on your PSP, since PSOne games look excellent on the screen compared to being blown up to a full TV. Then, A PS3 would let you play 2, 3, 4, and a greatly enhanced version of Peace Walker. If you don't want a PS3, you could get 2 and 3 on the PS2, but they are far less crisp and perform worse, especially 3.

Did Peace Walker HD receive enhancements beyond the graphical upgrade?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Rinkles posted:

Did Peace Walker HD receive enhancements beyond the graphical upgrade?

Online multiplayer is the big, big one. It's worth it for that alone.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Also, the controls are massively improved. The default PSP controls had you aim with the face buttons. The other two made it very difficult to aim while moving, which is essential for most boss fights. It's also easier to do things like switch weapons and items, crouch/lie down, and interact with things, since those have been moved from the d-pad back to the face buttons and shoulder pads. The frame rate has also been tripled, from 20 fps to 60.

Peace Walker is still relatively playable on the Vita, since it can map the aiming to the right analogue stick, but other than that the PS3/360 version is superior in every way.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

BadAstronaut posted:

1. Is there a Star Wars game worth playing on PSP? Anything actually good?
I vaguely recall people being pleased with Battlefront when it was out, but don't know for myself.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I haven't played my PSP in a while since I'm feeling like I want to get a Vita when I have the money, even though from what I can tell there's no rpgs/tactical games out for it that I want.

That being said, is there any decent rpgs or tactical games? Thinking games? Not a huge fan of things like god of war or MGS on this system because the controls are uncomfortable.

I've played Jeanne D'arc, and tried Crisis Core and thought it was loving horrible, and I never finished P3P.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I haven't played my PSP in a while since I'm feeling like I want to get a Vita when I have the money, even though from what I can tell there's no rpgs/tactical games out for it that I want.

That being said, is there any decent rpgs or tactical games? Thinking games? Not a huge fan of things like god of war or MGS on this system because the controls are uncomfortable.

I've played Jeanne D'arc, and tried Crisis Core and thought it was loving horrible, and I never finished P3P.

God of War actually plays fine on the PSP and both games are awesome, and well worth playing even though you can get them on PS3 now.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Fate/Extra isn't mindblowing but it's a pretty decent RPG. Combat is kinda fun but the dungeon crawling leaves a lot to be desired. Although you might not get much out of it if you aren't a fan of the series.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

tried Crisis Core and thought it was loving horrible

You have no idea how alone I've felt on the internet before reading these words. I have no idea why this game has the reputation of "the GOOD FFVII sequel", they're all poo poo.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You have no idea how alone I've felt on the internet before reading these words. I have no idea why this game has the reputation of "the GOOD FFVII sequel", they're all poo poo.

It's probably just because it's related to FF7. Maybe the story is really amazing or something, I skip cutscenes, but the gameplay is just so so.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Fate/Extra isn't mindblowing but it's a pretty decent RPG. Combat is kinda fun but the dungeon crawling leaves a lot to be desired. Although you might not get much out of it if you aren't a fan of the series.

drat, that's a half-hearted endorsement.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wendell posted:

drat, that's a half-hearted endorsement.

Yeah..That came out a bit more negative than I intended it to be. I just think it's a pretty decent game for the price (I think you can get it for like 15 now?) and if you can get past the bland looking dungeons it has an interesting story with a fun cast of characters.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm gonna throw out my standard PSP RPG suggestions of Trails in the Sky and Half-Minute Hero. Both fantastic games for completely different reasons.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 8, 2013

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Handgun Harlot posted:

It's probably just because it's related to FF7. Maybe the story is really amazing or something, I skip cutscenes, but the gameplay is just so so.

I'm like the world's biggest, most unabashed FF VII fanboy, yet CC turned me off with the first mission.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
F/Extra is a good 10 hour game stuck in a 20 hour game. The fact that the combat system will never, ever evolve beyond what you already get in the first dungeon cripples the latter half of enjoyment.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm gonna throw out my standard PSP RPG suggestions of Trails in the Sky and Half-Minute Hero. Both fantastic games for completely different reasons.

I've tried half minute hero on the PC though, and after like 2 missions? I already lost all interest in ever playing more of it.

Daraken
Oct 9, 2007

Maybe tomorrow, I'll find a home.
Metal Gear Acid, the turn based card/tactical game.

No wait, don't leave!

While it sounds ridiculous, the game is primarily a turn based tactical game, set on a grid. You build a deck and then move or attack with Snake by playing cards which have an associated cost. The higher the cost you rack up, the longer it takes for your next turn and draw to appear. As it is a MGS game, there's a focus on stealth, with staples like an alarm system if you're sighted and knocking on walls to attract enemies as well as the usual insane plot.

If you enjoy deck building and tactical combat, its a very solid game, with a sequel as well.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I would perform a blood sacrifice to get the Ac!d games on PSN.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've tried half minute hero on the PC though, and after like 2 missions? I already lost all interest in ever playing more of it.

