Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I know it's not fully stocked right now, but my PlayStation Import thread deals in PSP now in both UMD and Digital, so there could be some fun stuff in there that people could like. I mean people like robots and anime and Tales games still right? Breath of Fire's hip with the kids yeah?

Also did anyone else play the Lord of Arcana demo? I tried the Japanese one months ago and fuddled around with it but actually playing it in English and knowing what I'm doing has improved the experience so much. It's like they reached this perfect middle of Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Portable with a vaguely Final Fantasy art style that's pretty palpable to me. I'd still prefer an actual Monster Hunter clone in the vein of an FF game with like job classes and such, but this is pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's got the most retarded story in the franchise* and many unlikable characters (including the protagonist!)

* Excluding FM: Evolved because that poo poo is MGS4 level of crazy but its not a real Front Mission

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh, yeah it's fun. It's the most JRPG-y game of the franchise and pretty easy to get into. It's just that a lot of the poo poo around it is retarded, but its still fun to read the game's internet for like 2 hours and accidentally discover a map you can download to your simulator.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Spuzzz posted:

Yes, it is a fun game. I've only beaten one path but there were a good variety of missions and some branches along the way. There's even a hidden wanzer you probably won't find without a FAQ.

That hidden wanzer is the best, it's like a Gundam somehow wanders into Front Mission and realizes its the only machine in the world with a laser gun.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Horseticuffs posted:

I hate to ask dumb questions, but I'm considering grabbing a GO after selling my PSP yeeeears ago and I just want to ask if the downloadable games list on the PSN site is accurate.

It seems pretty skimpy and like there are some GLARING omissions. Like I don't recall off-hand seeing Persona 3 on there and that would be a maor reason for me to grab one.

Yeah uh Persona 3 is definitely on there, Sony's bad at maintaining their websites and stuff and no one seems to update the US side of the wiki page for downloadable PSP games either.

If you have Media Go and a PSN account you could log in through that and see what's there yourself.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It fights a fierce tooth-and-nail battle over sales with... the PS2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Keep in mind that Sony's pretty bad at digital distribution and is now finally getting into things, I guess if you like Kingdom Hearts or something you're kinda screwed with the Go.

I like it, but then again I only actually paid $130 or so on it because of gift cards so I can't really complain as much as someone who dropped $250 when the only loving pack-in was that lovely Rock Band Unplugged demo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

You could always just make foreign PSN accounts, get some PSN cards for those regions, and buy Hatsune Miku or something for your PSP(s). Switching the active account on a PSP doesn't take long and if you have multiples you could even just dedicate a PSP just for a region if luxury abides.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mug posted:

Eh, I've already got all the games I want on UMD. You can't buy any of the DJ Max games on the PSN, and I'm playing The 3rd Birthday at the moment and that will never hit the PSN based on SE's comments.

3rd Birthday's on Japan's PSN right now but I don't think SE's said anything about North America or Europe yet. DJ Max Portable 3 is also a PSN game in the States as well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Huge rumor: Sony of Japan to announce the PSP2 on January 27th at press event. SCEJ's cover is that it is a "business overview and strategy" conference but then again you don't invite Game Informer to talk numbers

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

The PSP2 will probably be like the middle ground between the PS2 and the PS3 for graphics power, and near the end of its life cycle it'll start getting stuff that's close to if not better than the PS3's, just like with the PSP1.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

If PSP2 fully supports my downloaded PSP1 games then I'll have no trouble jumping in.

Know what would be a sweet idea? Allowing the PSP2's supposed second analog stick to have the same functions as the D-Pad, it would make playing a ton of games that used D-Pad camera control a world easier.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I like the Go a lot but it really lives or dies based on your taste in games and the PSN's ability to cater to that taste. A lot of new games get PSN releases but there's a ton of the back catalog that's either not available in North America or on the PSN period.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

What's missing that you'd want besides Lumines and the Kingdom Hearts game?

I'm personally waiting for a price drop on the Wipeouts, but I suspect they're forgotten.

Just looking in my UMD collection: Crisis Core, FFT: War of the Lions, Sid Meier's Pirates! (euro only), Metal Gear AC!D, and about 6/7 Gundam+Macross games. Another Century's Episode Portable didn't get a PSN release in Japan either, and Shadow of Destiny (although its in English) only got a Japanese PSN release.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Z2 is gonna be a very interesting case. Bamco absolutely hates putting their poo poo on digital and if it launches simultaneously that would be a huge move forward.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Welcome to the long, long road until touchdown folks.

One of Japan's major newspapers is confirming that Sony will indeed reveal PSP2 and the PSPhone at Thursday's PlayStation Conference. As the link mentions, previous PlayStation Conferences were used to reveal the PSP and PS3 in the past, so there is a precedent for major announcements at these conferences.

Once again, claims made that the PSP2 will have greater network ability and graphics comparable to the PS3. Multiple developers confirming dev kits have been received, and the release is expected to be somewhere around December 2011 in Japan (and I would guess early Spring 2012 for the West if PSP1 was any indication)

Oh and PSPhone is Sony basically saying "WE WANT APP STORE MONEY!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yet another Japanese newspaper has revealed information about PSP2, this time it is Nikkei.

There isn't much revealed this time around, but the quality of what they're dropping is pretty heavy. According to Nikkei, the PSP2 will feature 3G wireless support on top of the original ad-hoc support. This 3G support is mentioned as a faster way of downloading movies and games onto the PSP2 itself, but not used for phone calls?! It will also feature an OLED touch screen, as well as a brand new processor. No word if there's a subscription fee to the 3G support.

PSPhone is just a smart phone running on Android.

