Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I had to root for Stuttering John in the John/Cabbie fight. Cabbie may have been the worst peripheral Stern character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Cabbie was so weird because it was clear he had some major undiagnosed issues but for some reason Howard really wanted to buddy up with him for while. I always got the feeling the rest of staff couldn't stand him, but had to live with him because Howard liked him. He definitely added a lot of good segments to the show mostly because he was nuts. If I recall he had been in a wheel chair for a while now but no one knows why. He couldn't have been more than ~60.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
He supposedly had Guillain-Barré syndrome. Which I think he blamed on Gulf War syndrome.

It’s unfortunate he passed away but it was always a struggle to have much sympathy for Cabbie. I understand he had a rough childhood but virtually everything bad that happened to him was his own fault.

How the hell are you so dumb that you go on the biggest radio show in the country and brag that you don’t pay taxes?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

barnold posted:

Support Our War Dot Com!

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

His best moment wasn’t even really his. His girlfriend’s rendition of KC’s Gay.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
His best moment is the song parody about him of Paint it, Black that a listener submitted.

https://youtu.be/PEhCGFptNE0?si=LPtDba2HxUblbcRf

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Two Kings posted:

His best moment is the song parody about him of Paint it, Black that a listener submitted.

That was pretty drat great.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Two Kings posted:

Strangely, this song was running through my head earlier today, before I heard the news of his passing.

It's probably my favorite song parody in show history just because how perfect the lyrics are in capturing him.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
It's definitely my fav song parody from the show other than Sour Shoes collection about Landford's cock.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Cabbit was a piece of poo poo and there's zero point zero chance Howard will breathe his name on the air.

That being said, he had a lot of great moments (both his own and made about him), so he deserves recognition.

Cabbie, WE SPEAK YOUR NAME!

Waghh Waghh Waghh Waghh Waghh somebody please help me

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

KC, this is Cabbie’s ghost. You know I’ve done some gay things in my life

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Cabbie had one of the best weeks of Get John's Job and I'm forever grateful for that radio, even tho his whack packer sucked- whackem rack willy rackem rackem rackem rackem rackem

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

One thing the internet and especially twitter proved was that average randos can come up with equal or better topical jokes than the professionals who work on the late night shows and other places.

This is a pretty good article from Conan about the guy who sued over similar joke tweets:

https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/conan-obrien-jokes-lawsuit-alex-kaseberg-settlement-1203210214/

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I think Howard liked Cabbie because he actually was pretty drat funny and had great comeback one-liners in most cases. A total fuckup yes, but the Get John's Job week and all the associated ballbusting he did surrounding that was worth it.

RIP to a real one.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

Cabbie had one of the best weeks of Get John's Job and I'm forever grateful for that radio, even tho his whack packer sucked- whackem rack willy rackem rackem rackem rackem rackem

That was Yucko. Cabbie's best bit was because he got made fun of for that lovely "Guess the Nese" game he pulled from a trade magazine.

*Plays someone speaking in an Asian language*
"GUESS THE NESE!"
"I don't know, Chinese?"
"WHAT LANGUAGE?"
"Uhhhh... Mandarin?"
"WRONG! CANTONESE!"

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Taking a step back and thinking about the number of now deceased players from the extended universe of the show’s hey day is getting startling.

Cabbie, Ralph, Ben stern, ETM, Fred the elephant boy, crackhead bob, evil Dave, Riley Martin, Gilbert, Nicole bass, the iron sheik, Joey boots, blue iris, hank, Kenneth Keith kallenbach, Scott’s wife, Ralph Howard, jay thomas..

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Even more startling is they were all outlived by Jeff the Drunk, High Pitch Erik, and Artie Lange

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mexican Radio posted:

Taking a step back and thinking about the number of now deceased players from the extended universe of the show’s hey day is getting startling.

Cabbie, Ralph, Ben stern, ETM, Fred the elephant boy, crackhead bob, evil Dave, Riley Martin, Gilbert, Nicole bass, the iron sheik, Joey boots, blue iris, hank, Kenneth Keith kallenbach, Scott’s wife, Ralph Howard, jay thomas..

drat, I totally forgot evil Dave died. He might still be alive if he had cooled off on all those paint chips.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

"Hi this is Dave, I'm telling everyone who survived the Holocaust, we want you to cheer up. "

https://youtu.be/sqyvAl633Vg?si=wYzNxDJQ6dqfjN0S

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think i may have missed joey boots' death, maybe. That guy always struck me as tremendously sad, but not like in a pathetic way but he always seemed unhappy/unfulfilled from what I remember. Should I look into his life or will that make me sad lol

