Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

-Atom- posted:

According to Twitter, it seemed like Kevin Smith didn't even try to book himself until pretty late anyway.

Say what you want about his movies but Kevin Smith is a fantastic guest.

Howard mentioned that: He said Kevin boycotted the show for seven years, then asked if he could come in on Wednesday, with three days notice. Howard said they were already "booked up" with Jim Breuer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Howard mentioned that Ron Howard was just in.

He said Ron was different because people also know him as Opie and from Happy Days. That, and he also happened to direct some huge films that made millions and millions of dollars like Beautiful Mind. He also mentioned having James Cameron in who "you know, directed Terminator and Avatar".

He said no one really knows who Kevin Smith is, and one of his biggest filmsis Clerks which is more of a cult film and came out in 1994. I'm not agreeing with Howard... this is just what he said.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Alkaphanel posted:

lists

Don't forget the E! show which ran from 1994-2005 and seemed to be on whenever I flipped by the channel. Over 2,000 episodes!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Moniker posted:

Is there a holiday next week? Or is it just time for a vacation?

So did they just drop Mike Walker? I don't listen as religiously as I once had so maybe I'm missing it.

Not sure about the break, but Mike Walker seems to be gone. He hasn't been on once since December.

I don't think Howard has even mentioned it, unless I also missed it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Moniker posted:

I don't like the fact that he'll probably never be mentioned again. Howard is not honest with his audience and it bothers me.

Howard's never really been honest with his audience. Not even with when he's going on a vacation break. I remember being really disappointed when I first realized what a hypocrite he is. It wouldn't bother me as much if he didn't claim otherwise.

I could care less about Mike Walker and I'm actually glad he's not on anymore, but it's bullshit he'll probably never be mentioned again. But this is the way it always seems to be. No mention of Artie when he left. No mention of KC when he left. Granted, some of the stuff may have been sensitive at the time, but he could have said something to the audience, without revealing too much. Instead, it's like it never existed.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 11, 2011

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

At least we can be comforted by the thought that when he goes to three days a week, the show will be so much better for it. They’ll all be able to concentrate all their best efforts and distill them into just three days. Gary will book some great guests, and Richard & Sal’s skits won’t be overplayed. Yeah, that’s the ticket! Right? Awww, who am I kidding?

What do you think the chances are that he’ll even mention taking the show down to three days a week? Or if he does mention it, it’ll probably be because Eric from Hoboken brings it up: They talk about it for three minutes and it’s never again discussed.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Listen. That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, but I disagree.

What do you do for a living?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

hunter x az posted:

At any rate, lifetime subs are only good for the "life" of the radio.

You can transfer a lifetime sub to another receiver a total of 3 times. I think they have a bullshit $75 transfer fee, though.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Glumwheels posted:

It's $200 a year for XM and the best of Sirius. My radio is my car stock radio and it's only 4 years old. It would be cheaper for me if I keep it another 5+ years. I'm just not sure if the company will be around another 4-5 years.

Didn't realize it was a car receiver. Car receivers with lifetime subs are only transferable if it's stolen or accidentally damaged.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I loved Artie (when he wasn't high) but also thought the "laugh at everything guy" was one of his weaker shticks.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I've noticed for a while that people are really split when it comes to Artie's "Guy Who Laughs At Everything". Kind of like last week's episode of The Office. They either love or hate it.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Vakal posted:

...that sweet, sweet pumpkin beer.

That's my faaavorite.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

It was embarrassing that Howard was only really interested in SNL and 20+ year old movies like Stripes, Groundhogs Day and Ghostbusters.

How about something recent like Zombieland? I would have liked to have heard Murray talk about playing (and making fun of) himself.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Charlie Sheen is on the phone right now. Missed the beginning though, just turned it on right now.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

He sounds much more lucid...still crazy but he has calmed down a bit. Though, that could be because it is 5:30 out there.

