Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkaphanel
Dec 29, 2008
I'd push the shark jump just past the wedding and right around the time of the review of the Sirius/XM Merger. The wedding gave us planning neurosis and Sal's invite/uninvite debacle.

The Merger gave us...Jim Cramer as a guest, and rants about the "Audio Entertainment market" I understand this was using his platform/voice to further something he had a financial interest in, but it was boring as all hell after the 3rd time it was brought up and brought some of the "Out of touch" of Howard and Robin into the spotlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Stern fans want Howard to live in constant fear of being a hypocrite and refuse to change and grow up. The guy is a mental case, and that will never change, but people's environments do. I can't blame him for being in his fifties and refusing to insult celebrities to their face like he's some DJ sharpening to be edgy.

I'm not sure what is worse sometimes: people saying a radio show "jumped the shark" or blaming Howard for his life changing due to wealth.

And Artie's laugh alone is enough to make a day better.

I don't think we can blame Howard for changing but we can certainly blame him for letting his show get stale.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
This is a better way to listen on iOS

http://www.musicdock.com/

Also it's free (ad version), unlike Pocket Tunes.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

EngineerJoe posted:

I don't think we can blame Howard for changing but we can certainly blame him for letting his show get stale.

But I'm sure you've read complaints no matter what guest is on the show. Hell, the title of the thread sums up the show's fans mentality. Not that I'm saying there should be an embargo on complaining, because Scott DePace deserves to be blasted as much as possible in all mediums.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

EngineerJoe posted:

I doubt Howard thinks the show is stale at all. During celebrity Super Fan Roundtable Gary asked Howard if he wanted him to fill the Artie chair after his suicide attempt and Howard simply said no.

Maybe Howard thinks the show is evolving into what it is now and having a comedian in there is not something he feels is necessary. Or he can't bring himself to commit on a person or let Artie back.

Artie doing what he did really put this show in a hosed up light that I don't foresee ever changing unless Artie moves on independently from the show.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
SO, Netflix has been putting up every episode of SNL for streaming and the other night I came across the episode with Howard from when he was promoting Private Parts. Yikes...it was awful.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

dawunderboy posted:

Yeah i'm the exact same way, and one of those losers who got what he wanted but hates the outcome. I wanted Artie to get help or get lost, the last few months he was on the show were awful. He would constantly talk over everyone and tell lovely jokes, it was obvious he was hosed up but he was just so god drat annoying. I just wanted to hear Howard, I wanted to listen to what he has to say. Now that Artie's gone Howard is free to talk again and I can't stand it. Robin is free to talk more too and it's just awful (and I used to like her on the show).

I haven't been listening as long as some of you have, but I absolutely agree the show jumped the shark midway through the Sirius years. They had nothing to fight against, nothing to prove and nothing to do to improve their situation. Howard got his subscriber bonus and got the merger, he did what he set out to do and now he can only sit back and collect a cheque.

I agree with Howard's need for a purpose to stay, that's what seemed to be going on the last contract negotiations. He had nothing to rage against, nothing to prove, so he really had no reason to stay so he manufactured this "everyone will fail and be poor if I quit so I have to resign to save everyone" angle (which is true for some but most would have done ok).

I'll say it first: I wish Artie had just stayed on. Annoying Artie is better than Bland Show.

Actually, the whole 'I'm doing it for everybody else' ploy was also a way to cover up Stern's original plan. In late 2009 he started going on and on about how he was going to retire and it was over and he would love if he could just stay home and such. But after the Artie Incident, he changed his tune to 'I want more respect, I'm going to leave because I don't get any respect like Oprah!' As this continued and he finally started insulting some Sirius exec on the air (the "I GO STRAIGHT TO MEL!!" nonsense), that's when he kowtowed and did that kiss-rear end statement about his crew and such and finally noted he was going to phone apps in order to broadcast the show that way and that Sirius was the future blah blah loving blah. I think Artie and the fans threw Howard a few curveballs in his attempt to get another fat contract and that really gave Sirius some advantages when it came to re-signing Stern. Not that I'm blaming Artie (he was headed down this road regardless), but when your fans really start calling you out on your obvious bullshit, that's when Howard knew he was going too far. And who can forget that three week 'I could be on American Idol/see I'm still relevant to the outside world' nonsense?

