Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yay, new thread! Good job on the OP.

I think it's safe to say at this point that the show is in decline... it's still worth listening to, and it still produces great radio on occasion. But that begs the question: at what point did it 'jump the shark'?

Opinions, please.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

-Atom- posted:

Props to whoever came up with it.

LOL, I wrote that 3-4 threads ago, and it just won't die.

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Not in my opinion. The shows following his divorce were actually pretty good and all the shows leading up to Artie getting the Jackie Chair were great, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that they had great people sitting in the Jackie chair.

An argument for when Stuttering John left the show could be made. 99% of the ball busting and arguments came from John starting poo poo.

Agreed, after the divorce was awesome. I think a strong case can be made for John leaving ("...Niggerless Cage"), but ultimately I agree with this one:

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

When Howard got engaged. It all went downhill from there. Some of us older fans thought it would take the show full circle and soon Howard would be back to his old pissed off married self. Sitting in his basement staring at fish tanks.
Sadly, that didnt happen and now we hear about him and his wife getting turkey burgers for dinner. She get cheese and he does not. How cute.

Well, maybe once they actually got married, or maybe once they shacked up, I dunno. But clearly, Beth Oats is the cause of the shark jump. And, IMO, the reason she is so hated by SternFanNetwork.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hearing those clips of Robin in the hall after the psych test segment was loving GOLD. The intensity of her denial is scary.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

chiz posted:

whoa, are there any clips up on youtube? I missed it !

First half hour of today's show.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

AxeManiac posted:

Also Howard was talking about American Idol and Steven Tyler, holy poo poo, is he crazy? That's going to ruin Aerosmith? It's going to make them not cool? What is this, the 90s? Aerosmith hasn't been "cool" for awhile, have they?

Aerosmith hasn't been cool since they all went to rehab. (early 80s)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Smeep posted:

H101 is playing the "You didn't celebrate my birthday properly" fight right now

Just came here to post this... probably over by now, but damned if this isn't one of Quiver's finest moments.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Vakal posted:

And who gave it to the Europeans? Did one of them come over here and steal our internet and take it back over there???

Pretty much. That conversation drove me up a wall... I don't know which part was worse, Howard's total lack of comprehension, or John Hine's inability to communicate anything about it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

It wouldnt surprise me. Its also worse around holidays because you get the advertisers gift push.
Seriously, who is sending Vermont teddy bears for valentines?

Don't laugh, he does a HUGE business with the "give women gifts" holidays, and always has. VT Teddy Bear was one of his most important sponsors on testical radio, and it's one of the business that credits Stern with helping them succeed.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MrMidnight posted:

I mean, what IS that?

Feh!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

musclecoder posted:

I maintain the best thing Howard ever did for his career was to bring in those tapes of his dad yelling at him as a kid. Gave credibility to everything else he said since about his messed up childhood.

No doubt, I remember how excited he was when he first found those tapes!

Before then, I was pretty sure that he was making most of it up.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

The S is for simcard

:golfclap:

I actually have an affection for Elephant Boy, at this point he is the longest running active wackpacker. Although, he has taken breaks over the years.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

Enough with the gay pranks and high pitch mike's gayscapades. He's over 40 and preying on 19yr olds :barf:

Yeah, because straight guys never prey on young women. :rolleyes:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ziglol posted:

I've noticed Fred's been kinda vocal with his 'fake' laugh lately, been mixing it up too.

The "Winning!" drop seems to have energized him, he has been using it a lot.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

CHANNEL 88??!!!

That fuckign killed me. Howard doing his parents is one of the few reliable go-tos that he has anymore.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Holy poo poo, Fred slaying me with the Gilbert laugh drops today.

I think we have two awesome classic Stern bits so far this week: Ronnie doing live reads of the Ronnie TOPLESS drops while the crazy pet lady was on the phone, and using Gilbert's laugh drops to mock his getting fired for comments about Japan.

I'm sorry but, ""Hey Gilbet, what do you think of THAT?" will get me every time. This morning I was laughing so hard that the back of my head ached.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

-Atom- posted:

I don't know though, I've always been somewhat suspect of Howards constant memory loss when it comes to celebrities/shows/events, but he seems consistent on it. Even Gary seems to point out Howard's lovely memory when it comes to show history.