Yeah, I'm also surprised by how coherent he sounds. I can actually follow what he's saying. But like you said, it's really early in the morning there.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Who is this annoying Debbie the Amazing Pets Lady?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Where can I get one of these "Wired" magazines? I never see this "Wired" magazine anywhere!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Oh good, it's Kathy Griffin. Hopefully that means Sandra Bernhard or Joan Rivers will be in soon.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Joe Don Baker posted:

His dad also apparently gives him money all the time.

I think he even said his dad gave him $700 bucks yesterday. Jesus.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

musclecoder posted:

I'm glad Howard got rid of the guy with the infectious laugh quickly, but what in the gently caress were they thinking to have him on in the first place?

I love that Robin actually said that she believes SHE has the most infectious laugh in the world. Jesus. Maybe Dr. Drew should re-test her; she might have gained a couple points and now be up to 35 or 36 since the initial test.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

iceaim posted:

Not not just a hypocrite. He's a selfish piece of poo poo for wanting more money when his staff is paid dick.

Actually I wouldn't care if he wanted to sue Sirius, as long as he gave his staff some Christmas bonuses or something.

Stern is pretty much an unfeeling megalomaniac.

No, no. You see, he cares about the people he works with: that's why he's still on the air. What would JD do if he quit? Work at McDonalds? (actually, maybe he'd make more money there)

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I was honestly a bit surprised that he announced he'll be moving to a 3-day week.

1. That he announced it at all.

2. I had started thinking his move to a 4-hour show was because he was angry he didn't get a 3-day week like he wanted. Cutting out 4 hours a week (essentially another show) seemed to me like his "gently caress you" to Sirius for not getting what he wanted.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

MrMidnight posted:

To me, the quality of the show is more important than the quantity.

Same here. The fact that Artie's chair is still empty (put ANYONE in there!) and all the ads (the breaks are over twice as long with the prank calls & song bumpers) really make it difficult for me to enjoy the show.

It's become mostly just been background noise for me at work for the past year and a half. If I didn't already have a lifetime membership, I would have either already canceled or be planning to soon.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

I don't believe any of this.

I didn't believe one word of it either, and found the whole thing incredibly annoying. I don't know if they came up with the idea themselves or with Howard, but either way it sounded like Howard knew it wasn't real from the questions he was(n't) asking, but kept going with it because he thought it was good radio. They just wanted more airtime.

Not only that, but their stories kept changing. They both just kept spouting whatever shocking thing they could think of.

"Yeah, we had sex."
"No we're not in a relationship."
"Yes, it's serious, we're going to get MARRIED!"

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Ha! I knew the Debbie/rear end Napkin Ed thing was fake.

They just admitted it was some lame April fools joke and scheme for them to get more airtime.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 31, 2011

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

Does anyone keep track of the daily commercial breaks and lengths anymore? There's been a break at 7:00, 7:30, and 8:00 so far.

I kept track of the commercials today:

6:57:53 - 7:06:29 (8m 36s)
(missed what they were hawking)

8:17:40 - 8:29:52 (12m 12s)
Adam & Eve, Cheetah Energy Drink, I Hate Steven Singer

8:44:26 - 8:57:14 (12m 48s)
Legal Zoom, End of America 13, Beezid, Cougar Life, Identity Guard

9:40:47 - 9:46:32 (5m 45s)
American Bullion Gold, Loaded Questions, Hannah, Identity Guard, Bud Light

9:51:21 - 9:52:41 (LIVE READ) (1m 20s)
Cheetah Power Energy Drink

10:03:56 - 10:04:35 (LIVE READ) (39s)

Show ended at 10:10:40

Note that I'm counting the skits and songs that they play leading into and out of the commercials as part of the breaks.

I might be off slightly on the first commercial break, because I missed the beginning of it and had to catch it from the West Coast Feed. I think it should actually be closer to a 12m break like the others, but oh well.