The most important thing to note about this new contract is that it's the first time Howard tried picking a fight and failed. When they came to Sirius their 'fight record' was pretty good. Now it's just showing that Howard has no teeth left.

Stern fans want Howard to live in constant fear of being a hypocrite and refuse to change and grow up. The guy is a mental case, and that will never change, but people's environments do. I can't blame him for being in his fifties and refusing to insult celebrities to their face like he's some DJ sharpening to be edgy.

I'm not sure what is worse sometimes: people saying a radio show "jumped the shark" or blaming Howard for his life changing due to wealth.

I can't blame the fans. A lot of them are annoying sycophants (that hang out on SFN and shoot down anything) who would listen if it meant getting brain cancer, but most of the angry ones are old fans who realize something Howard doesn't: no matter what brave face he puts on it for Beth, he's still going to be known as Shock Jock Howard Stern. He's never going to be accepted because he made his career out of being a loudmouth jackass who pushed the envelope. If he had just gone balls out with his schtick, he would be in the same position he's in now but with a little more dignity. He hates the fans for calling him out on that.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

Brocktoon posted:

SO, Netflix has been putting up every episode of SNL for streaming and the other night I came across the episode with Howard from when he was promoting Private Parts. Yikes...it was awful.
Do you have the date?

Also, that's funny that you think it is so bad, as didn't Howard spazz out about wanting TOTAL control over the writing of his segment?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I think you could take this thread and the current Simpsons thread and just replace "Howard Stern" for "The Simpsons" and vice-versa.
No matter what the show or medium, after 25 years its going to get stale and have its ups and downs. Both shows seem content to just ride it out as long as possible while we all remember the "good ole' days"
Yet we all still watch/listen and its better than 99% of the other poo poo out there.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I think you could take this thread and the current Simpsons thread and just replace "Howard Stern" for "The Simpsons" and vice-versa.
No matter what the show or medium, after 25 years its going to get stale and have its ups and downs. Both shows seem content to just ride it out as long as possible while we all remember the "good ole' days"
Yet we all still watch/listen and its better than 99% of the other poo poo out there.

"Its better than 99% of the other poo poo out there" isn't really a good excuse for a show losing quality.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: this sovereign citizen stuff might be closer to the truth than we are willing to admit.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

"Its better than 99% of the other poo poo out there" isn't really a good excuse for a show losing quality.
i'm simply waiting for a Ronnie aneurysm at a Rick's appearance, then i'm out.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

Do you have the date?

Also, that's funny that you think it is so bad, as didn't Howard spazz out about wanting TOTAL control over the writing of his segment?

Season 22 (1996-1997), Alec Baldwin episode. Stern is on during Norm's news segment.

For those of you without Netflix: Stern comes out as a commentator, talks about how awful he thinks SNL is (except Norm) and about some of the unfunny sketches he proposed (Fartman blows Kathy Lee's head off and a tumor out of Elizabeth Taylor's head, which Taylor then eats). They then show the lamest, most uninteresting 15 second clip from Private Parts, and when they return, there's a bunch of chicks in bikinis making out and writing around on the news desk.

I can't imagine anyone outside of Howard's core audience being interested in the movie after this segment.

ETA: Found a transcript - http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96nupdate.phtml

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

i'm simply waiting for a Ronnie aneurysm at a Rick's appearance, then i'm out.

I'm waiting for the eventual Eric the Midget death on-air and the funeral where all the callers finally lay into the little turd.

Brocktoon posted:

Season 22 (1996-1997), Alec Baldwin episode. Stern is on during Norm's news segment.

For those of you without Netflix: Stern comes out as a commentator, talks about how awful he thinks SNL is (except Norm) and about some of the unfunny sketches he proposed (Fartman blows Kathy Lee's head off and a tumor out of Elizabeth Taylor's head, which Taylor then eats). They then show the lamest, most uninteresting 15 second clip from Private Parts, and when they return, there's a bunch of chicks in bikinis making out and writing around on the news desk.

I can't imagine anyone outside of Howard's core audience being interested in the movie after this segment.