From the sounds of it, PSP2 is going to try and be some sort of hybrid iPhone/PSP.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Mug posted:

edit: The big question is pretty much still how will we put the games in the machine?

I'm betting that PSP2 is going the full on digital exclusive route like PSP Go or the PSP2 prototype models seemed to indicate. The use of 3G is mentioned for faster downloads of games and movies, so maybe they're intending to expand the accessibility of access to the PSN to essentially anywhere you can be in a civilized area and get games/moves onto it much faster and easier than an established Wi-Fi connection.

What I'm wondering is just how backwards compatibility is going to be handled if this is the case. Would Sony pull a dick move like "only PSN-bought digital PSP games transfer" or would they finally follow through with the failed PSP Go UMD-to-Digital redeem program. I always imagined that failed because Sony didn't want to put that much effort into standardizing that procedure on what amounts to an experimental model and not a successor.

Come on Thursday!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

My only worry is that SRWZ2 will be UMD only, at least at launch, and that is looking increasingly likely. If they are planning to release the PSP2 soon, and it has no UMD reader only, wouldn't one expect that they have some kind of plan to make the PSP's whole library available to it eventually?

It'll be a very tricky issue if PSP2 went digital distribution exclusive, because there's all sorts of different legal problems that could get games caught up from getting a re-release. Plus you'd have certain games that companies refuse to digitize like Birth by Sleep which I really don't think people are going to want to drop.

If it doesn't have any UMD reader, Sony better have some sort of plan for supporting the previous format. The original PSP Go idea of doing some sort of UMD to digital redeem program was great but Sony never followed through on it, if they could actually do it on PSP2 it would make a world of difference. Of course that sort of idea has a million different ways to go wrong and it'd take a hell of a lot of planning to make it work.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Captain Novolin posted:

I'd hope there would be BC with PSN titles, but I'm not holding out hope for any sort of UMD compatibility.

As much as I'd love to give Sony the benefit of the doubt on pie-in-the-sky ideas, this is as far as I'm dreaming for in terms of PSP2. I'm expecting BC on the digital PSP games and the royal "gently caress you buy it again" if I want a game from a UMD.

Prove me wrong Sony.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

My issue with it is different though, I don't have any UMDs now and don't ever want to buy any UMDs. If I have to buy a UMD in order to play SRWZ2, knowing that that media standard is about to die out, I'm going to be slightly annoyed.

I guess the only thing I can suggest in the face of that decision is to simply not buy Z2 until further information comes out. I'm willing to wager that SCEJ would at least divulge details on backwards compatibility at a conference about the technical capabilities of a new device.

PSP is a big deal, at least in Japan, I could see some digital holdouts deciding to take the plunge if the successor to it turned out to be digital only. I'd like to hope that Bamco releasing those 3 SRW PS1 games on the Japanese PSN a day before this big announcement might be a step in the right direction.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'm not "up" to the rules of 3G wireless networking but these fees for it, don't they typically apply to phones? That could be why the Nikkei newspaper article mentions that the PSP2's supposed 3G wireless functionality doesn't support phone calls.

Then again, I'm still using this crappy little flip phone thing so I have little to no idea of how 3G actually works. The idea though of no longer being tethered to a Wi-Fi connection to buy games or play infrastructure sounds appealing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It appears that PSPhone's name is "PlayStation Pocket", judging from the English OS text in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

Someone got to use the Xperia Play for a few days and wrote about it.

Link to Kotaku's CoverItLive live chat stream of the Playstation press conference. The person covering it found chairs labels for Toshihiro Nagoshi (involved with the Yakuza series), Jun Takeuchi (producer of Resident Evil 5), Kojima and Epic Games.

Oh poo poo! I knew Nagoshi was gonna be there but Takeuchi and Kojima?! God drat man, come onnnn give us those 3DS Resident Evil games come on man!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

Wait, is this conference just going to be about potential new portable systems? No new PS3 games being announced?

I'm assuming as such that it's only going to be about PSP2 and Xperia Play, Sony only uses these conferences to reveal new hardware.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Activision is present as well and someone at Kotaku Japan spotted a sign apparently reading "Next Generation Portable"

T-Minus 10 ya'll.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

I hope they don't talk about Monster Hunter for a long time again, like in TGS.

Oh man that was painful. I'm almost kinda glad this isn't being broadcast because you know they would just black screen any footage that mattered.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, settle in though because it looks like Kaz saved all his pretentious poo poo for this after not using it at E3. He's just gonna blather on about PSPhone for now.

Oh hey Suda51 is here too!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo! Double analogs bitch!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh wow it looks so pretty

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Holy poo poo, Killzone, Hot Shots Golf, and Wipeout!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh poo poo Uncharted demonstration! LET'SGO

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh cool! He's using Sixaxis for aiming the rifle, just like the PS3 wanted!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Yeah, just... just take my money now Sony.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

This thing looks as big as 1000.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You're right, but considering the 3G, the 5" OLED screen, the two touch surfaces, the PS3 quality visuals, the motion hardware, and whatever else they're throwing into this thing, I don't see how they can offer that low of a price.

$350.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Winkie01 posted:

So this thing is more games and phone as apposed to phone with games right?

Yeah, the Xperia Play is the opposite.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

What in the gently caress is he playing? It's like a LocoRoco in 3D.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

They're replacing XMB!?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Gyoru posted:

...Trophies?

Oh gently caress you Sony. gently caress yoouuuuu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

ShinAli posted:

XMB looks way better but this is probably better for screen real estate.

It's probably so they can show off the touch screen.

Gyoru did anyone take high-res shots of the store menus? There must be a gold mine in that first moment he was in the listing.

EDIT: Oh man Near sounds awesome!

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 27, 2011

• Locked thread