I'm sorry about the crushing void you have where your soul should be

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

absolutely anything posted:

I'm sorry about the crushing void you have where your soul should be

It's just devoid of any substance.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's just devoid of any substance.

I didn't get the love for Half Minute Hero either.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
Since you've already played Jeanne D'arc, I think the two obvious recommendations for Tactical RPGs on PSP are FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre. They're both pretty excellent. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is also an option. While it's a far cry from the first one on PS3, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Other Tactical RPGs that I know exist, but I've never played any of them - Disgaea 1 & 2, Gungnir, Ragnarok Tactics, etc... Maybe Knights in the Nightmare? (I can't tell what the hell is going on in that game.) You might want to look into those, or ask someone about them.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Krackleburt posted:

Since you've already played Jeanne D'arc, I think the two obvious recommendations for Tactical RPGs on PSP are FF Tactics and Tactics Ogre. They're both pretty excellent. Valkyria Chronicles 2 is also an option. While it's a far cry from the first one on PS3, I still got a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Other Tactical RPGs that I know exist, but I've never played any of them - Disgaea 1 & 2, Gungnir, Ragnarok Tactics, etc... Maybe Knights in the Nightmare? (I can't tell what the hell is going on in that game.) You might want to look into those, or ask someone about them.

Disgaea 1 was pretty good, as an FFT fan. Every now and then I still try to throw people in FFT.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Handgun Harlot posted:

There are several reasons it has a good reputation.

1. Zack is pretty chill as a main character.
2. Everybody just loving loves seeing characters like Cloud and Aerith before FFVII.
3. The battle system isn't the best, but it's still pretty fun and reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts... though the backgrounds really are incredibly repetitive.

That's probably the reason I like the game. The story, particularly everything that has to do with Genesis(?) or whatever his name is, is awful. The game would be entirely good without him in it, but he's the central plot because many Japanese players have a creepy adoration for Gackt.

I really liked building up materia. It was also nice because there was a sort of New Game+ built into the game so all materia carries over to the next playthrough. But yeah, I think I have to hold strong that Zack was my favorite part of the game just because he's pretty much the exact opposite of Cloud, FFVII or Advent Children version. He's upbeat and incredibly slick, which was really refreshing to see in an FF game again.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Tactics Ogre is the best drat srpg, and has a stupendously good translation and story

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Well, after 2 years, my memory stick poo poo itself. Neither my PSP or my PC can even find it. Sony Support's helpful solution is just to buy a new one :(

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I'm sorry for your loss, and appreciate your reminder to back mine up to my PC :(

edit: I used to do it quite regularly back when I used to mess with emulation, but haven't bothered for years.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AlmightyBob posted:

Well, after 2 years, my memory stick poo poo itself. Neither my PSP or my PC can even find it. Sony Support's helpful solution is just to buy a new one :(

I've got an SD card adapter that takes two microSD cards. If you use one of those, with any microSD's you have lying around, then you should be golden. Sorry about your save files, though.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

God I'm just glad this isn't a Vita memory card.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
So I just found out that my mobo on my PSP 2k is a TA-88V3, and I've heard people talking about the newer 2000 models having stupid scanlines. Is this true, or do ALL 2k models have the same screen?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I thought scanlines were just a psp3000 problem.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, a "newer 2000 model with scanline problems" is a 3000. But it's relative. Frankly the scanlines would probably be preferable to the ghosting on my 1000.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY

teethgrinder posted:

Yeah, a "newer 2000 model with scanline problems" is a 3000. But it's relative. Frankly the scanlines would probably be preferable to the ghosting on my 1000.

So that means that my newer 2000 model still has the same screen as all the other 2000 models? My PSP is a 2000v2 apparently.
Also yeah, I notice some degree of ghosting on my PSP at times, but it's not that bad. I'm just a little bit sad that my 2000 model is the ONLY 2000 model that doesn't support CIPL Flashers :smith:.

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 2, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Well, it's not like you really need them. If you ever shut your psp completely off (why?) you run a program off your memory stick and you're back in business. It's even easier than the chickHEN days.

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Well, it's not like you really need them. If you ever shut your psp completely off (why?) you run a program off your memory stick and you're back in business. It's even easier than the chickHEN days.

Yeah, I only use sleep mode most of the time.

Also, about that scanline thing, some people claimed that the PSP 2000 models that were manufactured halfway through the 2000's life have been replaced with scanlined screens. Coincidentally it was also when the new infamous TA-88v3 motherboard was released. Are these people just mistaking the new PSP 3000-like motherboard with the newer 2000s inheriting the 3000 screen as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Honestly the scan line problem is a total non-issue, the screen looks great and there is no ghosting. You would have to be extremely nitpicky to be bothered by it. Plus the 3000 has a setting which displays brighter and more vibrant colors than the previous screens which look duller and washed out by comparison.

• Locked thread