So that's a total of 41m 20s worth of commercials/breaks during today's show.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

I wouldn't count that because lately that's been the best part of the show.

Yeah, I guess hearing a 30 year old James Taylor song or "Been Caught Stealing" is better than some of the show has been, lately. Or hearing the T-O-P-L-E-S-S prank calls for the 100th time.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

chiz posted:

all it's missing is Joan Rivers and Lisa Fatandsmelly.

Don't forget Sandra Bernhard!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

George!!!!

EDIT

Jesus Howard, just because you are a awful, selfish human being who can't be forced to do anything nice for another human being does not mean everyone else is.

I mean even if everyone did get their relationship with George because f the show, he has been a heavy contributor and cast member for the last five years at least. No one can have a personal relationship on their own with the man and feel comfortable enough to ask a personal favor as a friend?

Howard really is a terrible, miserable person.

Yeah, I was glad Richard stood up to him. I thought Richard had a good comeback when Howard complained that he wanted George to perform the ceremony because he wanted someone "fun" to wed them. Richard shot back that it was okay when Howard had Kelly Ripa's husband Mark Consuelos perform their ceremony. WTF, Howard.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

Man I love the Foo Fighters, but did anyone else think that was a really boring interview?

I really enjoyed hearing Dave talk about Nirvana. How they came up with songs and the aftermath of Kurt's death. Heard some stuff that I haven't heard anywhere else. But then I'm a Nirvana fan, so I was interested in what he had to say.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Mr Lance Murdock posted:

It also may have something to do with Howard stating the other day he was not a Nirvana fan and how annoyed he got talking about Kurt's suicide.
I dunno, it just felt weird.

Haha, that's too funny! I completely forgot about him saying that.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I agree: I'm not a big fan of David Arquette, but it was really good to have another person in there. I think it also makes Howard step his game up a little bit. It really shows they need someone to fill Artie's chair.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Hmm, it's a rerun today. "This Date In Howard History". Are they off for Cinco De Mayo or is this the start of their new schedule?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

chiz posted:

what's the rerun?

It's a compilation called "This Date In Howard History". Clips from various shows that aired on 5/5, I'm guessing. Right now it's "Mexican Delivery Game" from 2008. Earlier it was "Masturbation Stories" from the 90's, I think.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Every time I see a picture of her "smiling" it looks like she is angry. She's like a robot trying to pretend to have an emotion.

Even if she went to do the show, she'd be back after a couple weeks. Her ratings would be ZERO... POINT... ZERO...

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I'm so happy I missed the whole segment.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jun 7, 2011

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

drat it. As of this morning, Music Dock no longer works for iPhone/iTouch with accounts that aren't "Premium". Hopefully they're able to fix it.

Edit: SiriusXM Streamer no longer works on my computer either. I'm forced to listen to their lovely player in Explorer right now.

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 20, 2011

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

It is a real dick move.

gently caress yeah it is. Nice way to treat people who bought lifetime subscriptions.

No way I'm paying them anything further for 14 four hour mediocre Howard Stern shows a month (when they're not on vacation, that is).

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Kelly posted:

The Internet sub is only $2.99....it's not $12 unless they changed it recently.

It's both. It's an extra $2.99 for internet if you have already have a "qualifying subscription package".

If you want to only have internet, it's the same as having a radio: $12.95/month. They won't give it to you separately.

I paid for two lifetime subscriptions. They don't need any more money from me, even if it's only $2.99/month.

They're really doing themselves a disservice by alienating and pissing off the early adopters who supported them early on. I had nothing but good things to say about them six years ago, but not so much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

A Intimate Rimjobs posted:

The huge disadvantage with not having a comedian in the chair is that Howard isn't willing to goof on guests like Artie was. Having Artie in the studio for the Octomom interview could have made it less of a complete waste of time.

This is so true. There would have been no hesitation from Artie... and it could have made a harrible interview amazing.