ETA: Found a transcript - http://snltranscripts.jt.org/96/96nupdate.phtml

I need to see this because it looks completely pointless.

Wasco Jr.
Jan 11, 2006

"Cut the kids in half"
Great job with the OP

Howard was so right about that Kathy Lee, thing today so you bring some poor kid on TV point out that he's such a loving little loser and this other cool kid is like mother Teresa for sitting with him at lunch. Then to top it off you get someone to sing a song about how pathetic his life is right in front of him as some bizarre final humiliation yet SHE'S a good person in the situation. oval office.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

There's also a sketch about a debate between Stern and Cuomo when he was running for Governor. It's in the John Goodman episode in season 19. Michael McKean actually does a really good Howard, and Sandler is funny as Fa Fa Fo-hai.

Transcript: http://snltranscripts.jt.org/93/93sdebate.phtml

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a way to just do an online only subscription? I'd rather not have to deal with my receiver if I don't have to, but I have a feeling they don't do online only do they? I have a SIMS CARD so I should be able to get radio everywhere according to Howard

Louis Buchalter
Nov 11, 2010

They call me Lepke
Does anyone have the sample for "VODKA STRAIGHT UP... THANK YOU" ?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there a way to just do an online only subscription? I'd rather not have to deal with my receiver if I don't have to, but I have a feeling they don't do online only do they? I have a SIMS CARD so I should be able to get radio everywhere according to Howard

Nope. Its considered a 2.99 per month "upgrade"
My brother only listens at his office on his computer so what we did was have him just pay me $35 and I added it to my account. You can set up your own username and password, so I just set him up a login.
If you know someone with Sirius thats what I would do. XM wont work unless they have The Best of Sirius package.

Ether Frenzy posted:

We need to compile a "Top 50 moments" or something list. (and get the clips as well if possible.)

I think thats a cool idea. We could make it part of the OP and edit it as we all figure it out. I think 1-10 would be pretty easy and we would mostly all agree, but those other 40 will be hard to rank.
I know I could name my top 5 pretty fast, but it gets blurry from there.

Mr Lance Murdock fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 4, 2011

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

KKKLIP ART posted:

e: Nevermind!

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 5, 2011

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Nope. Its considered a 2.99 per month "upgrade"
My brother only listens at his office on his computer so what we did was have him just pay me $35 and I added it to my account. You can set up your own username and password, so I just set him up a login.
If you know someone with Sirius thats what I would do. XM wont work unless they have The Best of Sirius package.

Ive got the regular subscription but I really just wanted to do it on my iphone instead of both.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I know this is now a Howard/Sirius only thread, but since Bubba was part of the old thread I have to ask if anyone has the RadioIO app for iPhone? I installed it but I don't see any Bubba-related link in it. I do have the URL that streams it via Safari, but just wondering if any goons have the app and the Bubba option.

URL for desktop (if it wasn't posted already) http://www.radioio.com/genres/btls/Bubba-Army-Radio-LIVE! .

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Mr Hands Colon posted:

I know this is now a Howard/Sirius only thread, but since Bubba was part of the old thread I have to ask if anyone has the RadioIO app for iPhone? I installed it but I don't see any Bubba-related link in it. I do have the URL that streams it via Safari, but just wondering if any goons have the app and the Bubba option.

URL for desktop (if it wasn't posted already) http://www.radioio.com/genres/btls/Bubba-Army-Radio-LIVE! .

I listened today via the radioio website, but it was having issues. I would check out Bubba's twitter. He seems to be keeping people up to date on problems and fixes.
I hate to say this, but maybe the Bubba section of SFN has some info.

From Bubbas twitter last night

BTLSRadio Bubba Clem
Going2 bed.Thanku2 all the true bubba army.please know we will get every mobiledevice working& work out the bugs.tommrrw will b even better

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

And Artie's laugh alone is enough to make a day better.

Back in the day, isn't that why he got Stuttering John? Isn't that why he would let Artie run all over Eric the midget? The problem is with Artie gone, he has no attack dog, he isn't attacking and hasn't for awhile. Howard has always been a softy, he never liked the confrontation and if given a chance would rather "love" somebody.

