Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Gibbon posted:

Lisa G's segments are driving me crazy, they are so boring, she is so boring. Do you guys ever think out of all the possible content they could put on the show, they chose this? What a waste

Sorry Lisa G is hilarious.

http://twitter.com/lisagisims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Bonzo posted:

my god...my spine just stiffened as I read that in her voice.

Have they ever interviewed her husband or kids?

I love when they get into her story. Like she literally loves Howard, I remember her "joking" about it with her husband, and just feeling bad that the poor dude will never be Howard. I'm also surprised Howard never got her to strip or anything, with as much stuff as she does for him, waiting like a psychopath at any appearance.

I love when they get deeper into what makes somebody obsessed with the show/howard and being a whack packer.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
drat Bubba is full hot on Twitter after that roundtable show.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Wrap-up show in the middle of the day on 100 is seriously loving up my listening schedule. :argh:

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP

Former Human posted:

King of All Blacks is the creepiest bastard. His story today about saving his wife's sweaty socks and keeping them in a plastic bag so they won't lose the scent... nauseating.

KoAB is funny for the first few minutes of his calls into the show but really the best thing about KoAB is Artie's impression of him :(

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
It's also horrible to hear him poorly trying to hook Howard into more air time with absolutely nothing to say and nobody calls him out on it. Howard just seems to play along with him for too long hoping he will do something interesting instead of just asking about Beth's feet or whatever when he runs out of steam.

Chimneyfish
Oct 14, 2003

-Atom- posted:

Does anybody listen to Ferrell?

I've been listening to Ferrall since he was syndicated on an AM station in my city. He was the drive-time guy and one of the more popular shows on the channel, and it's nice that his time slot on Sirius is the same as I've always heard it. I like him because he's one of the only mainstream-type shows that will discuss topics from a gambling perspective, and he actually gets a lot of good guests as far as the sports world is concerned.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Former Human posted:

King of All Blacks is the creepiest bastard. His story today about saving his wife's sweaty socks and keeping them in a plastic bag so they won't lose the scent... nauseating.
Dude don't be thick. He doesn't save his wife's socks, he buys them off the internet. Saving his wife's would just be disgusting.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

KKKLIP ART posted:

Dude don't be thick. He doesn't save his wife's socks, he buys them off the internet. Saving his wife's would just be disgusting.

You think he would use his Moen faucets to clean that poo poo?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
KoAB just gets more annoying the longer he stays on the line. And his comment about Android being garbage (yet he upgraded to an EVO) with Techno Beaver not chiming in to flaunt his massive gadget knowledge was pretty annoying as well.

As for Ferrall, he's good to listen to at times and he's got balls (didn't he break his ankle while getting in a fight at some airport last year?). Don't forget that he is the reason that the whole Iron Sheik gimmick (that has been run into the ground) was all due to him being on his show a few years ago. I remember driving that day with the show on, and all of a sudden Sheik just went off the deep end. It was so loving hilarious, and Stern has tried to replicate that with minimal success.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Djarum posted:

drat Bubba is full hot on Twitter after that roundtable show.

What did Tim say? I didn't hear the roundtable.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
Nice OP, and Happy New Years to all.

Last thread someone mentioned that googling Howard Stern doesn't put his website first and therefore Howard is not the King of All Media.

I immediatley thought that is not Howard's problem, that is Google's problem. I didn't want to post to be my usual bitch self, but today I came across a pair of articles discussing the problems of Google.

I just thought I would share that this is a known problem with Google.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2011/jan/04/google-spam
http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/content_farms_impact.php

If you search for Howard on Bing, his site is the first link. Same with blekko

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Wattsamatta posted:

What did Tim say? I didn't hear the roundtable.

He avoided every subject pretty much and said nothing.

Bubba basically went nuclear on everyone since he felt like everyone decided to stab him in the back and forget about him to try to get his spot.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

pkd88 posted:

Last thread someone mentioned that googling Howard Stern doesn't put his website first and therefore Howard is not the King of All Media.

I immediatley thought that is not Howard's problem, that is Google's problem. I didn't want to post to be my usual bitch self, but today I came across a pair of articles discussing the problems of Google.

Welcome to my world as an SEO and trying to explain to clients as to why their SERP rankings have dropped! Don't Be Evil, my rear end.

fballnlife91
Nov 22, 2010
I really wish some of the actors from my favorite tv shows, ( Castle, Community...etc) would go on the Howard Stern show just so i could hear a real interview. The Seth Rogan interview today was a perfect example. Where else would Seth reveal that information ? Celebrities that go on the show are always honest with Howard and thats why he gets such great interviews and why he is the best interviewer of all time.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Welcome to my world as an SEO and trying to explain to clients as to why their SERP rankings have dropped! Don't Be Evil, my rear end.

Doesn't this make you the cause of the problem?

:)

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Gibbon posted:

Lisa G's segments are driving me crazy, they are so boring, she is so boring. Do you guys ever think out of all the possible content they could put on the show, they chose this? What a waste

All the "news" they do is just filler. There's really like 30 minutes of actual content between Vegucating the Gunt's news block and Ashley Madison ads.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

pkd88 posted:

Nice OP, and Happy New Years to all.

Interestingly, none of the sites that come ahead of him on Google are link farms - it's Wikipedia and an article about him on mtv.com.