Agreed, but you don't have to be cynical to see that he deliberately uses that on occasion.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

It was actually worse then that... He claimed it was consensual, but he had a hard understanding how a mentally challenged woman might not be able to give consent.

Guy never understands anything. Anything, ever. But he has learned how to pretend to understand.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Kelly posted:

I've got terrible back problems because I was hit by a drunk driver. Dr. Sarno isn't fixing poo poo. When Howard talks about it I want to kick him in the balls.

Ok, Ok, I know that Sarno is an easy punching bag, and Stern is insane about how he applies his teachings, but having read his book, I feel I must partially defend him.

Sarno isn't claiming that back injuries are in your mind, he believes that back pain in people who HAVE NOT sustained physical injuries is caused by stress. Think about it: we've had an explosion in back pain in the modern era, when less and less people actually do any physical labor that might lead to back injuries. Howard was a perfect case for Sarno, because he never strained his back, and he previously had no mechanisms for coping with stress. Howard had some bad back pain, and it was caused by stress. No problem, I buy it.

The funny thing is that Howard himself doesn't understand this distinction.

Once his back pain was gone, Howard took the idea way too far: he mixed it up with some classic, self-hating Rae Stern guilt, and decided that no one ever had real back pain, it was all mental. Apparently, Sarno doesn't care about being misrepresented because it sells more books.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therapy posted:

Let's not forget Howard's brilliant advice to cure JD's insomnia: "Just lie in the dark until you fall asleep. If you don't fall asleep, keep lying there until you do. If you're awake when it comes time to go to work, just go to work. One day, you'll fall asleep."

Most ridiculous poo poo ever.

uhhh... what makes that ridiculous?

Outside of learning some relaxation and/or breathing techniques, what else can you do? Close you eyes, and relax. Even if you don't sleep, you'll get some rest. If you are stressing about not sleeping, then you are creating your own problem.

Most sleep drugs don't work very well, and when they do, people tend to build up a tolerance.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

He's also the first person outside of howard I have heard admit that there's a lot more to sex scenes than "it's all professional".

Yeah, he totally broke Kayfabe on that one... I wonder why more Hollywood types don't fess up to that?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

So I ended up reading the rest of the posts on this page in Howard's DJ voice, hitting the post and talking it up like a fuckin' champ.

As a kid, I always HATED that poo poo... Why the gently caress would you talk over a song like that?

It never made any sense to me. Specially since I prefer instrumental music, and don't really listen to lyrics, it really seemed to crap up the entire song.

OK, we have some people in here from the Radio Biz, can you explain to me the purpose of talking over the song right up until the lyrics start? How did that become a radio standard?

One of my favorite things about the rise of the Classic Rock radio format in the late 80s was that they DIDN'T do this, the DJs would generally shut up right when the song began playing.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I enjoyed hearing the first time that Howard played that period hygiene film from the 1950s... I remember the first time they played it.

"...and blood from inside comes out through an opening between my legs, every 4 weeks for 3 to 4 days."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ragle posted:

She's dumb and broken and bad at her job.

Agree, agree, disagree.

I think that the "dumb and broken" part is what makes her a good audience surrogate. Which is her primary function on the show.

Holy poo poo, one of the best Gilbert appearances EVER. He like, actually talked about his life a little bit. Hearing that laugh live in the studio is one of my great pleasures in life.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, legally changing your name is not easy; it's much simpler to just use whatever name you want.

In California, you can choose whatever name you want on your drivers license, making it essentially a second kind of "legal name".

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Joe Don Baker posted:

Man, richard and sal are the only 2 people on that show who can produce any sort of funny bit. Someone please explain to me what fred norris does for the show???? Isn't he a writer??? When's the last time he produced or did anything funny for the show???

I LOVE Fred, he is my favorite guy on the show. That said, there is a tiny sliver of truth to this statement. While he adds an enormous amount to the show, with both his sound effects, jokes, and the rare comment, he doesn't write any more. He used to do a lot of bits and songs, specially when teamed up with Jackie.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

dyn posted:

Skipping songs is a fantastic feature that would pretty much hold me in as a customer forever. +1 for Sirius if they actually implement that.