Eric calls have been boring because they all humor him and Howard goes on and on about how much he loves the little guy (for what reasons?). Eric is a tiny nugget of poo poo, if he wasn't a midget he would be a 5 foot tall pile of poo poo. Hell, he even tries to find redeeming qualities in High Pitch Eric! Artie would roll in there and smack him around and let him attack those people while still keeping his "That's Artie, not me, I love you man" vibe.

He does the same thing with his agent. Telling George Takai to ask his agent instead so he could tell him no.

Man, we need an rear end in a top hat on the show, I'd even settle for Ralph, but he is too busy sucking off the iron man guy and Sam Simon.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Rabbi Gottfried could solve all the problems.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
I agree that they desperately need someone to fill the vacuum Artie left. I seriously can't believe the chair has been empty this long. I get that Howard probably has a lot of mixed-feelings about the Artie situation and probably doesn't want to replace him in fear that it might effect him, but the show is just suffering on so many levels in his stead it's ridiculous.

Axe made the attack dog point, which is spot on. Artie never cared about offending anybody (who wasn't famous) and it made all the whack-packer interactions great. Jeff the Drunk, Eric, Riley, Blue Iris, all so much better with Artie.

Besides that, though, I think the show suffers from them just needing someone fresh, rear end in a top hat or not. Someone besides Robin who has interesting opinions to just talk to. Artie added great lines to the show but he was also that fresh thing for a long while- Howard would always be able to go to him and do 30 minutes of 'What Artie's Eating', 'What Artie's Betting', 'What's Artie Taking?', 'Holy poo poo Look at Artie', or the classic 'Artie's Out Sick Today.' It got to the point where some of us were sick of it, and people were calling for an end to the Artie show.

I think it was better than what we've got now, though, and if Howard were to allow any comedian to sit in on more than one consecutive show at a time it would bring a much-needed breath of fresh air as Howard began dissecting their personal lives and integrating them into the show in different ways.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 5, 2011

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
Listen to 2002 again man, Stuttering John and KC are still there and what I find real intersting listening to is whenever Howard makes a drugs or drink reference Artie has something to say.

We know know for a fact the man is on the horse during this period, its real intersting listening after the fact.

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:

KKKLIP ART posted:

Ive got the regular subscription but I really just wanted to do it on my iphone instead of both.

They do sell an internet only subscription for $12.95 a month. You can get a 30 day trial here http://www.sirius.com/siriusinternetradio

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Can we add the gif of Howard throwing money at Beth in the OP?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

sedative posted:

They do sell an internet only subscription for $12.95 a month. You can get a 30 day trial here http://www.sirius.com/siriusinternetradio

Really? Did not know that.
Unless they changed it, I dont think the 30 day trial has H100 and H101 included.

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp

Graviton v2 posted:

Listen to 2002 again man, Stuttering John and KC are still there and what I find real intersting listening to is whenever Howard makes a drugs or drink reference Artie has something to say.

We know know for a fact the man is on the horse during this period, its real intersting listening after the fact.

Is this in response to me? Because I agree with you and don't see how my post addressed those things, but the "man" makes me think you're responding to me.

Seriously though, it's amazing to me how good a bullshitter he was. It was just completely second-nature to him. It really does stick out how he always had something to say about drugs, and he always had the perfect "Yeah I know about this stuff but I'm not doing it" tone and included a "I had a friend who" or "I've been off X for X" or "I did X once" qualifier.

Didn't we learn that Artie fabricated entire conversations on the air about the therapist and how he hated it, when he actually never went or stopped going after a week or something?

Goddamn he was hosed up.

rawdog pozfail fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 5, 2011

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I guess I should be glad, Canadian Sirius doesn't charge extra for internet streaming or the iPhone app. Of course it isn't all great, the lazy fucks haven't added multi tasking to the Sirius application; the app hasn't been updated once since release but thankfully H100 and H101 did come through automatically.

I'll try MusicDock since apparently it works on Sirius Canada though

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet

Holy Calamity! posted:

Is this in response to me?
Goddamn he was hosed up.
Yeah it was a chat reply. Wasnt very clear sorry.

Graviton v2 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 5, 2011

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The iOS app doesn't have multitasking? That there is reason enough not to bother with an online sub.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sock The Great posted:

The iOS app doesn't have multitasking? That there is reason enough not to bother with an online sub.