I know a bit about SEO, but barely enough to be intelligible - wouldn't some fine tuning on their part increase their ranking? Google's got specific algorithms for how they figure out rankings, right?

Qaz Kwaz
Jul 24, 2003
What's your email? I've got some shitty posts that you NEED to read.
They do, but it has thousands of factors and no one knows quite exactly what the algorithm is, and it changes all the time.

Graviton v2
Mar 2, 2007

by angerbeet
I think the way to think of it is that yahoo and bing or whatever are like the yellow pages with indexes on the company/person name and google is meta meta meta magic.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Holy poo poo. Did anyone else just listen to Bubba tell the story about when he was in high school and he jerked off while watching his buddy have sex in a pool?

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
Really, howardstern.com sucks. The HTML behind it is horrible and in no way set up to be indexed well. The fact that unique URL's are hard to come by (notice clicking Show Rundown keeps you at howardstern.com) is bad too. Frames? In 2011. Really?

Like a lot of things un-related to his show or content he's directly responsible for producing, it's horrible.

Also, Wikipedia has more PageRank than god so that's why it ranks above howardstern.com (it shouldn't if howardstern.com was built well).

Butthole Prince
Nov 19, 2004

She said that she was working for the ABC News / It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

HAHAHAHAHAH ProFootballtalk.com does a daily video show and today they took calls for the first time ever. Guess what happened?
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

I can't find it, what happened?

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world

Butthole Prince posted:

I can't find it, what happened?

They got bababoooied. Its already off the first page, but if you scroll down the 2nd page you will see a picture of Gary and his teeth and the third clip is suppose to have the call.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Kelly posted:

Interestingly, none of the sites that come ahead of him on Google are link farms - it's Wikipedia and an article about him on mtv.com.

I know a bit about SEO, but barely enough to be intelligible - wouldn't some fine tuning on their part increase their ranking? Google's got specific algorithms for how they figure out rankings, right?
Let me preface this by saying that I know jack poo poo about the web but I think one thing that would help would be for howard to actually have good content on his website so other sites would actually want to post links to his site. The more sites linking in, the higher your page rank is. Besides that, if he had a heading on his show review like "Howard Stern - Jenna Jameson rides the sybian in studio" that would turn up more search results for people searching for Jenna Jameson (or who ever the celebrity was that day) and in return would help with searches.

Basically if he just had content on his site he would get a higher page rank because he would have more sites wanting to link in since his site wouldn't suck so much anymore.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Moniker posted:

Let me preface this by saying that I know jack poo poo about the web but I think one thing that would help would be for howard to actually have good content on his website so other sites would actually want to post links to his site. The more sites linking in, the higher your page rank is. Besides that, if he had a heading on his show review like "Howard Stern - Jenna Jameson rides the sybian in studio" that would turn up more search results for people searching for Jenna Jameson (or who ever the celebrity was that day) and in return would help with searches.

Basically if he just had content on his site he would get a higher page rank because he would have more sites wanting to link in since his site wouldn't suck so much anymore.

Don't worry. He has some AMAZING things planned. He's just waiting for the technology to catch up with all the crazy things he wants to do.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

heavy liquid posted:

Don't worry. He has some AMAZING things planned. He's just waiting for the technology to catch up with all the crazy things he wants to do.

I remember way back when that he bought the howardstern.com domain but didn't have a site up claiming, "For what I want to do, technology hasn't caught up with yet". A year or so later I checked the site and it was either a picture of Beth or that loving recipe for engagement chicken.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

heavy liquid posted:

I'm picturing a re-release of Butt Bongo Fiesta with tons of cgi poo poo crammed in everywhere.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Howard totally used internet technology to it fullest when his website had an embedded clip from the show discussing Spread, the amazing new movie from Howard's Hamptons buddy Ashton Kutcher.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Snark posted:

Howard totally used internet technology to it fullest when his website had an embedded clip from the show discussing Spread, the amazing new movie from Howard's Hamptons buddy Ashton Kutcher.

Or pictures from their last day at K-ROCK party. On the Deep Features rotator...

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
Remember when Howardstern.com use to be nothing but their death pool lists?

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Moniker posted:

other sites would actually want to post links to his site. The more sites linking in, the higher your page rank is.

This is the Google problem. When you search for Howard Stern, why would anything but howardstern.com come first?

This algorithm of linking to content is causing the problem.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Kelly posted:

Wikipedia would be considered a content farm.

Gaming the google system to get your web site higher defeats the purpose of a search engine. Google is not that good anymore. You just did your own test search. Do the same thing on the other search engines.

Wooty fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 7, 2011

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

pkd88 posted:

Wikipedia would be considered a content farm.

Gaming the google system to get your web site higher defeats the purpose of a search engine. Google is not that good anymore. You just did your own test search. Do the same thing on the other search engines.

That reminds me of the old days when people would put popular news items in Meta tags in order to get indexed. Or they would make a 1 pixel blank gif with tool tips containing popular search terms.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Somebody get Jeff Schick on the phone.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

-Atom- posted:

Somebody get Jeff Schick on the phone.

He works for IBM,the most innovative consumer electronics company in the world.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

He works for IBM,the most innovative consumer electronics company in the world.

Obviously. That's why the show uses Lotus Notes.

Snark
Sep 19, 2003

no dice
Windows 95? Pfft. OS/2 is the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Smeep posted:

Who gives a poo poo who gives a gently caress.

We need sound board capability