I have to agree with this. I enjoy Lithium quite a bit, but I change the station every time they play one of the really bad one-hit-wonders from the 90s. And they have a bunch of those on the play list.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ya know, I never actually SAW Beth O's weddings dress.

http://www.examiner.com/howard-stern-in-national/wedding-dress-wars-beth-o-vs-kate-middleton-picture

Not bad. I still feel like her posed smiles are SCARY, though. She tends to look a lot more natural (and a lot hotter) in the candid pics. I guess the smile is part of the whole Bent-Knee Syndrome.

As for this morning, wow, Depace with the birther poo poo. AGAIN. That is hard to take first thing in the morning at 6 AM. Nice to hear Howard riled up about something, though.

I also found Jesse the bike builder interesting... the whole thing about false accusations ruining his football career. Ouch. :(

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

This is the worst week of this show I have ever heard. What the gently caress? You'd think after a week off they'd have *something* lined up that is interesting. The guests are a bore, the conversation is a bore, and the topics are "access hollywood" worthy.

Yeah, but lots of OBL talk first thing in the morning... When big news events occur, I make sure I'm up early at 6:00 AM to hear Howard's thoughts. Specially since 9/11

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Howard mocking the video game convention is a mixed bag... The people on the tape are indeed mock-worthy, but his total lack of knowledge about video games makes him laughable as well.

"Yeah, they could pay The Who to use a real song in the game, instead they just have some lovely song."

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

musclecoder posted:

Wouldn't a chess convention be similar of people who are experts in chess and don't work?

drat! Good point. Someone should send Wolfie to one.

Leroy posted:

Just as and aside, Howard actually used the Melvins in bumpers back in the 90s, but I wouldn't expect him to remember that.

Fred does the bumper music, and Howard rarely hears it.

Brocktoon posted:

Howard has no concept of artistic fulfillment whatsoever. If you're not making a billion dollars doing something, it's not worth ever doing.

Yes and no... for Howard it's not so much the money as it is "success", which he primarily defines as fame. And pussy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I love Fred's mocking imitation of him... It doesn't actually sound like his voice, but he perfectly captures how freaking annoying he is to listen to.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

That recording of Robin singing Cocaine us the funniest thing on the show since the Sal Apology Tape.

Howard playing that and ripping on her at 6:05 AM this morning helped make my day a lot more bearable.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Brocktoon posted:

Someone needs to tell Howard that his "I don't know how to pronounce this person's name" schtick has never been funny. Wasn't funny with M. Night Shayamalan, still isn't funny with Zach Galifianakis. Neither name is hard to pronounce.

No, M.Knight Shama-lanma-ding-dong was funny for about the first 8 or 9 times, and then it got old.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Corbet posted:

I know some goons used to post collections of people like Eric the Midget, does anyone have a collection of Chris Rock clips? I'd love to listen to him bust Howard's chops.

YES! I would love a collection of all of Chris Rock's interviews!

I also really enjoyed the AC/DC guy... very entertaining.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

To be clear, they haven't banned ALL outdoor smoking in NYC, just in public places where people congregate (and eat). The specific places are marked.

I agree that this is slightly draconian, but at the same time, if you live in a huge, crowded city, you have to make accommodations for your fellow citizens. if you want unrestricted outdoor smoking, move out to the burbs.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I'm wondering if this will just settle out of court because I think Sirius will be forced to define what they consider a subscriber. Like someone said, they were counting unsold cars at one point.

BINGO! I'm pretty sure that Stern's legal team knows this, which makes their strategy is essentially blackmail. I highly doubt that Sirius will let this go to trial for the reason above.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Bonzo posted:

I'll get hate for this but I've always thought that Fallon was picked because Lorne wanted a Sandler Clone. I feel the same for Andy Samberg.

Well, according to Fallon, he was picked because they needed someone who could do impressions, which seems reasonable. I don't think Sandler did too many impressions, he was more of a wacky character kind of guy.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GenoCanSing posted:

Wow.

Uhm...if you guys haven't seen it yet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_tZfMdFnns

Gotta love the Ronnie impersonator.

LOL, love it. Everyone looks a little like who they are portraying, including Robin. Too much hair on the fake Robin, though.

I'm not getting all the hate for Gary's new chapter... he isn't saying anything that Artie didn't already admit to on the air. The only new part is a bit of internal dialog on his part that he has now put in print. Artie would have done the same thing to Gary for an extra chapter.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I wonder how many people are regularly torrenting the uncensored show?

Probably a lot more then 67.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Stuttering Vic had a good run, if brief.