You could just use PocketTunes, which has multitasking. Although, it's at the drawback of having to constantly log back in if you go back and forth between listening on your computer.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Sock The Great posted:

The multitasking works fine on the iPad, does it not on the phone (it's the same app)?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

musclecoder posted:

The multitasking works fine on the iPad, does it not on the phone (it's the same app)?

I can multitask with my iPhone and the app, no problems. But I've been using pocket tunes anyway so I can listen to AM/FM stations from back in Chicago.

Also, if you have a friend with the internet sub, install stream_ON. You can have multiple PCs logged in at one time. Hell, once my last satellite sub expired, I only listen on the web/phone via my sister's account.

Frell
Oct 25, 2004
...and goblins and ghoulies and spiders and Mexicans and... http://www.reelzchannel.com/movie-news/8548/zombie-santa-and-richard-christys-holiday-horror-fest

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Artie is the Charlie Parker of radio comedy. He is way too hosed up to be dependable or reliable, and if you put him in a prominent position, he will be so talented and fill the position so well that when he inevitably bombs out of it he will be virtually impossible to replace.

Unless, that is, Howard is the Dizzy Gillespie of radio, which he is way too timid to be at this point.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yay, new thread! Good job on the OP.

I think it's safe to say at this point that the show is in decline... it's still worth listening to, and it still produces great radio on occasion. But that begs the question: at what point did it 'jump the shark'?

Opinions, please.

Seconding the nice job on the OP - thanks duder.

Re: the show jumping the shark. I am going to get killed for this, but I think it jumped the shark when it came to Sirius. For me, most of the moments that make me groan have taken place since they have moved. To whit:

- Howard is patently dishonest with his audience regarding a few things. Namely, not working Fridays. And, when Bubba signed his last contract they were all crowing about it but neglected to mention he wasn't actually live 4 of the 5 days. Also: completely embracing people to further Beth's career that he would normally shun - to our amusement.

- The loving tapes. He has put together one good special in his time with those tapes: Fight Week. Fight Week is one of the greatest things the show has put together. And in the precursor to the tapes - re-recording the old bits. Homocomp 2006 was one of the most embarrassing things I've ever seen him do. It made me embarrassed that he thought it was so awesome.

- Howard sat there while his bro Artie wasted away. If WE saw what a mess Artie was, then you know Howard did.

Just to name three.

I think there have been some real highlights in the last five years - but sadly, more cringe inducing moments for my money. Gary's pitch, Sal's apology - all great stuff. But man, the person Howard has turned into would get his rear end kicked by early-90s Howard.

Agent Burt Macklin fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
You could also say Howard was keeping drug addled artie on the show for us and didn't want to stop it because it was radio gold.

Also the history of Howard stern makes me cringe a lot more then current Howie. I was a kid when I started listening to him, and strippers and fart jokes are great and all, but a lot of his early stuff came off as him doing poo poo to get attention and to shock people. The whole bit with Leno and strippers was pretty stupid, he did it to get a rise out of him and shock him.

Back in the day he was running head to head with Rush, pandering to his crowd. Rush was spewing republican hate while Howard was farting on construction workers and trying to talk about sex.

I like the things on the show that are interesting, the way he picks up on the smaller stuff, whack packers, talking about his mother and childhood and the stories he tells, I hate when he does his radio shock jock poo poo. I'm glad he isn't yelling into a megaphone telling Rosie she needs rear end cancer and I like that he doesn't battle local radio stations for ratings. I also can do without him talking to strippers and whores (unless Artie is there to call them whores and throw money at them and mock them to the point of tears).

I just heard the monday rant about his trip, that was great stuff. I can't wait to hear about KC's tranny too. The less bits and celebs they do on that show, the happier I am. Just start talking to people. Talk to Sal, talk to George Takai, find out what Robin is sticking up her rear end or how Garey has to give up his chicken to his kids. Talk about Beth not blowing you, and Fergie's rear end in a top hat hanging out after being raped by the black guy pe(nis)as.

I like hearing Howard talk, he seems to do more of that now and less of his radio bits and I'm glad for that.