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Burden posted:

"Hi this is Dave, I'm telling everyone who survived the Holocaust, we want you to cheer up. "

https://youtu.be/sqyvAl633Vg?si=wYzNxDJQ6dqfjN0S

To the parents of kids with childhood leukemia... it's rough!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

I think i may have missed joey boots' death, maybe. That guy always struck me as tremendously sad, but not like in a pathetic way but he always seemed unhappy/unfulfilled from what I remember. Should I look into his life or will that make me sad lol

He lived in the closet too long, that fucks you up emotionally.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Mexican Radio posted:

And then there's Adrain Adonis, Andre the Giant, Bam Bam Bigelow, Big Boss Man, Big John Stud, Chyna....

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

He lived in the closet too long, that fucks you up emotionally.

And treating that depression with colossal amounts of bad cocaine.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
RIP Cabbie. Most people seem to hate the dude but I always liked him...

That time he described having sex with dudes and getting discharged from the army was radio gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q80eIUorxw

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mexican Radio posted:

How is the loving Jokeman still alive?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
How is loving Artie still alive?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

How is the loving Jokeman still alive?

He stopped drinking before it got too late.

edit: seems there was no mention of Cabbie on today's show. Can't say I'm not shocked.

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 1, 2024

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Lifespan posted:

How is loving Artie still alive?

He has female relatives that do their best to keep him alive.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I swear Keith Richard is the like some Head Drug-Vampire and when he dies the curse is lifted and guys like Artie just drop where they are standing

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Bonzo posted:

He stopped drinking before it got too late.

No booze. Tokes and jokes!

I can’t help but hear this in jackie puppet’s voice

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

The things I miss most about the old Stern Show are the parody songs like the Cabbie song above and Robins news

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Was Howard ever planning on writing Crazy Cabbie a note?

drat, I was still reeling from the Ralph news, and now this? :psyduck: :rip:

Lifespan posted:

He couldn't have been more than ~60.

I always thought of him as like, the same sort of "Gen-X old" that Ralph was, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were around the same age.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Cabbie was 55, I Googled it.

Mr Lance Murdock
Feb 29, 2008

Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world
I know its been said but Cabbie Paint it Black is probably one of the best Stern show songs ever made. To think it came from Shuli....need confirmation but I am 99% sure he submitted it as a listener.

I constantly search for the love my parents didnt give, if they really loved me Id know where they live....

Ice cold.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Melrose Larry Green was on live this morning! First time in 7 years.
He's sober and relatively sane, and therefore totally uninteresting. Howard hung up pretty quick.

In more cheerful news, Howard has finally become comfortable discussing his 3.5 year old granddaughter. He puts on elaborate puppet shows and plays with her in the pool, sounds like a pretty awesome grandpa.
He has talked about her in bits before, but he was always hesitant.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

I know its been said but Cabbie Paint it Black is probably one of the best Stern show songs ever made. To think it came from Shuli....need confirmation but I am 99% sure he submitted it as a listener.

I constantly search for the love my parents didnt give, if they really loved me Id know where they live....

Ice cold.

That was LONG before Shuli was a staffer of any kind.

What's Shuli up to these days?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

In more cheerful news, Howard has finally become comfortable discussing his 3.5 year old granddaughter. He puts on elaborate puppet shows and plays with her in the pool, sounds like a pretty awesome grandpa.
He has talked about her in bits before, but he was always hesitant.

I'm kinda going through that now. No matter how old you are, hearing "Grandpa" is an adjustment. But it's so fun. You do the smallest thing and you're a hero for the day. You want them to calm down, just turn on Bluey.

This will drive Beth crazy. Now she's a Grandma and will watch Howard enjoy time with a child that she'll feel should have been hers.

Squashy Nipples posted:

What's Shuli up to these days?

He moved to Elvis Country or something with his wife. I guess they were having issues so he left the city with her.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I'm one of the few that actually thinks Shuli can be funny, it's just that he is super hit and miss and gets overconfident too easily. His attempts for the Artie chair were super cringy. Seems like he would be better off mic writing, but it doesn't seem like he has found any real success doing that so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The few memories I have of Shuli were on the Jay Thomas show. He wasn't bad there but he was also co-hosting with Madison. She was an annoying 90s Channel DJ who kept talking through all the intro knowing it was enrage listeners. She was also the 1st person to go T O P L E S S on Sirius.